PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate accident....................

Toobs
August 9, 2014, 03:51 PM
:hey:Guys
Last week I was moving my SHL5'S to clean underneath and had removed the grill covers. I set the left one back on the stand and connected the cables. I then set the right one back on the stand and immediately noticed that the super tweeter dome was seriously dimpled:reallymad::reallymad: How it happened I don't know. I do know that I'm extremely pissed. I got a piece of scotch tape and gently pulled out most of the dimple. All that is left to notice is a very small crease in the center of the dome and some minor crinkling around the edge of the dome. The domes are super thin and can dimple with the slightest touch. If you Guys are as finicky about your gear as I am, this kind of thing would bug you to no end.

I then listened to music for about 3 hours and everything sounded ok so I don't think the dome was perforated. However the fact that it happened is really bothering me so I called my dealer and he is going to order me another super tweeter. I wonder why Harbeth didn't put a mesh cover over the super tweeter as they did for the regular tweeters.

The next time I move the speakers to clean, I'll make sure that I'm extra careful:|

joeinid
August 9, 2014, 03:58 PM
Bob,

So sorry but accidents happen. I have a pair of Acoustic Research LS9 downstairs that one on my knucklehead brothers poked the tweeter and crushed it. This happened as kids but I'm still a little po'd.

Paul
August 9, 2014, 04:00 PM
Bob, This might sounds little funny but try this before you spend any money on super tweeter. It worked on my friend's Devore speakers.

http://thechaosandtheclutter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Suck-It-Up-Game.jpg

dlb2
August 9, 2014, 04:04 PM
That really stinks Bob. It would drive me nuts as well just knowing it's not perfect. I wonder if a mesh screen degrades the sound?

Sent from my mobile.

joeinid
August 9, 2014, 04:16 PM
Devore speakers have M&M's inside? I never knew that. Sweet!

:)

Bob, This might sounds little funny but try this before you spend any money on super tweeter. It worked on my friend's Devore speakers.

Paul
August 9, 2014, 04:25 PM
Devore speakers have M&M's inside? I never knew that. Sweet!

:)

LOL ..I googled the pic and that is closest I could come up with. BTW it was the smarties !!!!

Toobs
August 9, 2014, 04:35 PM

Paul
In my mind, it will never be the same and would still bother me so I'm gonna go with the new tweeter:peace:

rrwmd
August 9, 2014, 04:56 PM
Sorry Bob.

I think that sort of thing would totally bug just about any of us. The straw trick might just work--I hope so!

Ritmo
August 9, 2014, 05:20 PM
Sorry Bob!

Like you, I would be very unhappy if that happened to me. Agree with your plan to get a new ST. But I would also try the trick suggested by Paul; however, I would not try it until the new ST has been received. The last thing you want is to have some additional damage to the unit before the new one is in the house. Keep the "fixed" one as a spare.

Toobs
August 9, 2014, 05:29 PM
Sorry Bob!

Like you, I would be very unhappy if that happened to me. Agree with your plan to get a new ST. But I would also try the trick suggested by Paul; however, I would not try it until the new ST has been received. The last thing you want is to have some additional damage to the unit before the new one is in the house. Keep the "fixed" one as a spare.

Thanks Mike. I'm not gonna mess around with it. Who knows, I might make it worse.

mep
August 9, 2014, 06:16 PM
I have read that once a tweeter dome is pushed in (dimpled) and even if you can get the dimple out, the tweeter is never the same.

mep
August 9, 2014, 06:17 PM
Bob,

So sorry but accidents happen. I have a pair of Acoustic Research LS9 downstairs that one on my knucklehead brothers poked the tweeter and crushed it. This happened as kids but I'm still a little po'd.

Wow! Nothing like holding a grudge.:mad:

rrwmd
August 9, 2014, 06:37 PM
I had a pair of the original Thiel CS3's in beautiful teak wood from back in the 80's and one of my kids plowed into it with a Little Tykes scooter and gouged up the wood. Talk about PO'd!

joeinid
August 9, 2014, 06:39 PM
:ninja:

They were my dad's speakers, not even mine. :)

Wow! Nothing like holding a grudge.:mad:

BlueFox
August 9, 2014, 06:47 PM
Well, the good news is you can still use them while waiting for the new tweeter. Believe me, it could be worse.

mep
August 9, 2014, 08:32 PM
Well, the good news is you can still use them while waiting for the new tweeter. Believe me, it could be worse.

Right. You could blow up a Magico speaker for instance.

cmalak
August 9, 2014, 08:45 PM
Bob...sorry to hear.

Toobs
August 28, 2014, 05:19 PM
New tweeter coming on Friday.

joeinid
August 28, 2014, 05:50 PM
Awesome!

Congratulations.

New tweeter coming on Friday.

rszk
August 28, 2014, 08:26 PM
Accidents happen unfortunately. Glad to hear your new tweeter is coming. Being a Super Tweeter, it should break in quickly.

I just did a similar thing when moving my woofer cabinet and pressed in the edge of my Dynaudio 12" woofer causing the surround to partially delaminate from the woofer cone...Doh! Still haven't fixed it. Sure made a mess of my day!

Toobs
September 3, 2014, 09:07 PM
New tweeter installed. All is good:congrats::congrats::congrats:

Mike
September 3, 2014, 10:54 PM
New tweeter installed. All is good:congrats::congrats::congrats:

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDP
September 4, 2014, 06:56 AM
Congrats Bob ! The Harbeth's can sing loud again.

joeinid
September 4, 2014, 09:27 AM
Congratulations Bob! I'm so happy for you.