PDA

View Full Version : What cartridges are you using?

Pages : [1] 2

puroagave
November 28, 2014, 03:02 PM
Currently in rotation: Audioquest 7000 NSX, Zyx Airy3, Lyra Clavis DC
http://s25.postimage.org/oh7e4fnkv/047e_2.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Loved but not forgotten: Benz L2, Transfiguration Spirit III, Dynavector XX2, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration.
http://s25.postimage.org/62wv0gba7/006.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Mike
November 28, 2014, 03:05 PM
Benz Micro LP-S and Ortofon Cadenza Bronze.

Considering ZYX Universe II

Missing....my DynaVector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ctop
November 28, 2014, 03:26 PM
Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement and Ikeda KAI

bzr
November 28, 2014, 03:49 PM
Benz Micro LP S & Shelter 501 III. Not sure if the next purchase will be another arm or cartridge, but, who am I kidding, it'll probably be both.

tunes
November 28, 2014, 03:59 PM
Kev,
You thinking about adding the optional second armboard to the amg? I have been considering this as well but may not have the space due to rack position. Would be interested in your impressions if you go that route.
Chris

astrotoy
November 28, 2014, 05:10 PM
I have a Lyra Skala for stereo, and Miyajima Zero Mono. With a VPI, I can switch wands and cartridges in a few seconds.

Larry

bzr
November 28, 2014, 05:54 PM
Kev,
You thinking about adding the optional second armboard to the amg? I have been considering this as well but may not have the space due to rack position. Would be interested in your impressions if you go that route.
Chris
Chris, it would be way down the track for me at the mo, I'm still high on owning an AMG & Benz

Garth
November 28, 2014, 06:15 PM
Currently in rotation: Audioquest 7000 NSX, Zyx Airy3, Lyra Clavis DC
http://s25.postimage.org/oh7e4fnkv/047e_2.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Loved but not forgotten: Benz L2, Transfiguration Spirit III, Dynavector XX2, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration.
http://s25.postimage.org/62wv0gba7/006.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

They are all upside down turn them over you will get a lot more out of them.

I have a Lyra Atlas right side up

still-one
November 28, 2014, 06:29 PM
Benz Ruby 3

Johnny B Good
November 28, 2014, 06:39 PM
Lyra kleos, denon 103R in wooden body, Audio technica at33 mono, ortofon SPU 95th anniv

BruceLet
November 28, 2014, 09:31 PM
On a Basis Vector 4 tonearm.......

Lyra Skala
Air Tight PC-3

RedSectorA
November 28, 2014, 09:46 PM
On A Graham Phantom Supreme:
Lyra Etna
Dynavector XV-1S

On a Michell Tecnoarm:
Miyajima Zero (mono)

Lyra Kleos (for sale)
Benz Wood M

Steve
November 28, 2014, 09:47 PM
Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement. It is a huge sound.

highEndguy
November 28, 2014, 09:57 PM
Benz Lps

Mike
November 28, 2014, 10:00 PM
Benz Lps

:)

Johnny B Good
November 28, 2014, 10:58 PM
i have yet to try a Benz, think i should invest in one as many people rave about them

ctop
November 29, 2014, 12:03 AM
i have yet to try a Benz, think i should invest in one as many people rave about them

+1
Im intrigued and curious as we'll with the Benz

rockitman
November 29, 2014, 01:17 AM
Current arm mounted carts...Koetsu Tiger Eye, Dynavector XV-1t, Lyra Olympos (mono), Ikeda 9TT mono. Sitting on the bench currently: Koetsu Coralstone, Ortofon A90, Shelter Harmony, Benz SLR.

Myles B. Astor
November 29, 2014, 02:07 AM
Current arm mounted carts...Koetsu Tiger Eye, Dynavector XV-1t, Lyra Olympos (mono), Ikeda 9TT mono. Sitting on the bench currently: Koetsu Coralstone, Ortofon A90, Shelter Harmony, Benz SLR.

When did you put the Tiger Eye in Christian? Getting that Koetsu bug? :) Which arm?

Bones13
November 29, 2014, 12:48 PM
Benz Micro Slider SL, and a new Zu Audio modified Denon 103R, which I have not played with yet.

I will agree with the Benz being great. Are they still hard to find now? I noticed they were unavailable for awhile there.

Bobvin
November 29, 2014, 12:48 PM
Had a Benz Ruby3 (ClearAudio table), now have Benz LPs on my AMG. Would love to hear the MC Anna in my system.

rockitman
November 29, 2014, 06:27 PM
When did you put the Tiger Eye in Christian? Getting that Koetsu bug? :) Which arm?

I put the tiger eye on a couple of months ago when I snapped the cantilever clean off on my 200 hour old Coralstone. I should be getting that back in another week or two. I am using it on a Graham Elite 10" on the AF1.

Myles B. Astor
November 29, 2014, 06:37 PM
I put the tiger eye on a couple of months ago when I snapped the cantilever clean off on my 200 hour old Coralstone. I should be getting that back in another week or two. I am using it on a Graham Elite 10" on the AF1.

Yes, remember that accident. :shocking:

How does it compare to the Coralstone? Seems that most of the upper echelon Koestsus nowadays use the same generator mechanism, cantilever and stylus (?save for what we discussed about the cantilever and stylus being cut from a single diamond). 'Course part of the magic is the platinum magnet like found in your Olympos too.

mep
November 29, 2014, 07:20 PM

You mean the maid didn't do it? It's usually always the maid. How did you do it Christian? I missed that story.

MDP
November 29, 2014, 07:29 PM
Lyra Kleos !

It's gives me everything I want.

fjn04
November 29, 2014, 07:36 PM
You mean the maid didn't do it? It's usually always the maid. How did you do it Christian? I missed that story.

Yes- The Maids get a bad rap on the cartridge forums. I would say a dead heat with the Schwarzenegger mansion.

Dpod4
November 29, 2014, 07:39 PM
Miyajima Zero Mono on Schick 12" arm. Ortofon MC Anna on Graham Phantom Supreme. Benz LP-S on AMG and Goldfinger statement on spiral groove.

Myles B. Astor
November 29, 2014, 08:07 PM
Yes- The Maids get a bad rap on the cartridge forums. I would say a dead heat with the Schwarzenegger mansion.

Except in HP's case where he had a plant hanging over the preamplifier and the cleaning lady over watered the plant. Ka-boom! Bye, bye ARC preamplifier! :facepalm:

mep
November 29, 2014, 08:54 PM
Except in HP's case where he had a plant hanging over the preamplifier and the cleaning lady over watered the plant. Ka-boom! Bye, bye ARC preamplifier! :facepalm:

I can't tell you how many things my wife has ruined with plants and over-watering plants. I remember in 1978 I bought a Thorens table which I thought was the bomb until I knew better. The next day I came home from work and my wife had a plant in the middle of the dust cover. Ditto for countless speakers I owned over the years where she sat a plant on top of them and over-watered them and ruined the finish. Ah, the joys of having your own listening room! One time she had a plant on top of the TV set and she over-watered it. I turned the TV on and it blew up. I asked her if she over-watered the plant and she said no. I took the back off of the TV and water came pouring out. :reallymad:

XV-1
November 29, 2014, 09:33 PM
Lyra Atlas and Delos
Dynavector XV-1S
Ortofon A90, SPU Royal, SPU Classic E
Denon DL-S1 and ESR ruby 103r Ebony body
Linn Troika esc'd.
Technics EPC1000 mk4
Audio Technica AT 25 and OC9mk2
Various other mm carts

rockitman
November 29, 2014, 10:49 PM

I was messing around behind the racks which is a tight space. I think I backed into it and caught it with my shirt since the Coralstone was mounted on the rear tonearm.

rockitman
November 29, 2014, 10:49 PM
Yes, remember that accident. :shocking:

How does it compare to the Coralstone? Seems that most of the upper echelon Koestsus nowadays use the same generator mechanism, cantilever and stylus (?save for what we discussed about the cantilever and stylus being cut from a single diamond). 'Course part of the magic is the platinum magnet like found in your Olympos too.

They are very close in sound character. So much so, it's hard for me to describe the differences.

Myles B. Astor
November 29, 2014, 11:19 PM
They are very close in sound character. So much so, it's hard for me to describe the differences.

Thanks that's really interesting Christian! Love the look of the Tiger Eye!

annapolis Raider
November 30, 2014, 11:14 AM
Currently Mounted Carts - Kuzma CAR-50, Dynavector DV-1S Mono
In the Bullpen - Ortofon MC Anna, Transfiguration Proteus

Note to Myles.... If you're looking for a Cart to review, check out the Kuzma CAR-40, may be a new contender for best bang for the buck

Myles B. Astor
November 30, 2014, 07:06 PM
Currently Mounted Carts - Kuzma CAR-50, Dynavector DV-1S Mono
In the Bullpen - Ortofon MC Anna, Transfiguration Proteus

Note to Myles.... If you're looking for a Cart to review, check out the Kuzma CAR-40, may be a new contender for best bang for the buck

Had my eye on the Kuzma a while ago. :) Talked to Scott (we go ways back to our TAS days) about the cartridge at CES when it was announced (see the pic in my CES Show Report). In fact think Kuzma used my pic for their website! Right now am finishing up two and then looking at a new $1400 MC coil cartridge.

