PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have monster receivers?

just dave
November 21, 2013, 09:40 AM
I was wonderin if any of you guys have any monsters in your gear collection.I've got
Pio. sx-1280
Hitachi sr-2004
Onkyo tx-8500mkII
Optonica sa-5605
Sansui g-9000
Ken. kr-9050
Audio Reflex AGS-152
The last one is pretty rare sold only in Canada but who made it,I don't know.

Mike
November 21, 2013, 10:32 AM
I had the Denon 5800. It was indeed a beast. Back in the 80's, I had a pioneer receiver.... Forget the model number though. I remember it had meters. Love meters!

just dave
November 21, 2013, 01:40 PM
Yep meters are cool!

NorthStar
November 21, 2013, 04:32 PM
I had the Denon 5800. It was indeed a beast. Back in the 80's, I had a pioneer receiver.... Forget the model number though. I remember it had meters. Love meters!

It wasn't the AVR-5805 Mike? ...Almost a foot high, and weighting 97 pounds.

* I had some flagship receivers, and still have few, but nothing compared to those magnificent vintage receivers of the 60s and 70s.
Nowadays AV receivers have only three buttons (power, volume, and selector) that's it!

I like old vintage Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood, Luxman, Sansui, Telefunken stereo receivers, with their beautiful front cockpit design with all the meters and multitude of shiny silver buttons, plus that magic analog tuner. :cool:
- At night they look like all the instrumentation needed right in front of you in helping you to land that big turbo jet on that airport runaway lane.
...Ground control ... - David Bowie

Mike
November 21, 2013, 04:33 PM
Yes. That's right. As time passes, this old brain has a hard time keeping all the model numbers straight.

ohbythebay
November 21, 2013, 04:38 PM
Like these bad boys...LOVE EM

http://bilder.hifi-forum.de/medium/602120/marantz-2130_210006.jpg

http://www.classicaudio.com/forsale/mz/4400a.jpg

http://www.mtk-physio.de/Marantz/Marantz-Receiver/Marantz_vintage_series_22xx_re/Marantz_2285/a_Marantz_2285_1.jpg

NorthStar
November 21, 2013, 04:38 PM
That's ok Mike you're still young yet, just wait till your 99. :D

ohbythebay
November 21, 2013, 04:39 PM
I was wonderin if any of you guys have any monsters in your gear collection.I've got
Pio. sx-1280
Hitachi sr-2004
Onkyo tx-8500mkII
Optonica sa-5605
Sansui g-9000
Ken. kr-9050
Audio Reflex AGS-152

Dave !!! Didn't know you were here !!! (Arcorob)

NorthStar
November 21, 2013, 04:41 PM
And Art too is here, and Evange, plus few more.

just dave
November 21, 2013, 07:44 PM
It wasn't the AVR-5805 Mike? ...Almost a foot high, and weighting 97 pounds.

* I had some flagship receivers, and still have few, but nothing compared to those magnificent vintage receivers of the 60s and 70s.
Nowadays AV receivers have only three buttons (power, volume, and selector) that's it!

I like old vintage Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood, Luxman, Sansui, Telefunken stereo receivers, with their beautiful front cockpit design with all the meters and multitude of shiny silver buttons, plus that magic analog tuner. :cool:
- At night they look like all the instrumentation needed right in front of you in helping you to land that big turbo jet on that airport runaway lane.
...Ground control ... - David Bowie

I hear ya man.I'm very impressed with the sound quality as well,these things still sound great.A testament to their build quality and engineering.

just dave
November 21, 2013, 07:45 PM
Dave !!! Didn't know you were here !!! (Arcorob)

Hey man glad your here.:hi:

iamhifi
November 21, 2013, 08:44 PM
I love my Denon 5800 is a monster and use them with an MK system, the 150 LCR, 250S for souround, and a pair of MX350 Subs, Oppo 83ES and Shunyata Hydra 8 MKII and I very happy with the sound I get for movies.

NorthStar
November 21, 2013, 09:09 PM
I hear ya man.I'm very impressed with the sound quality as well,these things still sound great.A testament to their build quality and engineering.

The analog tuner section in them was much more serious back then than now. Nowadays tuners in receivers are mainly a joke (Yamaha is more serious still).
And their overall sound quality was warmer too, tube alike. ...The overall stereo receiver's sound.

just dave
November 22, 2013, 08:52 AM
The analog tuner section in them was much more serious back then than now. Nowadays tuners in receivers are mainly a joke (Yamaha is more serious still).
And their overall sound quality was warmer too, tube alike. ...The overall stereo receiver's sound.

