PDA

View Full Version : Record cleaning with carpenters glue

GaryProtein
January 5, 2014, 06:19 PM
Anybody ever clean their LPs like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z61k5UAWev8#t=437

Be patient and watch it. The results look impressive.

There are several similar youtubes showing this technique.

still-one
January 5, 2014, 09:46 PM
Interesting but a lot of time too.

Glareskin
January 6, 2014, 06:12 AM
I think it is a great idea for the records that are in really bad shape.

MX5Seeker
March 17, 2014, 10:14 PM
I have done this and it does work. A few drawbacks:

- takes a long time to dry
- only able to do one side at a time (they have to lay flat to drive evenly)
- have to be careful pealing the glue off. You can get "flakes" that are hard to remove
- some people have issues with static after removing the glue

If you have a real basket case, what do you have to lose?

Ray

RedSectorA
March 17, 2014, 10:23 PM
I have done this and it does work. A few drawbacks:

- takes a long time to dry
- only able to do one side at a time (they have to lay flat to drive evenly)
- have to be careful pealing the glue off. You can get "flakes" that are hard to remove
- some people have issues with static after removing the glue

If you have a real basket case, what do you have to lose?

Ray

I have done it on a few "It either glue or the Dumpster" thrift store records and it works, Ray explained the caveats well though. I personally would exhaust every other alternative prior as it's not the fastest nor the easiest avenue. In my case I had to use the Audio Desk to take bits of glue residue.

o0OBillO0o
March 18, 2014, 12:49 AM
What's the price of a Bottle of Glue? What's the price of a record cleaner? hmm..

GaryProtein
March 18, 2014, 07:56 AM
I don't think the price is the concern here.

It is the efficacy of the cleaning for records needing a deep cleaning.

ohbythebay
March 18, 2014, 09:37 AM
I know they say it works and I have tried it on an old album just to see (didn;t play it)
1) Its very messy
2) Its a pain to do
3) One never knows if there are micro bits of glue in the grooves that are going to GUNK your stylus

As said before by others, I would exhaust all other options and if they don't work...Buy a new album :woot:

asindc
March 18, 2014, 11:29 AM
I know they say it works and I have tried it on an old album just to see (didn;t play it)
1) Its very messy
2) Its a pain to do
3) One never knows if there are micro bits of glue in the grooves that are going to GUNK your stylus

As said before by others, I would exhaust all other options and if they don't work...Buy a new album :woot:

Of course, some albums are simply not available, so I understand wanting to do this for certain albums. If an album is dirty enough to try this, then micro bits of glue is probably a very secondary concern.

MusicDirector
March 18, 2014, 03:54 PM
In looking at the properties of the glue method, I'm of the opinion that it is not worth the trouble, but that's just me. Personally, I think a well made home brew cleaning solution would be more effective. That said, if one does try the wood glue method I highly suggest that one also has a good enzyme cleaner or home brew at the ready and uses one or the other with a quality brush such as Listener's Select or similar with the cleaning fluid of choice after the wood glue treatment before spinning the record. Why? One tiny little stuck piece of glue in the groove you can't see and it's bye bye cantilever/stylus!