PDA

View Full Version : MCD1100 arrival and one of the last you can buy new

Golucid
March 17, 2015, 07:34 PM
Just brought home my MCD1100. Here it is all factory sealed. Unboxing photos forthcoming.

Tracking down a new MCD1100 was not easy. I called more than 30 retailers across the USA. I found one place that had only one that they couldn't sell, imagine that; and actually, forgot about. I am pretty stoked right now.

I have installed it and played a couple of Sarah McLachlan tunes and now toying with the optical input via my Astell & Kern 240 [they are getting along very nice, see photo]. I'm on a high right now. So everything sounds dreamy.

Oh, something too note. I was forewarned that the CD transport may need to be adjusted due to shipping and any transport/movement. I did my research! When I first installed it. The drawer would not open. But when I looked at the CD drawer positioning, I could see there was something amuck.

The spacing above and below the die-cast drawer was not aligned evenly. In fact, the upper most portion of the drawer seem to be touching the lip opening. I popped the top and adjusted the transport screws until it was perfectly centered. Note: adjust two most forward screws are intentionally not taught for this very reasoning.

Once I dialed in the spacing.... BOOM!

Mike
March 17, 2015, 07:36 PM
David - you are the man - McMan that is! Congrats on the MCD1100.

Also, 6 x 2301's! That's just mean! The sound of my 2301's still haunt me to this day. Man, I have to get another pair.

Alpinist
March 17, 2015, 07:45 PM
Just brought home my MCD1100. Here it is all factory sealed. Unboxing photos forthcoming.

Tracking down a new MCD1100 was not easy. I called more than 30 retailers across the USA. I found one place that had only one that they couldn't sell, imagine that; and actually, forgot about. I am pretty stoked right now.

I have installed it and played a couple of Sarah McLachlan tunes and now toying with the optical input via my Astell & Kern 240 [they are getting along very nice, see photo]. I'm on a high right now. So everything sounds dreamy.

Oh, something too note. I was forewarned that the CD transport may need to be adjusted due to shipping and any transport/movement. I did my research! When I first installed it. The drawer would not open. But when I looked at the CD drawer positioning, I could see there was something amuck.

The spacing above and below the die-cast drawer was not aligned evenly. In fact, the upper most portion of the drawer seem to be touching the lip opening. I popped the top and adjusted the transport screws until it was perfectly centered. Note: adjust two most forward screws are intentionally not taught for this very reasoning.

Once I dialed in the spacing.... BOOM!

Congrats David! The MCD-1100 is a sweet machine. I'm sure you will love it. I wish I had the confidence to make those on the fly adjustments like you did, nice job!

Enjoy,
Ken

Bodhi
March 17, 2015, 07:56 PM
Boom baby!! Big congrats David snapping up a very sweet sounding and musical spinner! :yahoo1:Nice on the fly adjustment as Ken mentioned too. It sounds like the Mac's drive is similar to the Phillips Pro 2 LH which is mounted on springs & is not bolted down firmly as such. I know with the Pro 2 LH, if the player is tipped more than 90% in transit that can cause the drive to go out of alignment, but is easily fixed in the field if you know your way around the mechanism :).

o0OBillO0o
March 17, 2015, 08:22 PM
Really nice photos too! Congrats!

Steve
March 17, 2015, 08:46 PM
Congrats! It's an awesome spinner with an awesome DAC implementation. Sure to become a McIntosh classic.

matowi
March 19, 2015, 05:53 AM
Looks lovely! And if it plays only half as good as it looks, it's a dream. Enjoy! And congratulations :)

sent from my iPhone (sorry for typos) via Tapatalk