PDA

View Full Version : Focal, Pass XS and Lampi

Mike
May 22, 2015, 07:50 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/22/45c56a66433eadfb0014859a01e5195e.jpg

Moved the Focal's upstairs for a demo with Pass this weekend. Sounding awesome!!

veindoc
May 22, 2015, 07:55 PM
Great looking. How does bass play upstairs

Alpinist
May 22, 2015, 07:56 PM
Holy crap! The system looks incredible, Mike. How does it sound compared to the Strads and your other digital sources?

Ken

annapolis Raider
May 22, 2015, 08:11 PM
Mike, think you have the wrong model up there, supposed to be Stellas.... :snicker:

Bodhi
May 22, 2015, 08:24 PM
Holy crap! The system looks incredible, Mike.
Ken+ 1. Congratulations Mike, you have a great looking purpose-built room! The room accents look very nice, and the Vicoustic room treatment products are always good value. That room & the great audio gear in there must bring you a lot of pleasure :thumbsup:.

MDP
May 22, 2015, 08:25 PM
Looks good!

Quit holding back on your impressions :D

Mike
May 22, 2015, 08:29 PM
Holy crap! The system looks incredible, Mike. How does it sound compared to the Strads and your other digital sources?

Ken

First impressions: more focused, more transparent, and BETTER bass.

Mike, think you have the wrong model up there, supposed to be Stellas.... :snicker:

Yes! Who shrunk the speakers?

+ 1. Congratulations Mike, you have a great looking purpose-built room! The room accents look very nice, and the Vicoustic room treatment products are always good value. That room & the great audio gear in there must bring you a lot of pleasure :thumbsup:.

Thank you David. It's a quirky shape, but I've worked hard to make it work (and I have some improvements to make still - Resolution Acoustics bass traps, Stillpoints Apertures, etc.)

Great looking. How does bass play upstairs

Shockingly good. At first pass - maybe even better than the STRADS. No boom boom boom at all! Has to be the downward firing ports. Just like the Salon 2's I had, the downward firing ports work fine. Hmmm....

And you know what? They are on their wheels! Not even spiked or even better, with Stillpoints.

[emoji9]

Gene
May 22, 2015, 09:23 PM

Moved the Focal's upstairs for a demo with Pass this weekend. Sounding awesome!!

Mike, WOW!...you have a very impressive,gorgeous music room....I bet you can really kick back, forget the days troubles and enjoy yourself...Congrats! :congrats:

apdoc2004
May 22, 2015, 10:21 PM
Mike,
That must have been quite an effort to move the big speakers up the stairs! Looks gorgeous. Am I interpreting correctly that you are liking the Focals more than your Strads in this room? Never thought that day would come!!

Anshul

BlueFox
May 22, 2015, 10:37 PM
Mike, that looks great! I love that room shape versus the standard shoebox room design. What are those panels (with 'bar code') you have installed? What effect do they have?

Mike
May 22, 2015, 11:11 PM
Mike, WOW!...you have a very impressive,gorgeous music room....I bet you can really kick back, forget the days troubles and enjoy yourself...Congrats! :congrats:

Thanks Gene! They are different than the Strads. I love both.

Mike,
That must have been quite an effort to move the big speakers up the stairs! Looks gorgeous. Am I interpreting correctly that you are liking the Focals more than your Strads in this room? Never thought that day would come!!

Anshul

Me either! I'm kind of glad I did. I had a friend who's set up more than his fair share of Focal's come over and help me dial them in tonight. Unfortunately he didn't bring a pair of 450iq's with him!

Mike, that looks great! I love that room shape versus the standard shoebox room design. What are those panels (with 'bar code') you have installed? What effect do they have?

Thanks Bud. Those panels are from a company called Vicoustics. They operate as part diffusor, part absorber. I want to experiment with the Stillpoint Aperture panels.

RLL1
May 22, 2015, 11:29 PM
Looks great Mike!! I was hoping you would give the Scala's a shot with the Pass amps. I bet they sound superb.

kzhtoo
May 22, 2015, 11:30 PM
Simply amazing. Bet it sounds heavenly, XS on a Utopia. I love my XA.8 and Electra.

