PDA

View Full Version : Another NFL Season Unfolds

Myles B. Astor
September 8, 2014, 03:16 PM
How's it looking for your favorite team???? Who's going to win Superbowl XLIX????

Giants go tonight against the Lions and we'll see whether Eli has mastered the new "west coast" (though WC offense is a bit of a misnomer since many variations). Otherwise it's going to be a long night.

Mike
September 8, 2014, 03:21 PM
My team is the Bucs, and they suck. Superbowl prediction? New England.

mep
September 8, 2014, 03:24 PM

New England looked horrible yesterday.

Mike
September 8, 2014, 03:31 PM

What do I know? I don't even really watch anymore. Hockey is my sport.

Myles B. Astor
September 8, 2014, 03:45 PM

Yeah how do they draft Bortles and not start him? What happened to this franchise?

How about the two worst teams of the year? My choices: Browns and Rams. Another miserable year for long suffering Browns fans.

Myles B. Astor
September 8, 2014, 03:47 PM

It's funny, it really doesn't look like the Pats improved their team maybe other than adding Revis. Granted this is passing league but you have to have at least a running threat. Plus the Pats wideouts stink. Gronk will help but not enough. And how long until he gets hurt again?

Mike
September 8, 2014, 03:48 PM
What about the Saints? How are they looking?

I caught some of the Denver game. Thought they looked good.

Peter Breuninger
September 8, 2014, 03:50 PM
The Eagles pulled it through, I predict a NFC East division win.

Myles B. Astor
September 8, 2014, 03:52 PM
What about the Saints? How are they looking?

I caught some of the Denver game. Thought they looked good.

Looks like Ryan picked the Saints D apart. 448 yds.? Falcons getting a healthy Julio Jones back really helps. Going to the Giants-Falcons game in October. Expect it will be a good game.

CPP
September 8, 2014, 03:53 PM

Sorry bud, my wife's team beat yours.

Superbowl, I'll tell ya at mid season. :D

Myles B. Astor
September 8, 2014, 03:54 PM
Anyone else have an issue with two Monday night games???

Myles B. Astor
September 8, 2014, 03:56 PM
The Eagles pulled it through, I predict a NFC East division win.

The Eagles seem to be the experts pre-season pick for the NFC East. Hopefully the real Foles is the one you saw in the second, not the first half! :) The team I thought might be good was Washington esp. when they added DeSean Jackson but that team can't seem to get it together. Nor can RG III. Is he going to be bust or star? I really want Morris on the G-men though.

mdkim
September 8, 2014, 04:22 PM
SB number 6 for the 9ers!! Although our defense didn't look as stout as I was hoping. I wish we played Dallas every week.

Despite my bias, Seattle looked very good Thursday. NO, ATL, DEN, and any other team that likes to air it out, will have a hard time matching up with physical defenses. We saw what happens to a passing team last SB.

mep
September 8, 2014, 04:22 PM
I think RGIII is going to be a bust. Speaking of bust, Ray Rice was shown the door today by the Ravens after the second video surfaced of the actual punch that knocked out his now wife. The NFL has given him an indefinite suspension. The thing that surprises me is that the NFL saw the first video which showed Rice dragging his unconscious then girlfriend out of the elevator. Everybody knew he knocked her out. But now that we can see the actual punch, well, things have changed. We went from a 2 game suspension to indefinite and the Ravens keeping mum to cutting him from the team. Did somebody think Ray hugged her out??

Myles B. Astor
September 8, 2014, 04:27 PM
SB number 6 for the 9ers!! Although our defense didn't look as stout as I was hoping. I wish we played Dallas every week.

Despite my bias, Seattle looked very good Thursday. NO, ATL, DEN, and any other team that likes to air it out, will have a hard time matching up with physical defenses. We saw what happens to a passing team last SB.

What are your picks for the surprise teams of the year?

mdkim
September 8, 2014, 04:48 PM
Myles:

It's so early but I don't see too many surprises this year. SEA, SF, ATL, NO, GB from the NFC, DEN, NE, HOU from the AFC. Perhaps the Jets shock us or the Raiders?! Lol...I don't see an AFC team winning the SB, however. Of course injuries can turn everything upside down.

the professor
September 8, 2014, 05:04 PM
Nope

I have more time on Mondays than Sundays anyway. I mostly have to travel on Sundays.

Anyone else have an issue with two Monday night games???

MDP
September 8, 2014, 05:07 PM
My team has always been the Vikings. They finally have a great coaching staff. I don't think they will make the playoffs though.

