PDA

View Full Version : DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core

Mike
October 15, 2013, 02:41 PM
I heard this little device - DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core - at RMAF this year in a few rooms. They were also some of the best sounding rooms and no doubt due to this little device. The room dedicated to demonstrating the powers of the Dual Core was very impressive.....so impressive, that I bought this little device today from SimpliFi Audio - a systems approach to musical truth (http://www.simplifiaudio.com) (the U.S. distributor/dealer). Tim at SimpliFi Audio was very helpful in helping me understand the product and its powers. For anyone at RMAF, Tim was the one giving the demonstrations.

I also added the external power supply to my order and the special cables (1.5 meter RCA and 1 meter XLR). I plan on using this little device in my family room system which presents a nightmare of room acoustics.

http://www.dspeaker.com/typo3temp/pics/d_de17c55fa4.jpg

Definitely check it out if you have room issues and treatments are not an option.

12/15/2013 UPDATE: Product was never delivered as promised. Request for refund was ignored. Had to file a complaint with Paypal. Paypal found the dealer in default for not delivering the product or refunding the money and a refund was issued by Paypal. Suffice it to say, I will not deal with this dealer again.

Etunes
October 15, 2013, 02:48 PM
Mike,

Thx for the post .

I've been thinking about this unit . I have room issues and treatments aren't an option . I was considering placing it between my pre and amps. That way it would do its thing for both my sources. I'm some what concerned about losing that organic analog sound from my TT though. Please keep us updated on its performance and thank you the excellent RMAF coverage.

the professor
October 15, 2013, 03:38 PM
Ive heard good things about this little thing. Keep us posted how it sounds.

MusicDirector
October 20, 2013, 12:01 PM
Had me going there for a moment. Room issues with limited to no correction available is my situation exactly and I was thinking I should get one of these. However, I have no idea what this thing is supposed to do? Even the website doesn't explain anything. Then the price, I could rebuild my apartment with better acoustics and everything for $1050.

Mike
October 20, 2013, 12:11 PM
Had me going there for a moment. Room issues with limited to no correction available is my situation exactly and I was thinking I should get one of these. However, I have no idea what this thing is supposed to do? Even the website doesn't explain anything. Then the price, I could rebuild my apartment with better acoustics and everything for $1050.

I think they have a trial period.

MusicDirector
October 20, 2013, 12:28 PM
I think they have a trial period.

That's nice if I could pay shipping both ways, but I'd rather know what it does and how it works before trying it.

Mike
October 20, 2013, 12:49 PM
That's nice if I could pay shipping both ways, but I'd rather know what it does and how it works before trying it.

Call Tim in my OP. He explains it very well.

wisnon
October 20, 2013, 05:54 PM
I have one for a year now. Massive threads at avsforum.com and AudioCircle.

It basically is a powerful algorithm to scan the room with the included Mic and do insightful "learning" adjustments to nullify bass issues as much as possible. You can also use it as a 24/96 Dac and ADC and an analog preamp.

MDP
October 20, 2013, 06:02 PM
I have one for a year now. Massive threads at avsforum.com and AudioCircle.

It basically is a powerful algorithm to scan the room with the included Mic and do insightful "learning" adjustments to nullify bass issues as much as possible. You can also use it as a 24/96 Dac and ADC and an analog preamp.

Well, how much do you like it ?

wisnon
October 20, 2013, 06:21 PM
A lot, and I ran it stock. Its not in the system now as I am making lost of changes....

Basically the difference is easily heard. On compromise though is that unless you work in the digital domain and feed to you reference Dac, then you are limited to the 24/96 ADC/Dac that is in-built in the Dspeaker.

Biggarthomas
December 15, 2013, 01:17 AM
A lot, and I ran it stock. Its not in the system now as I am making lost of changes....

Basically the difference is easily heard. On compromise though is that unless you work in the digital domain and feed to you reference Dac, then you are limited to the 24/96 ADC/Dac that is in-built in the Dspeaker.

Yes, the difference is very easily heard. In my lay persons language this is how I've described the effect. It's as if the bass response of my speakers has now found the direction that both the high and midrange always had. From what I understand, the high and midrange audio waves are more directional in orientation - they tend to come right at you. On the other hand, unless you have a tamed room, bass notes can be sort of all over the place. What happened when I added the DSPeaker is that the bass became instantaneously far more articulate - notes became more deliberate. It didn't change the sound of my speakers one whit just made them far more enjoyable.

My turntable is not routed through the DSPeaker and so, whenever I play vinyl, I have a reminder of what things were like before - absolutely fine but a different less directional experience in the low range. Next week, I'm adding an Oppo BDP 95. It will be interesting to hear what the difference is when I alternate the Oppo's analogue output through the DSPeaker and directly through the pre-amp.

joeinid
December 15, 2013, 02:11 AM
Welcome Biggarthomas!