Mike
May 22, 2015, 11:48 PM
Looks great Mike!! I was hoping you would give the Scala's a shot with the Pass amps. I bet they sound superb.

They really do. Great synergy with Pass. My first reaction listening upstairs was "wow, these just disappear." They cast a big deep wide soundstage AND what really threw me was how good listening off axis was. My friend was sitting in the sweet spot and I was over to one side. Lovely sounding.

I may keep these up here a little while...oh yes...[emoji41]

Simply amazing. Bet it sounds heavenly, XS on a Utopia. I love my XA.8 and Electra.

It does! Great synergy. I can now see what you were talking about. The XA.8/Electra combo must be outstanding.

bzr
May 23, 2015, 02:40 AM
:snicker: new speakers coming, good for you!

bayou985
May 23, 2015, 10:06 AM
In New Orleans they would say "Yeah You Right"

Mike
May 23, 2015, 10:24 AM
You could be right. I'm considering another pair of Focal Scala V2's or leaving these upstairs and getting a pair of Sopra No. 2's for downstairs. My Air Tight Distributor just became the Gauder distributor for North America and he has asked me to come and audition the RC7 MK2's this summer. But at the end of the day, I wanted to prove that other speakers CAN work in my room before I do anything. Demo is later....pass and focal is awesome together!

I have a few other things I'm looking at too. I do want to hear Tidal and Verity speakers again - among a few other things.

apdoc2004
May 23, 2015, 11:07 AM
You could be right. I'm considering another pair of Focal Scala V2's or leaving these upstairs and getting a pair of Sopra No. 2's for downstairs. My Air Tight Distributor just became the Gauder distributor for North America and he has asked me to come and audition the RC7 MK2's this summer. But at the end of the day, I wanted to prove that other speakers CAN work in my room before I do anything. Demo is later....pass and focal is awesome together!

I have a few other things I'm looking at too. I do want to hear Tidal and Verity speakers again - among a few other things.

Mike,
Don't forget to put Kaiser Acoustics on your list too. The Kaiser Chiaras and Classic seem to be getting a lot of positive press!:)

Mike
May 23, 2015, 11:11 AM
Mike,
Don't forget to put Kaiser Acoustics on your list too. The Kaiser Chiaras and Classic seem to be getting a lot of positive press!:)

I heard them at Axpona and was very impressed. Would like to hear them at RMAF or CES if they are going to be there.

I have a pair of the new amazing Focal Sopra's coming (yes I've heard them), so I'm not in a big rush and really want to hear the Gauders.

Audiophon
May 23, 2015, 04:08 PM
I have a pair of the new amazing Focal Sopra's coming (yes I've heard them)
I'm curious, what was your impression? We got a private presentation on the Munich show with all-Naim electronics and were not impressed at all.

Last year they played the Grande Utopia with the Naim Statement and that was really impressive and fun!

Mike
May 23, 2015, 04:22 PM
I was very impressed. Super clean sound. Balanced. Nice sound staging. At their price point, they are excellent.

You can't compare them with Grande Utopia's. Those are in another league and definitely another price point.

dfwmediagroup
May 23, 2015, 05:53 PM
I was very impressed. Super clean sound. Balanced. Nice sound staging. At their price point, they are excellent.

You can't compare them with Grande Utopia's. Those are in another league and definitely another price point.?

Mike: What preamp and source are you running the Scalas with?

Mike
May 23, 2015, 06:38 PM
?

Mike: What preamp and source are you running the Scalas with?

Pass XS and Lampi with Aurender N100H.

dfwmediagroup
May 23, 2015, 07:22 PM
Pass XS and Lampi with Aurender N100H.

What's the better match in your opinion, Scalas with Pass or with Accuphase?

Mike
May 23, 2015, 08:01 PM
What's the better match in your opinion, Scalas with Pass or with Accuphase?

Both Accuphase and Pass are excellent. However, the absolute, 100% best match I have ever heard with Focal is VAC. Period. End of story. Not close. VAC and Focal is a match made in heaven. Complete and total synergy.