But I do think they will be one of the surprise teams this year. But their schedule is brutal.

Mike Lavigne
September 8, 2014, 05:31 PM

agree that pass happy/marginal defense teams get stoned with great defense since they can't keep their defenses off the field. and the Denver defense looked porous last night.

teams like Seattle and San Fran can limit drives and then control the clock, wearing the other team's defenses out.

as a Seattle fan, i fear the 49r's the most.....if they can keep it together in the 1st half. Seattle has it's own injury issues with it's secondary right now. but if we can get by the next 2 games against the Chargers and Broncos we should be fine. we won't go undefeated, but should control our own destiny when it all washes out. then it's home for the playoffs.

if Percy Harvin stays healthy this year, Seattle will be hard to handle for anyone. him and Marshawn......you can't stop them both. and that opens up our passing game.

mdkim
September 8, 2014, 05:56 PM
Percy looked explosive. And Marshawn is a monster. No team scares me as much as SEA.

Defensive play will dictate who wins the two (likely three) games between SF and SEA. If Lynch is held to under 3 yards a pop and we can get a few early hits on Wilson we have a chance...obviously the same holds true for SEA. Limiting the ground game and smacking the QB around will lead to mistakes and the offense pressing if it's behind by more than two scores.

I'm skipping the family turkey (I haven't missed this since I was in high school) to lend my vocal chords to the 9er effort this Thanksgiving :).

Myles B. Astor
September 8, 2014, 11:22 PM
Percy looked explosive. And Marshawn is a monster. No team scares me as much as SEA.

Defensive play will dictate who wins the two (likely three) games between SF and SEA. If Lynch is held to under 3 yards a pop and we can get a few early hits on Wilson we have a chance...obviously the same holds true for SEA. Limiting the ground game and smacking the QB around will lead to mistakes and the offense pressing if it's behind by more than two scores.

I'm skipping the family turkey (I haven't missed this since I was in high school) to lend my vocal chords to the 9er effort this Thanksgiving :).

I learned my lesson having foolishly picked Percy for my fantasy teams two years in a row. What was I thinking? Always injured.

Giants stunk up Ford field tonight. If not for Stafford's ineptitude, the score would have been worse. Eli looks befuddled, offensive line should be declared a disaster zone. Beatty, who the Jints signed to a big contract last year, couldn't block my grandmother and she's in a wheel chair. First Lion TD, Megatron wide open. Second Lions TD two Jint DBs collide and let Megatron score. Looks like the Keystone cops out there. Short week and wonder what Coughlins going to do. He was mighty testy on the post game wrapup tonight. Going to be a long season again. This time, some heads have to roll and the GM has to take responsibility for putting this team together.

Toobs
September 9, 2014, 04:10 PM
My 49ers looked good whipping the Cowboys:celebrate008_2::celebrate008_2::congrats:: congrats: My superbowl prediction?

49ers of course

dlb2
September 9, 2014, 04:52 PM
My 49ers looked good whipping the Cowboys:celebrate008_2::celebrate008_2::congrats:: congrats: My superbowl prediction?

49ers of course
You know I watched most of that game and if it wasn't for all the Cowboy turnovers I'm not so sure the Niners would have won.

Sent from my HTC One.

Katoomer
September 9, 2014, 08:42 PM
I don't see any big changes this year. Same top teams as last year. Gonna be tough to beat Seattle. I've been a Cowboys fan for
40 yrs. but they sure make it hard for me. I like the Lions and they are showing signs of improving overall this year. Jim Caldwell
is a great addition as head coach. Calvin Johnson is Superhuman!

Myles B. Astor
September 9, 2014, 09:02 PM
I don't see any big changes this year. Same top teams as last year. Gonna be tough to beat Seattle. I've been a Cowboys fan for
40 yrs. but they sure make it hard for me. I like the Lions and they are showing signs of improving overall this year. Jim Caldwell
is a great addition as head coach. Calvin Johnson is Superhuman!

How long until Jimmy J. steps in? :)

AJ Soundfield
September 9, 2014, 09:18 PM

When they run out of Heinekens and fish in the keys ;-).

I would have to think Seattle is still favored for the Bowl. They looked good.
I usually don't torture myself on Sundays, but I was a bit under the weather and decided to watch the Fins vs Pats and Bucs games. Obviously the real Bucs showed up. Not sure who those imposters were in the Dolphins uniforms.

cheers,

AJ

Katoomer
September 9, 2014, 09:57 PM

He is far too smart to go back to that mess!

