PDA

View Full Version : TAS Equipment Report: JR Transrotor Orion Reference FMD With TR 5009 Tonearm

Dre_J
June 23, 2015, 02:31 PM
Equipment Report now online:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21218&d=1435083723

JR Transrotor Orion Reference FMD With TR 5009 Tonearm (http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/jr-transrotor-orion-reference-fmd-with-tr-5009-tonearm/)

MDP
June 23, 2015, 02:55 PM
Thanks Dre.

Myles B. Astor
June 23, 2015, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the link Andre. The Orion is one sexy lady and was made one of my show bling lists! :) Always sounded good too at shows in either the LAMM or Focal rooms with the AT Supreme cartridge and must admit the thought of trying to get the Orion for review crossed my mind more than once. Lucky dog!

When is your cartridge piece going to appear?

Dre_J
June 23, 2015, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the link Andre. The Orion is one sexy lady and was made one of my show bling lists! :) Always sounded good too at shows in either the LAMM or Focal rooms with the AT Supreme cartridge and must admit the thought of trying to get the Orion for review crossed my mind more than once. Lucky dog!

When is your cartridge piece going to appear?
Hi Myles,

The table is easy on the eyes. This is even more so in physical presence than the photo as you have witnessed.

The cartridge characterizations I mention happen often around here but they are not part of a scheduled group review. These are more for my personal data collection and understanding of the operational envelope of each cartridge. Recently, for instance, the AT Supremes' big brother, a new Ortofon (you know which one), and a new Lyra arrival when through the same characterization routine.

Dre

socfan12
June 23, 2015, 09:02 PM
Thanks, Andre. Nice review! Stunning table!

Dre_J
June 24, 2015, 12:43 PM
Thanks Dre.

Thanks, Andre. Nice review! Stunning table!

Thank you.

Peter Breuninger
June 24, 2015, 02:44 PM
These are great looking tables, thanks Dre_J for getting into the sound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLWd7zvYYFo

Mike
June 24, 2015, 02:48 PM
I've always loved Transrotor turntables. How can you not love a turntable named Fat Bob!

http://www.transrotor.de/images/stories/fat_bob_s/img/thumbs/thumb_Fat-Bob-S-Bild-1.jpg

Myles B. Astor
June 24, 2015, 03:56 PM
I have to say that the Goldfinger is the one cartridge that I'd like to hear in my system. Just hate tracking something at 2.7 (?) grams.

Dre_J
July 3, 2015, 01:18 PM
I have to say that the Goldfinger is the one cartridge that I'd like to hear in my system. Just hate tracking something at 2.7 (?) grams.

It tracks and traces wonderfully with some of the lowest distortion numbers I've observed. I don't think the tracking force for that cartridge design would be an issue for you.

If the opportunity arises to hear it in your system, take it.

Dre

Myles B. Astor
July 3, 2015, 03:08 PM
It tracks and traces wonderfully with some of the lowest distortion numbers I've observed. I don't think the tracking force for that cartridge design would be an issue for you.

If the opportunity arises to hear it in your system, take it.

Dre

Well here's to one falling in my lap! :)

Dre_J
July 22, 2015, 11:52 AM
Well here's to one falling in my lap! :)

cheers!

Mike
July 22, 2015, 12:03 PM
I heard the GF last week and immediately jumped up and said to the guy "now what cartridge is that? Wow!"

Dre_J
July 22, 2015, 12:11 PM
I heard the GF last week and immediately jumped up and said to the guy "now what cartridge is that? Wow!"

You may get questions like:
Who?
What system (TT arm, phono, pre, amp, speakers, etc.)?
Where?

TMI? send a PM.

Thanks Dre.

Mike
July 22, 2015, 02:09 PM
You may get questions like:
Who?
What system (TT arm, phono, pre, amp, speakers, etc.)?
Where?

TMI? send a PM.

Thanks Dre.

I visited a member of Audioshark. He is a VERY private person and asked me to keep things private. He had multiple tables and each with multiple arms and carts. All world class stuff. If he wishes, he can chime in here. Let's just say, going to his home was a wonderful experience. He has so many dream systems (like my visit to Rick's). I will say this much, he has many many amps (someone who takes after Joe!) and he played several of them and I was blown away by his Veloce amps and preamp. Class D with tubes. Would never have thought it could sound that good.