PDA

View Full Version : 501's vs MA2275

KingRT10
November 24, 2013, 11:13 AM
Using only say 50 watts, why does my 501's (Amps) totally blow my
MA2275 away in the low end department?

It's not even close to where you have to switch A/B.
It's a big enough difference, that you would swear that you had upgraded the speakers. Not the amps.

Should not 50 watts = 50 watts?

It's not as if the MA2275 was an inexpensive product either.

Is it typical for all tube amps to have a weak bottom end, compared to SS?

Mike
November 24, 2013, 11:16 AM
Tubes can't compete with big SS for bass control. Plus, you have more headroom with the 501's. Now for some real fun, try a pair of the new 601's (new energy saver model sounds best apparently).

joeinid
November 24, 2013, 11:25 AM
Tubes can't compete with big SS for bass control. Plus, you have more headroom with the 501's. Now for some real fun, try a pair of the new 601's (new energy saver model sounds best apparently).

+1

It's the nature of the beast. Bass control with tubes can approach SS but never reach it, IMO. What you lose in bass grip you may get back in spades with glorious mids and highs.

Hiker
November 24, 2013, 11:49 AM
+1

It's the nature of the beast. Bass control with tubes can approach SS but never reach it, IMO. What you lose in bass grip you may get back in spades with glorious mids and highs.

Joe, why exactly can't the MA2275 compete in the bass region within it's rated power band?

joeinid
November 24, 2013, 11:58 AM
Joe, why exactly can't the MA2275 compete in the bass region within it's rated power band?

I an not saying that the MA2275 specifically can't do it. I am not sure the technical reasons why but all the tube amps that I have heard do not have the bass impact of solid state. I think it's the nature of the beast. Transistors just seem to have more solid well defined bass but getting SS to mimic tubes in the mids and highs is the holy grail for manufacturers.

Hiker
November 24, 2013, 12:53 PM
I an not saying that the MA2275 specifically can't do it. I am not sure the technical reasons why but all the tube amps that I have heard do not have the bass impact of solid state. I think it's the nature of the beast. Transistors just seem to have more solid well defined bass but getting SS to mimic tubes in the mids and highs is the holy grail for manufacturers.

I have two McIntosh amps, the MA6600 integrated solid state with 200 watts and the MC275 VI tube with 75 watts. My normal average listening range is between 2 and 20 watts. I can't detect any under-performance characteristics with the MC275 VI vs. the MA6600.

joeinid
November 24, 2013, 03:23 PM
Those are both great units. I am thinking about the MC275VI for myself. I've always felt solid state was firmer and tubes a touch softer. Just my findings.

Which do you prefer overall, the MC275VI or the MA6600 and why?

Hiker
November 24, 2013, 04:12 PM
Those are both great units. I am thinking about the MC275VI for myself. I've always felt solid state was firmer and tubes a touch softer. Just my findings.

Which do you prefer overall, the MC275VI or the MA6600 and why?

I use the MC275VI to power Klipsch LaScala II and the MA6600 to power PMC PB1i. Both speakers sound superb. If I were to switch the amps the sound would remained unchanged. (Life is too short without a McIntosh tube/Klipsch horn system.)

joeinid
November 24, 2013, 04:24 PM
I use the MC275VI to power Klipsch LaScala II and the MA6600 to power PMC PB1i. Both speakers sound superb. If I were to switch the amps the sound would remained unchanged. (Life is too short without a McIntosh tube/Klipsch horn system.)

I knew there was something I liked about you :)

I was thinking about the MC275VI for my Cornwall III's. I totally agree about the Klipsch/McIntosh synergy and I have to tell you as time goes on, I respect McIntosh more and more.

Hiker
November 24, 2013, 05:44 PM
I knew there was something I liked about you :)

I was thinking about the MC275VI for my Cornwall III's. I totally agree about the Klipsch/McIntosh synergy and I have to tell you as time goes on, I respect McIntosh more and more.

Joe, being from the baby-boom generation, McIntosh and Klipsch are iconic American brands with a rich and rewarding history. I don't like to get bogged down in forum minutiae about which piece of audio gear today sounds the best, etc. All I know is when I sit down to listen to the McIntosh and Klipsch system I am seeing and hearing audio originality which can't be duplicated.

joeinid
November 24, 2013, 05:56 PM
I agree with you. I've come to realize that there is no "best" piece. If I can experience an emotional connection to the music, that's enough for me. I've sold more gear that some claimed to be the best only to return to gear that allows the music to touch me. It's all good. Some more enjoyable.

Jerry Seh
November 25, 2013, 12:34 PM
It all depend on the "make" of the speaker.

Usually, horns coupled very well with tubes. The teeny weeny SET's, the better. Sweet to die-for mids and highs and no worries at all for the bass and control due to the very high efficiency of horns (100db/w or higher). In fact, personal experience using SS of yore (today SS had improved tremendously to sound and behave like tubes) with horns yielded horrendous results that makes one want to leave the room after 10 minutes at most. A pair of Klipshorns will definitely work well with McIntosh's tubes (MC275) or even SS, but I would personally go for the C22+MC275 combo to match.

Its Also not strange to know that dynamic speakers matches well with SS. Try playing Alexia with Dan A's Momentum's Pre/Power and other tube combo, and one will surely vote for the SS.

Improvements on horns and SS technology today resulted in pseudo/hybrid horns where some does matches very well with SS. A case in point are the Avantgardes where no hint of SS "harshness" even though the in-house amps are pure SS.

So, in the end, finding that "right combo" will bring one's audio nirvana. Be patient and hear/listen before making parting with the hard earned cash. Advises are good only as a guide. In the end, but and match the combo YOU desire and like/loved, not because someone had a great opinion about it. Remember, one man's meat is another man's poison.

Well, I was "poisoned many times" and managed to come out still alive (but half broke though). I guess I am at the end of my hifi journey ... well, at least, I will be happy for 5 years? I hope.

Cheers!