Yeah FM was a much bigger deal back then.Now there's nothing but crap on the radio,at least when it comes to rock.

MusicDirector
November 22, 2013, 07:59 PM
I had a Pioneer SX-1080, but sold it a couple of years ago. My only monster now is a Yamaha CR2020. My other non-monsters are Marantz 2238b, Marantz 2250 and my favorite Sansui 8080db which sounds better than any of my other receivers including my 4 year old Onkyo. They don't build them like this anymore, quality products and going strong after 30+ years. Today's highest end most expensive component goes a much shorter distance I would venture to bet.

Mechnutt
November 22, 2013, 10:12 PM
Take a look at this beautiful Pioneer receiver that I posted on another forum a while back-

Pioneer SX 5590 Stereo Recever RARE Black SX 1250 Awesome | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-SX-5590-Stereo-Recever-Rare-Black-SX-1250-AWESOME-/160990392691?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item257bc67173&afsrc=1&nma=true&si=WGzRigLg%252FN3ruqHCTGAXrWE34qU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557)

I loved the sound of the receivers in the 1970's. I started in audio with a 15wpc Pioneer receiver and Altec Lansing Model 3's I believe. The sound was warm, lush and tube like. I keep thinking that I might buy an old Pioneer, Sansui or Marantz receiver. I still have my Technics SU7600 integrated amp from the mid 70's but it sounded nothing like the old Marantz and Pioneer gear.

just dave
November 23, 2013, 07:44 AM
Take a look at this beautiful Pioneer receiver that I posted on another forum a while back-

Pioneer SX 5590 Stereo Recever RARE Black SX 1250 Awesome | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-SX-5590-Stereo-Recever-Rare-Black-SX-1250-AWESOME-/160990392691?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item257bc67173&afsrc=1&nma=true&si=WGzRigLg%252FN3ruqHCTGAXrWE34qU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557)

I loved the sound of the receivers in the 1970's. I started in audio with a 15wpc Pioneer receiver and Altec Lansing Model 3's I believe. The sound was warm, lush and tube like. I keep thinking that I might buy an old Pioneer, Sansui or Marantz receiver. I still have my Technics SU7600 integrated amp from the mid 70's but it sounded nothing like the old Marantz and Pioneer gear.

Beautiful receiver for sure! You should go and get yourself one, if nothing else they're nice to look at.I'd be interested if you did an ab test with the receiver and your newer gear.

just dave
December 12, 2013, 08:37 AM
Not a lot of action on this forum........hello anybody out there.:sigh:

Cory Cooper
December 12, 2013, 12:44 PM
Like Mike, I had a Denon AVR-5800. I had mine upgraded with the KAVR-5800 digital board. Actually, I still have mine packed away in the box.

A friend of mine had a Pioneer SX-1280 back in the day. I remember being at Service Merchandise and almost buying an SX-1980 demo unit on a clearance table. They didn't have the box or the owner's manual, so I passed. :( I still regret that to this day.

C

just dave
December 12, 2013, 09:18 PM
Like Mike, I had a Denon AVR-5800. I had mine upgraded with the KAVR-5800 digital board. Actually, I still have mine packed away in the box.

A friend of mine had a Pioneer SX-1280 back in the day. I remember being at Service Merchandise and almost buying an SX-1980 demo unit on a clearance table. They didn't have the box or the owner's manual, so I passed. :( I still regret that to this day.

C

I've got a 1280 now but I bought my first receiver from those guys,a SX-680 but I never saw a 1980 there.Do you remember how much they were asking?

Matt715
December 12, 2013, 09:47 PM
While not a true monster, I have a SX-780 that I plan to bring back to its former glory one day.

Cory Cooper
December 12, 2013, 09:54 PM
It was a SM in Columbus, OH. I bet a lot of people don't even remember them. It's been so long ago...like 30+ years, right? If I had to guess, I would think maybe between $800-900 or so. List was like $1295 I think. I just don't remember for sure. ;)

I bet that SX-1280 still sounds amazing...