Myles B. Astor
September 9, 2014, 10:04 PM
He is far too smart to go back to that mess!

Sorry meant Jerry Jones, not Johnson! :)

Katoomer
September 9, 2014, 11:11 PM
Jerry Jones is a good owner. He SUCKS as a GM!

Myles B. Astor
September 14, 2014, 04:51 PM
Giants stink up the home field opener. This is a bad team and like most bad teams, find another way each week to beat itself. This week was the special teams allowing a punt to be returned for a TD was crushing. And losing to a team with a backup QB starting.

Giants could be on their way to another disastrous start like last year and could easily be 0-7 at the bye week.

mep
September 14, 2014, 07:33 PM
I hope the Colts don't stink tomorrow against the Eagles.

Myles B. Astor
September 14, 2014, 07:46 PM
And Jets blow a 21-6 halftime lead against the Packers. Plus game has the weirdest call. Jets appear to have scored tying TD only to have it called back by the refs. Apparently the Jets had called TO; but it was the Asst coach that called the TO and not Ryan and the referee should have never granted the TO.

Myles B. Astor
September 14, 2014, 07:47 PM
Well at least the long suffering Browns fans have something to cheer about for a week.

Myles B. Astor
September 14, 2014, 11:34 PM
That's why they play the game and fantasy football is fantasy football.

Don't crown the Seahawks quite yet as they lost to Rivers and the Chargers today!

Bobvin
September 15, 2014, 11:02 AM
Hawks looked slow, Chargers really seemed to be faster off the ball and more physical. If it was an away game to the east coast I'd have blamed the time zone change, 'cause for years the Hawks played poorly on the cross continent road trips. But San Diego doesn't qualify. Just one of those games I hope is an anomaly that doesn't become a trend.

San Diego's tight end, Antonio Gates, with 3 TDs, was just a monster yesterday. Respect!

Katoomer
September 15, 2014, 11:09 AM
Gave up on the Bears half way thru the 3rd. 49ers looked very strong. Gave my mom a ride home and come back to see Bears winning. Arizona leads the NFC West. who woulda thought!

Myles B. Astor
September 15, 2014, 11:44 AM
Gave up on the Bears half way thru the 3rd. 49ers looked very strong. Gave my mom a ride home and come back to see Bears winning. Arizona leads the NFC West. who woulda thought!

Heard that from a few Bears fans. Plus this week seemed a killer for those in elimination pools.

Myles B. Astor
September 15, 2014, 11:44 AM
Hawks looked slow, Chargers really seemed to be faster off the ball and more physical. If it was an away game to the east coast I'd have blamed the time zone change, 'cause for years the Hawks played poorly on the cross continent road trips. But San Diego doesn't qualify. Just one of those games I hope is an anomaly that doesn't become a trend.

San Diego's tight end, Antonio Gates, with 3 TDs, was just a monster yesterday. Respect!

The new OC with SD seems to have turned River's career around.

veindoc
September 15, 2014, 02:13 PM
49ers
very depressed today
hopefully superbowl
2nd choice anyone but Seattle

Nick

mdkim
September 15, 2014, 03:49 PM

On the brighter side, the new stadium is fabulous!! Club seats for the win :). I don't feel so ripped off paying for the PSLs. At least we didn't lose ground to the She-hawks. Kap needs to play better.

Bobvin
September 15, 2014, 04:11 PM
Yep, yer 9er QB didn't have the best day. Its a long season. (As a Hawks fan, I kinda hope he has a lot more bad days, but he's a great athlete so I don't suppose that'll be the case.) Interesting the home and away Hawks-49ers contests are just two weeks apart, in the latter part of the season. GO HAWKS!

mdkim
September 15, 2014, 04:15 PM
My buddy and I were talking about how great it would be to go to Century Link this year. I'd love to experience the 12th man...I'd also love to get out of there with a "W." :P

Bobvin
September 15, 2014, 04:28 PM
Bring earplugs. Even knocking 15-20 db off the volume in that place, it is still ear-health threateningly loud. I wonder sometimes how to tell a great play from the rest of them, the volume is too constant in that place, just a full throttle roar the whole time. I repeat, bring earplugs!

