PDA

View Full Version : Nothing new? Kinda dull around here!

Katoomer
February 9, 2015, 11:36 PM
Pretty quiet on the Shindo Forum lately. Must be something new guys, come on!

An acquaintance of mine recently purchased an absolute mint pair of JBL Hartsfield speakers
in Rosewood. Original owner, never been modified. From an estate sale. Perfect speaker to pair with Shindo.
He will treat them to the proper amplification I'm sure. What else is new?

Loop4fun
February 9, 2015, 11:54 PM
Hi Dale,
I'm just trying to digest my December purchases... A Lumin S1 from Mike, and an AMG TT plus cartridge from my dealer in Dallas.

Paul
February 10, 2015, 01:34 AM
Hi Dale,
I'm just trying to digest my December purchases... A Lumin S1 from Mike, and an AMG TT plus cartridge from my dealer in Dallas.
How is the S1 with Shindo ? What other digital product did you try before ?

Thanks

joeinid
February 10, 2015, 05:39 AM
It's probably quiet because everyone is happy. That's a great sign. :)

Paul
February 10, 2015, 10:21 AM
Pretty quiet on the Shindo Forum lately. Must be something new guys, come on!

An acquaintance of mine recently purchased an absolute mint pair of JBL Hartsfield speakers
in Rosewood. Original owner, never been modified. From an estate sale. Perfect speaker to pair with Shindo.
He will treat them to the proper amplification I'm sure. What else is new?

Dale...Amazing speakers........Enjoy it in good health

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcfbvepuHE

P.S : I always wonder what kind of camera he uses it. Every his video (Even at 480P) looks fantastic and sounds unbelievable....the music starts at 12:29

Mike
February 10, 2015, 10:31 AM
Beautiful speakers! Thanks for sharing Paul.

Loop4fun
February 10, 2015, 07:15 PM
How is the S1 with Shindo ? What other digital product did you try before ?

Thanks

Paul, I also have an AMR DP-777 which is phenomenal. I decided to go the NAS route to simplify my digital life and move my Mac Mini out of the room. I ordered the new DP-777SE a year ago and have been loaned a unit to use in the meantime. What started off as a 30 day wait has turned into quite the process.

I installed the S-1 into the system and used it's BNC out to use the AMR. It's as easy as flipping the switch to A/B the two. Both sound almost identical. I don't think I could pick between the two in a blind test. (Unless I knew the file was DSD) ;)

To me, sounding as good as the AMR is a huge PLUS for the Lumin. I really didn't expect it. I'm still waiting for the 777SE to arrive, which I've been told could be before the end of February. Once it does, I'll put it in the system and use both for a while. If they are still equals in PCM, I'll keep the Lumin. Actually I'll keep the Lumin either way. I just love it and love the NAS simplicity and solid operating system. I've had zero issues once I learned how to edit and input files.

Plus, I spend more time with LP's anyway! I wanted a high quality, easy to maintain system, and the Lumin more than delivers. I also think the FPGA of the S1 will allow it to be software upgradable and somewhat "future proofed".

As to Shindo with digital, it's a no brainer. The Giscours is equally at home with either input. But NOTHING sounds as present or jaw dropping as the AMG/Etna combo. I get excited every time I fire it up!

Paul
February 11, 2015, 12:13 AM
Thanks Bill. Glad you are enjoying your S1 and AMG. I'm torn between on A1 or PS audio DS .....:)

Paul
February 11, 2015, 11:54 AM
Bill. Do you use any SUT ?

Loop4fun
February 11, 2015, 08:56 PM
I'm using the A23 with the Etna. It might have a little too much gain into the phono of the pre, but it still sounds great and matches well. The A23 is also good with my old Dynavector which was .3mv in output. The Etna has .56mv, so almost double. It's now loud with the volume at 9 o'clock rather than 12.

I also have a Bob's 1131 Blue which is a great match with the Dynavector, but not as good with the Lyra as the A23 is.

BTW, My old Adikt mm is back on the Linn and I'm using an iFi iPhono with it into a line input of the Giscours. Stupid good results!

Loop4fun
April 23, 2015, 01:54 PM
Bill. Do you use any SUT ?

Paul, I switched to a Lyra SUT... Figured it would be most compatible. It's OUTSTANDING. I would guess it's on par with the Hommage in terms of quality, but designed for the Lyra line.
http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=10754&stc=1http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=10755&stc=1

As to the thread topic, I took the plunge with Matt yesterday and ordered the WE 300b monos! Now for the long wait. Nothing dull here!!

http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=10756&stc=1

KeithR
April 23, 2015, 02:56 PM
wow- congrats on the WE300Bs :)

I was at Matt's on Saturday- really good time with folks. Heard the Y'Quems on the A23 Hommage and Shindo Latour speakers. Still waiting for the Gibbon Xs to show up...

dlb2
April 23, 2015, 03:15 PM
Keith, what are your thoughts on the A23 Homage speakers?

