PDA

View Full Version : Project Signature 10 vs. VPI Prime

advanced101
May 2, 2015, 02:26 PM
I am deciding between these two tables, I get a deal on Sumiko Products, so they would both end up being the same price. I haven't heard any reviews on the Project Sig 10, but the VPI Prime has had all good reviews. Any thoughts?

joeinid
May 2, 2015, 02:45 PM
Welcome to the forum advanced101, thank you for joining.

MusicDirector
May 3, 2015, 10:07 AM
Personally, I like the aesthetics of the Project slightly over the VPI, but that's a matter of personal taste. That said, I'm thinking both appear to be fine tables,but what is sticking in my mind is the customer service aspect and with that I'd lean towards the VPI from what I have heard a number of times.
Just my thoughts.

jdandy
May 3, 2015, 12:00 PM
advanced101.......Both turntable and tonearm combinations look very good. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Having said that, I think the Project Signature 10 is a much more attractive looking turntable, finished to a much higher degree than the VPI. The rough edge around the wavy plinth on the VPI Prime looks unfinished. I also have some reservations about VPI's 3D printed tonearm. It seems to be the darling of the pundits right now, but I have a tendency to think it is a lot of hoopla about the technology of using 3D printing to create a tonearm. My preference is for a more traditional tonearm built in a tried and true fashion. A removable headshell also has the advantage if you use multiple cartridges. Just my opinion, of course.

http://www.project-audio.com/inhalt/bilder/tn/signature10.jpg

jperry
May 3, 2015, 12:12 PM
If you get a deal on Pro-ject I would consider buying the Xtension 12 with the optional Ortofon tonearm. That is an excellent tonearm, and the tonearm contribution to the sound is usually underestimated. This would be an especially good choice if you are going to use a low compliance MC cartridge

advanced101
May 3, 2015, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. The Pro-ject is definitely a beautiful table. I would get the Superpak with the Celebration II cartridge. $1000 for a $2400 cartridge in the Pak.

paristhea
November 28, 2015, 10:59 AM
If you get a deal on Pro-ject I would consider buying the Xtension 12 with the optional Ortofon tonearm. That is an excellent tonearm, and the tonearm contribution to the sound is usually underestimated. This would be an especially good choice if you are going to use a low compliance MC cartridge

I am also in the process of changing my TT and the Signature 10 is one of the contenders. But i noticed above that you seem to prefer the Xtension 12 instead of the Signature 10. May i please ask why?
In the Pro-ject line up i am considering Xtenions 9, Xtension 10, Xtension 12 and Signature 10. My cartridge is Benz Micro Glider SL. Other components are all Pro-ject RS range, like phono RS, pre RS, power RS and power supply too.
Thanks.

paristhea
November 28, 2015, 11:07 AM
I just posted another reply but i don't see it on the screen.

I am in the process of selecting a new TT asa replacement to my ageing Linn Axis (have had it since 1988). I bought last December a Benx Micro Glider SL, which i am very happy with and intend to use it on the new TT.

JPerry seems to prefer the Xtenion 12 instead of the Signature 10, so i like to ask why. I am considering various models by Project, such as the Xtenion 9, the Xtenion 10, the Xtension 12 and the Signature 10.
My other components are all Pro-ject RS range, such as phono box RS, Pre RS, Power RS and power supply RS.
I am also considering Linn Sondek Majik, Clearaudio Performance DC or SE.

Pro-ject i find them a very good value for money products, and i would therefore consider them as my first choice.
The problem is where i live the dealer does not have them available to listen.
Does anyone have experience of the Pro-ject high end TT's by any chance?

Many thanks,

joeinid
November 28, 2015, 04:45 PM
Welcome to the forum paristhea, thank you for joining.

Stringreen
November 29, 2015, 07:35 PM
DD...if you had any experience with the 3D arm....listening and working with it, you would Double Down on your uninformed comments. The 3D brings out the best in the cartridge ..no exaggerations for the better or worse in any part of the spectrum.