PDA

View Full Version : CJ-ARC or something else

Mechnutt
November 26, 2013, 02:19 PM
I recently bought a Pass X1 preamp to go with my Pass X250 amp. It replaces my Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid tube preamp which Ihave not sold yet as I am contemplating keeping. While the X1 sounds better in most but not all respects the difference is not that great as I was expecting more. I certainly miss some of the tube sound. The X1 has great transarency but the midrange is a little too airy and transparent. There is not as much texture and fullness to the midrange. Before I bought the X1 I was considering a BAT, CJ Premier 17LS or an ARC LS25 MKII. I would appreciate any thoughts, comments and recommendations on these preamps. I tend to like a sound that is just slightly warmer but not too warm. My budget for a used preamp is $2500. My speakers are Magnepan 1.6's, my source is a Van Alstine Ultra II hybrid tube DAC. My taste in music is eclectic. These days I listen to Vocal Jazz, acoustic, Piano, Blue's, folk and some classical, but I still pull out RR and an occasional country CD.

Thanks,

Larry, freezing in Minnesota!

Mikado463
November 26, 2013, 04:02 PM
Hey Larry, with respect to your choices the CJ will definitely give you and ounce or two more of warm /euphoric tube magic over the more neutral ARC (which I tend to prefer FWIW). Given your budget I would also consider the recently discontinued ARC LS-26 or as an 'alternative' to the CJ sound you may want to consider Cary Audio also.

joeinid
November 26, 2013, 04:27 PM
My vote goes to CJ also. I always come back to and now stay with CJ.

sharkmouth
November 26, 2013, 05:32 PM
Larry, there is also another way to go about this. I have a jonesing for the Ayon gear, but that will be another time for me, for you though, you could listen to an Ayon CD-5s, this has the ability to be a dac/cd/preamp. This has the ability to let you come out even or slightly ahead in money as they come up on the market at frequent intervals. Just another angle & food for thought.

LL21
November 26, 2013, 06:15 PM
Larry, I admit to having a CJ in my systems since 2000 without stop. I have owned 4 pieces from CJ...PV14L, MV60 amp and the ACT 2 and now GAT. That said, I seriously considered and auditioned ARC Ref 3, 5 and 5SE, in addition to considering several others (Shindo, Wavac, Zanden). I think the CJ at your budget of $2500 is an excellent way to go. In fact, on Audiogon, there is an ET3 SE, 17LS Series 2 at $3K (before any price haggling)...and a 17LS at $2000. Good luck!

Mechnutt
November 26, 2013, 06:33 PM
Larry, I admit to having a CJ in my systems since 2000 without stop. I have owned 4 pieces from CJ...PV14L, MV60 amp and the ACT 2 and now GAT. That said, I seriously considered and auditioned ARC Ref 3, 5 and 5SE, in addition to considering several others (Shindo, Wavac, Zanden). I think the CJ at your budget of $2500 is an excellent way to go. In fact, on Audiogon, there is an ET3 SE, 17LS Series 2 at $3K (before any price haggling)...and a 17LS at $2000. Good luck!

I saw those preamps along with a BAT. I will need to sell the X1 before i can buy another preamp. I still have to sell the Van Alstine. The X1 should go quickly and I should be able to get the $2K that I dropped on it back.

Petro85
November 26, 2013, 08:34 PM
You mentioned BAT the vk5i that is for sale on agon is a great preamp. I ran one for awhile.also in that pricerange used check out Cary slp98 and manley jumbo shrimp.

adelphi
November 27, 2013, 12:01 AM
Hi Larry,

I agreed with Dave's recommendation for ARC LS26 preamp.
I use ARC LS27 in my current setup. IMO LS27 has good midrange texture, timbre and liquidity.
I think I'm gonna use LS27 at least for the next 10 years. I already found great preamp that suit my taste.
I believe LS 26 has similar character to LS27 and a used LS26 will meet your budget.
In my country, a used LS26 is around USD2500.
In the past I tried various tube preamps with totally different characters, including CJ PV14L which I think it's too warm for my taste.

Mechnutt
November 27, 2013, 12:11 AM
You mentioned BAT the vk5i that is for sale on agon is a great preamp. I ran one for awhile.also in that pricerange used check out Cary slp98 and manley jumbo shrimp.

My only issue with the BAT is that my source is not balanced and I would have to get RCA to XLR cables. Some of the newer BAT's have both XLR and single ended connectors. I may just sell the X1 and use my Van Alstine until something pops up. Eventually I will upgrade to a balanced DAC or a balanced reference Marantz SACD player.

Petro85
November 27, 2013, 12:24 AM
My only issue with the BAT is that my source is not balanced and I would have to get RCA to XLR cables. Some of the newer BAT's have both XLR and single ended connectors. I may just sell the X1 and use my Van Alstine until something pops up. Eventually I will upgrade to a balanced DAC or a balanced reference Marantz SACD player.
Yes the vk3i I had did both RCA and xlr and had a good phonostage in it.
I see those for sale for under $1000, I loved that pre I may get another one someday just to have one.
BAT amps being only balanced is what crossed em off my list when I was amp shopping. Love my pre too much to give it up.

Jack in Wilmington
November 27, 2013, 11:43 AM

What about something balanced Steve. Is the Cary SLP-03 a good choice?

Mike
November 27, 2013, 11:51 AM

The SLP-05 is a better choice. One of my favorite preamps of all time.

Petro85
November 27, 2013, 12:24 PM
The SLP-05 is a better choice. One of my favorite preamps of all time.

I heard the slp03 once but the system I heard it in I didn't think was so good, so I couldnt tell . but I agree with Mike the slp05 is more $$ but it's an awesome preamp! When I was in the used market for a pre , only 3 I looked at in the $2k-$4k pricerange were the slp 05, the bat vk32se and the hovland. I only bought the hovland because of the awesome phonostage in it. Otherwise I would probably own the Cary 05.
Cary makes great stuff, I don't think you can go wrong with any of their pres.
Of course my favorite all time preamp is the hovland, that's why I bought one.
The slp05, hovland and 32se are all a bit over your budget. Unless you stretch it. Lol
There are a ton of good used pres out there I only know about the tube pres in that pricerange because I researched em for a year before I finally bought one.

Mikado463
November 27, 2013, 03:46 PM

Jack, all BAT products are of balanced topology……. BAT = Balanced Audio Technology. Good stuff, well regarded and made in your backyard ! … Wilmington, De I believe.