PDA

View Full Version : Improving Your Analog Front-End

Myles B. Astor
July 30, 2014, 05:58 PM
OK guys (and gals).

What's the next analog purchase you're dreaming about and why?

highEndguy
July 30, 2014, 06:12 PM
ARC REF Phono 10
or VAC REF Phono

socfan12
July 30, 2014, 06:24 PM
Quietly searching for a TT now...:ninja:

dlb2
July 30, 2014, 06:26 PM
Just did it Myles. New EMT cartridge. Reason: just looking for something different.

Sent from my mobile.

tunes
July 30, 2014, 06:57 PM
External tape head preamp. Lurking for a used bottlehead, king cello or doshi :)

Mike
July 30, 2014, 06:58 PM
External tape head preamp. Lurking for a used bottlehead, king cello or doshi :)

Nice! Do tell....do tell....

What about Dehavilland?

tunes
July 30, 2014, 07:16 PM
I'm open. Like her designs but not familiar with the tape pre.
It's for the nagra t audio.

RedSectorA
July 30, 2014, 07:19 PM
Lyra Etna that I should be getting in the next few weeks, that and new tubes for the Aesthetix IO.

Mike
July 30, 2014, 07:20 PM
I'm open. Like her designs but not familiar with the tape pre.
It's for the nagra t audio.

Terrific!

Paul
July 30, 2014, 08:04 PM

Me too ;)

Odyssey
July 30, 2014, 08:07 PM
Bergmann Magne: Floating on Air!

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bergmann/1.jpg

http://www.my-hiend.com/leoyeh/2012c/IMG_3851qq.jpg

socfan12
July 30, 2014, 08:09 PM
Me too ;)

Didn't you get the Linn, Paul? Or was that just an appetizer?:hungry:

I'm trying to decide start small, grow big, or get something that will last for a while...:huh:

socfan12
July 30, 2014, 08:11 PM
Just did it Myles. New EMT cartridge. Reason: just looking for something different.

Sent from my mobile.

Doug, distortion go down? Any other improvements?

Myles B. Astor
July 30, 2014, 08:17 PM
Bergmann Magne: Floating on Air!

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/bergmann/1.jpg

http://www.my-hiend.com/leoyeh/2012c/IMG_3851qq.jpg

Now that's what I call an improvement! :) What will the Bergmann replace?

dlb2
July 30, 2014, 08:35 PM
Doug, distortion go down? Any other improvements?

The distortion is gone. The stylus tracks great. This cartridge is smooth and rich and so musical and at the same time very detailed. The texture is amazing. I really like it!

Sent from my mobile.

socfan12
July 30, 2014, 08:44 PM
The distortion is gone. The stylus tracks great. This cartridge is smooth and rich and so musical and at the same time very detailed. The texture is amazing. I really like it!

Sent from my mobile.

:oley:

Davkj
July 30, 2014, 08:48 PM
I just replaced my phono pre with a Parasound JC-3+ and will look to replace my Ortofon 2M Bronze soon. I find it too bright and aggressive for my system and taste. Looking to replace my Traveler next year...

the professor
July 30, 2014, 09:31 PM
I'm still waiting on my UHA tape deck. :)

Soon. I hope. I think I'm next in line.

slowgeezr
July 30, 2014, 09:54 PM
I need to get a different phono cable. I was using a shielded RCA type interconnect with my VPI to my BAT VK-P5, as it was the only cable I had tried that prevented any hum. Now that I have received my TTWeights turntable, the hum has returned. This is because the phono cable, a DIN type, is not shielded. Now I have to get one that is.

Myles B. Astor
July 30, 2014, 10:01 PM
I'm still waiting on my UHA tape deck. :)

Soon. I hope. I think I'm next in line.

I see Christian just got his deck!

Myles B. Astor
July 30, 2014, 10:02 PM
I need to get a different phono cable. I was using a shielded RCA type interconnect with my VPI to my BAT VK-P5, as it was the only cable I had tried that prevented any hum. Now that I have received my TTWeights turntable, the hum has returned. This is because the phono cable, a DIN type, is not shielded. Now I have to get one that is.