Thank you for joining.

Glareskin
December 15, 2013, 04:28 AM
It is great that this function is available in a stand-alone, affordable device. I have a DSP function built-in in my Audionet DNP preamplifier. You can download (http://www.audionet.de/main/service/carma-v40/page.html?L=en) the free room measuring software CARMA (computer aided room analyzer) to try for yourself how your room is. Of course you need a good microphone and mic amp for that.
It is amazing what you can find out and how the positive effect on the sound is.
This is what I have measured:
http://bilder.hifi-forum.de/medium/765691/schermafbeelding20131027om130120_364270.jpg
As you can see I have some room acoustic caused heavy decay above 20 and above 60 Hz. And this is exactly what I have corrected. The effect is really amazing.
For what I have read the DSPeaker is doing the same. Correcting in the problematic bass areas. If I didn't have the DSP I would order one.
Hans

VT Skier
December 15, 2013, 09:19 AM
And for those who have found, as I have, that correction done via software sounds more "natural" or "organic" (for lack of better terms), here is another option, which I'm investigating now:

Room Correction (http://www.spatialcomputer.com/page3/page3.html)

Mike
December 15, 2013, 09:22 AM
Since I was the OP on this thread, I thought I should follow up. I ordered this unit immediately following RMAF. After two weeks I had not received it. I called the U.S. dealer and asked where it was. I got one excuse after another. Fine, I waited another three weeks. But still nothing. I called back, and the excuses continued. I politely asked for my money back - as per their money back guarantee listed on their website. He kept saying, "why won't you wait?" My answer "I have waited and I'm not waiting any longer" (I knew the clock was ticking on the period for which you can get your money back from Paypal). Well, that's when things turned ugly. He started firing insults at me thinking he could "scare" me into changing my mind on the request for a refund. He said, "are you ignorant or just stupid?" Then proceeded to go into a rant about "f'ing audiophiles".

In the end, he said I would have my money back the Monday following Thankgiving. That day came and went, no refund.

In the end, a complaint was filed with Paypal just prior to the end of the period to do so. He failed to respond to Paypal. The complaint went to mediation. He never responded to Paypal again. My money was returned a few days ago from Paypal.

Biggarthomas
December 15, 2013, 09:30 AM
Since I was the OP on this thread, I thought I should follow up. I ordered this unit immediately following RMAF. After two weeks I had not received it. I called the U.S. dealer and asked where it was. I got one excuse after another. Fine, I waited another three weeks. But still nothing. I called back, and the excuses continued. I politely asked for my money back - as per their money back guarantee listed on their website. He kept saying, "why won't you wait?" My answer "I have waited and I'm not waiting any longer" (I knew the clock was ticking on the period for which you can get your money back from Paypal). Well, that's when things turned ugly. He started firing insults at me thinking he could "scare" me into changing my mind on the request for a refund. He said, "are you ignorant or just stupid?" Then proceeded to go into a rant about "f'ing audiophiles".

In the end, he said I would have my money back the Monday following Thankgiving. That day came and went, no refund.

In the end, a complaint was filed with Paypal just prior to the end of the period to do so. He failed to respond to Paypal. The complaint went to mediation. He never responded to Paypal again. My money was returned a few days ago from Paypal.

You should get in touch with the European manufacturer and relate this saga to them. I have found them to be incredibly responsive to queries. I'm sure that they would like to know about it if one of their reps has "gone rogue". You can email them through their website.

Mike
December 15, 2013, 09:33 AM
I'm not one to ruffle feathers unless I'm forced to. I got my money back. I still might though.

Biggarthomas
December 15, 2013, 09:53 AM
I'm not one to ruffle feathers unless I'm forced to. I got my money back. I still might though.

Its ts not about ruffling feathers. It's about how the next person down the line might be treated. You may be able to effect change there.

Mike
December 15, 2013, 10:04 AM
Duly noted. I will send a email to HQ with the facts, an explanation and supporting documentation. They can do with it as they choose.

Mike
December 15, 2013, 10:13 AM
Sent.

veindoc
December 15, 2013, 12:01 PM
B-ware
Don't mess with our fearless leader
He's the law around these parts. Play nice things will b fine. Mess with us it might get ugly.
We are a club not a gang----wait for it-----unless provoked.
thnx Mike
Good and less good(aweful vendors need to b dispatched sometimes)

Nick

Mike
December 15, 2013, 12:10 PM
I sent a note with the facts and supporting evidence. I won't stoop to his level. They can do with it as they choose.