PDA

View Full Version : *NEW* Kronos Pro

Mike
August 22, 2014, 12:01 PM
http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7277&d=1408723213

This is an update to the original Kronos.

From Kronos:

"The platters have been redesigned so there are no more seam on the front edge. The edges of the plinths are chamfered for a more finished look. A new black phenolic material allows us to obtain a much better finish on the layered edge.

All in all, this is the highest standard we have achieved in producing Kronos. Needless to say, we are very proud of the results.

The retail price of the Pro will remain unchanged at 35,000$ usd until the end of 2014."

annapolis Raider
August 22, 2014, 12:33 PM
you pull the trigger too early Mike? ;)

the professor
August 22, 2014, 12:34 PM
Looks great!

Mike
August 22, 2014, 12:54 PM
you pull the trigger too early Mike? ;)

That price doesn't include arm. I just couldn't muster the extra cash to get that last 1%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petro85
August 22, 2014, 12:56 PM
That price doesn't include arm. I just couldn't muster the extra cash to get that last 1%.

yours is cooler!!!!

Dre_J
August 22, 2014, 04:06 PM
This is an update to the original Kronos.

From Kronos:

"The platters have been redesigned so there are no more seam on the front edge. The edges of the plinths are chamfered for a more finished look. A new black phenolic material allows us to obtain a much better finish on the layered edge.

All in all, this is the highest standard we have achieved in producing Kronos. Needless to say, we are very proud of the results.

The retail price of the Pro will remain unchanged at 35,000$ usd until the end of 2014."

This is a nice table. I was in attendance for one of the first U.S. installs in early March of this year. I also did a complete cartridge setup on the Kronos Pro later that month. It plays music well.

Note: can't post with image because my post count is too low. Thought about making a few fluff posts but I think that's a waste of my time...

Dre

Mike
August 22, 2014, 04:12 PM
This is a nice table. I was in attendance for one of the first U.S. installs in early March of this year. I also did a complete cartridge setup on the Kronos Pro later that month. It plays music well.

Note: can't post with image because my post count is too low. Thought about making a few fluff posts but I think that's a waste of my time...

Dre

Try now.

Myles B. Astor
August 22, 2014, 06:12 PM

Dre

Which arm was on the table Andre?

Dre_J
August 22, 2014, 06:41 PM
Try now.

Thanks

Dre

Dre_J
August 22, 2014, 06:43 PM
Which arm was on the table Andre?

The Black Beauty.

Dre

Myles B. Astor
August 22, 2014, 06:51 PM
Are you reviewing the table or did you set it up for another reviewer?

Any comments on the Black Beauty and ease of set-up?

mep
August 22, 2014, 08:57 PM
Dre-Great to see you here!

Dre_J
August 22, 2014, 09:10 PM
Are you reviewing the table or did you set it up for another reviewer?
No on my reviewing this particular table mentioned and No on setup for another reviewer. The Kronos Pro belongs to a friend of mine.

Any comments on the Black Beauty and ease of set-up?
Simple in use and setup. Very solid and structurally ridged armtube. Interesting functional unipivot bearing design. This particular installation of the Kronos Pro sounds excellent, despite my setup skills :panic:, if I may say so myself.

Dre

Dre_J
August 22, 2014, 09:14 PM
Dre-Great to see you here!

Thanks

I'd been missing reading posts from both of you at the other neighborhood sports bar...

XV-1
August 22, 2014, 10:07 PM
The upgraded Kronos looks sensational. It has gone from a wanna be Clearaudio look similar with the metal/wood to a whole lot classier and sophisticated. The metal/black looks great and should sound better with the better damped resin

Well done. I have gone from Meh to WOW, industrial beauty.

Ki Choi
October 22, 2014, 07:11 PM
Thanks

I'd been missing reading posts from both of you at the other neighborhood sports bar...

I was thinking the same until I asked Myles.

Ki

mep
October 22, 2014, 07:41 PM
I missed you to Ki!

Mike
October 22, 2014, 07:50 PM
I was thinking the same until I asked Myles.

Ki

Hi Ki! Welcome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mep
October 22, 2014, 08:21 PM
Besides the fact that Ki is a great guy, he is super knowledgeable about R2R decks in general and Studer decks in particular. Ki is always willing to help people with questions, problems, and issues. Ki will be a tremendous asset to AS.

socfan12
October 22, 2014, 08:30 PM
Welcome, Ki!

Myles B. Astor
October 22, 2014, 09:30 PM
Face it! Ki is da man!

Ki Choi
October 22, 2014, 10:27 PM
I missed you to Ki!

I didn't know I could be missed, Mark... but it is nice to think so!

Ki Choi
October 22, 2014, 10:29 PM
Welcome, Ki!

Thanks, Allen.

Ki Choi
October 22, 2014, 10:30 PM
Face it! Ki is da man!

Myles,

I am not worthy! Thanks.

Myles B. Astor
October 22, 2014, 10:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FucbvoFFy0

Mike Lavigne
October 22, 2014, 10:36 PM
I missed you too, Ki.

Mike

Ki Choi
October 22, 2014, 10:42 PM
Still so funny! It's a classic.

