PDA

View Full Version : What choice of sub would you make for a 2 channel system? Speed, accuracy etc.

sharkmouth
April 28, 2014, 03:43 AM
I am interested in what peoples experiences are with one or two subs in their 2 channel system. In my mind a two channel system must be fast, accurate & articulate in the bass. If you have heard fast bass, you will know exactly what I am asking, what say you?

audio.bill
April 28, 2014, 09:03 AM
Generally speaking sealed subwoofer designs are "faster" than ported ones, and two subs in a given room will provide more even bass with fewer nodes throughout the room.

Mike
April 28, 2014, 09:10 AM
The one in your Avatar!

I'm pleasantly surprised by the speed of the Seaton Submersives I own.

If I was buying today, probably a pair of JL Audio F212's.

the professor
April 28, 2014, 01:01 PM
Using stereo subs, one for each channel is in my opinion is A LOT better than one. Even crossing over at low freq, it's amazing how much bass is different from the left to the right.

NorthStar
April 28, 2014, 01:52 PM
If a pair of stereo full range speakers exist; so why not a pair of stereo monitors supplemented by a pair of stereo subwoofers.
{Minus 0.5dB @ 18Hz and with 116dB SPL}

Some experts mentioned that a summed mono bass output from the left and right channel and directed to a pair of subwoofers is just fine as most music recordings don't contain stereo low frequencies, simply a sum up.

I would love to be re-educated again by the most prestigious industry's leaders, on this subject.
But two subs for sure; better than just one. ...Even for just a two-channel stereo sound system. ...My own proven opinion.

* It would also be interesting to determine exactly which low bass frequencies (x-over) are sent to them dual subs.
Perhaps there would be a difference between say 80Hz and 40Hz. ...Or lower, 30-35Hz. ...That would have to be determined by the best match possible between the monitors (or speakers) used and them matching two subs.

Also, how do you connect them is important. Line level (main in/pre out - Low level unbalanced RCA or balanced XLR), speaker level (High level), sub out level at the preamp end, ...?
And, any equalizer involved?

Generally a sealed sub is tighter, sharper, more natural in its descent towards the lows. And a 6dB per octave slope is a more gentle one for a better bland (natural). The right crossover is also very important, to the precise Hz point, like 36.5Hz x-over for example.

And nothing bigger than 12" drivers; a multiple of 8" drivers is good. ...Say a sub with three 8" drivers, or one with dual 10" drivers.
...For music listening that is.

<<>> I learned some from Richard Hardesty, Mr. Boom. Ultra High-End audio writer and professional subwoofer/amp/preamp/DAC expert.
=> http://www.audioperfectionist.com

Shadowfax
April 28, 2014, 01:59 PM
Using stereo subs, one for each channel is in my opinion is A LOT better than one. Even crossing over at low freq, it's amazing how much bass is different from the left to the right.

My VAC pre has issues with that theory. It is dual mono and I was told that both channels put out the same LFE. If I place a Y-connector anywhere in the chain, it shorts the Pre to MONO. I only use one sub driven from the right channel only of my pre, but I use it rarely for 2ch play. For HT, the sub is driven by the Integra.

the professor
April 28, 2014, 02:17 PM
In my thoughts, there are no Y connectors. I must not be saying it correctly.

I run the left out to the left sub and run the right out to the right sub.

My VAC pre has issues with that theory. It is dual mono and I was told that both channels put out the same LFE. If I place a Y-connector anywhere in the chain, it shorts the Pre to MONO. I only use one sub driven from the right channel only of my pre, but I use it rarely for 2ch play. For HT, the sub is driven by the Integra.

Shadowfax
April 28, 2014, 02:19 PM
In my thoughts, there are no Y connectors. I must not be saying it correctly.

I run the left out to the left sub and run the right out to the right sub.

I understand that for 2 subs, but if I try to combine Left and Right going into 1 sub, the whole pre shorts to mono.

audio.bill
April 28, 2014, 04:33 PM
I understand that for 2 subs, but if I try to combine Left and Right going into 1 sub, the whole pre shorts to mono.
That should NOT happen with most subs having separate left and right inputs, only if you try to combine the left and right outputs with a Y connector which is not recommended.