PDA

View Full Version : Holy Shindo!

Mike
December 11, 2014, 04:26 PM
Shindo Labs Complete Custom System Petrus, WE300B, custom field coil speakers, turntable | Full range | Catskill, New York 12414 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community (http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-shindo-labs-complete-custom-system-petrus-we300b-custom-field-coil-speakers-turntable-2014-12-11-speakers-12414-catskill-ny)

mep
December 11, 2014, 04:44 PM
Looks like a real bargain so you better jump on it quick.

dlb2
December 11, 2014, 06:28 PM
Amazing system. Can't believe he's trying to sell it on A'gon and not through a dealer or even Jonathan himself.

Sent from my HTC One.

mep
December 11, 2014, 07:11 PM
Amazing system. Can't believe he's trying to sell it on A'gon and not through a dealer or even Jonathan himself.

Sent from my HTC One.

Is it amazing because it's Shindo or is it amazing because it really sounds amazing? Has anyone heard this system?

KeithR
December 11, 2014, 07:20 PM
Defines turn-key system :)

Curious to what he's replacing with. Or maybe he was levered to oil prices~!

joeinid
December 11, 2014, 07:28 PM
Mike,

Can you loan me a few thousand until my second mortgage comes through? I want to bid on that system :) He's pretty local.

dlb2
December 11, 2014, 08:30 PM
Joe, I'm available to drive the U-haul if you need a hand.

Sent from my HTC One.

joeinid
December 11, 2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks Doug. I'll need the help. I hope I can scare up enough for the gas money. ;)

Sent from my HTC One.

joeinid
December 11, 2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks Doug. I'll need the help. I hope Ican scare up enough for the gas money. ;)

Sent from my HTC One.

dlb2
December 11, 2014, 08:59 PM
If you have an extra bed, I'll pay for gas. It might cost you one of those IC's though.

Sent from my HTC One.

Mike
December 11, 2014, 09:50 PM
Is it amazing because it's Shindo or is it amazing because it really sounds amazing? Has anyone heard this system?

Good question. It's amazing to me because of the total price. Not that it is or is not worth it - but you don't see entire system sales at this level often. Shindo gear really holds its value that's for one thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul
December 11, 2014, 10:16 PM
I would love to buy the whole system.....:(

dlb2
December 11, 2014, 10:35 PM
I would love to buy the whole system.....:(
It would be your dream system Paul.

Sent from my HTC One.

tunes
December 11, 2014, 10:48 PM
Oh yeah ! That must be one killer system.
Would love the shindo garrard 301. Drool.

sonnyv727
December 11, 2014, 11:46 PM
I'll ad this system on my holiday wish list Mike...:rolleyes:

Katoomer
December 12, 2014, 12:51 AM
the speakers are the real prize. Rest of the gear is off the shelf. Doubt you'll ever see another pair of
speakers like those. Amazing

joeinid
December 12, 2014, 02:09 AM
Anything for you Doug!

Thanks.

If you have an extra bed, I'll pay for gas. It might cost you one of those IC's though.

Sent from my HTC One.

kev313
December 12, 2014, 08:11 AM
the speakers are the real prize. Rest of the gear is off the shelf. Doubt you'll ever see another pair of
speakers like those. Amazing

Where the heck did those speakers come from? Wow.

kev313
December 12, 2014, 08:13 AM
Looks like a real bargain so you better jump on it quick.

Maybe. It's either crazy money OR less than what is now the cost of the flagship speakers from many high end companies for Shindo's best products. Eye of the beholder,I guess.

mep
December 12, 2014, 08:18 AM
Shindo gear is made with NOS vintage parts if I read AD correctly. How would that stack up with a Marantz Model 7 pre and a pair of Model 9 amps?

kev313
December 12, 2014, 09:49 AM
Shindo gear is made with NOS vintage parts if I read AD correctly. How would that stack up with a Marantz Model 7 pre and a pair of Model 9 amps?

