PDA

View Full Version : McIntosh mc2KW

Mike
April 1, 2014, 11:09 PM
Is there anyone out there who has actually heard these amps? How do they compare to say the 1.2kw and 601's?

Curious.

JJinID
April 1, 2014, 11:22 PM
Yes I've heard them Mike and they are at another level above the MC1.2kw's. Not only do they sound both sweet and dynamic at the same time, I felt they were more resolving and sounded better at low volumes when barely being worked hard at all.

joeinid
April 1, 2014, 11:30 PM
Uh Oh! :)

Mike
April 1, 2014, 11:36 PM
Yes I've heard them Mike and they are at another level above the MC1.2kw's. Not only do they sound both sweet and dynamic at the same time, I felt they were more resolving and sounded better at low volumes when barely being worked hard at all.

Thanks.

highEndguy
April 2, 2014, 12:06 AM
Uh Oh, :D

volks
April 2, 2014, 12:13 AM
Uh Oh! :)

Haha :) everyone is thinking the same thing :)

Paul
April 2, 2014, 01:56 AM
Mike. Please contact Richard Mak on his opinion. Long time owner and reviewer for dagogo and stereopal. I will pm you his email address.

joeinid
April 2, 2014, 05:05 AM
Awesome description Jeff. Sounds like my dream amps. I've wanted these ever since I've known about them.

Mike
April 2, 2014, 07:02 AM
Mike. Please contact Richard Mak on his opinion. Long time owner and reviewer for dagogo and stereopal. I will pm you his email address.

We've been in communication. That's what got me asking. He is the only one I know with them.

MDP
April 2, 2014, 07:32 AM
Uh Oh !!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
April 2, 2014, 08:22 AM
I'm just asking.... ;)

Mike
April 2, 2014, 08:59 AM
http://youtu.be/zO1nfoGsuR4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://youtu.be/zO1nfoGsuR4

joeinid
April 2, 2014, 11:12 AM
MC2KW's and Dynaudio - Wow!

the professor
April 2, 2014, 11:25 AM
They sure would take up some real estate. Not to mention the 750lbs for a pair of them.

I say get em! :) You will always wonder what you are missing if ya don't.

Mike
April 2, 2014, 12:00 PM
Here's my dilemma: I'm loving the 601/2500/Alexia synergy. But like when I had the Sonus Faber Stradivari's and thinking moving to the Aida's would be better. Well....BIG MISTAKE. So I'm wondering if these would truly sound better. I don't want to make the same mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeinid
April 2, 2014, 12:15 PM
I think going from speakers like Strads to Aida is a different deal than from amps like the MC601's to MC2KW's. I like all the McIntosh amps and truly lust for the MC2KW's.

-E-
April 2, 2014, 12:29 PM
Yes, many times over. Closest is the 1.2KW - but the 1.2kw sounds...errr... how should I put this... puny, in comparison.

I don't care for the 601's. The voicing changed considerably with the newest gen McAmps (452/601).

Mike
April 2, 2014, 01:38 PM
E - were you able to compare them head to head with 1.2kw? My friend with the 2kws says they sound more like the 601's (but just so much bigger and "completely effortless") than the 1.2kws. What's your thoughts? Can you describe the sound a little more?

Lastly, the pair I'm looking at is used. Do you know if there have been any updates? New binding posts perhaps?

-E-
April 2, 2014, 02:01 PM
Not sure on updates on the 2kw; all the sets I have seen were identical as far as I could tell (sonically and visually - except for the prototype pair I heard years ago, of course).

And yes, I've heard them versus 1.2kw - hence why I say they sound more like that - they are from the same generation of design/voicing. The 601 is not. If you think the 1.2kw is an iron fist in a velvet glove, think of the 2kw of an iron size 22 foot in suede boots. The level of control those amps have on... well... anything, is astounding. They still remain one of my all-time favorite amps (2kw) regardless of price. They present in the traditional McFashion: a little top roll-off for a very pleasing, engaging, emotional presentation while still remaining articulate and defined (unlike the 601's which are top and bottom heavy and not in an eloquent way).

The original 2kw's had superb (and countless) binding posts since they expected you to tri-wire (and then some, the back of the XRT2K has 9 sets of binding posts for a tri/tri wire setup). They match the ones of the 402/1.2kw, which is the best binding posts Mc has ever had (far better than the 452 debacle).

Mike
April 2, 2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks E.

Oh boy...

Penthouse-D
April 2, 2014, 02:09 PM
The WBT binding posts were the best. I've heard these amps with the XRT2Ks also. Very nice., but in an enormous room.

Mike
April 2, 2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks Jim. Oddly, I quite like the new binding posts.

MDP
April 2, 2014, 03:51 PM
:exciting:

Mike is screwed !

