PDA

View Full Version : Summer is almost over and now its time to think about our beloved Shindo again.

KenSea
August 17, 2014, 02:07 PM
Yes and in doing so does anyone have any plans for upgrades, sideways or downgrades? I have about three more weeks till my VosneeRomanee arrives, starting to get a little excited. Hopefully Matt is listen........

joeinid
August 17, 2014, 02:11 PM
Congratulations on the new piece. The Shindo gear looks awesome. Can't wait for your thoughts.

Mike
August 17, 2014, 02:13 PM
Congrats Ken. Look forward to your impressions of the VR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NOLG4EVR
August 17, 2014, 06:54 PM
I may order a couple of Mr. T's for an upgrade. Tried one a few weeks ago on my Vosne Romanee preamp and the difference in sound quality was noticeable. Not night and day difference but definitely better. Two of them should cover my amp's, preamp and turntable.

Congrat's on the VR purchase Ken. You will love it! What are you using now?

Mike
August 17, 2014, 07:23 PM
Guys - not trying to open a can of worms....but do you think a pair of CCQ's would be a good fit for my Sonus Faber Stradivari's (4ohm/92db)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cucumber_jones
August 17, 2014, 07:28 PM
Guys - not trying to open a can of worms....but do you think a pair of CCQ's would be a good fit for my Sonus Faber Stradivari's (4ohm/92db)?

With what little I know I would say 4ohm = no.

Mike
August 17, 2014, 07:31 PM
With what little I know I would say 4ohm = no.

Ok, thanks. That was my gut feeling too.

Now...(again, not trying to open a can of worms)....but if not Shindo, then what have the Shindo folks heard that sounds similar to Shindo? Jadis perhaps?

NOLG4EVR
August 17, 2014, 07:38 PM

No, not a good fit. 92db not a huge problem for CCQ's but they are designed for 8ohm minimum and a fairly flat impedance curve. Think Devore Silverback type of speaker as a just one example.

kev313
August 17, 2014, 08:03 PM

Now...(again, not trying to open a can of worms)....but if not Shindo, then what have the Shindo folks heard that sounds similar to Shindo? Jadis perhaps?

I don't think Jadis sounds like Shindo. I had a Jadis el34 integrated years back that was great - absolutely beautiful sound. Properly executed Shindo gives you some of that, but - contrary to uniformed reports - is neither dark nor romantic. It is extremely dynamic and musically detailed (I think I might have just made that phrase up...but my gm70 are like a great 45 with no practical limits.)

kev313
August 17, 2014, 08:05 PM
I'm going to get a TSD15 in an A shell because I'm tired of flipping tonearms from G's to A's. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/18/va6emuhe.jpg

Paul
August 17, 2014, 08:28 PM

Mike. If you want to have the shindo gears. I would say go for it!!. do not wasting your time to find the shindo wanna be's coz its still never going to be shindo.

I wouldn't careless what people say. Just follow your gut. It's your system and you are the one who is going to listen 99% of time. I seen people using on 85 db with 6 ohms with great result.

If you want it just go for it. I wouldn't listen to any ones opinion. Coz they never will be with you in your room but you are.

Plus following by the book is boring :)

Katoomer
August 17, 2014, 09:04 PM
I would would love to hear Leben separates. Maybe they would work with your SF. Their new CS100P power amp puts out 100 W. and has adjustable output impedance 4/6/8/16 ohms. Can't find much info online about them.
But I absolutely love my little Leben CS300XS integrated.

Cucumber_jones
August 17, 2014, 09:16 PM
I'm going to get a TSD15 in an A shell because I'm tired of flipping tonearms from G's to A's. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/18/va6emuhe.jpg

Great Garrard! Love it. What mat is that? I just got a a23 hommage to upgrade from my regular a23 mat.

Mike
August 17, 2014, 09:33 PM
I would would love to hear Leben separates. Maybe they would work with your SF. Their new CS100P power amp puts out 100 W. and has adjustable output impedance 4/6/8/16 ohms. Can't find much info online about them.