Would stack up ok, but I'd keep the heavy stuff on the bottom,

soundqcar
December 12, 2014, 09:52 AM
I once listened at length to his Vosne Romanee pre-amp. It was spectacular. I unfortunately require remote capabilities, so she'll never be mine. :(

mep
December 12, 2014, 09:56 AM
Would stack up ok, but I'd keep the heavy stuff on the bottom,

Sounds like something I would have said. :)

kev313
December 12, 2014, 09:59 AM
Ok ok ... My honest answer would be that you would probably see some similarity in the vintage type parts and Shindo definitely has classic build quality - exceptional point to point wiring. The parts are a mix of old and new, however, and selected for sound in a particular circuit. There is, I believe, no similarity between Shindo and Marantz circuits. Shindo was not unfamiliar with classic US hifi. As such, the sound is not easily compared.

Contrary to popular belief, usually heard from those with not much experience with the gear, Shindo is not "colored," "warm," or "romantic" in my experience. It has no relationship whatsoever to classic Mc sound and my Shindo preamps (Aurieges, Monbrison, and VR) sounded nothing like my Marantz 7. I have no experience with the 9s.

mep
December 12, 2014, 10:12 AM
I have absolutely zero experience with Shindo gear. However, I don't know how you can build gear using vintage parts and not have some vintage sound creep in there.

Mike
December 12, 2014, 10:26 AM
Mark - here is my best advice: don't ever audition Shindo gear. It will ruin you. It has a haunting, goosebump inducing, magical, beautiful sound that I have never heard from any other tube based system. Even the lower priced Shindo gear has such a haunting magical quality. I prefer it to the best of the best tube gear I've heard - including Audio Note and anything else I can drum up in my brain from past listening.

Not to start a whole war/fight, but my issue with Shindo is two fold: SOME owners are downright nasty if someone even hints that Shindo might not be to their liking (for whatever reason, even though they've probably never heard it). Note to Shindo owners: your sh!t is the best I've heard, it's probably the best you've heard, you know it, I know it, 99.99999999999999% of everyone who has ACTUALLY HEARD Shindo knows it - so stop worrying....laugh at the fools who have never heard it, but yet have offer opinions on Shindo.

Second, I think Shindo gear is so good it has a wider application than JH is prepared to admit. Don't believe it? Email Shindo Japan like I did and ask them about pairing Tannoy (or something similar) with Shindo and you will likely get a two thumbs up response like I did.

Yes, yes, yes, I get the whole synergy thing....but synergy extends beyond brands being carried by a certain distributor is carrying. Why? Because no one could possibly know all the good, better, best combinations. Why? Because combinations are near limitless.

Back to the topic at hand....that turnkey Shindo system would be a dream for any Shindo owner/prospective owner.

Paul
December 12, 2014, 10:45 AM
Mark - here is my best advice: don't ever audition Shindo gear. It will ruin you. It has a haunting, goosebump inducing, magical, beautiful sound that I have never heard from any other tube based system. Even the lower priced Shindo gear has such a haunting magical quality. I prefer it to the best of the best tube gear I've heard - including Audio Note and anything else I can drum up in my brain from past listening.

Not to start a whole war/fight, but my issue with Shindo is two fold: SOME owners are downright nasty if someone even hints that Shindo is not to their liking (for whatever reason). Note to Shindo owners: your sh!t is the best I've heard, it's probably the best you've heard, you know it, I know it, 99.99999999999999% of everyone who has ACTUALLY HEARD Shindo knows it - so stop worrying....laugh at the fools who have never heard it, but yet have offer opinions on Shindo.

Second, I think Shindo gear is so good it has a wider application than JH is prepared to admit. Don't believe it? Email Shindo Japan like I did and ask them about pairing Tannoy (or something similar) with Shindo and you will likely get a two thumbs up response like I did.

Yes, yes, yes, I get the whole synergy thing....but synergy extends beyond brands being carried by a certain distributor is carrying. Why? Because no one could possibly know all the good, better, best combinations. Why? Because combinations are near limitless.

Back to the topic at hand....that turnkey Shindo system would be a dream for any Shindo owner/prospective owner.

That's me ! :roflmao:

Well said Mike ~!

joeinid
December 12, 2014, 01:23 PM
When Mike's right, he's right. Note to self, don't listen to Shindo.

That's me ! :roflmao:

Well said Mike ~!

arthurs
December 12, 2014, 02:24 PM
here is my best advice: don't ever audition Shindo gear. It will ruin you.

I'm screwed....