Bobolaclune
November 30, 2014, 07:14 PM
Myles - any idea who makes the Kuzma carts now? - Franc's very mysterious about the Japanese maker ("50 years experience"). I know they abandoned ZYX some years back (Thank God)

Shodhan

Myles B. Astor
November 30, 2014, 07:20 PM
So price be damned, what cartridge would you buy? What would be your backup cartridge?

Ortofon Anna
Lyra Atlas
Koetsu Stone bodied
Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement
ZYX Universe II
Vdh Colibri
Dynavector 1t
Kuzma CAR50
Soundsmith Hyperion
Air Tight Supreme
Ikeda Kai

Myles B. Astor
November 30, 2014, 07:21 PM
Myles - any idea who makes the Kuzma carts now? - Franc's very mysterious about the Japanese maker ("50 years experience"). I know they abandoned ZYX some years back (Thank God)

Shodhan

No I don't. Sorry. Off the top of the top my head, Miura (Air Tight, etc.) or Ikeda?

Bobolaclune
November 30, 2014, 07:24 PM
So price be damned, what cartridge would you buy? What would be your backup cartridge?

Ortofon Anna
Lyra Atlas
Koetsu Stone bodied
ZYX Universe II
Vdh Colibri
Dynavector 1t
Kuzma CAR50
Soundsmith Hyperion
Air Tight Supreme
Ikeda Kai

Dynavector XV1-T

Mike
November 30, 2014, 07:38 PM
Dynavector XV1-T

+1.

Mc Anna as a backup to the backup. ;)

XV-1
November 30, 2014, 07:55 PM
Dynavector XV1-T

+3. I would love to upgrade my XV-1S to a T

puroagave
November 30, 2014, 09:31 PM
No I don't. Sorry. Off the top of the top my head, Miura (Air Tight, etc.) or Ikeda?

i asked Tom Vu where his new carts are from, he would say if not for a NDA with the maker. don't you have one under review?

puroagave
November 30, 2014, 09:32 PM

1) stone bodied koetsu
2) Colibri, only because i'm curious.

Myles B. Astor
November 30, 2014, 09:44 PM
i asked Tom Vu where his new carts are from, he would say if not for a NDA with the maker. don't you have one under review?

Peter B. has the Zeus and should be on AVShowrooms soon.

We were going to tag team the Apollo but not sure it's in production yet.

PeterA
December 1, 2014, 10:12 AM
I own an AirTight Supreme and a MySonicLab Signature Gold. I slightly prefer the latter. I also have a VDH Colibri Platinum which I have not yet installed. I'm curious about the Atlas and one of the stonebodies, but for now am completely satisfied with the Supreme and Sig. Gold.

Here is a link to my writeup comparing the AirTight to the MSL: My Sonic Labs Gold Signature VS. Air Tight Supreme (http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?10183-My-Sonic-Labs-Gold-Signature-VS-Air-Tight-Supreme) with a system description in my WBF signature.

Dpod4
December 1, 2014, 11:38 AM

Ortofon Anna
Lyra Atlas
Koetsu Stone bodied
ZYX Universe II
Vdh Colibri
Dynavector 1t
Kuzma CAR50
Soundsmith Hyperion
Air Tight Supreme
Ikeda Kai

I would love to hear/own the Air Tight.

ctop
December 1, 2014, 12:26 PM

Ortofon Anna
Lyra Atlas
Koetsu Stone bodied
ZYX Universe II
Vdh Colibri
Dynavector 1t
Kuzma CAR50
Soundsmith Hyperion
Air Tight Supreme
Ikeda Kai

Koetsu Stone bodied

madfloyd
December 1, 2014, 02:16 PM
I'm using a Dynavector XV-1t. I just upgraded from an XV-1s and all I can say is 'WOW!'.

Mike
December 1, 2014, 02:30 PM
I'm using a Dynavector XV-1t. I just upgraded from an XV-1s and all I can say is 'WOW!'.

That's great to hear Ian. This is probably my next purchase.

audioholic
December 1, 2014, 02:55 PM
DO NOT HESITATE TO GO FOR ZYX UNIverse II.........

Mike
December 1, 2014, 02:57 PM
DO NOT HESITATE TO GO FOR ZYX UNIverse II.........

Over the Dynavector?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

audioholic
December 1, 2014, 03:09 PM
I have tried before the ZYX UNIverse II, Benz LP S, DV DRT XV-1s and Van den Hul Colibri XGP. I ended with ZYX UNIverse II in both my Kronos and my SME 20/3A tables.

XV-1
December 1, 2014, 04:18 PM
I have tried before the ZYX UNIverse II, Benz LP S, DV DRT XV-1s and Van den Hul Colibri XGP. I ended with ZYX UNIverse II in both my Kronos and my SME 20/3A tables.

At close to double the price of the other cartridges, one would be very disappointed if the Universe II did not sound better.

Compared to Lyra Atlas or Dyna XV-1t would be a good comparison.

PeterA
December 1, 2014, 06:34 PM

Carlos, I'd be very interested in learning how the Kronos and SME 20/3 compare. Could you send me a PM?

mulveling
December 2, 2014, 06:24 PM
Currently Have:
Koetsu Onyx Platinum, Jade Platinum, RSP, and Onyx Signature (1990s, needs re-tip)
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Ortofon MC20 (not mounted for quite a while now)

Have Owned (but sold before I upgraded to my current Clearaudio Innovation Wood & Graham Phantom):
Ortofon Windfeld MC, Jubilee, Kontrapunkt "a" and "c"
Benz Ref 3, Wood M2, Glider L2

Obviously I love the Koetsu midrange. It's organic, and silky smooth. For vocals and strings in particular, it imparts a lifelike presence and energy. Also, depth of image is the best I've yet heard; very 3D. Treble/resolution/speed are very good but not as good as the MC Windfeld. Bass is good but even further from the likes of the Windfeld (which frankly has amazing bass response). But then the Windfeld has a very thin, dry, perhaps even soul-less midrange compared to Koetsu. Also I had a bit of a brightness peak problem with the Windfeld that made it difficult for me to enjoy consistently; maybe this would be mitigated (or outright solved) in the new setup. Overall, my memory of the Windfeld was that it was very fast and resolving, with epic bass (power, quality, and extension) -- and a clear step up from the Jubliee (which I did NOT prefer over the Kontrapunkt "c").

Now I have the Cadenza Bronze, which like its predecessor Kontrapunkt "c" has a midrange more to my liking -- though honestly I remember the Kontra "c" having slightly fatter, lusher mids (still not into Koetsu-territory mids, though). I like that the Bronze has what I consider a neutral tone -- not bright nor dark -- similar to how I feel about the Koetsu Platinums. I also like that the Bronze features more powerful bass than the Koetsus, though obviously not to the Windfeld's level of excellence. From memory, the Bronze is a bit cleaner in bass an more resolving than its predecessor Kontra "c", but again not to Windfeld levels -- and not quite to the Koetsu level either.

Switching from the Bronze to a Koetsu Stone/Platinum makes for a striking contrast (relatively quick and repeatable thanks to 2 arm-wands). Going to the Bronze, I dearly miss the Koetsu mids and refinement, and going to the Koetsu, I really miss the Ortofon bass and the way it anchors the music. That said, Bronze mids and Koetsu bass are still quite good when NOT directly contrasted to their superiors, so I've learned to pick 1 cart for a session and stick with it till the end.

As far as the Koetsus go, the differences between the Jade/Onyx Platinums are almost negligible. Some slight slight differences that are hard to explain and may as well be due to natural variations from the manufacturing process. They both have a little bit better bass response than the RSP, but all 3 are otherwise extremely similar. The old Onyx is even MORE Koetsu in the midrange and stage depth (really beautiful sounding), but not as resolving nor extended, and the bass has a bit more oomph but is not quite as clean. A bit on the warm side, and an interesting cart for sure. Though this one needs a re-tip, unfortunately.

Part of me wants to give the Windfeld another shot, but I'm not sure if that's the right move in light of my love for a rich midrange -- or whether I should remain content with the Bronze.