Myles B. Astor
September 16, 2014, 05:15 PM
Eagles and Colts didn't disappoint! Luck loses two regular season games in a row for the first time. What happened to ex-Giant Hakeem Nicks? Hurt again? What a surprise! ;)

mdkim
September 16, 2014, 11:23 PM
Eagles and Colts didn't disappoint! Luck loses two regular season games in a row for the first time. What happened to ex-Giant Hakeem Nicks? Hurt again? What a surprise! ;)

Definitely some exciting football in the first two weeks. There's a reason the NFL is widening the gap between it and the rest of professional sports...and please I don't want to hear about the other "football." :D Apples and Oranges IMO.

Myles B. Astor
September 18, 2014, 10:04 PM
Tampa Bay getting run out of the stadium at half-time. Time to invoke the mercy rule! TB is a bad team.

Myles B. Astor
September 18, 2014, 11:03 PM
End of third and Atlanta up 56-0. This is embarrassing. Atlanta 457-138 total offense. Even the broadcasters can't wait for the game to end.

First the DV this week and now this awful show by TB.

CPP
September 19, 2014, 09:47 AM
I'm just wondering how many players will be charged with abuse by the end of the first quarter of the NFL season.

Mike
September 19, 2014, 09:49 AM
I'm just wondering how many players will be charged with abuse by the end of the first quarter of the NFL season.

The whole thing is despicable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Katoomer
September 19, 2014, 08:08 PM

The NFL is a complete mess right now. The on field product is amazing but what a joke corporate wise. Time for a new CEO ( I mean
commisioner).

CPP
September 21, 2014, 07:51 PM
The NFL is a complete mess right now. The on field product is amazing but what a joke corporate wise. Time for a new CEO ( I mean
commisioner).

This whole thing about having some fix in place by the Superbowl in 2015 is B.S. So what happens when some other player is accused of abuse, will the commissioner decide on 1 game, 2 -3 game suspension. I tell ya, the NFL is broke and this guy is waiting till 2015 to come up with a fix. Goodell should grow some balls and make a decision and some rules.

Myles B. Astor
September 21, 2014, 08:30 PM
Giants finally win a game against the hapless Texans. Yes I know the Texans were 2-0 coming into MetLife Stadium but they must have played the Sunny Hills Nursing Home Team. Fitzpatrick is not a starting QB and has proven that in several stops in his career. Only question is whether Fitzpatrick throws more TDs or INTs in a game.

Best game of day was easily the rematch between the Seahawks and Broncos. What a game! Peyton rallies for a score at the end of the fourth quarter and the Broncos make the two point conversion. Then the Seahawks take the opening kickoff of overtime and march down the field and score!!!!

mdkim
September 21, 2014, 08:45 PM
I'd gladly trade "great" games and matchups for a W :mad:.

What can I say...I'm a hypocrite. Excitement and drama are only good if my team wins. For now, it sucks balls...

Bobvin
September 22, 2014, 12:33 PM
Had the Seahawks game on record while I worked in the yard yesterday. Watched some then went to dinner, so I didn't know the outcome until late in the evening. My poor wife, who's a huge fan, had to go to bed and couldn't stay up for overtime. Sadly, I woke her up when Lynch leaped into the endzone. GO HAWKS! That was a great contest.

Shadowfax
September 22, 2014, 01:59 PM
Eagles are looking pretty good this year also but I hate that they prefer to come from behind all the time. Yesterday's game was pretty exciting for half of it, the 20 minute Punt Fest was a bit boring tho. They now own an NFL Record for winning the first 3 games coming from a deficit of 10 points or more.

Chip Kelly needs some Botox...he gots no Lips

mauidan
September 22, 2014, 03:05 PM
For you 49er fans:

Official San Francisco 49ers Levi's Stadium Time-Lapse - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or3IAVBkkdk)

Myles B. Astor
September 22, 2014, 03:08 PM
Had the Seahawks game on record while I worked in the yard yesterday. Watched some then went to dinner, so I didn't know the outcome until late in the evening. My poor wife, who's a huge fan, had to go to bed and couldn't stay up for overtime. Sadly, I woke her up when Lynch leaped into the endzone. GO HAWKS! That was a great contest.

Imagine if they had lost to the Broncs and lost two games in a row? ;)

Myles B. Astor
September 22, 2014, 03:09 PM
Eagles are looking pretty good this year also but I hate that they prefer to come from behind all the time. Yesterday's game was pretty exciting for half of it, the 20 minute Punt Fest was a bit boring tho. They now own an NFL Record for winning the first 3 games coming from a deficit of 10 points or more.

