PDA

View Full Version : Ultima Rhythm 2 Sub

MDP
January 22, 2015, 02:15 PM
I just read a great review of the Rhythm 2 sub in the February edition of Stereophile.
I certainly has me intrigued :exciting:

I plan on hearing it at David Baskin's place next week.
He will have Salon 2's paired with the Levinson No 52 preamp, the Hegel H30 stereo amp and two Rhythm 2 subs.
Should be fun to see what they add to the already world class Salons.

PacMan
February 7, 2015, 03:16 PM
Did you hear the sub as planned ?

PacMan
February 7, 2015, 07:21 PM
The subwoofer looks great, by the way. And I guess it is top quality.
http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9667&stc=1

Ritmo
February 8, 2015, 09:57 AM
Mark - That's supposed to be a hell of a sub. It does require careful setup however. Let us know how you like it.

MDP
February 8, 2015, 11:06 AM
I will Mike, I hope to hear it next week.

PacMan
February 13, 2015, 07:40 PM
I will Mike, I hope to hear it next week.
Have you heard it now ?

Mike
February 13, 2015, 08:11 PM
Revel Ultima Rhythm2 powered subwoofer | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/content/revel-ultima-rhythm2-powered-subwoofer)

PacMan
February 13, 2015, 08:12 PM
Revel Ultima Rhythm2 powered subwoofer | Stereophile.com (http://www.stereophile.com/content/revel-ultima-rhythm2-powered-subwoofer)
Thanks !
This is maybe the first time I have seen a Stereophile review where the measurements are mixed inbetween the "soft part" (subjectivist part) of the review.

gusgranite
February 14, 2015, 12:05 AM
"stirring my emotions in new and unexpected ways"

Sounds like something out of 50 Shades of Grey... :)

That's quite the sub though.

MDP
February 14, 2015, 09:47 AM
Have you heard it now ?

My dealer has not got it set up yet, when he does I will go hear it.

Glareskin
February 14, 2015, 09:48 AM
My dealer has not got it set up yet, when he does I will go hear it.
Are you aiming for one or two subs?

MDP
February 14, 2015, 12:25 PM
Hans, I've never really done the subwoofer thing. I would like to just get one, but people have been advising me that to get the best results I would need two.

I just don't know if I want two of those big monsters in my living room , where my main system will be.

Glareskin
February 14, 2015, 02:44 PM
Hans, I've never really done the subwoofer thing. I would like to just get one, but people have been advising me that to get the best results I would need two.

I just don't know if I want two of those big monsters in my living room , where my main system will be.
I don't think it is necessary to use two Mark. But with one it is just that the placement and setting is a bit more critical. If you can place the sub in the middle between the speakers it would be easy though.

Alpinist
February 14, 2015, 02:49 PM
I just read a great review of the Rhythm 2 sub in the February edition of Stereophile.
I certainly has me intrigued :exciting:

I plan on hearing it at David Baskin's place next week.
He will have Salon 2's paired with the Levinson No 52 preamp, the Hegel H30 stereo amp and two Rhythm 2 subs.
Should be fun to see what they add to the already world class Salons.

Hi Mark,

This is an incredible looking unit. I would imagine that it would give you nice extension as well as some additional heft in the lower bass. I have also read that one subwoofer for each channel is preferable but at these low frequencies it is certainly not vital, especially if you have space constraints or budget restrictions.

Best of luck with your audition!

Ken

PacMan
February 14, 2015, 05:29 PM
I don't think it is necessary to use two Mark.
+1

Face
February 14, 2015, 08:07 PM
I don't think it is necessary to use two Mark. But with one it is just that the placement and setting is a bit more critical. If you can place the sub in the middle between the speakers it would be easy though.

That wouldn't do much to fix bass nodes. The "easy" spot is nearfield, beside or behind the listening position with the correct amount of delay.

When possible, multiple subs are the way go to.

Minimalism
September 17, 2015, 10:30 AM
i had always felt that my salon2 lacked lower end punch and was interested to get the rhythm2- but I feared that imperfect setup due to less than ideal positioning and delay setting, would lead to bass integration problems and would just not match up with listening to just the salon2s standalone... Any thoughts? Perhaps I should just wait for the salon3s to come out. Do you think it would be soon?

joeinid
September 17, 2015, 03:28 PM
Welcome to the forum Minimalism!

Alpinist
September 17, 2015, 04:53 PM
i had always felt that my salon2 lacked lower end punch and was interested to get the rhythm2- but I feared that imperfect setup due to less than ideal positioning and delay setting, would lead to bass integration problems and would just not match up with listening to just the salon2s standalone... Any thoughts? Perhaps I should just wait for the salon3s to come out. Do you think it would be soon?

Welcome to Audio Shark! I spoke with Revel a couple weeks ago and they said there was no Salon 3 in the pipeline. They are just looking at ideas at this point. This sub is the real deal though. With proper setup it could give you all the bass heft you require.

Ken

Minimalism
September 22, 2015, 10:48 AM
Thanks, guys. It's going to be a tough choice between subs and waiting for the salon3... Tempting to just go with the subs isn't it!

Alpinist
September 22, 2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks, guys. It's going to be a tough choice between subs and waiting for the salon3... Tempting to just go with the subs isn't it!

Based on my conversations with Revel, you may have to wait awhile for the Salon 3. The Salon 2 has been a home run for them and a cash cow. I don't they're feeling a pressing need to come out with the Salon 3 and it doesn't appear to be their main focus.

Ken

Minimalism
September 23, 2015, 02:56 AM
Got it. Thanks, Ken!