PDA

View Full Version : Accuphase Afficinado

TruthSpinner
September 23, 2013, 03:28 PM
Hello Everybody,

I am Henrik and I write from Denmark. Like everyone here I am passionate about the repreduction of music. Sadly enough, however, I have developed a certain affection for old Accuphase gear that is probably comparable to womens affection for jewelery :blush: Some Accuphase gear is rare in Denmark - especially at prices that I am willing to pay. I originally created HifiShark to solve this problem and it has certainly been a great help for me.

It is hard for me to delineate a single 'main' system as I often play my units in various combinations. On paper, however, my C-280L preamp and P-102 poweramp are the nicest amplifiers - fully balanced, class A, true dual mono from about 1987. The nicest speakers are Bösendorfer vc-1. Best sources would be a Nottingham Analogue Interspace w. Ortofon 2m bronce and a Behringer SRC-2496 with a balanced lampizator output stage.

I recently got lucky on a T-108 tuner to accompany this set, and now I secretly (from my wife) dream of a DP-70V cd-player to replace the behringer - if you see one let me know ;)

Besides of the financial matters my main challenge when it comes to hifi is the acoustics of the basement room to which I have been banished with all of my jewelery - I don't believe I will ever get it perfect.

NorthStar
September 23, 2013, 03:37 PM
Henrik, perfection is an illusion, a reproduction. :)

...The true perfection is the live event itself; and usually it sounds awful, unless good care was taken on the acoustics (Classical concert Hall, and the likes).

Mike
September 23, 2013, 03:42 PM
Welcome Henrik! Being from Denmark, have you heard Raidho speakers? Vitus gear?

TruthSpinner
September 23, 2013, 03:45 PM
Spot on NorthStar.

Thanks Mike. I do not recall hearing any of those brands, but most likely I have - at one of the tradeshows. I will try to take notice when I next go [:-)] I can say, however, that both brands are highly praised on the Danish audio forums.

TruthSpinner
September 23, 2013, 03:55 PM
Nice collection gear you have there Mike - how long have you been 'at it'?

Mike
September 23, 2013, 04:09 PM
Nice collection gear you have there Mike - how long have you been 'at it'?

Thanks! :). I've been at it 35 years. I don't need a gear signature, I need a gear ticket tape. ;)

I have lots of additions and changes coming up.

MDP
September 23, 2013, 04:29 PM
Welcome Henrik !! You would really love my audio dealer, he carries Accuphase gear.

TruthSpinner
September 23, 2013, 04:38 PM
I like the Chinook very much - the other Manley gear is not to your liking?

MDP
September 23, 2013, 05:24 PM
I like the Chinook very much - the other Manley gear is not to your liking?

I love Manley gear, My speakers require a lot of power, so the Classe' amps work well.

dlb2
September 23, 2013, 07:37 PM
Welcome Henrik. :hi:

joeinid
September 24, 2013, 12:45 AM
I have a soft spot for Accuphase gear and hope to hear some well broken in gear. I love the looks and build quality. I have a feeling I am going to like the sound as well.

:)

mdkim
September 24, 2013, 01:24 AM
Joe:

I've told you before, the A200s I demo'd briefly sounded fabulous. I don't think you could go wrong if you were to throw a pair into your ever-growing stable of "goodies!"

TruthSpinner
September 24, 2013, 01:52 AM
Competition is tougher these days, but apparently Accuphase gear has always been great for its time.

joeinid
September 24, 2013, 02:16 AM
Joe:

I've told you before, the A200s I demo'd briefly sounded fabulous. I don't think you could go wrong if you were to throw a pair into your ever-growing stable of "goodies!"

I am SERIOUSLY thinking about the A200's. But, not until late next year after I get my D3's :exciting: I have a feeling the D3's and A200's would be to my taste. I have a dollar and a dream.

joeinid
September 24, 2013, 02:17 AM
Competition is tougher these days, but apparently Accuphase gear has always been great for its time.

Totally agree!

Jerome W
September 24, 2013, 03:10 AM
Welcome Henrik !

I could see ( and hear ) an Accuphase A65 power amp anytime in my system....

TruthSpinner
September 24, 2013, 06:20 AM
A-200, A-65, hell even A-60 would do for me. Combined with C-28x0 I would be just fine :cool:

I guess my P-102 is a kind of great grandfather of the series as it was the first 50Watt pure Class A offering from accuphase (no class A/B). Some think it has similarities to the A-20, which was supposed to be quite a mid-range devil. I do recognize some of that viewpoint as the bass extension of the P-102 is not on par with the newer offerings.

Anyhow, I also own a set of C-200/P-300, a set of C-200/C-220/P-20, and a set of E-202/T-101 - all truly fantastic for their time. I once owned a set of C-245/P-370/AD-10/DA-10, but I found this particular setup a bit too analytical and the option cards too weak.