Chip Kelly needs some Botox...he gots no Lips

The rumble was almost more interesting. :)

Big B
September 22, 2014, 10:48 PM
How does Detroit upset GB. The one game on the parlay that knocks me out. FIX

Myles B. Astor
September 22, 2014, 11:07 PM
How does Detroit upset GB. The one game on the parlay that knocks me out. FIX

Good question. Rodgers 160 yds?

Shadowfax
September 23, 2014, 10:31 AM
The thing that annoys me most about these millionaire crybabies is how they dance and celebrate after "just doing what they are paid millions for". I can just hear them as they do their little Snoopy Dance.... "I did my job man...I did my job"

I think about how that would relate to my job. I guess I should dance and celebrate in the isles each time I actually do what I am getting paid for.

Here is a prime example of an idiot who just put himself out for the season trying to mimic and shove a sack in Rogers face. Seems like a Jumping Discount Doublecheck is good for 1 Torn ACL. Scroll halfway down for the clip if you missed it
AOL.com Article - Lions starter Tulloch injured during celebration, out for season (http://www.aol.com/article/2014/09/22/lions-starter-tulloch-injury-celebration/20966134/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl9|sec1_lnk1%26pLid%3D533883)

As far as all the domestic violence goes....Can you say "Roid Rage?"

CPP
September 23, 2014, 03:47 PM
The thing that annoys me most about these millionaire crybabies is how they dance and celebrate after "just doing what they are paid millions for". I can just hear them as they do their little Snoopy Dance.... "I did my job man...I did my job"

I think about how that would relate to my job. I guess I should dance and celebrate in the isles each time I actually do what I am getting paid for.

Here is a prime example of an idiot who just put himself out for the season trying to mimic and shove a sack in Rogers face. Seems like a Jumping Discount Doublecheck is good for 1 Torn ACL. Scroll halfway down for the clip if you missed it
AOL.com Article - Lions starter Tulloch injured during celebration, out for season (http://www.aol.com/article/2014/09/22/lions-starter-tulloch-injury-celebration/20966134/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl9|sec1_lnk1%26pLid%3D533883)

Agree

I feel these end zone dancing celebrations are comical at best and totally immature if not a failure at manhood.

Myles B. Astor
September 23, 2014, 04:10 PM
I totally disagree being an athlete-if only at the masters level nowadays. There's a difference between showboating or showing your opponent up and celebrating.

Myles B. Astor
September 23, 2014, 04:42 PM

Last thing first. I think one should be very careful when slinging around the tern Rhoid rage without evidence (not to mention recent medical studies even question whether Rhoid rage - that's a creation of the press-- even exists.). To be fair, make sure the next time your favorite actor wails on their partner to also accuse them of Rhoid rage since Hollywood is far and away the biggest consumer of PEDs. And they're not drug tested. No system is perfect but the NFL has implemented one of the most stringest drug testing policies of any professional sports league.

Most of all, DV is hardly limited to athletes. It is just much more prevalent within society than we want to think about. DV crosses ethnicities, socioeconomic status, etc.

Next you're comparing apples and oranges when it comes to jobs. Or celebrating. Do you go out and celebrate with a drink? Everybody celebrates in one way or another.

Next why pick on this freak injury and generalize it to all players and to the whole league? So if they walk and step off a sidewalk and injure themselves, they shouldn't walk? Or they hurt themselves in the weight room, they shouldn't train?

What boggles my brain is that everyone is so critical of athletes, calling them overpaid crybabies and at the same time, never mention the charitable things that many, many athletes do? But I really think that one really has to be an athlete to understand what they're thinking.

VukeNikko
September 23, 2014, 07:18 PM
I think sometimes fans of the NFL forget that sports is entertainment.

Katoomer
September 23, 2014, 11:44 PM
Also remember that everyone is replaceable. When these guys break the law, fire them. There are no shortages of amazing athletes.
The next guy can step up and become a superstar himself.

Shadowfax
September 24, 2014, 01:25 PM
Last thing first. I think one should be very careful when slinging around the tern Rhoid rage without evidence (not to mention recent medical studies even question whether Rhoid rage - that's a creation of the press-- even exists.). To be fair, make sure the next time your favorite actor wails on their partner to also accuse them of Rhoid rage since Hollywood is far and away the biggest consumer of PEDs. And they're not drug tested. No system is perfect but the NFL has implemented one of the most stringest drug testing policies of any professional sports league.

Most of all, DV is hardly limited to athletes. It is just much more prevalent within society than we want to think about. DV crosses ethnicities, socioeconomic status, etc.