Bobolaclune
December 2, 2014, 06:38 PM
I love the Cadenza Bronze, great cart

Johnny B Good
December 6, 2014, 04:44 PM
had a friend drop off a couple of carts for me to try last night.

a benz ebony H and a zyx omega

will install them today on the spare arm wands and will hopefully be adding them to my collection

Johnny B Good
December 8, 2014, 04:37 AM
well i am not a fan of the benz ebony H...just too edgy on the top end for my tastes.

this one though i think may be a keeper for sure. Beautiful sound, thats its already run in is a bonus also :)

http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8832&stc=1

XV-1
December 8, 2014, 05:00 AM
hey John

Does the disco ball in the front spin? :yahoo1:

Great to hear you enjoying the ZYX. never heard one myself. Not surprised with the Benz HOMC

Johnny B Good
December 8, 2014, 05:05 AM
that damn disco ball made it a bit of a pain to align...thats why i love the lyra with its tongue sticking out proud :)

Myles B. Astor
December 8, 2014, 06:55 AM
that damn disco ball made it a bit of a pain to align...thats why i love the lyra with its tongue sticking out proud :)

The nude Lyra is a breeze to set up but the ZYX is far from the worst to align! :)

Myles B. Astor
December 8, 2014, 06:57 AM
hey John

Does the disco ball in the front spin? :yahoo1:

Great to hear you enjoying the ZYX. never heard one myself. Not surprised with the Benz HOMC

This was done a little while ago.

omega (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue49/omega.htm)

puroagave
December 13, 2014, 02:32 PM
http://s25.postimg.org/v34f9otr3/spectral2.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

I had this new old stock Spectral Reference cartridge in the system last week before changing out 'tables. What an awesome cart. I've made a discovery re low output scan techs (lyra). like the Spectral, Audio quest 7000 and earlier Clavis and Helikon SL, they seem to resolve more fine detail than the higher output Skala and Kleos and with less edginess. FWIW, I'm using them through a silver-wired Bent MU w/ 10 db of gain and w/o, straight into the CAT SL-1's phono input.

puroagave
December 13, 2014, 02:40 PM
well i am not a fan of the benz ebony H...just too edgy on the top end for my tastes.

this one though i think may be a keeper for sure. Beautiful sound, thats its already run in is a bonus also :)

http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8832&stc=1

i heard an Omega X4D against my silver-wired Airy3 in an unfamiliar system and as much as I wanted to think the difference was small to insignificant, it wasn't. now i gotta find a way to add an Omega to the collection:sigh:. congrats its a superb cart.

astrotoy
December 13, 2014, 04:42 PM
I've made a discovery re low output scan techs (lyra). like the Spectral, Audio quest 7000 and earlier Clavis and Helikon SL, they seem to resolve more fine detail than the higher output Skala and Kleos and with less edginess. FWIW, I'm using them through a silver-wired Bent MU w/ 10 db of gain and w/o, straight into the CAT SL-1's phono input.

I had the opposite experience with my Lyra's. I had a Helikon SL for a long time, then switched to a Skala, which provided a better sound for my system. I was using a Herron MC Phono pre, and then switched to a custom Bottlehead phono pre when I started my ripping project. I'm currently on my second Skala after having ripped about 8500 records.

Larry

puroagave
December 14, 2014, 02:55 PM
and you took into account the dif between a worn Helikon SL to a new Skala? that and the fact the skala has twice the output and will sound more 'alive' if your phono stage is on the borderline re gain. In my system I actually prefer the Clavis DC over the Kleos and Skala. As they say, YMMV.

jperry
December 21, 2014, 11:43 AM
http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8948&stc=1

Early Christmas present. :DI just installed it yesterday replacing a Sumiko Pearwood Celebration II. It soulds fantastic after listening to three album sides. I would be interested in what other are using for loading and thoughts on break in time. Thanks.

Thedubemaster
December 21, 2014, 01:50 PM
I'm currently using an ZYX Airy 3 all silver low output, Ortofon A90, Zyx Universe Premium, Phasemation PP-1000, Ortofon Spun 85th-90th and Gold and Classic and for crap records a Denon 103R in an ebony custom body. Of these e PP-1000 tickles my fancy the most right now for the goto cart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thedubemaster
December 21, 2014, 01:51 PM
Still looking to get Lyra Olympos, DV-1T and LP-S. Then I'm done for anwhile

Omegaspeedy
January 6, 2015, 06:35 AM
Just three great carts, DL 103r, Benz Ace LP, and an EMT JSD6. The JSD6 arrived just before Christmas and has only had 5-6 records on it but it sounds heavenly!

Steve
January 6, 2015, 06:53 AM
Did I post here? Anyways... It's a Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement. I am grateful to have this cart and this particular serial number. Despite differences I had with the dealer who runs that audio forum, I am of course thankful to have made this purchase. The factory charts are quite spectacular. I must post the readouts. I would recommend the spend and have no reservations whatsoever boosting the Clearaudio brand. They make some fantastic products. The sound of this cart can only be described as HUGE!

https://fcpj7a.dm2301.livefilestore.com/y2pKZ2O6lorvop_Uy-Aq8_Nmg4yFOkFvUmr5HAvSTi_sa48TycsKcKu3AuPxgWbNeaaI KjZ4J4L9dYgku2gjYIlEnnQ12gZV9LfZWyN9-B_n9M/GFS-8495-1.jpg?psid=1

volks
January 6, 2015, 07:29 PM
Sumiko Blue Point No 2
http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9115&stc=1

Loop4fun
January 6, 2015, 10:24 PM
Steve, What a great photo!

https://fcpj7a.dm2301.livefilestore.com/y2pKZ2O6lorvop_Uy-Aq8_Nmg4yFOkFvUmr5HAvSTi_sa48TycsKcKu3AuPxgWbNeaaI KjZ4J4L9dYgku2gjYIlEnnQ12gZV9LfZWyN9-B_n9M/GFS-8495-1.jpg?psid=1

Paul
January 6, 2015, 11:04 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/06/f0d7b99a3c508d2f43d908ae44acdb7b.jpg

Pick one :)

Garth
January 6, 2015, 11:50 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/06/f0d7b99a3c508d2f43d908ae44acdb7b.jpg

Pick one :)

You win I count 91 that is a lot of cartridges WOW

MikeCh
January 7, 2015, 01:09 AM

I count half of those. That's an impressive display.

BobM
January 7, 2015, 10:22 AM
Maybe that pic should read ... "which headshell are you using". That's a collection/obsession for sure.

ctop
January 7, 2015, 11:03 AM
Just added a Koetsu Coralstone Platinum

Garth
January 7, 2015, 09:26 PM
I need a bigger screen

Paul
January 7, 2015, 10:14 PM
I wish they are mine LOL

MikeCh
January 8, 2015, 12:07 AM
It's certainly an interesting mix of head shell's too.

j3brow
January 8, 2015, 03:46 PM
Benz LP-S, VPI 10.5i arm

gardener1
January 8, 2015, 04:47 PM
Just added a Koetsu Coralstone Platinum

Love mine
In fact I can't use anything else
Enjoy a great choice

XV-1
October 2, 2015, 06:37 AM
the SPU GM E mk11 has been neglected for a while - time for some loving.

SPU's may not be neutral but the things they do for vocals and lead instruments are amazing, especially with 50's and 60's lp's.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5830/21891013851_9ab5b86c59_b.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5809/21891008761_eec7d160d0_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5723/21694783800_e173514d99_b.jpg

hongkong
October 28, 2015, 07:36 PM
Audio Technica AT-OC 9 ML III
SHURE V15 type V-MR ( SOLD )
Ortofon X3-MC (SOLD)
Ortofon X1-MC
Perhaps, I try to buy Audi Technica ART 9 because the AT-OC9MLIII's sound is fantastic...

Milk_vanilla
October 28, 2015, 08:42 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/28/d7e05cc7a8bb1d4f57b6c9021e28a157.jpg

Sweet and all around cart [emoji51]

MikeCh
October 29, 2015, 01:13 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/28/d7e05cc7a8bb1d4f57b6c9021e28a157.jpg

Sweet and all around cart [emoji51]

One of the best values in phono carts for sure.

Mr. Big
November 1, 2015, 11:36 AM
Soundsmith Zephyr MK II.

astrotoy
November 1, 2015, 01:39 PM
Soundsmith Zephyr MK II.

me too.

Stringreen
November 13, 2015, 11:35 PM
Ortofon Windfield on a VPI 3D printed arm

MDP
November 14, 2015, 09:33 AM
Ortofon Windfield on a VPI 3D printed arm

I can't wait to get my Avenger with the 3D arm!

bayou985
November 17, 2015, 10:18 AM
Grado Prestige Red 1 with 20 year old Sota Comet...

Ortofon 2M Black with new VPI Classic 1...

MikeCh
November 17, 2015, 10:10 PM
Grado Prestige Red 1 with 20 year old Sota Comet...

Ortofon 2M Black with new VPI Classic 1...

Hi Kevin,

How's the new Classic working out for you?

bayou985
November 18, 2015, 08:48 AM
Hi Kevin,

How's the new Classic working out for you? Hey Mike good, I'll have a comment not a review in a couple of weeks !!

Golucid
November 18, 2015, 11:32 AM
Ortofon MC Windfeld

http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13786&stc=1

A/V Solutions
November 18, 2015, 12:37 PM
I have several.....today its a 90th annv. this particular one is somewhat special and means a great deal to me.