Nothing is more frustrating than trying to exorcise hum! :(

slowgeezr
July 30, 2014, 10:27 PM
Nothing is more frustrating than trying to exorcise hum! :(
Ain't it the truth!

Petro85
July 30, 2014, 10:51 PM
mono cartridge and new phono cable.

Dpod4
July 30, 2014, 11:58 PM
Last 30 days....MC Anna, Kondo SUT (for Goldfinger) and Air Tight ATE-2001 reference that will take all four arms into 4 phono inputs, and top of line RCA phono cable from Jena Labs for spiral groove.

Bobvin
July 31, 2014, 01:51 AM
Considering MC Anna as an addition, possibly the 2nd armboard for the AMG. Would love to compare and contrast MC Anna to Benz LPS.

sharkmouth
July 31, 2014, 04:17 AM
I hope your wife knows Allen.... :fingers:

Myles B. Astor
July 31, 2014, 05:29 AM
Last 30 days....MC Anna, Kondo SUT (for Goldfinger) and Air Tight ATE-2001 reference that will take all four arms into 4 phono inputs, and top of line RCA phono cable from Jena Labs for spiral groove.

I'm a little confused. Doesn't your phono section have enough gain for the Goldfinger? As I remember, it has quite a robust output?

CPP
July 31, 2014, 09:15 AM
Me I voted to change out my tonearm. I have a SME SerIII a bear to keep adjusted.

Dpod4
July 31, 2014, 09:39 AM
I'm a little confused. Doesn't your phono section have enough gain for the Goldfinger? As I remember, it has quite a robust output?

Yes the Goldfinger has high output - and the ARC REF 40 has almost to much gain in MC mode. I just wanted to try a traditional hand wound SUT versus FET in ARC. I take the Kondo into the MM inputs. The Air Tight has traditional SUTs too. I tried the Benz etc on Kondo. The only cartridge that sounds at its best thru Kondo is the Goldfinger. For some reason it gives it a flow and footing and solidity that I have not heard thru other MC inputs of my gear. I had a listening session with Jennifer and Mike of Jena Labs and they agreed (and they are ruthlessly musically practical ...always about the music/sound never about the gear) that the Kondo was a keeper given what it does for the Goldfinger.

annapolis Raider
July 31, 2014, 10:44 AM
I've been demoing phono stages for about 3 months (Allnic, ARC, Boulder, Zanden). I have two more coming in at some point, but I believe the current resident, Thoress Phono, may be the winner.

tunes
July 31, 2014, 11:27 AM
Quietly searching for a TT now...

I hope your wife knows Allen....

Ha! +1 Allen!
Chris

asindc
July 31, 2014, 05:18 PM
Definitely a phono stage (though the Ortofon Anna intrigues me quite a bit). I really love what the JC3 does, but I would like to improve upon it. Might go for the JC3+, but I'm really looking more at the Allnic H3000 or Pass XP25. Tubes or SS. Having two inputs would be nice.

ICTWoody
July 31, 2014, 09:33 PM
I would like to pick up a Well Tempered Amadeus, but next will probably be a VPI 16.5 RCM.

- Woody

MtnHam
August 1, 2014, 04:41 PM
My vinyl is very good: SME 20/2 with SME V arm and an ARC Ref2SE Phono. Cart is a Dynavector XV-1s. I am considering the SME 30/12. Would this be a worth the cost upgrade? (I would purchase used)
Thanks,
Tom

Mike
August 1, 2014, 06:11 PM
My vinyl is very good: SME 20/2 with SME V arm and an ARC Ref2SE Phono. Cart is a Dynavector XV-1s. I am considering the SME 30/12. Would this be a worth the cost upgrade? (I would purchase used)
Thanks,
Tom

Paging Mark Jones....

NOLG4EVR
August 2, 2014, 01:51 AM
I would like to pick up a Well Tempered Amadeus, but next will probably be a VPI 16.5 RCM.