That being said, I heard Air Tight is an excellent match as well.

dfwmediagroup
May 23, 2015, 09:39 PM
Both Accuphase and Pass are excellent. However, the absolute, 100% best match I have ever heard with Focal is VAC. Period. End of story. Not close. VAC and Focal is a match made in heaven. Complete and total synergy.

Wow, unexpected response. I'll have to check it out. Don't you have some Airtight gear on the way?

Mike
May 23, 2015, 09:50 PM
Wow, unexpected response. I'll have to check it out. Don't you have some Airtight gear on the way?

I sure do! It shipped from Japan last week. I plan on leaving the Focal's upstairs to hear with the Air Tight gear. I'll definitely let you know.

It might be better than VAC with FOCAL....but that's a stiff challenge. From what I've heard Air Tight and Focal is outstanding together.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/23/ee6b2b48e762ef7ead8f5b24adc4277d.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/23/59884feeb82c86d80a83baafd4ce48bb.jpg

dfwmediagroup
May 23, 2015, 10:00 PM
Which Airtight gear are you going with? Yes, I am very interested in hearing how it pairs with the Scalas.

Mike
May 23, 2015, 10:03 PM
Which Airtight gear are you going with? Yes, I am very interested in hearing how it pairs with the Scalas.

ATM-3, ATC-2, ATE-2 and SUT.

bzr
May 24, 2015, 01:02 AM
ATM-3, ATC-2, ATE-2 and SUT.

I am so looking forward to your thoughts on these. I don't have access to the range to hear at whim but love the look & always hear good things about them.

Audiophon
May 24, 2015, 02:10 AM

Mike, did you hear the Gauder Akustik RC9 at CES with Air Tight?

Mike
May 24, 2015, 07:46 AM
Mike, did you hear the Gauder Akustik RC9 at CES with Air Tight?

I wasn't at CES this year. Did you go?

Mike
May 24, 2015, 07:48 AM
I am so looking forward to your thoughts on these. I don't have access to the range to hear at whim but love the look & always hear good things about them.

For sure Kev.

Alpinist
May 24, 2015, 07:58 AM
Hi Mike,

The quality of your systems keep going higher and higher. I see now that the Pass XS Phono is incoming. I think this will be one of the best on the planet. Adding the Lampi GG, mono amps, new Siltech cables and whatever speaker plans you decide on are bringing you to the top of the mountain. I admire your relentless pursuit of audio perfection. You certainly don't let any grass grow under your feet! :D

Best,
Ken

Mike
May 24, 2015, 08:11 AM
Thanks Ken. I'm really excited about the Air Tight gear. The XS phono should be to me in 10-14 days. It should be a major step up from the XP15. The Siltech cables bring things to another level.

Will have to spend some time on the speaker front though. The Gauder RC7 mk2 are up there with a few others. You know a speaker I would love to try that is not crazy priced is the DynAudio C2 or C4 Platinum. My concern is the bass in my room. Will they work? Don't know.

Zellaton has peeked my interest too, as has Tidal and a few others. I really want to concentrate on some of the other technologies that the kids are using. [emoji6] For example, the differences between a well implemented ceramic tweeter and a well implemented diamond tweeter vs a more traditional soft dome tweeter or a ribbon.

I have a few requirements in mind: efficiency (for my AT gear), super smooth tweeter (I don't like bite and detest sibilance), bass friendly (because of my room), etc.

Bodhi
May 24, 2015, 08:44 AM
I really want to concentrate on some of the other technologies that the kids are using. [emoji6] For example, the differences between a well implemented ceramic tweeter and a well implemented diamond tweeter vs a more traditional soft dome tweeter or a ribbon.
...or a well implemented diamond-coated beryllium tweeter ;)

Audiophon
May 24, 2015, 12:29 PM

Unfortunately not. Italy is quite far from Vegas and I couldn't take some days off...

KeithR
May 24, 2015, 12:32 PM
glad you found a speaker you really like and can get behind for others :)

i think they will sound their best on tubes, too!

Mike
May 24, 2015, 12:42 PM
glad you found a speaker you really like and can get behind for others :)

i think they will sound their best on tubes, too!