Thedubemaster
November 18, 2015, 12:47 PM
Well lots really.
Ortofon 85th , 90th , Classic Gold, A90
Zyx Airy 3 Silver Edition , ZYX Premium Universe
Benz LP-S
Phasemation PP-1000
Clearaudio Gold Finger Statement
Lyra Olympos SL Low output
Dynavector XV1-S
And a couple I can't recall
Oh yes Fidelity Research F Mk 3 blah blah blah
And my latest Miyabi MCA Olympos in disguise

Stringreen
November 18, 2015, 12:53 PM
Ortofon Windfield replaced Benz LPS

ctop
November 18, 2015, 01:40 PM
Well lots really.
Ortofon 85th , 90th , Classic Gold, A90
Zyx Airy 3 Silver Edition , ZYX Premium Universe
Benz LP-S
Phasemation PP-1000
Clearaudio Gold Finger Statement
Lyra Olympos SL Low output
Dynavector XV1-S
And a couple I can't recall
Oh yes Fidelity Research F Mk 3 blah blah blah
And my latest Miyabi MCA Olympos in disguise

Wow, thats an impressive list of carts you have. What's your favorite or go to cart?

Thedubemaster
November 20, 2015, 04:19 PM
I bought the Miyabi MCA on a recommendation and boy did it ever turn out well. It is my fav and I have some great carts. So inexpensive and it is such a well balanced cart with dynamics that give the best a run for their money. Having a great time listening to my old favourite LPs with this. It's on a Da Vinci Virtu for now at 1.8 g. Still trying to get the most out of it but so far amazing!

advr
November 21, 2015, 12:57 PM
Linn Kandid.

A/V Solutions
November 21, 2015, 02:08 PM
Today will be the AMG / Etna

Loop4fun
November 21, 2015, 06:19 PM
Jeff, How does the Etna compare with the Teatro on the AMG in your experience? I have not tried the Teatro with the AMG yet, but plan to shortly. (Since I have both.)

Today will be the AMG / Etna

http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13874&stc=1

A/V Solutions
November 21, 2015, 07:29 PM
You should give the Teatro a try, its really a great sounding cartridge for its moddest price.....and it absolutly belongs on a great table like the AMG as does the Etna. Both shine in thier own way and wouldn't kick either to the curb, I feel there is room for both in my home.

Loop4fun
November 21, 2015, 11:14 PM
Thanks Jeff, the Teatro goes on next Tuesday. I've had it a couple of months, but have used the Etna since day one. I felt the same way after I used the Teatro on a Rega P3 loaner. Both shine... The Teatro should be REALLY good on the AMG. I love the Etna, but I'm just curious and since I own it, I might as well try it. My Dallas dealer, (Audio Concepts) has offered to switch them around anytime I want. I think I'm a little too shaky to do it myself. I offered to help Mark, but he said he would switch the cartridges for free if I left him alone, and charge me if I helped... ;)

I have three SUT's, so I'm hoping one matches well with the Teatro. If not, the iPhono will be called to duty. The MC input for my preamp is designed for an SPU and will not be a good fit.

You should give the Teatro a try, its really a great sounding cartridge for its moddest price.....and it absolutly belongs on a great table like the AMG as does the Etna. Both shine in thier own way and wouldn't kick either to the curb, I feel there is room for both in my home.

A/V Solutions
November 21, 2015, 11:46 PM
Are you using the Etna into the iphono

Loop4fun
November 21, 2015, 11:55 PM
No, I'm using the Etna into the Lyra Erodion SUT and then into the phono input of my preamp. Which is a Shindo Giscours.

I'll start off with the Teatro into that, or I also have an A23 and a Bob's 1131 Cinemag I will try.

Barry
November 23, 2015, 07:35 PM
Just bought a Lyra Etna and mounted last week. Only about 6 hours. Tracking at 1.75 gm on a Triplanar VII into a very heavily modified Pass Labs Xono. Still working on cartridge loading and breaking it in. Thanks for your help Bill!

Mike
November 23, 2015, 09:24 PM
Just bought a Lyra Etna and mounted last week. Only about 6 hours. Tracking at 1.75 gm on a Triplanar VII into a very heavily modified Pass Labs Xono. Still working on cartridge loading and breaking it in. Thanks for your help Bill!

Gorgeous! I love this cartridge. What is the recommended tracking force?

How is the pairing with the Triplanar VII?

Mike
November 23, 2015, 09:27 PM
Man, this thread is dangerous....I want to try all these cartridges.

Has anyone tried this beauty?

http://www.joynetmall.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=68&product_id=3695

Thedubemaster
November 23, 2015, 09:30 PM
That particular cartridge I heard at a friends. That is my next cartridge to finish off my collection. It is an amazing cartridge for the money.

puroagave
November 23, 2015, 11:18 PM
Man, this thread is dangerous....I want to try all these cartridges.

Has anyone tried this beauty?

http://www.joynetmall.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=68&product_id=3695

I had an Eminent GL, I have not tried the BC. The GL was a superb cart, after a long break-in period I traded mine and replaced it with a Mutech RM Kanda. 4900 is high for a BC, the street price in Japan is ~3,900 USD.

Barry
November 24, 2015, 04:59 PM
Mike: The Etna's recommended tracking force is 1.68 to 1.78g (1.72 g recommended). The 9.2 gm weight of the cartridge, its compliance of 12×10 cm/dyne , and 11 gm effective mass of the Triplanar VII make them perfectly matched so far as I can tell by listening.

The tonal color and balance of this cartridge is phenomenal. It is not overtly analytical. It's very immediate and very lively, but the images are fleshed out with sustain and body too, so it's not thin sounding. It's a big sound and can be exciting; not at all polite or delicate. Frequency extremes and sound stage space are still developing with break-in so it's hard to tell where they'll end up. Bass and treble are there, but don't call much attention to themselves. Extreme highs aren't yet airy and lowest bass notes aren't yet bottomless and lack some impact. It is still a little tight and hasn't opened up much. Early on it could be just a little HiFi sounding at times. There's been a very slight hardness, but only on a few occasions, but that seems to be gradually being replaced by a touch of sweetness. Most of the reviews say something like it's a cartridge for all types of music and I can believe that based on what I've heard so far.

A/V Solutions
December 20, 2015, 07:37 PM
Today's cartridge.....

Mike
December 20, 2015, 07:54 PM
Today's cartridge.....

Can you describe its sound?

jdandy
December 20, 2015, 10:54 PM
Jeff.......Sweeeeet!

http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=14278&d=1450654099

A/V Solutions
December 21, 2015, 12:22 AM
Can you describe its sound?

Mike.....its a fantastic cartridge, exellent drive and pace, everything just flows, its very well balanced through out the entire range. Doesn't over do the top end either like some of the newer cartridges seem to do now a days. Its not overly warm nor to lively, just right to me.......Sound stage is wide and deep, plenty of layering. I like its cantilever out front, makes it a breeze to really fine tune. Over all I find its one of the very best available today, regardless of cost.

Mike
December 21, 2015, 06:26 AM
Jeff, I've heard it's not a meaty sound, a little thin. Thoughts?

Myles B. Astor
December 21, 2015, 09:10 AM
Jeff, I've heard it's not a meaty sound, a little thin. Thoughts?

Nope.

Mike
December 21, 2015, 10:14 AM
Nope.

It's on my radar for my VPI table.

A/V Solutions
December 21, 2015, 10:19 AM
Depends what you compare it to.....and if your looking for those areas to be high lighted more so. I don't consider it thin.

Myles B. Astor
December 21, 2015, 10:29 AM
Could do a whole lot worse. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jdandy
December 21, 2015, 02:42 PM
On my Micro Seiki DD-40 turntable with the m505a tonearm I use the Ortofon Cadenza Blue.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7454/8724948954_0f962b1083_c.jpg

On my Michell Gyro SE turntable with the SME 309 tonearm I use the Ortofon Cadenza Black.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8538/8638463343_29d3eb579b_c.jpg

A/V Solutions
December 24, 2015, 05:09 PM
Today's cartridge.....being in the Christmas spirit I thought red would be appropriate for the cartridge :lol:

A/V Solutions
December 25, 2015, 05:48 PM
Keeping with the Christmas spirit, today's cartridge is green :)

hongkong
December 27, 2015, 01:33 PM
I use Audio Technica AT-OC9 ML III...with VPI Classic 3...Great sound with good presence and sound in 3 dimensions...precision and vocal are excellent. But I'm thinking, it lacks bass.
I'm very happy to know if others persons listen it and give me your opinions.
Thank you.

puroagave
December 27, 2015, 03:12 PM
I use Audio Technica AT-OC9 ML III...with VPI Classic 3...Great sound with good presence and sound in 3 dimensions...precision and vocal are excellent. But I'm thinking, it lacks bass.
I'm very happy to know if others persons listen it and give me your opinions.
Thank you.

the AT0C9, like the Denon 103 series carts is something everyone should own once. I loved the original 0C9 when i used one eons ago. I recently brought in an AT ART9 the 0C9's big bro, he let me break it in for him before sending it on and I was very impressed so much so i'm going to acquire one for myself.

