PDA

View Full Version : Rafael Nadal wins his 21st Major

Puma Cat
January 30, 2022, 02:22 PM
Today Rafael Nadal won his 21st Major Men's Singles Title by defeating Daniil Medvedev 2-6, 6-7, 6-4, 6-4, 7-5 at the Australian Open in Melnbourne in a truly epic 5 hr, 24 min match, the second longest match in Men's Open competition history. It took Nadal 4 hrs and 49 minutes of very tough competition to finally take the lead in the match.

Rafa's competition history is one of the most remarkable in the history of sports, especially when considering professional singles tennis is a solo sport and coaching during match play is prohibited.

Nadal is 21 for 29 in Mens Majors Singles Finals competition for a winning percentage of 72%.

In 18 years of Open competition:
21 Majors
36 Masters 1000 titles
2 times "Career Slams" (winning every major at least twice)
2 times Olympic champion
1038 victories

And...*never once* broken a racket in anger.

CLASS. LEADERSHIP.

Vamos, Rafa! Well done!

https://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/iphonephotos/large/Nadal-AO-2jpg.jpg

rrwmd
January 30, 2022, 02:40 PM
Good for Rafa. And what an epic comeback!

Puma Cat
January 30, 2022, 03:21 PM
Good for Rafa. And what an epic comeback!

Incredible.

He never ceases to amaze me.

And, he's always a class act.

hogen
February 1, 2022, 05:07 PM
Incredible.

He never ceases to amaze me.

And, he's always a class act.

Very well done of course, but the worlds best player today was not able to participate unfortunately. I would have set my money on Djokovic in a final.

nicoff
February 1, 2022, 07:12 PM
Very well done of course, but the worlds best player today was not able to participate unfortunately. I would have set my money on Djokovic in a final.

No question that Djokovic is the world's best player right now. And I would have put my money on Djokovic too!
But it is obvious that in terms of character, Rafa is at a higher level.

u-sound
February 1, 2022, 07:42 PM
+1, how could they give him a visa and then send him back!?
then again i am pretty sure he is going to win a couple more grand slams and takes the record down the road.
as for rafa, yes, wow, well done! incredible player. i must admit i hate his rituals, rubbing his asshole before every serve etc.

nicoff
February 1, 2022, 08:19 PM
i must admit i hate [RAFA] rituals, rubbing his asshole before every serve etc.

Spoken like a Federer fan, I bet... :D

u-sound
February 1, 2022, 10:09 PM
yes :)
that said, nadal is stronger and djokovic more complete. different level of defense.

i was speaking as a tennis-tv-watcher who likes to be entertained. nadals rituals are a waste of time for the tv watcher.

XV-1
February 2, 2022, 07:48 AM
PC, well done on getting the tennis terminology correct - Nadal has won his 21st Major, although many people including media and the actual Aust Open commentators were saying Nadal had won a 21st grand slam, which is incorrect.

Nadal is the best competitor we have seen for sure. He should have lost in the Qtr's against Shapovalov but Nadal got a 3rd wind in the 5th and Dennis went down in his game.
Medvedev had enough break point chances to win several Australian Open's but Nadal to his credit stepped up each time and raised his play.

Why was Novax given a Visa to enter Australia? Very good question and was a screw up by the Australian Govt and Tennis Australia multiple times. Why did Novax lie on his visa application?
Bottom line is he is not vaccinated and should never have been given a Visa to enter Australia.

After watching the tournament and final, Novax must be kicking himself as he would have won the AO for sure.

And

Well done Ash Barty!! easily the best female tennis player in the world and she could teach a lot of the men how to play a slice backhand correctly :P

u-sound
February 2, 2022, 02:04 PM
you are right, the right word is major.
grand slam would be if you win all 4 majors in the same year, only rod laver managed to do so i think.

Bottom line is he is not vaccinated and should never have been given a Visa to enter Australia.

well, he was recovered and negativ....i think they sent him back to not upset the crowd, nothing to do with medical common sense.

Puma Cat
February 2, 2022, 05:13 PM
you are right, the right word is major.
grand slam would be if you win all 4 majors in the same year, only rod laver managed to do so i think.

Rod Laver is the only male player to win a Grand Slam in the "Open Era".

dminches
February 3, 2022, 12:45 PM
PC, well done on getting the tennis terminology correct - Nadal has won his 21st Major, although many people including media and the actual Aust Open commentators were saying Nadal had won a 21st grand slam, which is incorrect.

The commentators are correct. The 4 tournaments (AO, French Open, Wimbledon and US Open) are categorized as “Grand Slam” tournaments. People confuse “Grand Slam” with winning all 4 in one year. That is considered a calendar year Grand Slam.

“Grand Slam” relates to the amount of points you get for your success in the tournament in contrast to WTA 1000, 500, etc. and the ATP 1000, etc.

The term “major” is not part of the tennis world’s official language as far as I know.

dminches
February 3, 2022, 12:48 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/65RdyDTy/025-D5-DA6-D89-C-4482-85-D8-CD86-EE5-B5021.jpg

u-sound
February 4, 2022, 02:25 PM
looking forward to the french open. last semifinals between rafa and novak was one of the best games ever!!