PDA

View Full Version : Greenhaus at Pitch Perfect Audio- a review

KeithR
June 22, 2014, 02:58 PM
First, kudos to Matt Rotunda for hosting music events, rather than audiophile gear showcases obsessed about watts and distortion. What a wonderful setup- in a 1920s loft building that was once used as a prop house for the film industry. The large and inviting listening room was mostly free of typical audiophile room treatments and had a beamed ceiling, record shelves on every wall, and lots of little green boxes. Much more like a home, than a demo room. Multiple Garrard turntables were spinning last night and Matt's record collection is spectacular. The loft space was designed for music, not a REW FFT. Matt also has the best bar of any "store" I've ever been to- lots of great bourbon and wine were being consumed!

From Roberta Flack to King Tubby and Elvis to Jack While, Warpaint, and Mogwai- real music was spinning for hours not pretend audiophile bs. Only LPs, but of course. The Shindo Latours were the focus and we started out with a Garrard table into the Shindo EL34 monoblocks. Sound was organic, warm, and musical. Usually these type of setups are dynamically challenged, but on the contrary strings had a particular dynamic quality to them and seemed to leap off the speakers. I've said to friends before, strings on Shindo gear are unparalleled.

We switched to the Shindo Lafons and the GM70s began a journey into SET amplification showing off that spooky inner detail- and perhaps ironically a little less warm sound than the Corton Charlemagnes. Bass was warm, but deep and with impact. This is all about texture and flow, not about imaging or hearing triangle chimes in a 1" spot in the soundstage- the big bottle SET produced a shove that worked quite well. Soundstage was very natural and 3D with decays that were long and drifting. It was the kind of setup you could listen to for days and never be fatigued. You tended to forget about the gear entirely. On a bit of a side note, when I read some reviews on this website, I'm always struck about how I listen differently- people tend to get overwhelmed with bass response, imaging, and other audiophile terms- but never comment on instrument flow, attack, resolution, texture, and decay. This is what Shindo is about.

One of the gentlemen (a Shindo preamp owner) begged to put on the WE 300Bs, so that came up next. On a Mogwai track, the room went quiet and the sound was transcendental- just amazingly warm and resolute sound. You really felt like you were in the music. Most there preferred the 300Bs, although while the midrange resolution was stunning, I found it a bit warm for me. The GM70s seemed a bit more balanced and dynamic and were my preference - but at this level, its all about taste. I had never heard a full Shindo setup, so it was quite an experience and I can see the draw to the system. Compared with a Magico/Constellation demo the previous week, it was on an entirely different level. It was organic and musical, but not lacking detail. If I had a criticism on the sound (every system has faults, including my own), I felt that a bit of air was missing on top. Again, this is probably more presentation than anything. I joked with Matt that a 50k stereo Constellation amp made little sense as an entire Shindo setup (Masseto/Lafons) costs 30% less and is eminently more satisfying.

I look forward to returning (and hope to hear the Devore O96s)- Matt's a dealer who does things right and deserves the great reviews. If there is anything I lusted for the next day, I have to admit it was the amazing space (with Matt's LP collection)!

Cheers,

KeithR

TommyC
June 22, 2014, 06:36 PM
Thanks for sharing. Synergy is amazing important. One doesn't need to spend a lot of money.

NOLG4EVR
June 23, 2014, 10:22 PM
What preamps were you able to listen to?

KenSea
June 24, 2014, 07:35 AM
Great report Keith I wish I had been there.

KeithR
June 24, 2014, 11:57 AM
The preamps used were the Vosne Romanee...and with the WE300Bs, believe it was the Giscours.

Mike
June 24, 2014, 12:09 PM
Great writeup Keith.

dlb2
June 24, 2014, 12:12 PM
Sounds like a great time. Is this event open to the public or do you need to belong to the club?

Sent from my mobile.

KeithR
June 24, 2014, 12:22 PM
most definitely open to the public. in fact, most of us there didn't own Shindo gears (well, I have owned a Haut Brion and demo'd a Montille before)

KenSea
June 25, 2014, 10:49 AM
First, kudos to Matt Rotunda for hosting music events, rather than audiophile gear showcases obsessed about watts and distortion. What a wonderful setup- in a 1920s loft building that was once used as a prop house for the film industry. The large and inviting listening room was mostly free of typical audiophile room treatments and had a beamed ceiling, record shelves on every wall, and lots of little green boxes. Much more like a home, than a demo room. Multiple Garrard turntables were spinning last night and Matt's record collection is spectacular. The loft space was designed for music, not a REW FFT. Matt also has the best bar of any "store" I've ever been to- lots of great bourbon and wine were being consumed!

From Roberta Flack to King Tubby and Elvis to Jack While, Warpaint, and Mogwai- real music was spinning for hours not pretend audiophile bs. Only LPs, but of course. The Shindo Latours were the focus and we started out with a Garrard table into the Shindo EL34 monoblocks. Sound was organic, warm, and musical. Usually these type of setups are dynamically challenged, but on the contrary strings had a particular dynamic quality to them and seemed to leap off the speakers. I've said to friends before, strings on Shindo gear are unparalleled.