C

just dave
December 13, 2013, 09:58 AM
It was a SM in Columbus, OH. I bet a lot of people don't even remember them. It's been so long ago...like 30+ years, right? If I had to guess, I would think maybe between $800-900 or so. List was like $1295 I think. I just don't remember for sure. ;)

I bet that SX-1280 still sounds amazing...

C

Yep,I love it.It's a beautiful receiver as well.

rrwmd
February 16, 2014, 07:32 PM
Pioneer SX-1250:crackedout:
Completely refurbed by Classic Audio
Got it hooked up to some HPM-100's in my basement billiards/casual TV/chillin' area.
Kinda cheesy but fun...

http://audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5435&d=1393743068

mjalazard
March 2, 2014, 01:55 AM
I am lucky enough to own a Yamaha CR3020 and a Sansui 9090db.
Both were lovingly restored by ReadyTech in Pennsylvania

joeinid
March 2, 2014, 02:47 AM
Welcome to the forum mjalazard! Thank you for joining.

Mechnutt
March 2, 2014, 02:33 PM
I love the vintage receivers. I still remember my fist piece of gear. It was a 1970's 15wpc Pioneer receiver, built like a tank and it had this nice warm lush sound. I paired it with some Altec Lansing model 3's.

Take a look at this beautifully restored Pioneer that I considered buying-

Pioneer SX 5590 Stereo Recever RARE Black SX 1250 Awesome | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-SX-5590-Stereo-Recever-Rare-Black-SX-1250-AWESOME-/160990392691?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item257bc67173&afsrc=1&nma=true&si=xxEQPuwQ5koDfYVzR5qfjzlD0%252Bw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557)

scroll down the page to see the pic's and history. They don't mak'em like this any more.

mjalazard
March 2, 2014, 02:58 PM
I am lucky enough to own a Yamaha CR3020 and a Sansui 9090db.
Both were lovingly restored by ReadyTech in Pennsylvania

GaryProtein
March 2, 2014, 10:48 PM
In the mid 1970's my brother bought a Marantz 2325 receiver--125wpc.

One of the last really good Marantz receivers.

Bodhi
March 3, 2014, 02:53 PM
Hi Gary, great to see you on the forum! http://www.audioaficionado.org/images/smilies/tiphat.gif

MusicDirector
March 4, 2014, 08:31 PM
I love the vintage receivers. I still remember my fist piece of gear. It was a 1970's 15wpc Pioneer receiver, built like a tank and it had this nice warm lush sound. . They don't mak'em like this any more.

No, they certainly do not make them like the early 70s anymore! I love my Sansui 8080db more than any other modern receiver I've had, have or heard to date. The receivers back then were also built like tanks and had weight to them. The sound was absolutely pleasant to the ears. (My Sansui melts me). Back then the good receivers not only had good tuner sections (these days it doesn't matter with nothing but stupid crap on the dial), but they were built around the phono stages. Some even had switches for MM and MC carts! These days even if the modern receiver has a phono stage, one needs a separate phono stage because the built-in stages are usually crap at best. (Don't need no stinking separate phono stages with the vintage receivers though)!
Ok waxing session over.:)

just dave
March 21, 2014, 06:21 PM
Yep I love the phono section on the vintage receivers too.

NorthStar
March 21, 2014, 06:44 PM
Which receivers have the best phono section? ...Vintage ones, and newer AV receiver ones.

And, even with a receiver's very good phono stage, would it be still better to get a separate one? ...Say a good inexpensive one.

just dave
March 22, 2014, 09:48 AM
MY Onkyo 8500mkII has a great phono stage,my Onkyo HT receiver doesn't.Maybe with vinyl becoming more and more popular they'll look to improve the phono section in modern receivers.I've never heard a separate phono stage so I can't comment on those.

NorthStar
March 22, 2014, 01:30 PM
Do you think that tomorrow's receivers will put back the emphasis where it counts the most, in the analogue stage?

You're right about turntables and LPs; they are in a comeback rise.

Digital music servers; should they also include a good phono stage? ...Some of them, you know, to be more complete.
Probably not as it is a very bad idea to have digital and analog components inside a same unit.
Best is to build one full separate analogue rig all on its own, and another separate digital home theater video/sound system.
If you mix them both then you are not truly a serious audiophile.

Vintage, monsters receivers, they belong in their own separate entity; one based strictly on yesterday analogue, I think.

just dave
March 22, 2014, 06:59 PM
Do you think that tomorrow's receivers will put back the emphasis where it counts the most, in the analogue stage?