A/V Solutions
January 19, 2016, 07:45 PM
Today's cartridges.....the LPs on the 12J2 and the Teatro on the 9W2

BobNY
January 27, 2016, 12:44 AM
Tonight I am listening to my Lyra Titan. It's on a table that I dont always keep hooked up to my system, but when I do hook it up I am always amazed at the clarity and detail of this cartridge. Someday I have to get off of my butt and build a dedicated listening room that allows me to keep multiple tables so I can use it more regularly.

chops
April 13, 2016, 10:54 PM
Just upgraded the stock 2M Red to the 2M Bronze. I first ran the Bronze stylus on the Red body for about 6 hours, and now about another 9 hours on the Bronze body. Absolutely zero IGD. And I also don't get all these people saying this cart is bright, analytical or "forensic"... At least, nothing of the sort on my system.

http://charlest.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v10/p2010518557-5.jpg

http://charlest.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v123/p2026596055-5.jpg

http://charlest.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v95/p2080646392-5.jpg

jperry
April 18, 2016, 03:32 PM
http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=15767&stc=1

I just added this. The EMT JSD S75MC cartridge is the latest addition to EMT‘s line.Diamond stylus on white Sapphire cantilever.

A/V Solutions
May 2, 2016, 06:00 PM
Today's cartridge SPU A95

A/V Solutions
May 2, 2016, 06:00 PM
double post

MDF
May 31, 2016, 06:44 AM
Hi,

New guy here. My favourite seems to be the Koetsu Blue Azule mounted on a VPI 3D arm with VPI HRX table

I also like Benz Micro LPS, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze

I don't like VDH Colibri

Regards,
Joe Ling

burau34
June 8, 2016, 01:14 PM
İkeda Kai and Zyx Omega Gold

iPhone 'den Tapatalk aracılığı ile gönderildi

gooch
June 24, 2016, 09:53 PM
Shelter 501mkll a great cartridge for the money
http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=16572&stc=1

BruceLet
June 25, 2016, 09:03 PM
Transfiguration Proteus. 16577

A/V Solutions
June 27, 2016, 05:01 PM
Today's cartridge is the 90th anniversary SPU with the Schick arm.....awesome combo :happy:

A/V Solutions
July 8, 2016, 12:16 PM
Today's cartridge is the EMT JSD6 with Schick arm.....

A/V Solutions
July 8, 2016, 12:16 PM
Today's cartridge is the EMT JSD6 with Schick arm.....

puroagave
July 8, 2016, 01:01 PM
Jeff, what's list price on the JSD6?

A/V Solutions
July 8, 2016, 01:07 PM
$3495

puroagave
July 8, 2016, 01:15 PM
$3495

CAD or USD? thanks

A/V Solutions
July 8, 2016, 02:14 PM
CAD or USD? thanks

USD

gapple88
July 9, 2016, 01:43 AM
Emt jsd p6

Marslo
July 9, 2016, 01:56 AM
Shelter Harmony.

A/V Solutions
July 10, 2016, 02:06 PM
Today's cartridge is the EMT JSD6 cartridge on the AMG 12J2 arm / table

Milk_vanilla
July 27, 2016, 08:13 PM
My bronze cardenza were accidentally knocked off when adjustment being made [emoji15][emoji15]

Just switched to VDH canary on my magne,

first impression: very airy and high rez.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/0244c49db4a7873a321699b1e5ed665f.jpg

Mike
July 27, 2016, 10:04 PM
Oh no! Sorry to hear about your Cadenza Bronze.

As for the VDH, is "high rez" a good thing?

Milk_vanilla
July 27, 2016, 11:05 PM
Mike,

This is may too early to summarize the characteristic of Canary, high rez means I'm hearing more compare previous one. speaking of childhood where we are using 16x color pencils vs 24/32 pencils, you get more complex colors palette. It's crystal clear without veiled, 3 dimensional with high airy between each instrument's and maintaining solid image, clean and the precision.

The challenge maybe this cart will give no mercy to bad pressing record, and I missed the sweetness and warmish of my bronze :(

Huge difference between these 2 carts

Mechnutt
July 28, 2016, 12:54 PM
Nagaoka MP-200

XV-1
November 29, 2016, 05:38 AM
Stanton 881S - 1.2gm tracking and loaded @ 100k

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5637/31168386772_82810250ba_b.jpg

MDP
November 29, 2016, 06:45 PM
Stanton 881S - 1.2gm tracking and loaded @ 100k

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5637/31168386772_82810250ba_b.jpg

Shane,how does it sound? I'm not familiar with it.

audio.bill
November 29, 2016, 07:42 PM
The Stanton 881S was their top of the line cartridge back in 1977, I recall having one in my college years. It was one of the top rated MM carts in its day, and many such designs still have their fans and have had a resurgence of popularity in today's used cartridge market. Of course with cartridges of that age the stylus condition is not the only concern, since suspension damping components (often rubber) also age and harden over time which affects tracking ability.

Mark Jones
November 29, 2016, 09:05 PM
Ortofon PW, A90 A95

Benz SLR

Kondo IO-M

ZYX Omega, My Universe Platinum is still in the box, I'm too scared to open it ;-)

Phasemation PP-1000

Charisma Reference One

byrdparis
December 13, 2016, 01:27 PM
I have a small collection but love every one of them... i think cart's for men is like diamonds for the ladies ;)

Acoustical System "The Archon" (currently in use on a A.S Aquilar arm)
Zyx R1000 Airy3 SB
Myajima Takumi
SPU #1E (love it!) - Currently in use on a SME 12"-m2R
on order - EMT XSD15 (very curious about them!)
thinking on buying later on:
Ortofon A95
ZYX premium omega
Air tight pc1...

byrdparis
December 13, 2016, 01:39 PM
Ortofon PW, A90 A95

Benz SLR

Kondo IO-M

ZYX Omega, My Universe Platinum is still in the box, I'm too scared to open it ;-)

Phasemation PP-1000

Charisma Reference One

Hey Mark!
which do you prefer the PP1000 or the Omega? and why?
if you can put it in words...
thank you.
A

a.wayne
December 13, 2016, 11:05 PM
The Stanton 881S was their top of the line cartridge back in 1977, I recall having one in my college years. It was one of the top rated MM carts in its day, and many such designs still have their fans and have had a resurgence of popularity in today's used cartridge market. Of course with cartridges of that age the stylus condition is not the only concern, since suspension damping components (often rubber) also age and harden over time which affects tracking ability.

Wasnt pickering considered the better cartridge back then? i had both Stanton and pickering later leaving both for Grado by 79 , Some of My friends favored the V15 , but i was never a fan , favoring Grado and AT , for non MC...

Regards

Jack
December 13, 2016, 11:20 PM
Same cartridges with slightly different cosmetics and different target markets. The Stanton side of the building concentrated on marketing to broadcasters and studios first then home audio. Pickering was entirely targeting the home audio market.

a.wayne
December 14, 2016, 11:12 AM
Same cartridges with slightly different cosmetics and different target markets. The Stanton side of the building concentrated on marketing to broadcasters and studios first then home audio. Pickering was entirely targeting the home audio market.

Yes, that's how i recall it too .....

A/V Solutions
December 22, 2016, 01:11 AM
EMT TMD-25 early mono, EMT TMD-15 late mono and EMT JSD6 stereo

A/V Solutions
December 22, 2016, 01:11 AM
double post

tom_hankins
May 24, 2017, 09:00 AM
Added a new Air Tight PC-1 Supreme to my system recently. It's my full time cartridge now with a Benz LP-Smr here "just in case"

Audio Beatnik
May 29, 2017, 10:53 PM
I've been using the DS Audio W1 and Master1 lately and they are incredible. They are a great combination of the power and warmth of a cartridge like the EMTs and the refinement of a modern moving coil without the ringing of a moving coil.

byrdparis
May 30, 2017, 03:20 PM
I've been using the DS Audio W1 and Master1 lately and they are incredible. They are a great combination of the power and warmth of a cartridge like the EMTs and the refinement of a modern moving coil without the ringing of a moving coil.

Hi beatnik.
great hearing about some experience with DS AUDIO carts.
can you elaborate on what arm do you mount them on? which carts did they replace\you compare them to?
thank you!

JayNudel
June 8, 2017, 05:39 AM
Ortofon Quintet Black here, on my Bryston TT. First moving coil, am loving it so far! Question for the floor: Ortofon's little pamphlet/manual says not to use cleaning fluids lest they loose adhesives...what do people here think? Any risk? I will admit though that if there's been one surprise with this cart so far it's been how little surface noise I hear, which is really a dramatic change over what i had been using previously.

Milk_vanilla
August 5, 2017, 10:11 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170806/7c7674a2d2542ec7eaabf29ef4796ce3.jpg

EMT 75G limited edition, first impressions good rhythmic and meat and bones.

puroagave
August 5, 2017, 10:20 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170806/7c7674a2d2542ec7eaabf29ef4796ce3.jpg

EMT 75G limited edition, first impressions good rhythmic and meat and bones.

Im familiar with the tSD 15, I never heard of a 75G, tell us about it.

Stoutblock
August 13, 2017, 12:57 PM
Dynavector DV-20x2L
Audio Technica ART-9
VAS Nova Signature
Transfiguration Axia

fjn04
August 14, 2017, 07:56 PM
Im familiar with the tSD 15, I never heard of a 75G, tell us about it.
I believe the cartridge is the Tsd-75. My understanding is it sells for around $100 more than Tsd-15, and is the latest iteration of the Tsd....

a.wayne
August 14, 2017, 08:23 PM
Anyone here tried the HANA ...? Mine is not mounted yet , but they come highly rated by many,

thoughts ...?

http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20391&d=1502756622

Stoutblock
August 15, 2017, 12:56 AM
My local dealer is trying to talk me into the Hana cart. I know he is really impressed with it at it's price point.

