PDA

View Full Version : What happens now Ken has passed

Adrian Low
October 26, 2014, 10:43 PM
I don't know if anyone's brought this up but what happens now that Ken has passed? Who is running the company, designing new products and responsible for warranty?

Mike
October 26, 2014, 10:50 PM
Adrian - my understanding is that Ken's son is running the company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GaryProtein
October 27, 2014, 12:30 AM
who is Ken?

NOLG4EVR
October 27, 2014, 01:32 AM
who is Ken?

Ken Shindo. And yes, as I understand it his son is running the company.

He has been second in command for many years now. Long live the Shindo brand!

Jerome W
October 27, 2014, 05:49 AM
My question is : what happened when Ken was alive ? :)
I gave my CCQ for a check up to a very famous tube technician here. He informed me that the 2 blocks were differently wired. He was quite amazed.
Anyway they both sounded the same but I suspect that Ken built one and the other one was made by his son.
Even had this with my Manley Snappers. One block was not correctly wired ! My bad luck....
But I never had any issue with the Shindos...
To answer the question Shindo will continue the trip with Ken's son. But I doubt that there will be new designs. Shindo made enough for decades.

BTW, could someone give us Shindo's son first name ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

vortrex
October 27, 2014, 09:07 AM
"Over the years, with the help of his wife, Harumi, and their youngest son, Takashi—the builder of various Shindo amps and preamps presently in circulation—Ken Shindo produced an astonishing number of different hand-made amplifiers and preamplifiers."

Jerome W
October 27, 2014, 11:06 AM
"Over the years, with the help of his wife, Harumi, and their youngest son, Takashi—the builder of various Shindo amps and preamps presently in circulation—Ken Shindo produced an astonishing number of different hand-made amplifiers and preamplifiers."

Thank you !
Long life to Takashi !

kev313
October 27, 2014, 03:42 PM
My question is : what happened when Ken was alive ? :)
I gave my CCQ for a check up to a very famous tube technician here. He informed me that the 2 blocks were differently wired. He was quite amazed.
Anyway they both sounded the same but I suspect that Ken built one and the other one was made by his son.
Even had this with my Manley Snappers. One block was not correctly wired ! My bad luck....
But I never had any issue with the Shindos...
To answer the question Shindo will continue the trip with Ken's son. But I doubt that there will be new designs. Shindo made enough for decades.

BTW, could someone give us Shindo's son first name ?

While they could exist on Ken's work alone, I believe that there will one day be new designs from the Shindo brand.

briguy
October 30, 2014, 11:56 PM
While they could exist on Ken's work alone, I believe that there will one day be new designs from the Shindo brand.
My understanding is that the Vosne Romanee L is the first "new" design by the son.

As someone about to buy quite a bit of expensive Shindo gear, I'm definitely a wee bit concerned that the son might not be as the father. My understanding is that Ken tweaked how he built his products all the time. There wasn't "one way" he built something. Impossible to know if the son will show the same care.

Take a look at Apple as a similar story. Sure, Tim Cook was basically running the company even before Steve Jobs passed away. He's done a great job keeping the company profitable, but 3+ years on from Jobs death and I've really noticed a slip in the quality of Apple products and even design.

Hopefully this won't happen with Shindo, but I'd say the odds are really stacked against them and time will likely expose this. Fingers crossed.

NOLG4EVR
October 31, 2014, 01:15 AM
My understanding is that the Vosne Romanee L is the first "new" design by the son.

As someone about to buy quite a bit of expensive Shindo gear, I'm definitely a wee bit concerned that the son might not be as the father. My understanding is that Ken tweaked how he built his products all the time. There wasn't "one way" he built something. Impossible to know if the son will show the same care.

Take a look at Apple as a similar story. Sure, Tim Cook was basically running the company even before Steve Jobs passed away. He's done a great job keeping the company profitable, but 3+ years on from Jobs death and I've really noticed a slip in the quality of Apple products and even design.

Hopefully this won't happen with Shindo, but I'd say the odds are really stacked against them and time will likely expose this. Fingers crossed.

Not so sure. I love my new iPhone! Certainly not designed by Jobs.

Ken's son has been influential in not only building product but in many of the improvements over the years.

I would not be concerned if I was you. As they say, 'the apple does not fall far from the tree'.

Jerome W
October 31, 2014, 10:43 AM
Not so sure. I love my new iPhone! Certainly not designed by Jobs.

Ken's son has been influential in not only building product but in many of the improvements over the years.

I would not be concerned if I was you. As they say, 'the apple does not fall far from the tree'.

Yes, but it takes a long long time for the apple on earth to make a new tree...

briguy
November 5, 2014, 01:12 PM
By the way, I was wrong about the VR-L. It was designed by Ken.