Speakerwise, these other units play with KEF ls50 and Snell type D.

iamhifi
September 24, 2013, 10:24 AM
Henrik Welcome to AS, you have great taste, Accuphase is made with extreme built quality and heavy duty as a Tank. I have a very soft spot for Accuphase having used my late DP500 CD player for 6 years. After that I used a Esoteric K-03 that I did like but the Red book was superior with the Accuphase. The problem here in the States the Accuphase marc up is to high.
Cheers
Angel

Petro85
September 24, 2013, 10:50 AM
Welcome to the shark henrik!!! Accuphase make great products, you are smart to collect them.
Only product I ever owned was a t100. Great tank like tuner. I would find and buy another but where I live now is not so good for radio stations. Kinda in between New York and Philly and get a staticy mix of both.
Again welcome!!!

Toobs
September 24, 2013, 03:05 PM
:hi:Henrik
Welcome to Audioshark:audiophile::audiophile:

TruthSpinner
September 25, 2013, 02:48 AM
Thanks to all of you :eyebrow:

Hmm, smart to collect, well Steve my wife would NOT agree :lol:

Dave
September 30, 2013, 01:34 AM
Henrik Welcome to AS, you have great taste, Accuphase is made with extreme built quality and heavy duty as a Tank. I have a very soft spot for Accuphase having used my late DP500 CD player for 6 years. After that I used a Esoteric K-03 that I did like but the Red book was superior with the Accuphase. The problem here in the States the Accuphase marc up is to high.
Cheers
Angel

It is truly excellent equipment and is 100 percent made in Japan with no Chinese stuff in there. And yes, the mark up is high. I can refer you to a dealer in CA that gives great prices! PM me.

TruthSpinner
November 4, 2013, 04:32 PM
I just sold the C-200/P-300 set because I ran out of space. Excellent set, it really hurt to sell it.

sharkmouth
November 5, 2013, 05:36 AM
Hey Henrik, welcome to the shark! You have great taste in gear.

wisnon
November 5, 2013, 07:51 AM
Hello Everybody,

I am Henrik and I write from Denmark. Like everyone here I am passionate about the repreduction of music.

Besides of the financial matters my main challenge when it comes to hifi is the acoustics of the basement room to which I have been banished with all of my jewelery - I don't believe I will ever get it perfect.

Hi Henrik,

At the risk of enfuriating your wife, may I suggest a 4th system. Since you lement the basement acoustics, might I suggest that you snag a used Emerald Physics CS2.3 or better yet, CS2.7 (Beyma coax drivers) and then buy the Spatial package from Clayton Shaw? This will use computer tech to totally eliminate room issues and tailor the DSD/DRC/EQ to the best possible.

I say used EP system to keep the costs down as Spatial is NOT cheap ($5K for typical package) and you only need the EP speakers, not the Behringer DSP unit. You can then biamp with your favoured Accuphase amps!

Here is an example at Audiogon (though I must say that this auction has a seller with no history):
Emerald Physics CS2.7 | Full range | Fulshear, Texas 77441 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community (http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-emerald-physics-cs2-7-2013-10-25-speakers-77441-fulshear-tx)

Mike
November 5, 2013, 09:28 AM
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/planars-emerald-physics-rmaf-system-sale-show-system-on-sale-great-reviews-2013-11-04-speakers-30067-marietta-ga

wisnon
November 5, 2013, 10:04 AM
Yes, Mike, that is the CS3.0 but the 2.3 and 2.7 are even better! Combined with Spatial, up another notch again.

Mike
November 5, 2013, 10:08 AM
Yes, Mike, that is the CS3.0 but the 2.3 and 2.7 are even better! Combined with Spatial, up another notch again.

Oh I know...but for the entire system.....this is a fair price.

wisnon
November 5, 2013, 11:19 AM
Yes, very fair.

However, I was trying to lure Henrik into a bare bones used EP system (for minimal investment) that he could put Spatial computing on and be totally golden in ANY room conditions! The CS2.7 is better than the old 2.3 as theBeyma concentric driver trounces the version that is in the old 2.3. I dont know the new drivers so cant comment, except to say that Wally thinks they are Beyma level.

TruthSpinner
November 6, 2013, 04:57 AM
Thank you for the suggestions. I am affraid that a fourth system is out of the question, however :-(

wisnon
November 6, 2013, 06:26 AM
Then Henrik, all l I have for you then is a suggestion for a DSPeaker Dual Core anti-mode 2.0 to help with room bass node issues.

If you are willing to ditch the Snell, then perhaps the Gradient Hlesink 1.5 with Subs and the DSPeaker?

TruthSpinner
November 6, 2013, 12:53 PM
I could consider ditching the Snells, but only for something else with plenty of movie slam, the one point where the Snells definately have the upper hand over my Bösendorfers :-)

niklas
November 28, 2013, 07:03 PM
Hello TruthSpinner i'm from sweden. How does your third system sound?
Because i have been thinking about getting a accuphase e-202 and maybe a pair of snell type D

joeinid
November 28, 2013, 10:45 PM
Welcome to the forum niklas!

