PDA

View Full Version : No more buying music for me thanks to Amazon!

MusicDirector
November 29, 2013, 05:39 PM
That sound you heard is millions of customers leaving Amazon. They have decided to raise the shipping threshold to $35 without one shred of explanation. I just got off the phone with them and even the reps were not told anything. I'd love an explanation, any explanation would do as it would be better than nothing. My guess is that they are trying to get everyone to get on that Prime ripoff BS. I hate getting stuff in one or two days and I am certainly not going to pay for that. I have no problem waiting say, even two weeks for anything including help if I was having a heart attack. I just don't need anything fast even if it was free. Amazon was my go to for music and books and etc., but now it would be less expensive to pay a little more at a brick and mortar with tax (Amazon charges tax now anyway) and still end up saving over Amazon.
So, I guess I won't be buying anymore music because I sure as hell won't pay the ridiculously high prices at places like Elusive Disc, etc. and their high shipping rates on top of it. Now I'm pissed that I have lost my favorite place to shop over the last 10 years plus. First, I didn't want to be in the hobby for gear and it's only about the music for me, now that is being taken away and I have to live with MP3s? At least I have what I do have on hand....that is until someone decides that we aren't supposed to have CDs, Records or any physical medium, then I'll lose that too.

NorthStar
November 29, 2013, 05:42 PM
There is always second-hand stores, Salvation Army stores, Goodwill stores, used albums and CDs stores Eric. :)

joeinid
November 29, 2013, 05:42 PM
I have to tell you that prime, while expensive, is pretty cool. I do not hesitate to order one cd at a time because after the prime payment, it's "free" plus I hate to wait! I want it now. I guess everyone is different.

NorthStar
November 29, 2013, 05:44 PM
Besides, everyone can buy an annual Amazon's membership; it's very inexpensive and it has great benefits. :)

Petro85
November 29, 2013, 05:50 PM
I have to tell you that prime, while expensive, is pretty cool. I do not hesitate to order one cd at a time because after the prime payment, it's "free" plus I hate to wait! I want it now. I guess everyone is different.
I'm with ya !! I love prime I been a member for 3 years and it's worth it every year.
I needed an a/c and for $8 extra a 70lb a/c unit was at my door the next day!!! Can't beat that

joeinid
November 29, 2013, 05:57 PM
I'm with ya !! I love prime I been a member for 3 years and it's worth it every year.
I needed an a/c and for $8 extra a 70lb a/c unit was at my door the next day!!! Can't beat that

Now that was pretty cool! :)

socfan12
November 29, 2013, 06:49 PM

A member since it started, love it. I love the 'instant' gratification from one or two day delivery.

Now that was pretty cool! :)
Pun intended!:P

joeinid
November 29, 2013, 06:51 PM
A member since it started, love it. I love the 'instant' gratification from one or two day delivery.

Pun intended!:P

+1 on both points :rolleyes:

NorthStar
November 29, 2013, 06:56 PM
Eric, are you looking for a new hobby? ...Snowmobiling is fun. :)

Mikado463
November 29, 2013, 07:08 PM
I have no problem waiting say, even two weeks for anything including help if I was having a heart attack.

Brilliant......just brilliant !

I sure as hell won't pay the ridiculously high prices at places like Elusive Disc, etc. and their high shipping rates on top of it.

I love Elusive Disc, as for their 'high shipping' rates........oh that's right you don't like 'free' ......LOL !!

Seriously 'MD', have you been having one to many nips this afternoon ?

Hey, I resemble that remark.....I even started a thread on sledding......but wait they may be 'too fast' for 'MD' ! .........:snicker:

MusicDirector
November 29, 2013, 07:15 PM
There is always second-hand stores, Salvation Army stores, Goodwill stores, used albums and CDs stores Eric. :)

Not where I live. Plus, they would not have what I look for anyway if there were any.

MusicDirector
November 29, 2013, 07:23 PM
Besides, everyone can buy an annual Amazon's membership; it's very inexpensive and it has great benefits. :)

Prime is not worth anything to me. All it does is give you 2 day shipping. I don't need anything that fast and don't want it that fast. All the other stuff on that Prime thing is useless to me. I don't have a Kindle, I don't watch movies on my Nexus, I don't need MP3s, etc. I just personally benefit from it in any way. I think Amazon should have an option if my suspicions as to reason are correct (I don't know that they are yet). They should offer an option of a $25 shipping threshold for those of us who don't mind the wait or we can choose the $35 threshold for 2-day shipping. That would be much more fair because I guarantee that most folks (other than myself), would choose the 2-day option. I usually order only a couple of CDs at a time so this new level is a killer for me. I don't like being forced into anything.