NOLG4EVR
December 12, 2014, 03:26 PM
This is a beautiful system and possibly the ultimate Shindo set-up. With the exception of the speakers I am familiar with the retail prices on the components and am not sure how he came to his price. Unless the speakers are VERY expensive 285k retail seems high. Regardless of price this is definitely a Shindo lovers dream.

KeithR
December 12, 2014, 04:52 PM
Ok ok ... My honest answer would be that you would probably see some similarity in the vintage type parts and Shindo definitely has classic build quality - exceptional point to point wiring. The parts are a mix of old and new, however, and selected for sound in a particular circuit. There is, I believe, no similarity between Shindo and Marantz circuits. Shindo was not unfamiliar with classic US hifi. As such, the sound is not easily compared.

Contrary to popular belief, usually heard from those with not much experience with the gear, Shindo is not "colored," "warm," or "romantic" in my experience. It has no relationship whatsoever to classic Mc sound and my Shindo preamps (Aurieges, Monbrison, and VR) sounded nothing like my Marantz 7. I have no experience with the 9s.

Shindo isn't warm? a bit vintage, warm sound is how I would describe Shindo sound to a newbie.

kev313
December 12, 2014, 05:03 PM
Shindo isn't warm? old school/vintage, warm sound is how I would describe Shindo sound to a newbie.

Yes, sorry, I would totally disagree. Then again, these words are imprecise and mean different things to different people. My system and Shindo experience are fairly public for any to evaluate the context of my comments. Within that, I do not find Shindo to be vintage at all. At least in the sense that it means fuzzy, non-dynamic, veiled, not resolute, etc. Those...er... Co morbidities frequently accompany "warm," "vintage," and "romantic."

KeithR
December 12, 2014, 05:24 PM
warm isn't a bad thing, Kev313. music itself is warm.

omodo
December 12, 2014, 07:32 PM
This is a beautiful system and possibly the ultimate Shindo set-up. With the exception of the speakers I am familiar with the retail prices on the components and am not sure how he came to his price. Unless the speakers are VERY expensive 285k retail seems high. Regardless of price this is definitely a Shindo lovers dream.

Indeed, unless he paid 150+ for the speakers, seems unlikely..

I believe this system has been on the market for a while, just not quite so publicly. An acquaintance told me about it at least 6 months ago, and the figure was substantially lower than being asked now. I guess the owner has traded it and the dealer is trying to flip it?..

Mike
December 12, 2014, 08:05 PM

I believe this system has been on the market for a while, just not quite so publicly. An acquaintance told me about it at least 6 months ago, and the figure was substantially lower than being asked now. I guess the owner has traded it and the dealer is trying to flip it?..

Yeah, I heard he went to Q7's and Soulution.

kev313
December 12, 2014, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I heard he went to Q7's and Soulution.

Nope. He's working on a more.....complicated arrangement.

Mike
December 12, 2014, 08:11 PM
Nope. He's working on a more.....complicated arrangement.

Wow...do tell....

kev313
December 12, 2014, 08:11 PM

The seller on Audiogon is not the owner and he is not a dealer. It is, I suspect, Jeffrey Jackson...as you can see, the Audiogon seller name is Experience Music.

Mike
December 12, 2014, 08:13 PM
I want those 300b amps! Those are sweet.

kev313
December 12, 2014, 08:14 PM
I want those 300b amps! Those are sweet.

Me too!

socfan12
December 12, 2014, 08:32 PM
The ad mentions 'the Shindo dealer in NY'. Anyone know if that is In Living Stereo?

Myles B. Astor
December 12, 2014, 08:34 PM
The ad mentions 'the Shindo dealer in NY'. Anyone know if that is In Living Stereo?

That would be my guess.

Hues
December 12, 2014, 09:02 PM
Me too!

Make that three of us!

Bruce
December 12, 2014, 10:58 PM
I requested to view some Pictures--Nix/nada--guess they smell the curious--even so the pictures are sparse and none of the TT

Bruce

kev313
December 12, 2014, 11:03 PM

Latours are what? 70,000 or 80,000. Custom designed one off Shindo speakers with three field coils each were probably well past the Latour range.