We switched to the Shindo Lafons and the GM70s began a journey into SET amplification showing off that spooky inner detail- and perhaps ironically a little less warm sound than the Corton Charlemagnes. Bass was warm, but deep and with impact. This is all about texture and flow, not about imaging or hearing triangle chimes in a 1" spot in the soundstage- the big bottle SET produced a shove that worked quite well. Soundstage was very natural and 3D with decays that were long and drifting. It was the kind of setup you could listen to for days and never be fatigued. You tended to forget about the gear entirely. On a bit of a side note, when I read some reviews on this website, I'm always struck about how I listen differently- people tend to get overwhelmed with bass response, imaging, and other audiophile terms- but never comment on instrument flow, attack, resolution, texture, and decay. This is what Shindo is about.

One of the gentlemen (a Shindo preamp owner) begged to put on the WE 300Bs, so that came up next. On a Mogwai track, the room went quiet and the sound was transcendental- just amazingly warm and resolute sound. You really felt like you were in the music. Most there preferred the 300Bs, although while the midrange resolution was stunning, I found it a bit warm for me. The GM70s seemed a bit more balanced and dynamic and were my preference - but at this level, its all about taste. I had never heard a full Shindo setup, so it was quite an experience and I can see the draw to the system. Compared with a Magico/Constellation demo the previous week, it was on an entirely different level. It was organic and musical, but not lacking detail. If I had a criticism on the sound (every system has faults, including my own), I felt that a bit of air was missing on top. Again, this is probably more presentation than anything. I joked with Matt that a 50k stereo Constellation amp made little sense as an entire Shindo setup (Masseto/Lafons) costs 30% less and is eminently more satisfying.

I look forward to returning (and hope to hear the Devore O96s)- Matt's a dealer who does things right and deserves the great reviews. If there is anything I lusted for the next day, I have to admit it was the amazing space (with Matt's LP collection)!

Cheers,

KeithR
Sure tease me with the Lafon and 300B, but a great writing Keith

Petro85
June 25, 2014, 11:41 AM
nice keith!!!! that w.e 300b is the one i really want to hear and never have anywhere.
great write up!!! thanks!!

KenSea
June 25, 2014, 01:09 PM
nice keith!!!! that w.e 300b is the one i really want to hear and never have anywhere.
great write up!!! thanks!!

Yes, i need to win the lotto!

Petro85
June 25, 2014, 10:49 PM
Yes, i need to win the lotto!
yea me too!!! then i can just buy one and if its not for me who cares.lol.

rower
August 4, 2014, 07:26 PM
I went from the gm70 to the we 300b ltd. no regrets!

Kt77
August 7, 2014, 02:26 PM
Nice write up Keith,

Matt is one of the most honest dealers I've spoken with along with Don Better ( Don Better Audio ) who tells it like it is, as well as Dale Shepard of Eugene Hi-Fi, whom are all very passionate about the whole Tone Imports distributed products, and yes, there's a synergy thing going on between these lines as well as in tandem with the WTL Turntables and Acoustic Plan Phono-Stages and Digital ware, it's not funny.

As for the rolled off top end, or obscured highs as I've heard a few others say about the Shindo Labs components - I'll take it any day as opposed to being slapped across the face in a wall to wall sound of overly emphasized highs anytime of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Give it to me.

O_o scar

Loop4fun
August 7, 2014, 03:39 PM
I went from the gm70 to the we 300b ltd. no regrets!

Richard, any issues with 300b tubes or the amps in general?

Could you give a brief description of the differences in both PL models you own(d) one had the bent horn and woofer. One did not have that particular horn.

Any material differences in performance? Have you traded the newer speakers on the Latour?

I have to say I'm in love with mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rower
August 7, 2014, 10:30 PM
I have had no issues with the 300b's.

The older petites were well broken in so they sounded more open. I liked the looks of the older ones slightly more perhaps. Basically the same sound, projecting on the break in differences.

NOLG4EVR
August 8, 2014, 12:04 AM
I have had no issues with the 300b's.

The older petites were well broken in so they sounded more open. I liked the looks of the older ones slightly more perhaps. Basically the same sound, projecting on the break in differences.

Do you still have the Petites or have you now moved to the full sized Latour's?

rower
August 8, 2014, 12:52 AM
I still have Petites.

rower
August 8, 2014, 12:53 AM
Btw, Matt is the most incredible dealer.

omodo
August 8, 2014, 01:01 AM
The older petites were well broken in so they sounded more open.

Perhaps that's due to the modified or non-original drivers ? :rolleyes: caveat emptor as they say...

rower
August 8, 2014, 01:12 AM
Perhaps that's due to the modified or non-original drivers ? :rolleyes: caveat emptor as they say...

And I understood they were more relaxed as they had recently taken a long cruise.