Loop4fun
April 23, 2015, 04:18 PM

I'm wondering the same thing.

Mike
April 23, 2015, 04:28 PM
When you reach the top of the mountain, where do you go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loop4fun
April 23, 2015, 04:41 PM
Chapter 7? ;)

When you reach the top of the mountain, where do you go?

the professor
April 23, 2015, 04:43 PM
No, no, no

You start building another system!

dlb2
April 23, 2015, 04:56 PM
Bill, congrats on the WE300b monos. The best of the best. How long will it be to take delivery?

Loop4fun
April 23, 2015, 05:24 PM
Thanks Doug! Matt said about 4 months... That "Takashi is very busy". Which I guess is a good thing.

Seems like a long time!

Bill, congrats on the WE300b monos. The best of the best. How long will it be to take delivery?

Cucumber_jones
April 23, 2015, 10:15 PM

I love my pair. They are awesome. Keith what did you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
April 23, 2015, 10:25 PM
Silly question, but are there any shindo amps suitable for my Strads (93db/4 ohm)?

Paul
April 23, 2015, 10:28 PM
Silly question, but are there any shindo amps suitable for my Strads (93db/4 ohm)?

0 = Zero = None = Not approved = No Shindo for you LOL

Mike
April 23, 2015, 10:29 PM
0 = Zero = None = Not approved = No Shindo for you LOL

If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't even be asking. You ruined me with your Shindo.

Jack
April 23, 2015, 10:57 PM
Mike

You can always try contacting John Gleason again in West Palm Beach and see if he has something on the floor he will let you try as a "dealer to dealer" trade. You might have something he wants to try or hear. He is supposed to have Shindo and AN amps in stock.

Mike
April 23, 2015, 11:04 PM
Thanks Jack. Any idea what Shindo amp would be appropriate (if any)?

Jack
April 23, 2015, 11:38 PM
Mike

Since JA measured pretty much all of the bass region of the speaker below 4 ohms I don't think unfortunately any of the single ended amps would like the Strads even though he measured them at 93 db. Most of the push pull amps should work, but then you are using the usual suspects for tubes, EL34, KT-88, etc. Since John's main speaker business is Reynaud and Harbeth those may be the types of amps he has in house. Jerome may be a better source as he has apparently tried Shindo with several brands of speakers.

Loop4fun
April 24, 2015, 02:11 AM
Thanks Jack. Any idea what Shindo amp would be appropriate (if any)?

CC80 might come closest. 4 ohms is a tough load for Shindo's tubed amps.

http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=10763&stc=1

Mike
April 24, 2015, 07:30 AM
Mike

Since JA measured pretty much all of the bass region of the speaker below 4 ohms I don't think unfortunately any of the single ended amps would like the Strads even though he measured them at 93 db. Most of the push pull amps should work, but then you are using the usual suspects for tubes, EL34, KT-88, etc. Since John's main speaker business is Reynaud and Harbeth those may be the types of amps he has in house. Jerome may be a better source as he has apparently tried Shindo with several brands of speakers.

CC80 might come closest. 4 ohms is a tough load for Shindo's tubed amps.

http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=10763&stc=1

Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to look for something else. [emoji22]

arthurs
April 24, 2015, 09:53 AM
Bill - we need to get together sometime and swap Shindo listening sessions, I'm in Northwest Ft. Worth...

KeithR
April 24, 2015, 11:00 AM

To be honest I was in the back having cocktails with folks and wasn't in the sweet spot. From what I could tell they were really "alive" sounding with great dynamics and presence, but no real low end (no surprise since its an 8" single driver speaker). I own Zu full range driver speakers, so am generally a fan. Cabinet work looked very nice- and I'm not a retro person usually. Apparently there are vents on the back?

dlb2
April 24, 2015, 12:29 PM
To be honest I was in the back having cocktails with folks and wasn't in the sweet spot. From what I could tell they were really "alive" sounding with great dynamics and presence, but no real low end (no surprise since its an 8" single driver speaker). I own Zu full range driver speakers, so am generally a fan. Cabinet work looked very nice- and I'm not a retro person usually. Apparently there are vents on the back?

I think cocktails in the back sounds like the perfect place to be. :) Thanks for your thoughts on the speaker. I was thinking that the lower end would suffer a bit. They might be a great speaker for some types of music but maybe not as an all-around performer. If all I listened to was older jazz I would be all over something like this.