TruthSpinner
November 29, 2013, 04:04 PM
Hello TruthSpinner i'm from sweden. How does your third system sound?
Because i have been thinking about getting a accuphase e-202 and maybe a pair of snell type D

Hi Niklas,

The system sounds very nice indeed. In fact my (renovated) E-202 and Snell type D system seems to be a wonderful combination.

I use them with a Nottingham Analogue Interspace and an Accuphase C-220 RIAA and the result is well balanced and very musical. For movies (and CD) it is fine too, because the Snell D is sensitive and capable of moving quite a bit of air.

niklas
November 30, 2013, 11:05 AM
Hi Niklas,

The system sounds very nice indeed. In fact my (renovated) E-202 and Snell type D system seems to be a wonderful combination.

I use them with a Nottingham Analogue Interspace and an Accuphase C-220 RIAA and the result is well balanced and very musical. For movies (and CD) it is fine too, because the Snell D is sensitive and capable of moving quite a bit of air.

Thanks for the information :) sounds like a good combo then. Would you be interested in uploading a video of the combo on youtube with some classic rock or blues (Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits or maybe hotel california with the eagles). I have only seen 2 videos on youtube with snell speakers but they are with a different model

Design Audio Video
November 30, 2013, 12:04 PM
TruthSpinner
Welcome to the forum. I'm excited to have an Accuphase guy hanging around. If you do not have a local Accuphase dealer I would be glad to help you out with any Accuphase questions or future purchases. I am a dealer and have had just about all of their current models in my showroom.

Design Audio Video
November 30, 2013, 12:08 PM
Accuphase C3800, A200, DP-550, PS520, PS1220, C27, DG48 and E560

MDP
November 30, 2013, 01:28 PM
And it sounds as good as it looks !!

TruthSpinner
December 1, 2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the information :) sounds like a good combo then. Would you be interested in uploading a video of the combo on youtube with some classic rock or blues (Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits or maybe hotel california with the eagles). I have only seen 2 videos on youtube with snell speakers but they are with a different model

The youtube thing isn't really me, and my listening room is always disorganized. You are going to have to take my word for the quality of the match - it really is very very good.

niklas
December 1, 2013, 05:07 PM
The youtube thing isn't really me, and my listening room is always disorganized. You are going to have to take my word for the quality of the match - it really is very very good.

Ok thanks, I have to sell of some hifi before i start to buy some more. But i will start and look for snell and accuphase then. I might be able to listen to a snell eIII at a store here. Thanks for the help anyway

ericsegg
December 18, 2013, 01:40 AM
Hi Dav,

Please PM me, I am interested in a pair of A-200s.

Thank you.

I am ericsegg on Audiogon.

Eric

the professor
December 18, 2013, 10:06 AM
Welcome to AS!

joeinid
December 18, 2013, 11:00 AM
Welcome Eric.

MDP
December 18, 2013, 11:22 AM
Welcome Eric, I told David to send you a PM.

Design Audio Video
December 18, 2013, 11:32 AM
Hey Eric

Sorry I just noticed your post. Please feel free to call me at the number below. I have A200's on demo.
903-571-7189

Design Audio Video
December 18, 2013, 01:23 PM
They are improving daily and want to post a picture of the bronze finish in my demo room.

jazzlover
December 19, 2013, 01:18 AM
WOW you got a bunch of PS 520 :rolleyes:

Accuphase C3800, A200, DP-550, PS520, PS1220, C27, DG48 and E560

TruthSpinner
January 31, 2014, 06:59 PM
Got myself an Accuphase DC-91 - georgeous machine that one :-)

Note to MDP: For a be-nice policeman you sure do drag semi-naked women around to peoples threads a lot :-(

MichaelHiFi
February 2, 2014, 11:55 AM
Then Henrik, all l I have for you then is a suggestion for a DSPeaker Dual Core anti-mode 2.0 to help with room bass node issues.

If you are willing to ditch the Snell, then perhaps the Gradient Hlesink 1.5 with Subs and the DSPeaker?

Wisnon is spot on. The anti mode changed my game entirely. I thought I had a great room, and I did. But this little known jewel fixes everything from subwoofer issues to bright recordings. I'm even happy with its built-in DAC but still, since I'm hopeless, prefer more expensive DACs.

I had the Gradient Evolutions in my room (fed via the anti mode). They don't look like much but damn, we were blown away. But the Helsinki and 2 subs being controlled with the anti mode. I have to hear that!

Always dreamed of owning Accuphase and nearly pulled the trigger a few years back. They just look beautiful and no doubt sound great.

TruthSpinner
April 19, 2014, 02:00 AM
I am currently driving ny kef ls50 with an Accuphase P-102. Does anyone have an informed opinion on this amp vs the P-360?

Sendt fra min HTC One X med Tapatalk

iosiP
April 19, 2014, 06:11 PM
I have a feeling the D3's and A200's would be to my taste. I have a dollar and a dream.I tried my C3 with A60 and the result was a complete waste of both (otherwise excellent) components: a mismatch made in hell!