Katoomer
December 12, 2014, 11:20 PM
Are you guys missing the whole point of these speakers? Custom designed and built by a Master that is dead. Most likely the only pair ever built like that. If I played in that league I would buy them in a heartbeat.

arthurs
December 12, 2014, 11:20 PM
I once listened at length to his Vosne Romanee pre-amp. It was spectacular. I unfortunately require remote capabilities, so she'll never be mine. :(

I'm haunted by the time I spent listening to the VR.....she will be mine....yes, she will be mine.....:evil:

omodo
December 12, 2014, 11:41 PM
The seller on Audiogon is not the owner and he is not a dealer. It is, I suspect, Jeffrey Jackson...as you can see, the Audiogon seller name is Experience Music.

I realise it's not the owner. I did see the name and thought it might have been Jeffrey Jackson but didn't bother looking into it further (low feedback, etc). Dealer/Manufacturer, just semantics really.

omodo
December 12, 2014, 11:56 PM
Latours are what? 70,000 or 80,000. Custom designed one off Shindo speakers with three field coils each were probably well past the Latour range.

Perhaps, but really just another pair of drivers (+ associated modifications, power supply), the horns (JBL 537-500) are more easily obtainable than those used in the Latour, cabinets appear more complicated. Of course we're all just speculating, maybe Jonathan can share more information.

http://i57.tinypic.com/712y6r.jpg

NOLG4EVR
December 13, 2014, 01:00 AM
I'm haunted by the time I spent listening to the VR.....she will be mine....yes, she will be mine.....:evil:

You will not be sorry purchasing a VR. I listen to mine nearly every night and am still amazed at the detail and musicality it brings to the presentation. Go for it.

Jerome W
December 13, 2014, 11:14 AM

Not to start a whole war/fight, but my issue with Shindo is two fold: SOME owners are downright nasty if someone even hints that Shindo might not be to their liking (for whatever reason, even though they've probably never heard it). Note to Shindo owners: your sh!t is the best I've heard, it's probably the best you've heard, you know it, I know it, 99.99999999999999% of everyone who has ACTUALLY HEARD Shindo knows it - so stop worrying....laugh at the fools who have never heard it, but yet have offer opinions on Shindo.

Mike....

I am impressed how your Shindo love grew up.
Without knowing you well, I think again about some PM's we had about a pair of speakers that you once had and sold.

You must be clearly a Music lover.
Shindo, like some other brands, are made for music lovers. Not for sound lovers.
They allow us to connect better with the artistic performance.
I am less and less impressed by systems who make little music and "impressive" sounds.
Systems who put you deep in the performance are pretty rare and become easily identified when we educate ears.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

mep
December 13, 2014, 11:23 AM
Mike....

I am impressed how your Shindo love grew up.
Without knowing you well, I think again about some PM's we had about a pair of speakers that you once had and sold.

You must be clearly a Music lover.
Shindo, like some other brands, are made for music lovers. Not for sound lovers.
They allow us to connect better with the artistic performance.
I am less and less impressed by systems who make little music and "impressive" sounds.
Systems who put you deep in the performance are pretty rare and become easily identified when we educate ears.

I don't want to derail this Shindo thread, but I have found a pair of speaker cables that does exactly that in my system. They simply connect you deeper inside of the performance. It's like someone came into your room and removed unnecessary components from your system that were creating barriers between you and the music. Back to Shindo.

arthurs
December 13, 2014, 11:47 AM
I don't want to derail this Shindo thread, but I have found a pair of speaker cables that does exactly that in my system. They simply connect you deeper inside of the performance. It's like someone came into your room and removed unnecessary components from your system that were creating barriers between you and the music. Back to Shindo.

Well? What are they?

mep
December 13, 2014, 12:03 PM
Well? What are they?

Viero Equilibrio Level 3 speaker cables. Hopefully my review will be published shortly. I happen to know another reviewer who currently has these cables that I reviewed in his system for a follow-up review. ;) I miss those cables dearly.

Mike
December 13, 2014, 12:04 PM
Viero Equilibrio Level 3 speaker cables. Hopefully my review will be published shortly. I happen to know another reviewer who currently has these cables that I reviewed in his system for a follow-up review. ;) I miss those cables dearly.