Air Tight should be great with them.

Audiophon
May 24, 2015, 01:32 PM
Zellaton has peeked my interest too, as has Tidal and a few others. I really want to concentrate on some of the other technologies that the kids are using. [emoji6] For example, the differences between a well implemented ceramic tweeter and a well implemented diamond tweeter vs a more traditional soft dome tweeter or a ribbon.

I have a few requirements in mind: efficiency (for my AT gear), super smooth tweeter (I don't like bite and detest sibilance), bass friendly (because of my room), etc.

I heard the Zellaton speakers several times at shows, and was blown away two years ago at the Hifi Deluxe in Munich (with CH Precision electronics) and also this year the presentation was quite good. They were extremely transparent like electrostats with good tight bass. The tweeter was sweet, however, maybe not as sweet as the accouton diamond tweeters used in the Tidal or Gauder. Some might find the Zellaton a bit on the lean side of neutral, I did not.

I also very much liked the Presentation of the new Tidal Akira (€ 165,000) with Accouton diamond tweeters and midrange. The sound was accurate, with sweets heights and good impact and a deep soundstage. The built quality is just perfect - it doesn't get any better. At the end of the High-End show on Sunday evening we listend to some own music until half an hour after the show officially ended and just enjoyed it. The downside for sure is the price-tag... maybe you'll get the same sound quality for a lower price elsewhere...

Alpinist
May 24, 2015, 10:21 PM
Thanks Ken. I'm really excited about the Air Tight gear. The XS phono should be to me in 10-14 days. It should be a major step up from the XP15. The Siltech cables bring things to another level.

Will have to spend some time on the speaker front though. The Gauder RC7 mk2 are up there with a few others. You know a speaker I would love to try that is not crazy priced is the DynAudio C2 or C4 Platinum. My concern is the bass in my room. Will they work? Don't know.

Mike,

The one thing I wonder about the Zellatons is with their open rear design, how they would work in your upstairs room. I would think that speakers with forward, up or downfiring woofer ports would sound better than speakers with rear firing woofer ports in your room. Nevertheless, I have heard great things about the Zellatons. Best of luck in your speaker quest!

Ken

Mike
May 24, 2015, 10:34 PM
Ken - I would love to hear the Z's again, but my understanding is that they are brutal on amps (not a fit for modest power tube amps for example.)

Agree about the porting, but the STRADS are rear ported, so, hmmm...

Dre_J
May 24, 2015, 10:42 PM

I've heard them...
CES 2015: Digital and Analog Sources (http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/ces-2015-digital-and-analog-sources/)

Best Sound (cost no object): The new Air Tight PC-1 Opus/Transrotor Tourbillion/Air Tight ATE-2001 and Ref Mono /Gauder Akustik Berlina RC 9 speakers/ ACROTEC 8Nines system played my classical music LP with good body and macro-dynamics, and a full soundstage.

Mike
May 24, 2015, 10:47 PM
Thanks Andre. Sounds like a wonderful pairing.

Alpinist
May 24, 2015, 11:03 PM
Ken - I would love to hear the Z's again, but my understanding is that they are brutal on amps (not a fit for modest power tube amps for example.)

Agree about the porting, but the STRADS are rear ported, so, hmmm...

Yup, but the Zellatons are literally open from top to bottom in the rear like a dipole speaker. I need to get to one of these audio shows so I can listen to Zellaton, Lampi, etc.

bzr
May 24, 2015, 11:26 PM
man that Zellation site is frustrating ...

Mike, would love to hear that Air Tight gear with some Wilson Benesch, especially these speakers & generators.

https://youtu.be/2EE2b1pWdBk

Mike
May 24, 2015, 11:35 PM
Steve, have you heard the Wilson Benesch Cardinals?

bzr
May 24, 2015, 11:42 PM
Steve, have you heard the Wilson Benesch Cardinals?

"Mark" ;) no I haven't as I'd be guessing to say there may be only 2 pair in Oz that were ordered!

MikeCh
May 24, 2015, 11:49 PM
Wow Mike, the upstairs setup looks nicer than I'd imagined. I had a feeling you would try them out upstairs sooner than later :D

The system looks great! I can only guess how good it sounds...