Yes, I would love to look into those.

Jack
August 17, 2014, 09:44 PM
Mike

Did you contact the guy I told you about in reference to the Shindo?

Mike
August 17, 2014, 10:01 PM
Mike

Did you contact the guy I told you about in reference to the Shindo?

Not yet...I've been slammed with other things.

Jack
August 17, 2014, 10:11 PM
I understand that. I would be surprised if he doesn't have something in his "lineup" that wouldn't fit your needs. Have you tried the LM with the Strad's yet?.

Mike
August 17, 2014, 10:31 PM
I understand that. I would be surprised if he doesn't have something in his "lineup" that wouldn't fit your needs. Have you tried the LM with the Strad's yet?.

Not yet...the thought of carrying that massive beast upstairs isn't too appealing.

KenSea
August 17, 2014, 10:57 PM
Dale,
When I was down at Arizonia Hifi I listen to the Leben CS660 but I bought the Cortese. Frankly with the Proac speaker I had at that time I would have been better off with the CS660. The thing with Leben is he's not building amps to work with a hand full of speakers that all cost way to much. Don't get me wrong I love shindo but it's put a major dent in my savings account. I need to start a chapter of SA. Hi my name is bob and it been since last Tuesday since I ordered any shindo...... Hi bob

Katoomer
August 17, 2014, 11:36 PM
Dale,
When I was down at Arizonia Hifi I listen to the Leben CS660 but I bought the Cortese. Frankly with the Proac speaker I had at that time I would have been better off with the CS660. The thing with Leben is he's not building amps to work with a hand full of speakers that all cost way to much. Don't get me wrong I love shindo but it's put a major dent in my savings account. I need to start a chapter of SA. Hi my name is bob and it been since last Tuesday since I ordered any shindo...... Hi bob

When I bought my Cortese I discussed with Matt about doing Leben separates instead of Shindo. He steered me back on the Shindo path, but I think some day I will try Leben. It is beautiful equipment.

KeithR
August 18, 2014, 01:01 PM
Mike-

Ayre sounds really good with SF in my (limited) experience. No feedback design, but will drive the impedance (and tough phase angle) well- yes the amp is a hair dry, but this complements the SF well. Coupled with a tube preamp, might be dynamite. It has a megaohm input impedance, so any tube preamp in the world is your oyster.

For p/p tube, you have very good amps in the Phi 200s. Maybe tube roll the KT88s some more with the new speaks? EAR would be my next recommendation. The 890- but it needs to be retubed. Relatively inexpensive too. TDP amps aren't stale sounding.

Jadis and Zu is a poor combo from what Roy Gregory says, so I never tried it. It's very warm though, so perhaps not a good match with Strads. I've also heard of repair issues in the past and they seem to rotate distributors regularly.

KeithR

Mike
August 18, 2014, 01:05 PM
Thanks Keith....good thoughts. I have alway liked Ayre gear. Would love to hear it on the Strads.

kev313
August 19, 2014, 01:21 PM
I'm also going to focus on the Shindo that I do have and try to maximize my system. Inspiration:

http://truefi.blogspot.com/2014/03/incredible-close-to-music-ii.html?m=1

kev313
August 24, 2014, 02:19 PM
Great Garrard! Love it. What mat is that? I just got a a23 hommage to upgrade from my regular a23 mat.

That's just a thin DIY job that is somewhere between leather and suede. The A23 mats seem cool. I might email Matt about one of those, but I just ordered another Mr. T and and emt tsd15.

Cucumber_jones
August 24, 2014, 02:46 PM
That's just a thin DIY job that is somewhere between leather and suede. The A23 mats seem cool. I might email Matt about one of those, but I just ordered another Mr. T and and emt tsd15.

Hey. Ask JH for my email and I will send you my a23 mat to try out. I now use the hommage. I love my emt btw.