- Woody

The WTA is a really good table, especially for the price. Go for it.

With a RCM the best one is the one you will use regularly. Get a Klaudio or Audiodesk. You will use these these everyday and they work amazingly well.

mep
August 2, 2014, 01:58 PM
My next step is to add another tonearm to my SP-10 MKII that will be dedicated to playing mono records. I have the Beatles new mono LP collection on pre-order which got me thinking about this.

philb7777
August 24, 2014, 08:41 AM
With my XV-1s getting up in age, trading it in for an XV-1t this week. Curious about the Transfig Proteus, but just no way to audition or hear one.

Mark Jones
August 24, 2014, 11:05 AM
Paging Mark Jones....

Missed this LOL,

how about a great deal on a 20/12 but with a V12 Tom.

madfloyd
August 24, 2014, 12:07 PM
With my XV-1s getting up in age, trading it in for an XV-1t this week. Curious about the Transfig Proteus, but just no way to audition or hear one.

Would love to know what you think of the XV-1t coming from the XV-1s.

philb7777
August 24, 2014, 12:29 PM

Will definitely report back. I have had an XV-1s for around 4 years and loved it. Time for an upgrade and from what I'm being told, the XV-1t is a substantial upgrade. I'm taking the plunge so I should have a good comparison for everyone between the two. I should be getting the XV-1t in the next 7-10 days so stay tuned.....

Myles B. Astor
August 25, 2014, 04:21 PM

+1

rockitman
August 25, 2014, 04:43 PM
Will definitely report back. I have had an XV-1s for around 4 years and loved it. Time for an upgrade and from what I'm being told, the XV-1t is a substantial upgrade. I'm taking the plunge so I should have a good comparison for everyone between the two. I should be getting the XV-1t in the next 7-10 days so stay tuned.....

I never had a 1s, but I do have a 1t on my Graham Phantom Elite. It is a fantastic cart. It does everything well.

Loop4fun
August 25, 2014, 04:44 PM
I am replacing my Dynavector 20X2L with the Lyra Etna. The Etna is due soon. #22 I believe.

allvinyl
August 25, 2014, 04:50 PM
Next will be a VPI 3D printed tonearm wand to use on my 12.6. The 12.6 tube will be relegated to mono duty via a yet-to-be-purchased mono cart.

John

rockitman
August 25, 2014, 05:25 PM
I did recently buy a new mono cart to bring that playback to the next level. I should have it by week's end. 1 of 4 on the planet !

RedSectorA
August 25, 2014, 05:28 PM
I am replacing my Dynavector 20X2L with the Lyra Etna. The Etna is due soon. #22 I believe.

Unless you are buying used I would be surprised you would have #22. Go mine 3 weeks ago after a 6 month wait and it's #199. You will love it BTW.

Garth
August 25, 2014, 05:51 PM
I just did the Lyra Atlas and I am still trying to pick a arm.

Myles B. Astor
August 25, 2014, 06:53 PM
I just did the Lyra Atlas and I am still trying to pick a arm.

You won't be disappointed! The Atlas really brings music to life and is the closest to tape that I've heard.

Garth
August 25, 2014, 07:05 PM
You won't be disappointed! The Atlas really brings music to life and is the closest to tape that I've heard.

It is a great cartridge at the 21 to 22 hour mark I was not so sure But at 50 to 60 hours wow

Myles B. Astor
August 25, 2014, 07:14 PM
Yes like most cartridges, hours 10 through 30 are usually the worst. Some, like the ZYX or especially the Proteus take a bit longer to fully flesh out.

The first sign the Atlas is getting there is when the frequency extremes start to expand. Then the cartridge's dynamics and speed enter the picture. The cartridge's noise floor and spatial recreation is stunning.

Loop4fun
August 25, 2014, 09:00 PM
Unless you are buying used I would be surprised you would have #22. Go mine 3 weeks ago after a 6 month wait and it's #199. You will love it BTW.