Mike
May 25, 2015, 05:45 AM
"Mark" ;) no I haven't as I'd be guessing to say there may be only 2 pair in Oz that were ordered!

Doh! Sorry Kev!

Mike
May 25, 2015, 05:45 AM
Wow Mike, the upstairs setup looks nicer than I'd imagined. I had a feeling you would try them out upstairs sooner than later :D

The system looks great! I can only guess how good it sounds...

Thanks Mike. As they say, if you're ever in town...

ozarktom
May 26, 2015, 10:06 PM
Mike, your room would be perfect for a pair of the Zellatons. Try those in that room and you will never want another pair again. An ex customer of mine from the 80's, when I was a dealer, now owns Hi Fi One in Carlsbad Ca. He is only one of two dealers in the US for Kaiser Kawero. I called him about two months ago and talked about the old days.

He asked me if I was still into the hobby and I told him I had Zellatons. His comment was, "wow, those speakers are as fast as Quads." He said the next time he passes through the Ozarks here, he will stop by and visit.

The amps I am now using are the DAC Cherry Marashino amps. The synergy on my system is incredible. It is pure magic and the Zellatons just totally disappear.

Mike, you would even get better sound since your room is superior to mine.

Mike
May 26, 2015, 10:42 PM
Mike, your room would be perfect for a pair of the Zellatons. Try those in that room and you will never want another pair again. An ex customer of mine from the 80's, when I was a dealer, now owns Hi Fi One in Carlsbad Ca. He is only one of two dealers in the US for Kaiser Kawero. I called him about two months ago and talked about the old days.

He asked me if I was still into the hobby and I told him I had Zellatons. His comment was, "wow, those speakers are as fast as Quads." He said the next time he passes through the Ozarks here, he will stop by and visit.

The amps I am now using are the DAC Cherry Marashino amps. The synergy on my system is incredible. It is pure magic and the Zellatons just totally disappear.

Mike, you would even get better sound since your room is superior to mine.

I would love to hear the Z's in my room. But here's my question. Can they be driven by a 55 watt tube amp? I heard the Z's are absolute pigs for power/current. I love tube friendly speakers.

Mike

jaxwired
May 26, 2015, 11:00 PM
Looks good!

Quit holding back on your impressions :D

Great pic of a gorgeous room. Impressed you got those monsters upstairs.

ozarktom
May 27, 2015, 02:44 AM
I would love to hear the Z's in my room. But here's my question. Can they be driven by a 55 watt tube amp? I heard the Z's are absolute pigs for power/current. I love tube friendly speakers.

Mike

That should not be a problem. I have driven mine with a small 25 watt amp and I hear to get the absolute best sound out of Zellatons is use the 25 watt Audio Consulting power amp. If you go back and read the report when the Zellatons were at the New York audio show a few years ago, they were running a pair of the 30 watt David Berning tube amps.

Personally, I have never read a report that the Z's were power hungry. What is nice, a Job 225 amp or the Marashino cherry amps sounds wonderful with the Z's. You don't have to spend megabucks on an amplifier to get great sound.

ozarktom
May 27, 2015, 03:23 AM
Here was a review from the New York audio show. It looks like the Bernings are 60 wpc.

NYAV12: Audio Arts shows Zellaton, Berning, Holborne, Tellurium Q | Confessions of a Part-Time Audiophile (http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/04/26/nyav12-audio-arts-shows-zellaton-berning-holborne-tellurium-q/)

KeithR
May 27, 2015, 10:43 AM
the only specs I could find say the SR-1 is a 86db speaker into a nominal 4 ohm impedance---so it most likely would measure even less sensitive. i wouldn't consider that 50-watt amp tube territory...or perhaps better said, I'd want to hear it first.

i should also add, i consider Zellatons website very poor in this regard as they don't post specs of their loudspeakers.

Gene
May 27, 2015, 12:30 PM
i should also add, i consider Zellatons website very poor in this regard as they don't post specs of their loudspeakers.

One wonders why not!...the world deserves to know more about these masterpieces! http://zellaton.com/en/