PDA

View Full Version : A pre-amp is a pre-amp is a pre-amp?

Yamaki
October 19, 2014, 10:54 AM
Until recently, I was a member of the group that believed that a pre-amp is a pre-amp and that swapping them out really would not make a difference.

I swapped in a McIntosh MX- 119 a couple of weeks ago and found out I was soooo wrong in that assumption.

Now I've got some crow to eat. Anybody have any garlic salt? :snicker:

This thing sounds fantastic compared to my other pre-amp!

Mike
October 19, 2014, 11:00 AM
That happens. I would say isolation devices like Nordost Sort Fut cones under sources. Cable risers too. I used to laugh at people with cable risers until I attended the Ansuz demo Lars did at CES. I don't laugh anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yamaki
October 19, 2014, 11:08 AM
Thanx for the input, Mike. I've been seriously considering isolators, sound treatments and cable risers because the more I read from independent users of such articles, the more I am convinced they work. I'm just not sure my old ears will be able to tell the difference! :D

Albert
October 19, 2014, 11:26 AM
I used to use an EAD TheaterVisionp DVD player. Without isolation footers, on loud passages during a movie the picture would distort on the screen to the point that you couldn't make out anything. I put some silicone footers (AmCan Audio) underneath and problem solved, no distortion whatever on the screen. I now use some form of isolation footer under all of my components.

Yamaki
October 19, 2014, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the input, Albert!

Petro85
October 19, 2014, 12:06 PM
preamps are very important and very different and can change ones whole system. i spent some $$ and tried a bunch in my time, and all make a difference whether good or bad or just different.

Yamaki
October 19, 2014, 12:41 PM
Thanks, Steve. I finally figured that out. Took me longer than it should have! LOL

joeinid
October 19, 2014, 01:02 PM
I think the preamp can be the heart of a system and can make or break it.

Mike
October 19, 2014, 01:16 PM

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yamaki
October 19, 2014, 01:24 PM
I can truly understand that now, Joe. And...I think I've found the one that works best for me with the MX119!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/MADDOG95/Audio%20Gear/McIntosh/mx11907_zps2c74668c.jpg

joeinid
October 19, 2014, 01:37 PM
That's great Michael. Once you find a great piece, hang on to it.

Dpod4
October 19, 2014, 01:41 PM

+1 and hardest to nail down. Amp mating to speakers is super critical but fewer variables to pin down. Preamp is at center so it has to mate well with everything including one' ears and required functionality. I cycled thru more preamps than any other component before finding one where I am completely satisfied.

Yamaki
October 19, 2014, 03:30 PM
That's great Michael. Once you find a great piece, hang on to it.

That's the plan, Joe! :)

So far it's matching up well. The rest of my McIntosh upgrade is moving forward so I am hopeful the synergy in the system realizes it's full potential.

jaxwired
October 19, 2014, 07:01 PM

completely agree

Rantzmar
October 19, 2014, 07:21 PM
Until recently, I was a member of the group that believed that a pre-amp is a pre-amp and that swapping them out really would not make a difference.

I swapped in a McIntosh MX- 119 a couple of weeks ago and found out I was soooo wrong in that assumption.

Now I've got some crow to eat. Anybody have any garlic salt? :snicker:

This thing sounds fantastic compared to my other pre-amp!
A great preamp will give you all that front to back depth, a great sound stage, detail, and be very musical, among other things...

jaxwired
October 19, 2014, 08:02 PM
Thanx for the input, Mike. I've been seriously considering isolators, sound treatments and cable risers because the more I read from independent users of such articles, the more I am convinced they work. I'm just not sure my old ears will be able to tell the difference! :D

My advice (unsolicited I know) to you and everyone is to focus on speakers and electronics. Great speakers and electronics can sound stunning without any tweaks. Conversely, mediocre speakers and electronics cannot be "tweaked" to sound stunning.

jaxwired
October 19, 2014, 08:03 PM
I consider the preamp to be second only to speakers in impact to system sound quality. Based on my personal experience....

Yamaki
October 19, 2014, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the input! Even the unsolicited...'cause I like to learn more about this crazy hobby. :D

Jerome W
October 20, 2014, 02:45 AM
I consider the preamp to be second only to speakers in impact to system sound quality. Based on my personal experience....

To me it is
1/ Speakers and Room and Acoustic treatments.
2/ Source
3/ Preamp
4/ Power amp.
And Preamps impacts the sound much more than power amps.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

Rantzmar
October 20, 2014, 05:06 AM
My advice (unsolicited I know) to you and everyone is to focus on speakers and electronics. Great speakers and electronics can sound stunning without any tweaks. Conversely, mediocre speakers and electronics cannot be "tweaked" to sound stunning.

Internal vibrations in electronic are present. Until you use vibration control you never now how much smearing of the music is present.

kiwi_1282001
October 20, 2014, 05:11 AM
To me it is
1/ Speakers and Room and Acoustic treatments.

+1.

Speakers and how they integrate with the room and with the amplification is where the biggest advances in audio reproduction accuracy are gained ..... or lost.

Rantzmar
October 20, 2014, 05:21 AM

I think every thing in the chain has to be on par. Great speakers will only sound great with whats before it. A great preamp will only be great if the speakers are able to convey the great technology of the preamp. Try stringing your rig with some radio shack cabling and see how one likes it. They many not be able to pass on the transparency or air as a much better cable will. If one cant hear what his system is doing...then how would one know how great it really is?