Dan, I reread the email from his distributor to my dealer and it was number #22 "on the list"... not serial number. I'm really looking forward to receiving this cartridge. It will have been a long 6 or 7 month wait.

Thanks!

philb7777
August 27, 2014, 06:46 PM
XV-1t scheduled to arrive Friday. I should have preliminary things to report by the end of the weekend. Then a week or so thereafter and after adequate break-in, more to report.

MusicDirector
August 27, 2014, 07:13 PM
Nothing, I'm good until something breaks down or one of the cartridges has reached max time which is a very long time from now.

puroagave
August 27, 2014, 07:44 PM
i'm quite satisfied with my front end, never thought id hear myself say that. BUT, if I found myself in moment of weakness (a recurring theme in audiophiledom) id spring for a previously-loved basis debut and keep the rest the same.

A/V Solutions
August 27, 2014, 08:08 PM
Io Eclipse phono stage with dual power supplies arriving shortly :exciting:

This will keep me plenty busy with 56 tubes to roll between my Callisto and Io :lol:

asindc
August 27, 2014, 08:24 PM
Io Eclipse phono stage with dual power supplies arriving shortly :exciting:

This will keep me plenty busy with 56 tubes to roll between my Callisto and Io :lol:

I'd be interested to read your comparison of the Io to other phone pres you've had.

Dpod4
August 27, 2014, 08:26 PM
I'd be interested to read your comparison of the Io to other phone pres you've had.

I would love to hear a run down of strengths and weaknesses of all the phono stages !

Drrsutliff
August 27, 2014, 10:15 PM
Debating between a Lyra Kleos and a Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. I have recently had my Benz Ebony H retipped (just the diamond) at Soundsmith and it sounds great through the VAC pre MM section. My old LOMC (Denon 103D and Lyra Dorian) sound interesting with the VAC Divinyl SUT, but do not reach the level the system is cable of IMO. Time to upgrade.
Rick

Mike
August 27, 2014, 10:20 PM
Debating between a Lyra Kleos and a Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. I have recently had my Benz Ebony H retipped (just the diamond) at Soundsmith and it sounds great through the VAC pre MM section. My old LOMC (Denon 103D and Lyra Dorian) sound interesting with the VAC Divinyl SUT, but do not reach the level the system is cable of IMO. Time to upgrade.
Rick

I've owned both. Tough call. Cadenza bronze is warm sounding. Kleos is very neutral and dynamic. Pick which is best for your system synergy. Can't go wrong with either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Drrsutliff
August 27, 2014, 10:25 PM
Slightly favoring the Cadenza Bronze idea just for that warmth. My system is very balanced with excellent detail, so the touch of warmth may by just what the doctor should order.

Dre_J
August 27, 2014, 10:46 PM
Slightly favoring the Cadenza Bronze idea just for that warmth. My system is very balanced with excellent detail, so the touch of warmth may by just what the doctor should order.

This is system dependent of course..

Cadenza Bronze has subtle hints of MC Anna. They are not the same but it has the hints of warmth that Anna brings to table. This may work well with the CS2.4. I Have had MC Anna mounted off and on the past few weeks including this weekend to give it another listen before switching to another very rare cartridge.

The Lyra Kleos is WAY more dynamic, incisive, and direct than the Cadenza Bronze. It would be my choice but as I said, this is all system dependent.

I think you will be happy with either choice but they do bring different presentations to the table.

Good luck with your decision. I know it can be difficult picking the right cartridge to match the rest of the system.

Dre

Cucumber_jones
August 28, 2014, 02:20 PM
I went from a denon 103 to an emt tsd 15 sfl. I am super happy - what an upgrade!

rockitman
August 28, 2014, 04:54 PM
Had it not been for the AF1, I may have gone for this beast over the CA Master Innovation. In the $30k range, this may be the spinner to beat. Sperling...

Myles B. Astor
August 28, 2014, 05:48 PM
I'd like to hear more of it too since the importer was in NYC. There was something wrong with the set up at CES, at least when I heard the set up.