PDA

View Full Version : VPI now making tube amps?

XV-1
September 26, 2014, 09:26 PM
What is going on?

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10557295_4620367523691_3331447271276705463_n.jpg?o h=39fb1a2f6bbcafcca40ddf8502e32aca&oe=5486ACBE

Mike
September 26, 2014, 09:58 PM
Sweet!

What tubes are those? Anyone have any specs on this baby?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

socfan12
September 26, 2014, 10:13 PM
I should be going back tomorrow. I'll get the specs then. The room sounded wonderful to my ears.:audiophile:

Jack
September 26, 2014, 10:13 PM
Or info on who Matt is sourcing it from. I don't think they went into the tube amp manufacturing business. They already seem to be extended on the TT end without a new venture.

Myles B. Astor
September 26, 2014, 10:32 PM
Steve from VPI/Cayin is making the amplifers for VPI. This new/retro amplifier is based on the old Scott 299 integrated amplifier and is rated at 60 wpc. Expected cost is $4000.

XV-1
September 26, 2014, 10:52 PM
Steve from VPI/Cayin is making the amplifers for VPI. This new/retro amplifier is based on the old Scott 299 integrated amplifier and is rated at 60 wpc. Expected cost is $4000.

Hmmm

Using Chinese made Cayin that make most of their amps in the under $1000 mark to make a new 60 watt intergated tube amp for VPI @ $4000.

Hmmm

Jack
September 26, 2014, 10:58 PM
Or you can just buy a Cayin from MD for a whole lot less.

XV-1
September 26, 2014, 11:02 PM
Or you can just buy a Cayin from MD for a whole lot less.

I have a bad feeling that most will think the same way

I can't see this ending well. I hope I am wrong.

Jack
September 26, 2014, 11:02 PM
Delete double post

Jack
September 26, 2014, 11:08 PM
From watching the CS complaints on other boards, Matt needs to concentrate on the business he was given and quit trying to branch out into other ventures. Support the products that got you to where you are first and when you can do that then branch out. It seems that under his leadership they have become the next Rega, with a new TT offering every month or two.

Myles B. Astor
September 26, 2014, 11:19 PM
If you're referring to the latest posts on audiogon, the troll should have checked his facts before posting. I think the other thread was more than capably answered. There always are VPI haters and bashers on that forum that seem to have nothing better to do with their lives.

MikeCh
September 26, 2014, 11:21 PM
From watching the CS complaints on other boards, Matt needs to concentrate on the business he was given and quit trying to branch out into other ventures. Support the products that got you to where you are first and when you can do that then branch out. It seems that under his leadership they have become the next Rega, with a new TT offering every month or two.

Amen.

Edit: I'm not a VPI hater by any means, I'm invested and love my TT

zuluwarrior0760
September 27, 2014, 04:01 PM
VPI is a company that has always made products representing real world value,
but it isn't really a secret that their customer service as well as quality
control isn't what it once was. VPI will tell you that themselves.....so will dealers...

The 3D replacement wand was a major debacle and represented prototyping
at the customer's expense. I don't think it's fair to refer to customers who
spent their dollars and want to share their experiences whether positive or
negative as trolls or VPI haters.

I sold my Classic3 and 3D arm to move up, but I won't hold my
3d arm experience against VPI and as a matter
of fact, I would say the newly released Scout Prime with a standard 3D arm
for 3000.00 represents an almost unbelievable value.

Marketing Chinese tube amplifiers though strikes me as a little bit risky, but
basing it on an old Scott design with old school tone controls is sort of cool.....
Would be interesting to compare it with the ARC VSI60, although I'm sure
the VPI will have a phono section :)

MusicDirector
September 27, 2014, 05:35 PM
What in the world?....
VPI makes some real world value stuff and quite a bit of it is "assembled" in China such as the RCMs. Some of the TTs are made and assembled in the US though. I understand these amps are at least made in China. If I want an amp from China I'll order direct as it's less costly, but I've had my fill of Chinese amps and the like and don't want any more.