You're right about turntables and LPs; they are in a comeback rise.

Digital music servers; should they also include a good phono stage? ...Some of them, you know, to be more complete.
Probably not as it is a very bad idea to have digital and analog components inside a same unit.
Best is to build one full separate analogue rig all on its own, and another separate digital home theater video/sound system.
If you mix them both then you are not truly a serious audiophile.

Vintage, monsters receivers, they belong in their own separate entity; one based strictly on yesterday analogue, I think.

That would be great to see a little more attention paid to good ole analogue.I enjoy seeing abx tests done with vintage gear not just receivers.I like seeing vintage gear kick some ass. It's a testament to their build quality that they can still give all but the most expensive modern gear a run for their money.Quality audio seemed to be a big deal back in the 70's.All my friends had really nice gear and we'd get together,have a few beers and listen to albums lit by only the light of our stereo's......ahhh good times.:cryforjoy:

NorthStar
March 22, 2014, 11:34 PM
Today they (we) still do, but with different drugs. ;-)

MusicDirector
March 24, 2014, 05:49 PM
Which receivers have the best phono section? ...Vintage ones, and newer AV receiver ones.

And, even with a receiver's very good phono stage, would it be still better to get a separate one? ...Say a good inexpensive one.

Almost any quality vintage receiver will have a good phono stage, hands down. Newer AV recievers?...none of them have good phono stages in my book and all require a separate phono stage.

An inexpensive separate phono stage on a good vintage receiver will not usually yield better results or sound much different at all. Back then, the receivers were built around the phono stage because that was the main medium of the day. also the receivers back then were much simpler and higher quality than today's AVRs. There were no IC chips, digital trickery or too much junk in the trunk, it was mainly straight power to the speakers, period. That's why many vintage receivers sound so good. My Sansui 8080db blows away every other receiver sound quality-wise I have new or old and rivals many new AVRs on the market except the ones high up the food chain from companies who also offer reference product.

NorthStar
March 24, 2014, 06:48 PM
Onkyo TXSR 705 and TXSR 805 AV receivers. - Free Online Library (http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Onkyo+TXSR+705+and+TXSR+805+AV+receivers.-a0178450770)

* Check the phono section of the 805. ...Plus everything else (2007 era).
..It's not from 1977 but still weighs (805) 51 pounds nonetheless.

MusicDirector
March 24, 2014, 11:22 PM
Onkyo TXSR 705 and TXSR 805 AV receivers. - Free Online Library (http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Onkyo+TXSR+705+and+TXSR+805+AV+receivers.-a0178450770)

* Check the phono section of the 805. ...Plus everything else (2007 era).
..It's not from 1977 but still weighs (805) 51 pounds nonetheless.

I have the 705 and the phono stage is horrid, same as the 805. The problem with modern AVRs is that the phono stage is an after-thought and that's it. It's just an attempt to justify charging an extra $100, it doesn't actually function worth a darn.

rlock
April 13, 2014, 12:21 PM
Sansui G901 (Mint, fully recapped and serviced)
Sansui G7700 (3)
Sansui G5700
Sansui G7500

joeinid
April 13, 2014, 01:45 PM
Welcome rlock! Thank you for joining.

Nice gear. :)

just dave
June 21, 2014, 09:19 AM
Sansui G901 (Mint, fully recapped and serviced)
Sansui G7700 (3)
Sansui G5700
Sansui G7500

Nice collection.How does that 901 sound now with the recap,notice a difference?

rlock
June 21, 2014, 11:53 AM
Nice collection.How does that 901 sound now with the recap,notice a difference?

Hi Dave,
I opened up the unit and saw the electrolytic caps were swelling on the power protection board. I did the recap in phases over a couple of months, so it was a gradual improvement. While at it, I cleaned pots and switches and replaced the relays. It was definitely worth it. It seems recapping the drivers and the tone section made the most difference. I want to take it to a professional shop to see if it still meets factory specs, but it sounds so good I do not want to part with it for any length of time. I must say these receivers are built like tanks and amazing quality (steel knobs with set screws, metal face, and meters with movements, steel chassis and very little plastic, cable trays to route wire to the rear of the unit).