KeithR
April 24, 2015, 12:33 PM
Agreed- and we were playing Miles Davis on Matt's RTR :)

I listen to lots of electronica (and put Bonobo on the big Latours when we switched), so its not really a speaker for me, but I enjoyed hearing it.

Loop4fun
April 24, 2015, 01:47 PM

Mike, Maybe you should visit with Jerome before you throw in the towel... He used his amps with speakers in the efficiency range you are looking at. 84db and 6 ohms, but I think they dip lower.

Cucumber_jones
April 24, 2015, 07:04 PM
I thought jerome sold his shindo amps.

Katoomer
April 24, 2015, 09:49 PM
Chris, quiet or you'll wake the sleeping giant.

Cucumber_jones
April 24, 2015, 10:02 PM
Giant opinion that is!

Jerome W
April 25, 2015, 11:34 AM

No I did not.
They are still on sale but I will still be very happy to keep them.

Loop4fun
April 25, 2015, 10:02 PM
Sounds good!

Bill - we need to get together sometime and swap Shindo listening sessions, I'm in Northwest Ft. Worth...

D11D
April 26, 2015, 10:06 AM
ordered masseto and montille waiting on delivery...

joeinid
April 26, 2015, 10:49 AM
Welcome to the forum D11D, congratulations and thank you for joining.

Katoomer
April 26, 2015, 07:15 PM
ordered masseto and montille waiting on delivery...
Welcome D11D. What speakers will you be pairing with your new Shindo?

arthurs
April 26, 2015, 07:17 PM
Congrats D11D! Speakers?

D11D
April 26, 2015, 08:49 PM
Living Voice IBX-RW. I'll use a23 cables, and vinyl as my main source via versalex well tempered TT.

kev313
May 2, 2015, 05:35 PM

Different speakers! :)

Schmitt
July 25, 2015, 05:46 PM

Katoomer
July 25, 2015, 09:01 PM
And I was going to vote for him! Not now!
Oh, wait a minute. I'm Canadian, I can't vote.

Mike
July 25, 2015, 09:10 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/25/4cb2cb09e20cfbefae584d7c0821e1af.jpg

Loop4fun
August 8, 2015, 07:13 AM
300b have arrived!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

arthurs
August 8, 2015, 12:30 PM
300b have arrived!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very cool Bill! Keep us posted on sound...

Jerome W
August 9, 2015, 12:21 AM
Very nice set up.
Which cart are you using ?

Loop4fun
August 9, 2015, 03:46 AM
Very nice set up.
Which cart are you using ?

Jerome, I'm using the Lyra Etna and the Lyra Erodion SUT into the Giscours' phono input. The Etna is what it i.e., but the real sleeper is the relative unheard of Erodion SUT. It must weigh six pounds of solid goodnes
I was in love with the Cortese, but the We 300b are in a different league. The presence and tone of these amps must be to be heard to be believed.

BTW, I will be in Chateauroux from August 16 through the 31st. I'm the US judge for the World Aerobatic Championship held there this year. It should be a lot of fun!

Jerome W
August 9, 2015, 04:15 AM
Jerome, I'm using the Lyra Etna and the Lyra Erodion SUT into the Giscours' phono input. The Etna is what it i.e., but the real sleeper is the relative unheard of Erodion SUT. It must weigh six pounds of solid goodnes
I was in love with the Cortese, but the We 300b are in a different league. The presence and tone of these amps must be to be heard to be believed.

BTW, I will be in Chateauroux from August 16 through the 31st. I'm the US judge for the World Aerobatic Championship held there this year. It should be a lot of fun!

Thanks !
I can imagine easily how wonderful must be the WE 300B amps.
World Acrobatic Championships ?
Could be a nice event for my kids.
Will check that.
Cheers,
J.

BayStBroker
August 9, 2015, 07:30 AM
How does the AMG cartridge compare with other cartridges you've owned. I see that they sell it very inexpensively to AMG buyers. That could imply many different things...

Schmitt
August 16, 2015, 11:13 AM
No, he meant world aerobatic championships. Thats a difference.

Loop4fun
August 16, 2015, 01:30 PM
No, he meant world aerobatic championships. Thats a difference.

Big difference! but if the kids love airplanes they would enjoy watching. You'd best look at the schedule for the 4 minute freestyle which is usually the last day of the event. It would be the event to watch.

Bongo
August 31, 2015, 12:01 AM
As a former twelve year old, I concur that airplanes darting and looping through the sky are freaking awesome. The only problem is that the mere thought of it as an adult causes instant nausea.

joeinid
August 31, 2015, 12:12 AM
As a former twelve year old, I concur that airplanes darting and looping through the sky are freaking awesome. The only problem is that the mere thought of it as an adult causes instant nausea.

:roflmao: Ha!