Myles B. Astor
September 27, 2014, 05:39 PM
AFAIK everything VPI sells analog-wise is made in the US. That includes the RCMS. Most of the parts are made in the US except say cuing levers that are only made by one company in Japan. HW is a dyed in the wool Union guy.

Myles B. Astor
September 27, 2014, 07:19 PM
VPI is a company that has always made products representing real world value,
but it isn't really a secret that their customer service as well as quality
control isn't what it once was. VPI will tell you that themselves.....so will dealers...

The 3D replacement wand was a major debacle and represented prototyping
at the customer's expense. I don't think it's fair to refer to customers who
spent their dollars and want to share their experiences whether positive or
negative as trolls or VPI haters.

I sold my Classic3 and 3D arm to move up, but I won't hold my
3d arm experience against VPI and as a matter
of fact, I would say the newly released Scout Prime with a standard 3D arm
for 3000.00 represents an almost unbelievable value.

Marketing Chinese tube amplifiers though strikes me as a little bit risky, but
basing it on an old Scott design with old school tone controls is sort of cool.....
Would be interesting to compare it with the ARC VSI60, although I'm sure
the VPI will have a phono section :)

I'm not referring to customers. I think you know the people on audiogon that I'm referring to including a dealer who bad mouths anything VPI.

MikeCh
September 27, 2014, 07:51 PM
I'm not referring to customers. I think you know the people on audiogon that I'm referring to including a dealer who bad mouths anything VPI.

You've mentioned Audiogon (forum?) a couple of times but I don't see any discussions there on the latest from VPI. Do you mean Audio Asylum?

mep
September 27, 2014, 07:55 PM
I think their new amp looks more like an old Marantz amp than a Scott amp. I saw the 299D model number and looked up the Scott 299D and they really don't look a damn thing alike plus the VPI amp is more powerful. Does it represent good value for $4k? I will let others judge that after they hear it. I certainly don't know.

Back when I owned a TNT, I had good service from VPI including tips on performance improvements and even getting free caps that snapped into my TNT plinth to cover the holes of the useless pulleys.

puroagave
September 27, 2014, 10:13 PM
i think Sheila made VPI, any props should be credited to her. when my dealer's point of contact was Sheila she always made it happen. the tnt is now officially a relic, try getting basic parts today.

Myles B. Astor
September 27, 2014, 10:48 PM
You've mentioned Audiogon (forum?) a couple of times but I don't see any discussions there on the latest from VPI. Do you mean Audio Asylum?

Mike there's always some discussion re: VPI on audiogon; what I'm referring to, however, is the long term hatred and ripping VPI at any chance by several member of the forum. It's gotten much worse since they've relaxed moderation and at times, one is hard pressed to see the difference between audiogon and audioasylum.

MusicDirector
September 28, 2014, 12:27 AM
AFAIK everything VPI sells analog-wise is made in the US. That includes the RCMS. Most of the parts are made in the US except say cuing levers that are only made by one company in Japan. HW is a dyed in the wool Union guy.

I know the parts are made in the US, but I was told by one of their dealers that the RCMs are "assembled" in China (the parts are US of course which is what makes them so user serviceable). I knew the turntables were fully made in the US. So your saying the RCMs are fully made in the US as well? That's just a further good thing if so, for various reasons. It also means either the dealer was mis-informed or I did not hear correctly. Not a big deal or anything, just curious.

MusicDirector
September 28, 2014, 12:32 AM
Mike there's always some discussion re: VPI on audiogon; what I'm referring to, however, is the long term hatred and ripping VPI at any chance by several member of the forum. It's gotten much worse since they've relaxed moderation and at times, one is hard pressed to see the difference between audiogon and audioasylum.