Rick

just dave
June 21, 2014, 01:38 PM
Hi Dave,
I opened up the unit and saw the electrolytic caps were swelling on the power protection board. I did the recap in phases over a couple of months, so it was a gradual improvement. While at it, I cleaned pots and switches and replaced the relays. It was definitely worth it. It seems recapping the drivers and the tone section made the most difference. I want to take it to a professional shop to see if it still meets factory specs, but it sounds so good I do not want to part with it for any length of time. I must say these receivers are built like tanks and amazing quality (steel knobs with set screws, metal face, and meters with movements, steel chassis and very little plastic, cable trays to route wire to the rear of the unit).

Rick

Yep,I've got the G-9000. The build quality of these vintage units is excellent.The same goes for my other receivers as well.

Feanor
June 21, 2014, 02:06 PM
I lived through the monster receiver era but never owned one. For one thing the real monsters were pricey for me back then -- would be today too if new prices were adjusted for inflation. More importantly, I was already into separates at the time. Nevertheless I love the monster receivers and "silver era" equipment in general for the visual aesthetic point of view.

What characteristics epitomize the Silver Era? I thing the following ...

Obviously, silver faces -- black was rare in the '70s except for some Sansui
Analog tuning dials and meters instead of neon or (later) LED or LCD
Rotary knobs e.g. for selectors instead of push buttons
Toggle switches instead of in/out buttons
Largish size -- analog dials and knobs and switches took up a lot of space. Large sized reach giganticism by the end of the '70s
Internally, discrete components vs. chips or LSIs, though the latter became increasingly common thru the era.

These characteristic applied to the monster receivers but also other components such as these Pioneer integrated amp and tuner.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2953&d=1329583546
http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/TX-9500II.jpg

just dave
June 21, 2014, 02:35 PM
I lived through the monster receiver era but never owned one. For one thing the real monsters were pricey for me back then -- would be today too if new prices were adjusted for inflation. More importantly, I was already into separates at the time. Nevertheless I love the monster receivers and "silver era" equipment in general for the visual aesthetic point of view.

What characteristics epitomize the Silver Era? I thing the following ...

Obviously, silver faces -- black was rare in the '70s except for some Sansui
Analog tuning dials and meters instead of neon or (later) LED or LCD
Rotary knobs e.g. for selectors instead of push buttons
Toggle switches instead of in/out buttons
Largish size -- analog dials and knobs and switches took up a lot of space. Large sized reach giganticism by the end of the '70s
Internally, discrete components vs. chips or LSIs, though the latter became increasingly common thru the era.

These characteristic applied to the monster receivers but also other components such as these Pioneer integrated amp and tuner.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2953&d=1329583546
http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/TX-9500II.jpg

I love the looks too.The analog tuning dial was the coolest,back when radio was still big.They were expensive back then but they aren't today except for a few of the TOTL models.I definitely want to get some separates from that era like Phase Linear or Harmon Kardon Citation.

rlock
July 3, 2014, 10:26 PM
Hi Dave,
What speakers do you use with your G9000.

mep
July 4, 2014, 05:11 PM
I love the looks too.The analog tuning dial was the coolest,back when radio was still big.They were expensive back then but they aren't today except for a few of the TOTL models.I definitely want to get some separates from that era like Phase Linear or Harmon Kardon Citation.

Have I got a deal for you. How about a pair of Phase Linear 400 Series 2 power amps? You can have them both for $600.00.

just dave
July 4, 2014, 05:56 PM
Hi Dave,
What speakers do you use with your G9000.

I have RTR model 10's.

just dave
July 4, 2014, 05:59 PM
Have I got a deal for you. How about a pair of Phase Linear 400 Series 2 power amps? You can have them both for $600.00.

I'd love to but no cash flow as of now.Maybe in a month or 2 if you still got em.Got any pics?

mep
July 4, 2014, 07:39 PM
I'd love to but no cash flow as of now.Maybe in a month or 2 if you still got em.Got any pics?

I have a camera and I can certainly take some pics. I need to do that anyway because I was going to put them up on Audiogon. One of them came from the original owner and I have the original box, owner's manual, and service manual. The other one I bought from a tech who went through it and replaced the big filter caps and adjusted everything to the original specs.

cb5300
March 13, 2018, 09:32 PM
Pio. sx-1280
Hitachi sr-2004
Onkyo tx-8500mkII
Optonica sa-5605
Sansui g-9000
Ken. kr-9050
Audio Reflex AGS-152

I currently have a Sansui G-9000DB, a Pioneer SX1980, and a Marantz 2500. All units have been restored from the chassis up....