Umberto
August 15, 2017, 02:26 AM
I'v got extremaly rare Fairchild F-7!
Awesome cart!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opIgpCyGyWM

bonzo
August 15, 2017, 03:47 AM
Anyone here tried the HANA ...? Mine is not mounted yet , but they come highly rated by many,

thoughts ...?

http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20391&d=1502756622

They are superb for the money, neutral and detailed and musical. Unless you upgraditis, this is sufficient to enjoy music. Like Art 9, haven't compared the two, and not fair comparing this to higher priced ortofon, Lyra, or zyx.

XCop5089
August 15, 2017, 09:22 AM
Transfiguration Orpheus L

XV-1
August 18, 2017, 01:23 AM
Etna SL s/n 099 :happy:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4342/36595956826_6c04b22b11_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4371/36595955076_3e7f7491ca_h.jpg

MarinJim
August 18, 2017, 01:48 AM
Ortofon Windfeld (non-Ti).

Umberto
August 18, 2017, 02:19 AM
Lyra Etna + Lyra Erodion Evo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OneloPrKSls&t=105s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8We2SaEDrQ&t=96s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlQf7s6_nu0&t=41s

Legrace
September 13, 2017, 11:59 AM
Welcome. First post!

My current stalwarts:
Apheta 2 (ref avatar) on Dual 721
Kiseki Purple Heart NS reissue (kudos to Herman van den Dungen) on AudioMods V (sadly unable to insert pic as post count must be at least 10)

My Backups:
Dynavector 17D3
Shure V15III

joeinid
September 13, 2017, 09:32 PM
Welcome to the forum Legrace, thank you for joining.

Mike
September 13, 2017, 09:42 PM
Hi Legrace - welcome.

XV-1
September 16, 2017, 11:12 PM
Nagaoka MP-50. 2.5mv MM, superelliptical stylus, boron cantilever, tracking at 1.3gm and loaded at 100K, sometimes 47k.

after fcuking around for 30 minutes with a dodgy headshell wire, it's finally running and sounding excellent.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4360/37128863201_ef1f1687c1_h.jpg (https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4360/37128863201_ef1f1687c1_h.jpg)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4387/36457356703_aae9edc4b3_h.jpg (https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4387/36457356703_aae9edc4b3_h.jpg)

cytovette
January 18, 2018, 05:04 PM
Currently using Denon DL-301MKII,

I have an Audio Technica AT440MLB and a few other old carts I can't remember the names of.

XV-1
January 23, 2018, 07:33 AM
After being away for 5 months, Atlas comes back with a SL makeover. Time for Etna SL to have a well earned rest for a bit.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4617/39561501852_62be408f60_b.jpg

Try1256
January 24, 2018, 07:49 PM
http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=21763&stc=1

Aida, fresh back from the Soundsmith

Denver
January 25, 2018, 01:14 AM
Hana SL

A/V Solutions
February 23, 2018, 02:30 PM
Today's cartridge SPU Wood A

21999 22000

Kuoppis
February 23, 2018, 10:52 PM
Does anyone have experiences with the Benz Gullwing SLR?

Would be interested to hear views.

PureVinyl
February 23, 2018, 11:14 PM
Hana SL

I'm also enjoying the Hana SL!

plays well Above its price!

A/V Solutions
February 24, 2018, 01:00 PM
I've enjoyed the Gullwing for many years....I find it very balanced from top to bottom, never high lighting one particular area to the point of calling it (you fill in the blank). I find it to play all types of music well too, easy to get aligned being the stylus is out front. All in all a enjoyable cartridge for me.

Bachtoven
February 28, 2018, 11:20 PM
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze--love it!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/AQ_pIXRujDEAEXr8aZI-JZ_eqfoK49X2MgK2kxcDRQ8BeXpoZ2lLnC7ATPUBsuLGK9FWnI NE7dTf3vkF2v6LxsUD-38z8O3jHkHBtNGzDCxdF0i93yvYYb1IMnWOiCz8DgbF6rVy9IC 5G7a75Onkjbm32J1hZJ31Moex5niZANnyINnORdMfWCeEEeZyY Kw9EPUYELJQhqZn4Mo-enbc2LHi7zLFJM6ZMTOQWJghEk_Xip9o3iDuQGscZH8XkdKvBO gUSczCPSJGi260IhuXE3_Fxz1c18KMbl86-yiWt7vci_p71dZOCQXFFXCPHXwY6-kJJVd82vuN_YguT8mA9-doQX1xrQ5GmuUFilrMxUUybUseqG9FHEuCD5_kGOrJq2zdRLZF XLernqjwYAUPZNJ5WbyvyLIhrSWgwy5u-TtyVyDkgnkw9rK6h8MzCeATQCGv__wtrux74DMSyv1OeqDaH9f mhh9q82a5ALH-YSe6_4ycAas6PuV-rHGf9-u520SegKcJuxq7bJVam9tSe7V02VcL26RVwb1K4H0_jruIq9Mb-tEt57tg_gNiODW3ro-8PRM01_D1OZH9abO-tuKfR2R4GkR3Oi-t13A=w1220-h915-no

nile49
March 1, 2018, 12:38 AM
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze--love it!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/AQ_pIXRujDEAEXr8aZI-JZ_eqfoK49X2MgK2kxcDRQ8BeXpoZ2lLnC7ATPUBsuLGK9FWnI NE7dTf3vkF2v6LxsUD-38z8O3jHkHBtNGzDCxdF0i93yvYYb1IMnWOiCz8DgbF6rVy9IC 5G7a75Onkjbm32J1hZJ31Moex5niZANnyINnORdMfWCeEEeZyY Kw9EPUYELJQhqZn4Mo-enbc2LHi7zLFJM6ZMTOQWJghEk_Xip9o3iDuQGscZH8XkdKvBO gUSczCPSJGi260IhuXE3_Fxz1c18KMbl86-yiWt7vci_p71dZOCQXFFXCPHXwY6-kJJVd82vuN_YguT8mA9-doQX1xrQ5GmuUFilrMxUUybUseqG9FHEuCD5_kGOrJq2zdRLZF XLernqjwYAUPZNJ5WbyvyLIhrSWgwy5u-TtyVyDkgnkw9rK6h8MzCeATQCGv__wtrux74DMSyv1OeqDaH9f mhh9q82a5ALH-YSe6_4ycAas6PuV-rHGf9-u520SegKcJuxq7bJVam9tSe7V02VcL26RVwb1K4H0_jruIq9Mb-tEt57tg_gNiODW3ro-8PRM01_D1OZH9abO-tuKfR2R4GkR3Oi-t13A=w1220-h915-no

Ditto! Was blown away from the first time I dropped the needle. Still impressed a year later.

A/V Solutions
March 1, 2018, 01:10 AM
Today's cartridge SPU #1

Kuoppis
March 1, 2018, 01:57 AM
Ditto! Was blown away from the first time I dropped the needle. Still impressed a year later.

May I join the club... also do greatly enjoy the Cadenza Bronze. Superb cart.

Mordante
March 1, 2018, 10:51 AM
Right now I'm not using any cartridge.

http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22039&stc=1

audio.bill
March 1, 2018, 05:01 PM
Ouch, that hurts to look at and makes me cringe! Condolences on your loss. :(

Moby
March 1, 2018, 07:40 PM
Lyra Delos, contemplating Ortofon Cadenza Bronze or Kiseki Purple Heart.

http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22041&stc=1

A/V Solutions
March 1, 2018, 07:50 PM
Today's cartridge A95

asindc
March 1, 2018, 07:56 PM
Today's cartridge A95

http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22040&stc=1

:celebrate008_2:

A/V Solutions
March 1, 2018, 08:05 PM
Also today's cartridge SPU A95 low number #003

audio.bill
March 1, 2018, 08:45 PM
Lyra Delos, contemplating Ortofon Cadenza Bronze or Kiseki Purple Heart.

The Cadenza Bronze (which I currently use) has a touch of warmth with excellent tracking ability, while the Kiseki PH is considered a step up in performance but with an even warmer tonal balance. Depending upon the rest of your system and personal preferences one might be a better suited upgrade to your system than the other, but both cartridges you're considering are superb performers. Another model you may want to consider would be the recently released Ortofon Windfeld Ti (https://www.ortofon.com/mc-windfeld-ti-p-737).