Next you're comparing apples and oranges when it comes to jobs. Or celebrating. Do you go out and celebrate with a drink? Everybody celebrates in one way or another.

Next why pick on this freak injury and generalize it to all players and to the whole league? So if they walk and step off a sidewalk and injure themselves, they shouldn't walk? Or they hurt themselves in the weight room, they shouldn't train?

What boggles my brain is that everyone is so critical of athletes, calling them overpaid crybabies and at the same time, never mention the charitable things that many, many athletes do? But I really think that one really has to be an athlete to understand what they're thinking.

Valid points and questions.

Yes, I did use the term Roid Rage loosely. Since Lance Armstrong could beat the doping tests year after year, what makes you think NFL players with the paid doctors on board could not get past it? That said, these same doctors have so blown their hipocratic oath by telling players that injuries are not that bad, while pumping them full of pain meds, and pre game shots, along with massive doses of caffeine. I have worked with competitive Body Builders who were on the juice. I have seen first hand what it does to disposition, attitude, and temper outbursts.

At the same time, the majority of these guys like pain. They like inflicting it on others, and by the looks of all the tattoos and branding, they like it inflicted upon themselves. So why would they just stop on the field? They take it off the field because it is a way of life for some.

Yes, I am not comparing apples. These guys make Per Game what I make in a year. They blow play after play and the one single play they actually do what they are paid for, they have to dance and jump around like a 5 year old. It's totally uncalled for and has no place in Sport. Yes, I may celebrate with a drink or a pat on the back, but nobody is jumping and dancing like a little child.

Now, as far as charity goes, yes, the players and anyone else that makes that kind of money is advised to make donations for tax purposes. They may also have good will in mind but not all.

The media is not helping here also since they seem to zero in on all the thugs and hoodlums that are in the game, and we rarely see the stiories of yesteryear where as a kid I looked up to Bart Star, Johnny Unitis and the likes. Now we get to look up to Gang Thugs, Wife Beaters, Child Beaters, guys who shoot themselves drunk in bars.

I picked the video of the injury because it would not have happened if he just did his job and lined back up. But he had to taunt the opposing QB and jump around like a child, which cost him the season. These guys are paid huge sums of money to PLAY a GAME and they should just do that and be humble that they have the privilege to do so. A big majority of them can do nothing else and were pushed thru college because they played. Then they get quick rich and blow it all.

I will not purchase a ticket for Baseball or Football or Basketball. Hockey or Soccer, maybe.

Bobvin
September 24, 2014, 02:07 PM
As in life, for every asshole there's countless numbers of good, decent, honest folks. Same in professional sports. They don't draw attention to themselves, they go about their lives trying to be righteous human beings. God bless them. As for celebrating, its part of the gladiator culture of the sport. I'd like to think I could be humble, but if I trained as hard as those guys and pushed myself to the utmost of my ability and made a big play, I'd probably growl and prance a little myself.

I was at a charity event with my wife a few years back, and spent some time talking with Mac Strong former fullback for the Seahawks. That guy had shoulders like bowling balls, and was about two feet thick through his chest. Now take a Richard Sherman, the same size as myself (6'3", 195#), and ask him to take on a fullback the size of Mack Strong. Successfully tackling someone like Strong, you bet I'd be pumped up. That's a life threatening tackle for someone the size of Sherman. Those guys were born without something I have in abundance—FEAR :snicker:

Myles B. Astor
September 24, 2014, 09:49 PM
Valid points and questions.

Yes, I did use the term Roid Rage loosely. Since Lance Armstrong could beat the doping tests year after year, what makes you think NFL players with the paid doctors on board could not get past it? That said, these same doctors have so blown their hipocratic oath by telling players that injuries are not that bad, while pumping them full of pain meds, and pre game shots, along with massive doses of caffeine. I have worked with competitive Body Builders who were on the juice. I have seen first hand what it does to disposition, attitude, and temper outbursts.

At the same time, the majority of these guys like pain. They like inflicting it on others, and by the looks of all the tattoos and branding, they like it inflicted upon themselves. So why would they just stop on the field? They take it off the field because it is a way of life for some.

Yes, I am not comparing apples. These guys make Per Game what I make in a year. They blow play after play and the one single play they actually do what they are paid for, they have to dance and jump around like a 5 year old. It's totally uncalled for and has no place in Sport. Yes, I may celebrate with a drink or a pat on the back, but nobody is jumping and dancing like a little child.