Mark, you obviously missed the memo: Cables Don't Matter. :P

mep
December 13, 2014, 12:25 PM
Mark, you obviously missed the memo: Cables Don't Matter. :P

Mike-You are quite right. I missed that memo and the rest of the flat-earther memos

kev313
December 13, 2014, 01:07 PM
If you guys are interested in gorgeous, field coil based, Shindo friendly type speakers, I would urge you to contact Jonathan and look at the New A23 based speakers using LM drivers. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/13/20534c637b0bdc32db59e81c63cb65d0.jpg

Mike
December 13, 2014, 01:08 PM
Beautiful! Have you had a chance to hear them?

Jerome W
December 13, 2014, 01:11 PM
If you guys are interested in gorgeous, field coil based, Shindo friendly type speakers, I would urge you to contact Jonathan and look at the New A23 based speakers using LM drivers. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/13/20534c637b0bdc32db59e81c63cb65d0.jpg

I love their look !

kev313
December 13, 2014, 01:11 PM
Beautiful! Have you had a chance to hear them?

Yes, but not in person. They are quite new. 2 way. Field coils. That LM tweeter is supposed to be out of this world good.

mep
December 13, 2014, 01:13 PM
Yes, but not in person. They are quite new. 2 way. Field coils. That LM tweeter is supposed to be out of this world good.

Huh? How did you pull that off?

kev313
December 13, 2014, 01:16 PM
Huh? How did you pull that off?

It's pretty advanced technology. Video. With sound.

mep
December 13, 2014, 01:38 PM
It's pretty advanced technology. Video. With sound.

Well then, I guess I have pretty much heard every speaker in the world, just not in person.

kev313
December 13, 2014, 01:44 PM
Well then, I guess I have pretty much heard every speaker in the world, just not in person.

Easy fella. I'm not making any representations on the sound based on listening. Just pointing out the existence of an interesting speaker. Jeez ... Virtual hanging out with you on a forum is like hugging a triangle.

Cucumber_jones
December 13, 2014, 02:06 PM
If you can't afford the speakers kev posted there are always these auditoriums. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/13/7fca029b06f030403c50a992c114766b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
December 13, 2014, 02:14 PM

I would LOVE to hear these.

briguy
December 23, 2014, 01:55 AM
Perhaps, but really just another pair of drivers (+ associated modifications, power supply), the horns (JBL 537-500) are more easily obtainable than those used in the Latour, cabinets appear more complicated. Of course we're all just speculating, maybe Jonathan can share more information.

http://i57.tinypic.com/712y6r.jpg

I've seen the invoice for this system. These speakers were $144K new. I think the whole system was $260K new. I bet the system could be had for $160K. Biggest advantage is probably not having to wait for everything to come in.

briguy
December 23, 2014, 01:58 AM
These are hot! Any idea what they are gonna cost?

kev313
December 24, 2014, 02:30 PM
These are hot! Any idea what they are gonna cost?

What?

Schmitt
July 27, 2015, 12:54 PM
This system has been sold. It was one of the better Shindo Systems.

rower
September 14, 2016, 10:27 PM
I looked at it before it was advertised. He would only sell it as a system and I didn't have the room for those speakers.

He - and I know who it is - sold it because he didn't think it sounded great. Jeffrey is building him a full custom horn system. Already actually. Jeffrey is building some amazing horns and dedicated amps/preamps to go with them. I heard one of his monsters and it is impressive.

kev313
September 14, 2016, 10:44 PM
Out in the commune?

rower
September 14, 2016, 10:49 PM
Looked at it virtually and spoke to him and Jeffrey (who first introduced me to it). Yeah, I didn't go to the barn where it was located. Saw the pic's though.

Walter
October 13, 2016, 07:37 AM
Now, you shouldnt do this anymore.

rower
June 18, 2019, 08:56 PM
I've seen the invoice for this system. These speakers were $144K new. I think the whole system was $260K new. I bet the system could be had for $160K. Biggest advantage is probably not having to wait for everything to come in.

Old memories, as i thought about this system many times but the speaker size was daunting and years later I am still waiting for the building permit to build where it would have gone. It was redundant with what i had too in many places. But those speakers looked so good... though I will have to put up with my Latours instead! Ha! Jeffrey Jackson was building him custom horns,

Walter
July 28, 2019, 02:43 PM
"I've seen the invoice for this system. These speakers were $144K new. I think the whole system was $260K new. I bet the system could be had for $160K. Biggest advantage is probably not having to wait for everything to come in."

Net worth maybe $14K. Rest is for profit only.