Moby
March 1, 2018, 09:06 PM
The Cadenza Bronze (which I currently use) has a touch of warmth with excellent tracking ability, while the Kiseki PH is considered a step up in performance but with an even warmer tonal balance. Depending upon the rest of your system and personal preferences one might be a better suited upgrade to your system than the other, but both cartridges you're considering are superb performers. Another model you may want to consider would be the recently released Ortofon Windfeld Ti (https://www.ortofon.com/mc-windfeld-ti-p-737).
My new set up is a Clearaudio Ovation with a Universal arm - the Lyra Delos was a carry over from my prior VPI Classic 3 with JMW 3D arm (it sounded better to me in that set up, but I really didn't like the 3D arm). I have an Esoteric E-03 phono pre and Harbeth 30.1 speakers. In the new set up the Lyra is tracking extremely well, is transparent, but I would say it's a touch on the dry side (analytical rather than warm - technical rather than involving/musical). I'm also not particularly impressed with the soundstage. I largely attribute that to my McIntosh MA6600 Integrated which is SS. So I have decided to plunge into tubes and the McIntosh will be replaced with a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated on Monday - everything else will stay the same. At that point, and after the PrimaLuna breaks in, I'll be in a better position to judge the Lyra. Question then will be whether or not the Cadenza Bronze or Kiseki PH will cause everything to lurch too far to the warm side. I have also been considering the new Windfeld Ti. This is all done somewhat blind as I have no real analog dealers up here where I live in the Rockies - and its impossible to get a loan to try one out on my rig in any event. So any advice given the road I'm heading down would be most appreciated.

audio.bill
March 1, 2018, 09:44 PM
My new set up is a Clearaudio Ovation with a Universal arm - the Lyra Delos was a carry over from my prior VPI Classic 3 with JMW 3D arm (it sounded better to me in that set up, but I really didn't like the 3D arm). I have an Esoteric E-03 phono pre and Harbeth 30.1 speakers. In the new set up the Lyra is tracking extremely well, is transparent, but I would say it's a touch on the dry side (analytical rather than warm - technical rather than involving/musical). I'm also not particularly impressed with the soundstage. I largely attribute that to my McIntosh MA6600 Integrated which is SS. So I have decided to plunge into tubes and the McIntosh will be replaced with a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated on Monday - everything else will stay the same. At that point, and after the PrimaLuna breaks in, I'll be in a better position to judge the Lyra. Question then will be whether or not the Cadenza Bronze or Kiseki PH will cause everything to lurch too far to the warm side. I have also been considering the new Windfeld Ti. This is all done somewhat blind as I have no real analog dealers up here where I live in the Rockies - and its impossible to get a loan to try one out on my rig in any event. So any advice given the road I'm heading down would be most appreciated.
I think your plan is a sound one, since the switch of your electronics to the PL is likely to significantly impact the balance of your system. Take it slowly to make valid judgements before moving ahead with a new cartridge if you still deem it necessary. I tend to agree with you about the Lyra's balance but it is system dependent and a subjective call. I believe any of the three cartridges you're considering would be a step up but selecting the best one for your needs can be difficult without an audition. Not many of us are in a position of getting demo cartridges to try out without purchasing them, while other components are more commonly loaned by local dealers. Good luck and let us know how it works out with your new PL!

Moby
March 1, 2018, 09:49 PM
Audio Bill: Thanks, the process is part of the fun. I have lots of time and will take it slow. I'll let you know where I land. Thanks for the guidance.

Mordante
March 2, 2018, 05:23 AM
Ouch, that hurts to look at and makes me cringe! Condolences on your loss. :(

My cart is at VdH. He will most likely replace the cantilever.

Kuoppis
March 3, 2018, 05:02 AM

I am also using the Cadenza Bronze right now and am happy with it. Yet, I am also pondering over upgrade possibilities.

Here’s a list of carts I find interesting:

- Transfiguration Proteus (might be a tad too cold for my liking)
- Transfiguration Phoenix S (not sure whether it would be an upgrade to the CB)
- Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua (might be too soft)
- Benz Micro SLR Gullwing (older cart, but still great)
- Ortofon Winfield Ti (might not have the slightly warm touch of the CB)

Any views on those alternatives?

audio.bill
March 3, 2018, 10:03 AM
I am also using the Cadenza Bronze right now and am happy with it. Yet, I am also pondering over upgrade possibilities.

Here’s a list of carts I find interesting:

- Transfiguration Proteus (might be a tad too cold for my liking)
- Transfiguration Phoenix S (not sure whether it would be an upgrade to the CB)
- Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua (might be too soft)
- Benz Micro SLR Gullwing (older cart, but still great)
- Ortofon Winfield Ti (might not have the slightly warm touch of the CB)

Any views on those alternatives?

I don't have any first hand experience with the Transfigurations but hear good reports on them. I wouldn't consider the Dynavector TKR to be an upgrade from the CB. If I was looking to upgrade from my CB at this point I'd be looking at the Kiseki PH or possibly the Windfeld Ti. Some of the new top models from Grado are reported to be exceptional.

One aspect of the CB that I continue to be amazed by is its absolute silence in the groove. Once I had it properly aligned (which is particularly critical with its Replicant stylus profile) most of the surface noise I experienced on my most played vinyl with other cartridges just disappeared completely. When I initially lowered the stylus and turned up the volume before the music started I thought I must have missed the lead in groove due to the silence I experienced. Unless I go with the Windfeld Ti which also uses Ortofon's Replicant stylus I'd be afraid that I'd lose the black background that I get with the CB.

MikeCh
March 3, 2018, 11:07 AM
Still running an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze myself. Absolutely love it.

Also run a Miyajima Zero Mono on a different VPI arm wand for my older mono record listening.

Given my current setup these two cartridges are the perfect match for me. Both are amazing trackers / tracers and like audio.bill says, exceptionally quiet in the groove. The dynamics, detail and timbre that these two carts are able to produce are "just right" to my ears.

A/V Solutions
March 3, 2018, 12:05 PM
Today's cartridge Benz Gullwing....

Sean
March 3, 2018, 01:05 PM
Sweet pics, Jeff.

Audiophilehi
April 25, 2018, 10:45 AM
I'm currently using the Lyra Helikon Stereo and Mono Cartridges. I love the both as they have given me many years of listening pleasure.

With that being said I'm looking to upgrade the Helikon Stereo. So far on my short list are the Ortofon Cadenza Black and Bronze cartridges.

A/V Solutions
April 25, 2018, 12:17 PM
The Cadenza Black, Bronze are great choices, also the Blue is nice and wouldn't rule out......all three have there own unique flavor and depends what your after. A few others to consider would be the Lyra Delos or Kleos, also the Kiseki Purple Heart or Kiseki Blue......the Blue gets over looked often because of the popularity of the Purple but shouldn't, the Blue is a fantastic cartridge also. The AMG Teatro cartridge which may not be as popular as the other cartridges mentioned as its AMG's only cartridge and paired more often with other tables then VPI but its also a nice player with the HRX. All the cartridges mentioned I own along with the HRX table and all the cartridges are in rotation often along with a few others......the flip side to all this is the phono stage side of things, something that shouldn't be over looked if you want to realize the full potential from any of these cartridges.....

audio.bill
April 25, 2018, 02:21 PM
The Cadenza Black, Bronze are great choices, also the Blue is nice and wouldn't rule out......all three have there own unique flavor and depends what your after. A few others to consider would be the Lyra Delos or Kleos, also the Kiseki Purple Heart or Kiseki Blue......the Blue gets over looked often because of the popularity of the Purple but shouldn't, the Blue is a fantastic cartridge also. The AMG Teatro cartridge which may not be as popular as the other cartridges mentioned as its AMG's only cartridge and paired more often with other tables then VPI but its also a nice player with the HRX. All the cartridges mentioned I own along with the HRX table and all the cartridges are in rotation often along with a few others......the flip side to all this is the phono stage side of things, something that shouldn't be over looked if you want to realize the full potential from any of these cartridges.....
Jeff - Very helpful post with your perspectives on several different contenders, thanks for sharing! I took a look at your site and noticed you're also a dealer for Soundsmith cartridges and would appreciate your thoughts on how their Paua for example compares. TIA!

Audiophilehi
April 25, 2018, 02:37 PM

Hi Jeff...thanks so much for the detailed response. You given me lots to think about. :)

I to to would be interested in how the Soundsmith and Grado cartridges compares as well.

A/V Solutions
April 25, 2018, 02:45 PM
The Paua is a fine contender, its not a cartridge that will high light one particular area more than another, very balance from top to bottom, another that deserves a good phono stage. A great feature they can be rebuilt for reasonable cost compared to others. One thing to note is many of these cartridge mentioned can be fantastic however the phono stage choice is a very important piece of the puzzle IMO.....I typically build around the phono stage, get that part right and you would be surprised in the performance of the many more affordable cartridges that many shy away from! If its a one time buy in and not planning to spend for awhile then I would rather spend on a great phono & good cartridge vs a great cartridge & good phono. As always YMMV.

A/V Solutions
April 25, 2018, 03:23 PM
Paul.....as mentioned briefly above the SoundSmith's are nice and very capable cartridges, so are the Grado's.....I can't tell you one betters the other that would be your (opinion) decision as it comes down to what your after sound wise, they do differ though. Having the availability of many fine cartridges in the market makes it difficult if your plans are just owning one or two carts.....

Audiophilehi
April 25, 2018, 05:10 PM
Paul.....as mentioned briefly above the SoundSmith's are nice and very capable cartridges, so are the Grado's.....I can't tell you one betters the other that would be your (opinion) decision as it comes down to what your after sound wise, they do differ though. Having the availability of many fine cartridges in the market makes it difficult if your plans are just owning one or two carts.....

