PDA

View Full Version : mount up floorstanding speakers, should we?

chris
November 3, 2014, 06:09 AM
Hi,

I tried to mount my Tannoy (floorstanding) Cheviots last week on bricks yet they sound very different, in a bad way. The sound becomes lifeless, much of the bass is gone, sound stage is missing, imaging is poor, less musical, almost everything has gone worse.

I wonder if it's wrong to mount a floorstanding speaker. They sit too low (concentric drivers centre at least 20cm below my ear level!)even I am sitting on my sofa and that's the why I need to mount them up.

Thanks
Chris

Petro85
November 3, 2014, 08:38 AM
hi Chris,
i was just speaking with a friend who was listening to the canteburys this week. and as you can see in my avatar i love the looks but i have not heard them. he had the same complaint about them being too low. which i though could simply be fixed by building a small stand for them. maybe bricks are too hard and not forgiving enough to be the answer. have you tried something else maybe wood with some hard rubber in between either the speaker and the wood or the wood and the floor below. alot of people around have been using granite slabs under there speakers also and getting good results. i dont know maybe just some thoughts for you to try. good luck with them.

Shadowfax
November 3, 2014, 08:39 AM
I have actually had good luck placing both an older pair of Mirage floorstanders as well as my Dynaudio 82s on a granite slab with the spikes.

With the Mirage speakers, I had the exact opposite effect as you described. With the Dyns, it is not as profound, but looks good and makes swapping the Dyns with my Clearfields via hand-truck much easier.

Steve
November 3, 2014, 09:19 AM
Make a plywood box and fill it with crushed quartz. Acoustic Revive sell a product like this but you will need a bigger solution. The top should rest on the levelled quartz. 18mm Grade-AA marine ply should play nice.

I've heard it in another system. I liked the result.

Yamaki
November 3, 2014, 09:22 AM
You just need a very solid base to do this. Bricks aren't dense enough. Granite on top of dense hardwood would work well.

mr_scratchy_esq
November 6, 2014, 12:27 PM
I use Sound Anchor stands with Herbies Big Fat dots as a decoupling interface between the stand and the speaker. I also use the Herbies gliders under the spikes. This setup works for my Tannoy DMT 15 IIs.

mulveling
November 30, 2014, 02:50 PM
Like most Canterbury owners, I have the same problem. I never liked the idea of pedestal stands, aesthetically -- nor the hassle of sourcing/building customs. Tilting them slightly on their backs works great for me -- and you don't need very much displacement this way. Two spacers the thickness of a hockey puck under the front two cones, with the back cone in the stock cup, is stable and gets the tweeters firing very close to ear level (8-12' seating distance). It's a stable arrangement (on a wood floor, at least -- padded carpet may pose additional challenges, obviously) that doesn't mess with bass response. Sounds great!

joeinid
December 1, 2014, 05:22 PM
Welcome to the forum mulveling. Thank you for joining!