PDA

View Full Version : Older ARC Equipment

MikeCh
December 4, 2013, 07:46 PM
Hi,

Wondering a couple of things of the ARC owners on AS....

Do any of you have experience with the SP-11 preamp?

How does the linestage section compare to the newer Reference series models?

I run an original SP-11 (non MKII) with various 6dj8/6922 tube sets that I have and love the way it sounds and operates. There's just something about all those knobs and switches :) In addition, the onboard phono section is superb and has 75db of gain so it remains extremely flexible for most any cartridge and loading. However, I do wonder how it compares to say a Reference 3 (or newer) + separate ARC Phono preamp?

Anybody have direct comparisons to share?

Thanks,
Mike

cmalak
December 4, 2013, 08:17 PM
Ref 3 owner here. Can't give you a comparison with the SP-11 but everything I have read suggests that when ARC switched to the 6H30 tube in the Ref 2 Mk 2 but optimized and widely lauded in the Ref 3 that ARC evolved the house sound of its preamps to a more neutral transparent sound. It still has liquidity but no midrange emphasis as with the 6922 based tube preamps but a more neutral and extended sound across the pass band. Some folks don't like current ARC tube pres and amps because they are SS-like in terms of their neutrality (but not in terms of their liquidity/smoothness or dimensionality). From what I gather, the older 6922 ARC pres had more midrange richness. But again I repeat sonic impressions I have read vs. a personal comparative experience.

MikeCh
December 5, 2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the info Cyril.

Your comments on the evolution of the ARC house sound (from the older models to newer) is not the first time I've heard it described that way.

Now I just need to hear it for myself so I might understand the definition as described.

Mike

daveyf
December 5, 2013, 12:46 PM

MikeCh
December 5, 2013, 01:52 PM
Not to derail your OP, BUT I would also like to ask...how do people also feel about their older ARC amps? I happen to LOVE my ARC d70Mk2. IMO, this amp is one of the best that WJ ever made. If one can use the 65watts/ch and doesn't mind the horrific biasing procedure ( which I have a tech do for me, as it is NOTHING that anyone with less than tech experience can handle) I know of no better mid powered tube amp ( Plus, for the money these are now fetching...IMHO a no-brainer).

No problem Dave!

Though I started the thread off with my questions regarding the SP-11 and comparison to newer model ARC preamps, I had intended the thread to be a repository for any/all older ARC components. Though I would like to possibly own newer ARC gear, my budget forces me into the realm of lightly used older ARC at this time.

Mike

veindoc
December 5, 2013, 01:57 PM
I have heard older LS 5 with good tubes was and is sublime. I think the mkII may even allow for a remote.

Nick

Mikado463
December 5, 2013, 11:05 PM
Mike, while not owning a SP-11, rather a SP-9MkII back in the day and currently an LS-27, I think Cyril's comments are pretty much spot-on. My 'ole SP-9 continues to shine in my sons system to this day, having been lightly modded (attenuation) by the 'man'…Steve Huntley of Great Northern Audio fame some ten years ago.

MikeCh
December 6, 2013, 12:06 PM
Hi Nick and Dave,

Thanks for your input regarding the LS-5 and SP-9MkII/LS-27.

Mike