Mike
April 2, 2014, 03:57 PM
:D

mep
April 2, 2014, 04:06 PM
I owned the C2300 preamp and didn't care for its sound. I also don't care for the current McIntosh 'look' although this is obviously subjective. Too many shades of blue and green lights on the front panel and then black and chrome. I think the mc2kW takes that gaudiness to an entirely new level. Big world logos lit up, HUGE front panel meter, and more of the different colors of green and blue lights set against the chrome and black background. All it needs is a hat and a gold tooth to complete the pimp look.

Mike
April 2, 2014, 04:09 PM
Ouch.

mep
April 2, 2014, 04:18 PM
Ouch.

Mike-It's just my opinion. The current McIntosh look is just too busy and way over the top for me. I don't want to look at the front panel of my gear and count at least 4 different colors/shades of lighting plus black and chrome. I find it distracting. It lacks elegance and sophistication with regards to style and taste at this level of money for me.

Mike
April 2, 2014, 04:21 PM
Mark - I understand. Some people love the Vivid Giya's. Not me. But when it comes to looks, for me, Mc is hard to beat.

mdkim
April 2, 2014, 04:25 PM
I have to agree with not liking the "look at me!" globe and MC logo laden boxes. If I enjoyed the sound enough, I'd need to hide those four boxes and just leave the two metered output boxes in sight. The globe, to me, is far too cartoonish.

Mike
April 2, 2014, 04:49 PM
There is a switch on the bottom of the +/- modules to turn off that globe light.

mdkim
April 2, 2014, 04:55 PM
There is a switch on the bottom of the +/- modules to turn off that globe light.

Ah…if they were dark they would just blend in. Well then, what's stopping you!! :D

I'm going to have to agree that you're in trouble Mike.

o0OBillO0o
April 2, 2014, 05:03 PM
http://youtu.be/X_-ATtM0_4g

Just to feed the sharks..

MDP
April 2, 2014, 06:11 PM
I have to agree with not liking the "look at me!" globe and MC logo laden boxes. If I enjoyed the sound enough, I'd need to hide those four boxes and just leave the two metered output boxes in sight. The globe, to me, is far too cartoonish.

I'm with you Michael, if those suckers sounded sublime, I'm in ! I'm looking for sound quality, not looks.

If I want to look at something beautiful, I look at my avatar.

Design Audio Video
April 2, 2014, 07:29 PM
I will show you guy's what ugly and great sound looks like shortly.

joeinid
April 2, 2014, 08:23 PM
My curiosity is piqued. Do tell. :)

I will show you guy's what ugly and great sound looks like shortly.

volks
April 2, 2014, 11:57 PM
They present in the traditional McFashion: a little top roll-off for a very pleasing, engaging, emotional presentation while still remaining articulate and defined (unlike the 601's which are top and bottom heavy and not in an eloquent way)

Interesting.......i feel the the 601's are totally opposite to me........ the 601's are much more articulate and defined with out being to top or bottom heavy........amazing how we all hear diff things in gear ......not to mention i love the new binding posts:heart:

joeinid
April 3, 2014, 12:24 AM
I have to agree with Michael here. I really love my MC601's and the few times that I heard MC1.2KW's thought they were effortless and smooth. If I could only get the MC2KW's, I'd be done in more ways than one.

Interesting.......i feel the the 601's are totally opposite to me........ the 601's are much more articulate and defined with out being to top or bottom heavy........amazing how we all hear diff things in gear ......not to mention i love the new binding posts:heart:

volks
April 15, 2014, 01:38 PM
Mike any more thoughts on the MC2KW's?

Mike
April 15, 2014, 01:45 PM
Yes, I've been talking to friends who are very familiar with them and one who owns them and they said they definitely have the old Mc signature sound. I much prefer the new Mc sound (601/452). So, they are on hold indefinitely. I also want to see what Mc has coming out at Munich.

I love my 601/2500 (with Tesla tubes) combo. So did Ian (MadFloyd). If it ain't broke....

-E-
April 15, 2014, 01:57 PM
If you like the 601/452 then don't get the 2KW. Simple as that. They are the pinnacle of what Mc used to be - the days of glory are long over.

still-one
April 15, 2014, 02:22 PM
Mike
The only times I have spent any time listening to the 2KW's is through 2K speakers. It is really difficult to form a opinion based on those sessions. For someone who has a Mac set-up they would be the pinnacle amps in my mind.

volks
April 15, 2014, 03:36 PM
Yes, I've been talking to friends who are very familiar with them and one who owns them and they said they definitely have the old Mc signature sound. I much prefer the new Mc sound (601/452). So, they are on hold indefinitely. I also want to see what Mc has coming out at Munich.

I love my 601/2500 (with Tesla tubes) combo. So did Ian (MadFloyd). If it ain't broke....

Mike maybe in the next year or so Mcintosh will update or introduce a new 1.2K or MC2KW to match the newer sound from the MC601's? .......who knows.....