Thanks Jeff!

Moby
April 26, 2018, 12:30 AM
..I typically build around the phono stage, get that part right and you would be surprised in the performance of the many more affordable cartridges that many shy away from!
Jeff: You’ve focused on the cartridges I’ve been considering to replace my Delos - which is a fine cartridge but I’ve got the itch. You can see the rest of my system in my signature and my phono pre is an Esoteric E-03. So my question is, what would you recommend to go with the Esoteric?

A/V Solutions
April 26, 2018, 02:50 AM
Jeff: You’ve focused on the cartridges I’ve been considering to replace my Delos - which is a fine cartridge but I’ve got the itch. You can see the rest of my system in my signature and my phono pre is an Esoteric E-03. So my question is, what would you recommend to go with the Esoteric?

With out knowing what your after sound wise and just reading from your signature of gear I would consider the Benz Gullwing, works well with your table, arm and will do so with the E-03.....there are other cartridge too but consider one's with a slightly lower output. The 66dB of gain from the E-03 is slightly high for the 0.6mV Delos.

Moby
April 26, 2018, 09:24 AM
With out knowing what your after sound wise and just reading from your signature of gear I would consider the Benz Gullwing, works well with your table, arm and will do so with the E-03.....there are other cartridge too but consider one's with a slightly lower output. The 66dB of gain from the E-03 is slightly high for the 0.6mV Delos.

Thanks Jeff. To answer your question imprecisely I love the detail, black backgrounds and transparency of the Delos but I find it a bit clinical. I don’t want colored but more musically involving sound and tight bass. From my other components you can see I’m a midrange maniac. I also look for great imaging. So, as always, I guess I want it all. I’d love to try a Micro Benz but I can’t seem to find one. Can you recommend sources or alternatives?

Kuoppis
April 26, 2018, 12:49 PM

Just bought the Benz Gullwing for my V12 and absolutely love it.

I had the Cadenza Bronze before, and while it is a superb cart, the Gullwing is so much better.

Moby
April 26, 2018, 01:29 PM
Just bought the Benz Gullwing for my V12 and absolutely love it.

I had the Cadenza Bronze before, and while it is a superb cart, the Gullwing is so much better.

Where did you find it? I can’t seem to locate any.

Kuoppis
April 26, 2018, 01:33 PM
Where did you find it? I can’t seem to locate any.

Hi Moby, that is a little bit the thing, they’re not easy to find. As I live in Europe, it is a bit easier here.

But if I remember correctly there was a dealer on the Sharks forum who still had stock. I’ll try to locate that posting for you.

Moby
April 26, 2018, 08:26 PM
Thank you!

A/V Solutions
April 28, 2018, 12:58 PM
Today's cartridge Kiseki Blue

Moby
April 28, 2018, 06:13 PM
Well, I’ve pulled the trigger. I’ve ordered a Soundsmith Paua MKII - a low compliance low output cartridge that matches well with my Tonearm and Phono Pre. It has received tremendous reviews (including by people I know and trust) and can be rebuilt for less than 20% of its retail price. Add to that the fact that the seller credited me with virtually the full amount I paid for my Lyra Delos several years ago in a trade-in and this became a no brainer. Hopefully my extended period of GAS since the beginning of the year is now satisfied.

A/V Solutions
April 28, 2018, 06:37 PM
The Paua is nice, with its 0.4mV output it should be better suited then the 0.6mV delos with the E-03....congrats & enjoy!

audio.bill
April 28, 2018, 08:47 PM
Well, I’ve pulled the trigger. I’ve ordered a Soundsmith Paua MKII - a low compliance low output cartridge that matches well with my Tonearm and Phono Pre. It has received tremendous reviews (including by people I know and trust) and can be rebuilt for less than 20% of its retail price. Add to that the fact that the seller credited me with virtually the full amount I paid for my Lyra Delos several years ago in a trade-in and this became a no brainer. Hopefully my extended period of GAS since the beginning of the year is now satisfied.
Congrats and please let us know your thoughts on the SS Paua MkII once you have some time with it, enjoy it in the best of health!

audio.bill
April 28, 2018, 08:47 PM
deleted - post was duplicated.

Kuoppis
April 29, 2018, 01:40 AM
Congrats, Soundsmith is a great choice.

Did you get a chance to hear it in your system before deciding?

Moby
April 29, 2018, 09:05 AM
Congrats, Soundsmith is a great choice. Did you get a chance to hear it in your system before deciding? Unfortunately not. Since I live in the Rockies, far from an urban area like NYC or LA that has lots of brick and mortar stereo stores, I often have to buy audio equipment blind without audition and based solely on advice and reviews. I'm surprised, frankly, that it works out as well as it does. I'll give a full report once it arrives and has been burned in. The upside is that yesterday I got to see two mountain lions on a neighbor's back deck and a magnificent bald eagle by a local pond. That is stuff you can't buy!

Moby
April 29, 2018, 09:11 AM
Duplicate post deleted

A/V Solutions
April 29, 2018, 02:23 PM
Today's cartridge SPU Royal N

Moby
April 29, 2018, 06:06 PM
Duplicate post deleted

Batty
May 29, 2018, 07:07 PM
At the moment I have an Audio Technica AT-OC9/III on my Rock, a Shure V15 type III/jico SAS on the Luxman and a Bellex HOMC on the Planar 3.

A/V Solutions
June 6, 2018, 06:33 PM
Today's cartridge GFS......

Drrsutliff
July 30, 2018, 08:05 PM
http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23249&stc=1
Windfeld Ti

Jerome W
July 31, 2018, 12:07 PM
Koetsu Urushi Vermillon and Rosewood.
EMT XSD15. Ortofon 2M Black.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

XV-1
October 5, 2018, 11:41 PM
After using SPU Classic and Royal I set up my Dynavector XV-1S onto the SME 3012-R. Preferring this a lot more.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1904/44404664624_43393584e6_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1927/30187503127_8927ae9e2c_b.jpg

Jerome W
October 6, 2018, 11:18 AM
After using SPU Classic and Royal I set up my Dynavector XV-1S onto the SME 3012-R. Preferring this a lot more.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1904/44404664624_43393584e6_b.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1927/30187503127_8927ae9e2c_b.jpg

Shane.....
Are you still using the Accuphase C37 phono stage ?

XV-1
October 7, 2018, 12:01 AM
Shane.....
Are you still using the Accuphase C37 phono stage ?

Yes sir Jerome. I love it. so much better than the Pass XP-25 in sound and usability. The only thing I do when I go from one table to another is switch the phono input - that's it!!

I only wish it had 4 or 5 inputs - LOL

Jerome W
October 9, 2018, 03:14 AM
Yes sir Jerome. I love it. so much better than the Pass XP-25 in sound and usability. The only thing I do when I go from one table to another is switch the phono input - that's it!!

I only wish it had 4 or 5 inputs - LOL

Ok Thanks Shane !
It looks like a terrific phono stage indeed.
Seems that you need an other one ! :)

XV-1
October 9, 2018, 07:38 AM
Ok Thanks Shane !
It looks like a terrific phono stage indeed.
Seems that you need an other one ! :)

Hi Jerome

When I move the Thales back over to the TW and put the Technics arm back onto the SP10mk3, I will use my special Dietrich(aka Acoustical Systems) input extender - It is very transparent - then I have 6 inputs if needed.

do you still have the cj GAT?

Jerome W
October 10, 2018, 03:20 AM
Hi Jerome

When I move the Thales back over to the TW and put the Technics arm back onto the SP10mk3, I will use my special Dietrich(aka Acoustical Systems) input extender - It is very transparent - then I have 6 inputs if needed.

do you still have the cj GAT?

I see. Yes lots of input extenders are very neutral. Very useful.
Yes !!! The GAT is still the King here. With EC182 NOS Telefunkens.....

Jerome W
October 20, 2018, 01:02 AM
Sorry bad typo I meant EC188 tubes.

mulveling
October 29, 2018, 01:59 PM
Shelter Harmony still surprising and growing on me in the main rig (over a year later); brand new Shelter Accord doing awesome settling into the headphone rig. Shelter may have become my favorite cartridge maker now?

The stylus shanks are also VERY tiny and use no glue on the aluminum cantilevers, so they seem to be a lot easier to keep clean than large shanks with glue.

https://i.imgur.com/gOp49wN.png

https://i.imgur.com/MsINaFA.png

Dr Morbius
March 9, 2019, 01:17 AM
I have Ortofon Bronze and Goldring 1042. Liking the Gold a bit better, but not by much.

Kuoppis
March 9, 2019, 01:28 AM
Anyone tried the EMT JSD P6.0?

Pearce Harrison
March 11, 2019, 11:54 PM
Lyra Kleos, replaced my Koetsu Urushi Sky Blue...way more resolution and far more neutral. Hearing things that I hadn’t noticed before on the record, which says a lot to me.

cyclopse
March 12, 2019, 01:17 PM
Third from the Lyra line up. Delos first, Titan i and now this on my Schroeder reference;-