Now, as far as charity goes, yes, the players and anyone else that makes that kind of money is advised to make donations for tax purposes. They may also have good will in mind but not all.

The media is not helping here also since they seem to zero in on all the thugs and hoodlums that are in the game, and we rarely see the stiories of yesteryear where as a kid I looked up to Bart Star, Johnny Unitis and the likes. Now we get to look up to Gang Thugs, Wife Beaters, Child Beaters, guys who shoot themselves drunk in bars.

I picked the video of the injury because it would not have happened if he just did his job and lined back up. But he had to taunt the opposing QB and jump around like a child, which cost him the season. These guys are paid huge sums of money to PLAY a GAME and they should just do that and be humble that they have the privilege to do so. A big majority of them can do nothing else and were pushed thru college because they played. Then they get quick rich and blow it all.

I will not purchase a ticket for Baseball or Football or Basketball. Hockey or Soccer, maybe.

Just FYI on the isotopic steroid testing.

Stable carbon isotope ratio profiling of illicit testosterone preparations - domestic and international seizures.
Brooker L1, Cawley A, Drury J, Edey C, Hasick N, Goebel C.
Author information
Abstract
Gas chromatography-combustion-isotope ratio mass spectrometry (GC-C-IRMS) is now established as a robust and mature analytical technique for the doping control of endogenous anabolic androgenic steroids in human sport. It relies on the assumption that the carbon isotope ratios of naturally produced steroids are significantly different to synthetically manufactured testosterone or testosterone prohormones used in commercial medical or dietary supplement products. Recent publications in this journal have highlighted the existence of black market testosterone preparations with carbon isotope ratios within the range reported for endogenous steroids (i.e. δ13 C ≥ -25.8 ‰). In this study, we set out to profile domestic and international law enforcement seizures of illicit testosterone products to monitor the prevalence of 'enriched' substrates - which if administered to human subjects would be considered problematic for the use of current GC-C-IRMS methodologies for the doping control of testosterone in sport. The distribution of δ13 C values for this illicit testosterone sample population (n = 283) ranged from -23.4 ‰ to -32.9 ‰ with mean and median of -28.6 ‰ - comparable to previous work. However, only 13 out of 283 testosterone samples (4.6 %) were found to display δ13 C values ≥ -25.8 ‰, confirming that in the vast majority of cases of illicit testosterone administration, current GC-C-IRMS doping control procedures would be capable of confirming misuse. Copyright © 2014 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

If you haven't, pick up Tyler Hamilton's book that documents the various methods that Lance used to beat the system. Some was getting around testing and some was political. But Lance switched from mainly using perfluorocarbon oxygen substitutes to blood doping and testosterone (like Barry Bonds). Nowadays, they check for blood doping by testing for phthalate, a plasticizer that leaches out the plastic the blood is stored in, in the athlete's bloodstream.

Another recent addition to the biological blood passport testing. Not to mention all samples are now stored for 8 years; so if a unknown illegal drug is discovered in the future, an athlete's blood can be retroactively tested.

Biological passport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_passport)

What is the Biological Passport? | Road Biking | OutsideOnline.com (http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/biking/road-biking/What-is-the-Biological-Passport.html)

Mark Jones
September 24, 2014, 10:38 PM
My wife just said to me, "I think I want to start watching football"

Katoomer
October 12, 2014, 08:34 PM
WOW! Who woulda thought the Dallas Cowboys could go to Seattle and do that to the Seahawks.

MDP
October 12, 2014, 08:42 PM
WOW! Who woulda thought the Dallas Cowboys could go to Seattle and do that to the Seahawks.

It was the best game I've seen them play in the last 10 years.

And no, I'm not a Cowboy fan. I just live here.

veindoc
October 12, 2014, 09:38 PM
Happy for my Niners what Cowboys did

Big B
October 12, 2014, 11:34 PM
There goes a lot of pools.

Shadowfax
October 13, 2014, 09:06 AM
What about the Eagles shutting out the Giants? Finally a Prime Time Eagles game that was worth staying up for. Ely couldn't do a dam thing last night.

The Eagles Cowboys game in 2 weeks should be a good one.

Ooops, We play Arizona next, not Cowboys.

mdkim
October 13, 2014, 12:28 PM
Very exciting weekend of football. I find it comforting that all/most football fans (myself included) rallied around Romo and the "girls'" beatdown of the sea-queens. Football camaraderie at its best as next week we'll all clown Romo for his gaffes and Jerry for his meddling :D.