Mike
April 15, 2014, 03:51 PM
Mike maybe in the next year or so Mcintosh will update or introduce a new 1.2K or MC2KW to match the newer sound from the MC601's? .......who knows.....

That's what Joe and I keep talking about. The 601's are amazing. Love the sound.

radioactive
April 15, 2014, 05:12 PM
I've heard them, with a pair of Snell A7 Illusions. The guy who had them also paired them up with two MC303's and we ran a comparison. I much preferred two MC303's to to MC2KW's. We never got close to pushing either setup to their limits, but the 2KW was less resolving IMHO. Not sure why, but it just didn't have the top-end clarity the 303's did. It did have a bit more firm grasp of the low-end, but it was really any clearer. In fact, all I could think about was how much better the 303's sounded. Crazy price difference too!

Bryan

Is there anyone out there who has actually heard these amps? How do they compare to say the 1.2kw and 601's?

Curious.

radioactive
April 15, 2014, 05:19 PM
I liked the 601's too, but for me, once I heard my Sasha's on Boulder I couldn't go back. They did have a ton of authority (very powerful yet efficient), and talk about super cool. You could put your hand on them after driving them really hard without being worried about getting cooked. Can't say that for a lot of other amps out there that are class AB. I do kind of miss those pretty blue meters sometimes though. Between them and MC303's, they are McIntosh's best products.

What are you driving with your 601's Mike? Your Alexias??

That's what Joe and I keep talking about. The 601's are amazing. Love the sound.

Mike
April 15, 2014, 05:42 PM
I liked the 601's too, but for me, once I heard my Sasha's on Boulder I couldn't go back. They did have a ton of authority (very powerful yet efficient), and talk about super cool. You could put your hand on them after driving them really hard without being worried about getting cooked. Can't say that for a lot of other amps out there that are class AB. I do kind of miss those pretty blue meters sometimes though. Between them and MC303's, they are McIntosh's best products.

What are you driving with your 601's Mike? Your Alexias??

Yes, my Alexia's. I bought the 601's after trading my Dad's 6700 integrated. I had no intention to be honest. But, oh boy, am I glad I did.

Boulder 1060 is an amp I would love to hear on the Alexia's. I bet it would control the big Alexia woofers like nobodies business.

socfan12
April 15, 2014, 07:54 PM
I heard Boulders with the Maxx 3s. Amazing control of the speaker's woofers. The top end was a little hot for my tastes, but don't think that would be a problem with the Alexias!

radioactive
April 16, 2014, 07:27 PM
Funny, if you would have asked me twenty years ago if amps over $10,000 sound different I would have answered "probably not by much".

Yes, Boulder control is very firm. So much that I forget the levels I'm listening at. I have to keep a meter with me when I get in the mood to listen loud out of concern for my aging ears!

The MC601's would make you feel the bass more (at least in my perspective when I compared them with Boulder). They were not as "discrete" in terms of their ability to separate out the different sounds at the low end of spectrum. I guess that's why the Boulders cost significantly more; what you get for that extra money is how they can reproduce the different sounds as a coherent, singular image cleanly - and yet you can easily pick out the individual instruments that make up the whole tone. The MC601's were a bit more blunt in that perspective. I still think they're one hell of a bargain. It's hard to get that much power and performance (and design) at their price point. And I can't think of a speaker they wouldn't drive without breaking a sweat. They probably pair best with a somewhat "bright" sounding speaker and silver coated cables. Just a hunch, but the new Synergy tweeter in the Alexia's might not pair so well as it seems to be less bright than the titanium tweeters in Wilson's previous designs.

The MC601's have the "McIntosh Sound", which is very laid back, easy to listen to for long times (non-fatiguing) and generally "warm". Not tube-like, but not the other extreme of solid state which some equate to sharp and overly accurate. I really don't see this changing in their future amps. If they redesign the MC2KW, it certainly would follow in taking the MC601's to the next level in power. Hopefully they'll change the form-factor a bit too. I found the MC2KW to be more of the even older style of "McIntosh Sound", which was even further down the warm scale from where the MC601's are. Oddly, the MC303 is a bit further up to the opposite side of the MC601's on that warm scale (away from the MC2KW).

I'd keep them too Mike :)

Just my two cents.

Bryan

Paul
April 17, 2014, 01:27 AM
Mike , just keep the 601's ;)

Mike
April 17, 2014, 04:05 PM
Mike , just keep the 601's ;)

They are firmly planted Paul. I still think about 2301's though.

mep
April 17, 2014, 05:32 PM
Some of you guys are like reverse audio whores -You're always looking for your next trick, except you have to pay for it. :D

Mike
April 17, 2014, 06:37 PM
Reverse? We are.

radioactive
April 17, 2014, 07:23 PM
Shame I can't get paid for this :(

Some of you guys are like reverse audio whores -You're always looking for your next trick, except you have to pay for it. :D