PDA

View Full Version : Stillpoints under Classic 3.

asindc
August 10, 2014, 09:31 PM
I recently replaced the stock feet on my Classic 3 with Stillpoints Ultra SSs. My Classic 3 sits directly on the top shelf of an Adona rack. At first, I used screw rods from unused cone footers from an Adona rack. Those were 1.25" long and proved to be too long to allow the SSs to screw flush against the bottom of the plinth. I then ordered 1" stainless steel screw rods. With either set of rods in place, the SSs are a significant improvement over the stock feet. The bass in particular is improved in every way possible, more tuneful, more depth, more impact, and better control. The highs are a bit cleaner as well, but most of the improvement is in the lower regions. I wouldn't say that the bass was lacking from my vinyl set up before, but the SSs have narrowed the gap between the bass of my vinyl set up versus that of my digital set up. I want to thank Nelson (highendguy) for the helpful encouragement in trying these on the Classic 3. I had not found much discussion about VPI Classic owners using SSs in place of the stock feet, but I am pleased with the results.

highEndguy
August 10, 2014, 10:11 PM
Your welcome Anthony.
Now we need photos
:)

Petro85
August 10, 2014, 11:41 PM
Your welcome Anthony.
Now we need photos
oh geez now were never going to hear the end of it .lmao!!!! who loves ya nelson!!! :yahoo1:
btw nelson we dont see you around enough anymore.

highEndguy
August 11, 2014, 01:24 AM
I'm the ghost of AS!!.
Boohohh

bthomas9
August 14, 2014, 12:35 PM
Your welcome Anthony.
Now we need photos

This

asindc
August 16, 2014, 06:59 PM
By popular request:

VPI Classic 3 Rosewood with stock feet.

With Stillpoints Ultra SSs.

With Adona 1.25" screw rods. The pic isn't that great, but the rods would not screw all the way in.

Again, pics not great, but with 1" stainless steel screw rods the Stillpoints screw flush against the plinth. I backed them off enough to slip a playing card in between and left them there. Really didn't notice any difference with these rods versus the 1.25" versions, but it eases my mind having the proper length rods in place.

highEndguy
August 16, 2014, 10:54 PM
Nice ,

highEndguy
August 16, 2014, 10:55 PM
VPI should sell with a Stillpoints option , right ?

asindc
August 16, 2014, 11:39 PM
VPI should sell with a Stillpoints option , right ?

I think they would benefit from such an arrangement, yes.

Nelson, have you considered putting Stillpoints under your AMG?

highEndguy
August 17, 2014, 02:29 AM
I saw a photo on the internet and did not like the way it looks
:(

Frank
August 18, 2014, 01:43 PM
Thanks Anthony, very interresting because the HRX feets are not my cup of the, too high for my taste.
So if i understand well, i need to buy 4 specifics screws (1" stainless screw) : could you tell me where you bought them ?

asindc
August 18, 2014, 04:03 PM
Thanks Anthony, very interresting because the HRX feets are not my cup of the, too high for my taste.
So if i understand well, i need to buy 4 specifics screws (1" stainless screw) : could you tell me where you bought them ?

Sent you a PM.

allvinyl
August 18, 2014, 05:12 PM
You don't want to secure the Ultra SS under the Classic 3 chassis such that the body of the Ultra touches the chassis of the Classic 3. You always want to leave a gap between the Ultra product and the component being isolated.

John

By popular request:

VPI Classic 3 Rosewood with stock feet.

With Stillpoints Ultra SSs.

With Adona 1.25" screw rods. The pic isn't that great, but the rods would not screw all the way in.

Again, pics not great, but with 1" stainless steel screw rods the Stillpoints screw flush against the plinth. I backed them off enough to slip a playing card in between and left them there. Really didn't notice any difference with these rods versus the 1.25" versions, but it eases my mind having the proper length rods in place.

asindc
August 18, 2014, 05:35 PM
You don't want to secure the Ultra SS under the Classic 3 chassis such that the body of the Ultra touches the chassis of the Classic 3. You always want to leave a gap between the Ultra product and the component being isolated.

John

John,

Thanks for clarifying. As I mentioned, I backed off each SS enough to slip a playing card in between. Should I make a larger gap?

allvinyl
August 18, 2014, 05:51 PM
No, the gap you set is enough. Just so the 2 surfaces are not touching.

John

John,

Thanks for clarifying. As I mentioned, I backed off each SS enough to slip a playing card in between. Should I make a larger gap?