No offense to SEA fans but it's easy to hate on them with Carroll and Sherman. Did you all see the dumbfounded look on Carroll's face at the end?! Priceless...

The Eagles dominated a supposedly regrouped and improved Eli and Co. All in all a fantastic Sunday. Let's hope the good vibes (at least mine) continue tonight.

GO Niners!!

Mike
October 13, 2014, 02:51 PM
Bucs suck. Nothing more to say.

mep
October 13, 2014, 03:03 PM
Bucs suck. Nothing more to say.

Nope. Those two highlighted words above pretty much says it all.

mdkim
October 14, 2014, 12:47 AM
Who's got it better than us :congrats:

Bobvin
October 14, 2014, 10:03 AM
Being a Hawks fan, we suffered a loooong time before finally winning a championship. There'll always be some haters. That said, the team looked good, imo, only once this year, that was the overtime drive against the Broncos. Defense was weak against the Chargers, they played mediocre against the Redskins, and got their ass handed to them by the Cowboys. I agree it was the best I've seen the Cowboys look in a very long time.

mdkim
October 14, 2014, 11:33 AM
Being a Hawks fan, we suffered a loooong time before finally winning a championship. There'll always be some haters. That said, the team looked good, imo, only once this year, that was the overtime drive against the Broncos. Defense was weak against the Chargers, they played mediocre against the Redskins, and got their ass handed to them by the Cowboys. I agree it was the best I've seen the Cowboys look in a very long time.

All good natured ribbing Bob :). Looking forward to the Nov. matchups where playoff slots and home field is at stake.

I still don't like Carroll :p.

Shadowfax
October 27, 2014, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately, another dancing fool hurts himself while celebrating the fact that he actually did his job.

Chicago Bears DE Lamarr Houston injured while celebrating sack against New England Patriots - NFL - SI.com (http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/10/26/lamarr-houston-injury-celebrating-sack-chicago-bears?xid=aol_home)

still-one
October 27, 2014, 04:35 PM
This comes after Stephen Tulloch of the Lions hurt himself while celebrating. This is giving new meaning to the Black & Blue Division.

Bobvin
January 6, 2015, 04:28 AM
My wife, bless her heart, called this afternoon to report we've been invited to the Hawks game this weekend. I like watching from my chair, in front of my 65" Panasonic plasma, but its hard to pass up an invite to the playoffs! I'll be bringing earplugs, the CLink is incredibly loud.

GO HAWKS, bring on some BEAST MODE!

Myles B. Astor
January 6, 2015, 07:53 AM
My wife, bless her heart, called this afternoon to report we've been invited to the Hawks game this weekend. I like watching from my chair, in front of my 65" Panasonic plasma, but its hard to pass up an invite to the playoffs! I'll be bringing earplugs, the CLink is incredibly loud.

GO HAWKS, bring on some BEAST MODE!

Bring the earplugs! :)

Bobvin
January 20, 2015, 02:33 AM
Well I did wear the earplugs for the Hawks / Carolina game, and it was sweet. We were at the 45 yd line, 11 rows up. The Richard Sherman interception was right in front of us. Thank God for -32db earplugs, though it gave a very surreal flavor to the game being in the midst of gen-pop but without the assault on the senses of 120-135db of roar. Made for a wierd intimate yet detached experience.

But that was last week. This week my wife and I watched at home in agony/anxiety for the first half, then only a wee bit of relief after the fake kick/touchdown. At the 5 minutes mark I looked a wifey and said "well, this is where champions do champion shit, lets see what happens" then we both chanted "Do Champion Stuff" at the TV for the rest of the game. After the final touchdown we were like little children bounching up and down with glee, my wife had tears in her eyes. She has tremendous respect for Russel Wilson.

It was great to watch a little bit of NFL history unfold. Not quite like the Heidi game, but a classic to be sure.

GO HAWKS

jazdoc
January 20, 2015, 04:07 PM
I was at the Carolina game too; wore ear protection and my ears were ringing for 3 days. I'm still not believing what I saw against the Pack...haven't even thought about the Super Bowl yet

Myles B. Astor
January 24, 2015, 12:35 PM
In reference to Deflategate.

Ballghazi: The New England Patriots lose an insanely low number of fumbles. Coincidence? (http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2015/01/ballghazi_the_new_england_patriots_lose_an_insanel y_low_number_of_fumbles.html?wpsrc=fol_fb)