MusicDirector
November 29, 2013, 07:26 PM

No, but perhaps I should, trouble is the only other thing that interests me is reading and study and I can't live without music. Snowmobiling looks fun, but I've never even been in snow.:)

MusicDirector
November 29, 2013, 07:33 PM
Brilliant......just brilliant !

I love Elusive Disc, as for their 'high shipping' rates........oh that's right you don't like 'free' ......LOL !!

Seriously 'MD', have you been having one to many nips this afternoon ?

Hey, I resemble that remark.....I even started a thread on sledding......but wait they may be 'too fast' for 'MD' ! .........:snicker:

No, I haven't been nipping, LOL! I'm just emphasizing that I personally don't need anything instantly or in short order. I'm hard-wired to wait, that's just me. As for places like Elusive Disc, I just can't justify $40 for a CD that can be had for $12 at places like Amazon. Again, that's me. I'd have no problem paying $6 or $8 or something for shipping without the threshold if it came to that. (Things like heavy or large items would be higher of course, that's just the way it is).

NorthStar
November 29, 2013, 07:40 PM
Not where I live. Plus, they would not have what I look for anyway if there were any.

Eric, where exactly do you live, between the speakers? ;)

ohbythebay
November 29, 2013, 07:41 PM
Prime might seem like you don't need it but you have to think of the greater mass

WE LIKE free two day shipping
WE like prime movies and TV
WE like buying via prime so we get instant amazon support (like exchanges, etc)
We like Amazon prices

Bottom line, call it an insurance policy, a feature, whatever...for everyone else except you..its a good deal...And technically, its a good deal for you too because of what you save on shipping that would easily get eaten up quickly..

Its called choice ! :rolleyes:

NorthStar
November 29, 2013, 07:42 PM
Prime is not worth anything to me. All it does is give you 2 day shipping. I don't need anything that fast and don't want it that fast. All the other stuff on that Prime thing is useless to me. I don't have a Kindle, I don't watch movies on my Nexus, I don't need MP3s, etc. I just personally benefit from it in any way. I think Amazon should have an option if my suspicions as to reason are correct (I don't know that they are yet). They should offer an option of a $25 shipping threshold for those of us who don't mind the wait or we can choose the $35 threshold for 2-day shipping. That would be much more fair because I guarantee that most folks (other than myself), would choose the 2-day option. I usually order only a couple of CDs at a time so this new level is a killer for me. I don't like being forced into anything.

Is there a local library near where you live?

NorthStar
November 29, 2013, 07:44 PM
No, but perhaps I should, trouble is the only other thing that interests me is reading and study and I can't live without music. Snowmobiling looks fun, but I've never even been in snow.:)

Do you have a hammock? ...Seems like you live near the tropical regions. ...With a good book. :)

Matt715
November 29, 2013, 10:10 PM
Amazon has lost some Christmas business from me too. I was waiting for enough things to hit my $35 threshold and just ended up buying the stuff from a B&M store as they went on sale.

MusicDirector
November 30, 2013, 12:37 AM
Prime might seem like you don't need it but you have to think of the greater mass

WE LIKE free two day shipping
WE like prime movies and TV
WE like buying via prime so we get instant amazon support (like exchanges, etc)
We like Amazon prices

Bottom line, call it an insurance policy, a feature, whatever...for everyone else except you..its a good deal...And technically, its a good deal for you too because of what you save on shipping that would easily get eaten up quickly..

Its called choice ! :rolleyes:

So because the greater mass likes something or uses something that means I have to as well? That just doesn't sound right to me.
I don't need 2 day shipping.
I don't watch much TV and can count the number of movies I've seen on one hand.
I've had to get support for products from Amazon a couple of times and they were nothing short of stellar in that service and I don't have Prime.
Amazon prices are not always the lowest or best deal in town, although often times they are.
I also just realized that I purchase from the Amazon used section if it is significantly less.

Choice? Yes, and I choose to pay shipping. My shipping cost for the year at Amazon is far less than $80, so Prime is a waste for me. It's like having a warehouse club membership for $50 per year and spending $20 per year there.

MusicDirector
November 30, 2013, 12:39 AM
Is there a local library near where you live?

Ah yes, I keep forgetting that I have a HUGE library near me! I need to get my ass in there!