If you haven't figured out I am trying to reach post number 10 - in order to post some photos here of my interesting tape machines and tape preamps before something happens to them. ;)

Ki Choi
October 22, 2014, 10:43 PM
I missed you too, Ki.

Mike\

Well Mike, it's fancy seeing you here also.

tunes
October 23, 2014, 06:16 AM

If you haven't figured out I am trying to reach post number 10 - in order to post some photos here of my interesting tape machines and tape preamps before something happens to them.

Yikes! What is happening to them Ki ? :)
Chris

MDP
October 23, 2014, 11:00 AM
Welcome Ki !

Steve
October 23, 2014, 11:49 AM

If you haven't figured out I am trying to reach post number 10 - in order to post some photos here of my interesting tape machines and tape preamps before something happens to them. ;)

One more post Ki! Enjoyed throwing your recent YouTube videos to the big screen. Most informative. Thank you. Between you and Michael Fremer's workshop here in Melbourne, I have a few things to think about.

(New Kronos Pro table looks very impressive)

Mike
October 23, 2014, 11:52 AM
One more post Ki!

Fixed! :)

stump
October 26, 2014, 10:23 PM
Kronos Pro V Clearaudio Master Innovation concept?
2 X Great twin platter Turntables .With 2 different concepts for having twin platter.Clearaudio upper magnetic drive platter requiring no belt and the Kronos second platter spinning in the opposite direction to counter twisting or bending motion.
Question ,Which concept would most benefit micro vibration to the cart?
Stump

Mike
October 26, 2014, 11:08 PM
2 X Great twin platter Turntables .With 2 different concepts for having twin platter.Clearaudio upper magnetic drive platter requiring no belt and the Kronos second platter spinning in the opposite direction to counter twisting or bending motion.
Stump

Good question. Are you asking theoretically or whether someone has compared the two?

From the Kronos website:

"Suspended platter and tone arm tables present a significant downside – a pronounced blurring of the musical signal. This is caused by TORSIONAL FORCES, a natural tendency of the sub platter frame to rotate in sync with the platter. Although this rotation is controlled by springs, or other elastic parts found in the suspension, at this new point of equilibrium, the slightest vibration coming from the stylus reading the groove is echoed back to the stylus, out of phase. The result: the stereo image produced is blurred and distorted. Critical musical information is permanently lost. To solve the problem of torsional forces, some manufacturers build a rigid turntable and completely eliminate the suspension. But vibrations produced naturally by mechanical components and the environment are fed back to the platter and tone arm, causing yet another type of blurring and distortion of the music signal. The resulting sound is often described as harsh, aggressive and glassy. While endless research into alternate materials has been beneficial in improving the sound of rigid turntables, because the platter and the tone arm are not isolated, vibrations can only be controlled, not eliminated. Additionally, the proposed design solutions create expensive, heavy and complicated turntables."

stump
October 26, 2014, 11:21 PM
"theoretically"
Clearaudio do not address the TORSIONAL FORCES and the Kronos Pro still has the belts running round the platter.It may well be neither idea makes a difference to micro vibration at the cart! I have the Clearaudio Innovation and doing the upgrade to Master I believe would be more for aesthetics reasons then musical gain.
Stump

Mike
October 26, 2014, 11:26 PM
"theoretically"
Clearaudio do not address the TORSIONAL FORCES and the Kronos Pro still has the belts running round the platter.It may well be neither idea makes a difference to micro vibration at the cart! I have the Clearaudio Innovation and doing the upgrade to Master I believe would be more for aesthetics reasons then musical gain.
Stump

At this level - its hard to go wrong. They're all great tables.

k500a
October 27, 2014, 10:27 PM
Hi Mike,
Is there any measurement data for the wow and flutter data for the Kronos pro / Sparta that can be shared ?
Thank you.

k500a
October 27, 2014, 10:38 PM
Sorry . Duplicate post

tunes
March 27, 2015, 11:35 PM
Pic from the montreal show - kronos and sparta with kubala and tenor. Sounded great!

socfan12
March 28, 2015, 07:06 AM
Very cool, Chris! Love my Sparta!:heart:

I think Mark from AMJ is there. Be sure to drop by his room and say hello!

Garth
March 28, 2015, 08:16 AM
Stump

I have heard the Kronos at a show very nice table met the builder good guy knows his trade. I own a Clearaudio and it is a great table but you would need the same arm and cartridge to tell at least I would. The Clearaudio is simpler in that the Kronos has a lot more bearings with the shaft off to the side more belts. I would like to put them side by side and find out the Kronos is far less money than my Statement. I prefer the Clearaudio design it seems simpler to me KISS both are great Tables better trust your ears budget one is a lot of money the other is a lot more.

I have never been sorry I bought the Clearaudio.

tunes
March 28, 2015, 08:28 AM
Louis mentioned that aside from the switch from three thinner drive belts per platter (on early models of the kronos), they have gone to two larger diameter belts per platter which also has less strain on the motor driveshaft. Also, they've upgraded the motor itself.
He hinted that there may be a new power supply option coming soon.