KenSea
August 24, 2014, 03:18 PM
Awwwwww , a very wise man has spoken

KenSea
August 24, 2014, 03:19 PM
Awwwwww , a very wise man has spoken

fjn04
August 24, 2014, 06:19 PM
Chris- Do you like the $250 A23 Homage mat better than the $100 A23 mat ?
I have the latter on both of my tables.... Cheers -Don

Cucumber_jones
August 24, 2014, 11:50 PM
Chris- Do you like the $250 A23 Homage mat better than the $100 A23 mat ?
I have the latter on both of my tables.... Cheers -Don

Yeah I think so. I have only had it for a week or so. I got my new speakers at the same time so it is tough to evaluate at this point. I may A/B at some point.

rower
August 25, 2014, 11:39 AM
What is the A23 mat?

I had gm70's with Sonus Faber speakers. Sounded quite good but the sound became effortless when swapped for the petite latours.

Mike
August 25, 2014, 11:41 AM
I had gm70's with Sonus Faber speakers.

I give up.

dlb2
August 25, 2014, 11:56 AM
Hey. Ask JH for my email and I will send you my a23 mat to try out. I now use the hommage. I love my emt btw.

Can't you just PM him your email yourself?

Petro85
August 25, 2014, 12:15 PM
must be a secrecy pact through shindo. lmao!!!!!! the distributor has to know everything.
hahaha!!!! j/k of course. :weird:

Cucumber_jones
August 25, 2014, 12:42 PM

Seems he can't figure out pm's on the app.

Cucumber_jones
August 25, 2014, 12:44 PM
must be a secrecy pact through shindo. lmao!!!!!! the distributor has to know everything.

I am sure this is just a super funny joke. But Sorry my post to help a fellow member upset you so much you had to take the time to make a post about it. I will try not to wast my my time helping fellow members again.

dlb2
August 25, 2014, 01:08 PM
Seems he can't figure out pm's on the app.

Gotcha. Just trying to help out.

Jerome W
August 25, 2014, 01:21 PM
I don't think Jadis sounds like Shindo. I had a Jadis el34 integrated years back that was great - absolutely beautiful sound. Properly executed Shindo gives you some of that, but - contrary to uniformed reports - is neither dark nor romantic. It is extremely dynamic and musically detailed (I think I might have just made that phrase up...but my gm70 are like a great 45 with no practical limits.)

Agreed.
I have a Jadis DA30 integrated in my living room. With NOS EL34 Siemens tubes. But works also with KT88 and 6550.
Very nice sound but clearly colored.
Shindo is much cleaner and neutral.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

kev313
August 25, 2014, 01:52 PM

Easy there.... I use the tapatalk app for forum access and haven't figured out any way to view my pm's. They come up in my "feed" but then I cannot retrieve them unless I go to the full forum site.

If anyone knows how to navigate this, please let me know.

Mike
August 25, 2014, 01:56 PM
Easy there.... I use the tapatalk app for forum access and haven't figured out any way to view my pm's. They come up in my "feed" but then I cannot retrieve them unless I go to the full forum site.

If anyone knows how to navigate this, please let me know.

Kev - have you created a TapaTalk account? It's free...I think.

This is what I see on my phone:

Press the three lines in the top left corner and get:

Petro85
August 25, 2014, 02:06 PM

wow ... j/k means just kidding ..... i thought.

dlb2
August 25, 2014, 02:14 PM
Mike's correct, you need to have an account and be signed in to access and write messages. It's free and has some nice features when signed in.

kev313
August 25, 2014, 03:51 PM
Kev - have you created a TapaTalk account? It's free...I think.

This is what I see on my phone:

Press the three lines in the top left corner and get:

Mike - That's awesome! I've got an account, I just didn't know how to get my messages! Thanks!!

rower
August 25, 2014, 05:32 PM
I give up.

What do you give up on?

Cucumber_jones
August 25, 2014, 05:34 PM
I am just mad at the whole internet today... :)

Katoomer
August 25, 2014, 10:15 PM
i am just mad at the whole internet today... :)

grumpy old man!