Wow! Does it ever stop? I already know that answer, sadly. I think VPI makes very good products personally (The tube amp is the first thing I ever questioned from them). I have not dealt with their customer service, so I can't speak to that, but at the same time the fact that I have not dealt with CS is a good sign. I only have the 16.5 RCM, but hey, it's a damn fine machine and does what it should. I like their new DD table, but I don't have a home to mortgage to get one of course. (Of course, I don't need a table right now, what I have is more than plenty for me).

Myles B. Astor
September 28, 2014, 12:34 AM
Wow! Does it ever stop? I already know that answer, sadly. I think VPI makes very good products personally (The tube amp is the first thing I ever questioned from them). I have not dealt with their customer service, so I can't speak to that, but at the same time the fact that I have not dealt with CS is a good sign. I only have the 16.5 RCM, but hey, it's a damn fine machine and does what it should. I like their new DD table, but I don't have a home to mortgage to get one of course. (Of course, I don't need a table right now, what I have is more than plenty for me).

Keep an eye out then for the new Scout Jr.

Adrian Low
October 8, 2014, 06:20 PM
VPI just released the official webpage:
VPI Industries Inc. (http://vpiindustries.com/amp-299D.htm)

vpiindustries
October 23, 2014, 10:45 AM
I figured I would throw my hat in the ring since some of my workers who are in the building next door who are making the HW 16.5 and Cyclone stumbled upon this thread. The record cleaning machines and turntables are all made here at the VPI factory in Cliffwood New Jersey. We receive supplies and parts from our suppliers that are also located in New Jersey as well as New York and Pennsylvania. I'm sure if we really nit-picked we could find some screws and small parts that originated outside of the US. The closest we get to Chinese work is the fact that my guy making them is actually Chinese, actually our staff is essentially the League of Nations for different cultures, in fact I'm dating a Chinese girl! Working with VAS Audio (Steve Leung) is no different than when we worked with Dynavector and currently working with Soundsmith for OEM cartridges. The Inspiration 299D was designed and engineered between Harry and Steve. It is the "Inspiration" because it was inspired by the Scott which in Harry's retirement he got one off of ebay a few years ago. The casework is from overseas but it is still being assembled here in the VPI factory.

Regarding customer service and that Rega comment. After Sheila died from pancreatic cancer everything was in disarray and there was a huge transition that happened. When my mom and grandma ran the office we were 1/4 the size we are now. We have increased our office staff (yes grandma is still here too :)) and greatly increased our factory staff as well. We have also taken extensive steps to increase turntable education (I came from a teaching background). We have hosted dealer training events to certify our dealership and even plan to have customer training listening sessions as well. We are an inclusive brand, which roots from my mom's personality and attitude. In addition we have recently created our own dedicated forum for VPI customers to consult each other and have direct conversations with Harry.

Hope that helped cleared somethings up! :audiophile:

joeinid
October 23, 2014, 04:43 PM
Welcome to the forum! Thank you so much for joining and the explanation. I've had dealings with Steve. I love that guy. He's awesome and well as your company. Thanks again.

Mike
October 23, 2014, 04:50 PM
Welcome VPI. Love my Classic 3. Maybe you can ask Harry to join here. Lots of VPI fans here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asindc
October 23, 2014, 04:51 PM
The VPI forum has already proven to be a great resource.

highEndguy
October 23, 2014, 04:52 PM
Bienvenido Mat
Swim safely in the calm waters of Audio Shark

MDP
October 23, 2014, 05:28 PM
Welcome to AS !

As an owner of the original Classic, I'm a huge VPI fan. I absolutely love my TT.

Paul
October 23, 2014, 11:52 PM
Welcome VPI. Love my Classic 3. Maybe you can ask Harry to join here. Lots of VPI fans here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 I love my classic 3 as well ;)

Welcome to AS !

As an owner of the original Classic, I'm a huge VPI fan. I absolutely love my TT.

Adrian Low
October 27, 2014, 08:23 AM
welcome Mat