PDA

View Full Version : Learn something new all the time - Shure carts don't mount on Pio shells

MusicDirector
February 9, 2014, 02:10 PM
Ok, after a mishap of needle cleaner grabbing my AT95E and bending the cantilever 180 degrees (I may have not been paying close enough attention), I found myself in need of ordering a new cart. I'm trying to decide on one now, but in the meantime I figured I would mount my Shure M97xE on my Pioneer PL510A. WRONG! I found out the hard way (after trying for over 30 minutes), that you can not mount a Shure M97xE on a Pioneer headshell. It's like trying to mount a Ford transmission on a Chevy or something. So for the time being I am unable to use my vintage system for playing vinyl until I get a new cart. (I could take the after market headshell off the PL530 which I know it mounts to, but I just don't feel like it.
I'm trying to decide if I want to get another AT95E (a decent cart) or a AT95E black (about the same price, but not sure if there would be any difference) or a Ortofon 2M Red or OM5E or something else. It's only a Pioneer PL510A and while a very solid table, there is no need to be spendy on a cart for it as it will only sound as good as the gear it plays through and the speakers attached.

ohbythebay
February 9, 2014, 03:05 PM
Umm...not shure (lol) why you are having an issue ? I have a Shure on an Pioneer headshell...

MusicDirector
February 9, 2014, 04:00 PM
Umm...not shure (lol) why you are having an issue ? I have a Shure on an Pioneer headshell...

The nuts that go on the screws are too small to hold the cart. The nuts that go on the mounting screws that are original to the headshell are too small. Perhaps this is just true of the M97xE or perhaps Pioneer made a few different headshells and this is one that just doesn't work with this particular cart. They slip through the cut-outs on the cart mount. I don't have any other sizes. Like I said, I could use the other after market headshell off my PL530 which that Shure was mounted to previously, but I just don't feel like it. It's easier to just wait until I order a new cart with a similar mount to the AT.

Jack
February 9, 2014, 04:09 PM
Eric

You can buy 2.5 mm or 3mm screws in various lengths from ACE. Can buy them one at a time instead of in packs.

MusicDirector
February 9, 2014, 06:48 PM
Eric

You can buy 2.5 mm or 3mm screws in various lengths from ACE. Can buy them one at a time instead of in packs.

The screws aren't the problem even though I think they be a bit on the long side. It's the nuts that don't hold. Hmm, I wonder though if washers would not solve the issue, but that may add problems, maybe not. Working with carts and mounting is like brain surgery and rocket science as everything is so small and precision. Too much work for a temporary fix. I have my Denon in the other room I use for spinning vinyl as well. The vintage system is in the bedroom as a secondary system for when I'm in there.

Jack
February 9, 2014, 07:35 PM
Will they work if you put the nuts on the top. Are the screw heads big enough?

MusicDirector
February 9, 2014, 10:46 PM
Will they work if you put the nuts on the top. Are the screw heads big enough?

Hmm, why didn't I think of trying that?:rolleyes::) I might try that even though the screws are pretty long the heads are big enough to hold the mount. The only problem is trying to figure out how I will tighten the screws or nuts without moving the cart once adjusted. I can't take the headshell off to do that and I don't have deep hex drivers or perhaps one even small enough to fit the nut to approach from the top.

MusicDirector
February 16, 2014, 01:14 PM
Ok, tried mounting the Shure on the Pioneer headshell again reversing the screw/nuts. Doesn't work because now I find the screws are not threaded far enough to mount that way. They are either the ones that were originally on the headshell or the ones that came with the AT95E. At any rate, I looked through what I had and I don't have the right screws for it. I am not going to waste my time trying to find unattainable screws for this thing. (The Shure cart sucks anyway and was just a temporary thing). I could use the headshell off my PL530 which does mount the Shure, but I it's in a closet and a PITA to get to so I'd rather not bother. I'll get another cart for the PL510A in maybe a month or two. Not sweating it.