PDA

View Full Version : Best Explosion

Orbitron
August 11, 2013, 06:25 PM
So many blu rays with very good explosions, is there a best of the best?

GaryProtein
August 11, 2013, 06:47 PM
The last of the Batman movies had a lot of explosions, so many [even the gunshots were explosions] it was annoying.

Mike
August 11, 2013, 07:15 PM
The current Star Trek movie on Blu Ray. The new one will be amazing when it comes out too.....or maybe its out?

My friend says Terminator 1 is his go to movie for boom boom pow.

NorthStar
August 11, 2013, 08:52 PM
Not all "explosions" but low intensity bass nonetheless.

* 'The Hurt Locker' --- Check the first explosion at the beginning.
* 'Daylight' ---Check the tunnel explosion.
* 'The Jackal' --- The high caliber gun (practice shooting).
* 'Golden Eye - 007' --- The train explosion. ...And the tank earlier.
* 'Blown Away' --- Few good explosions.
* 'The Sum of all Fears' --- Nuclear bomb.
* 'Clear and Present Danger' --- Rocket launchers; attack on the diplomatic convoy.
* 'Master and Commander - The Far Side of the World' --- The cannon shots.
* 'End of Days' --- Few good explosions.
* 'Battleship' --- Few good ones.
* 'Transformers - Trilogy' --- Should do it.

* 'Mercury Rising' --- Check the two trains when they cross each other.
* 'Saving Private Ryan' --- The first twenty-five minutes.
* 'The Haunting' --- Here and there. ...Late at night, in the dark, ...
* 'Top Gun' --- The opening with that jet plane taking off.
* 'Apollo 13' --- The take off.
* 'Terminator 2: Judgement Day' --- The apocalypse sequence (nightmare; flashback dream like sequence), and ...
* 'Jurassik Park' --- T-Rex.
* 'Titanic' --- The iceberg. ...The engine room.
* 'Flight of the Phoenix' --- Just before the plane crash, up in the storm.
* 'Cast Away' --- Plane crash.
* 'Contact' --- The pod (dimension travelling).
* 'Deep Impact' --- Meteor crash.
* 'Tron - Legacy' --- The music.
* 'The Rock' --- The music.
* 'The Peacemaker' --- Terrorist attack; the bomb.
* 'Riding Giants' --- The waves (surfing).
* 'Enemy of the State' --- The compound explosion.
* 'Jumanji' --- The stampede.
* 'Finding Nemo' --- Darla knocking on the aquarium.
* 'Last Man Standing' --- High gauge shotgun.
* 'Lost in Space' --- Spacecraft crashing. ...And more.
* 'Pulse' --- Entering the computer room.

=> These are only few titles real quick out of my head. I could probably have kept at it, and find some even better titles (much better I'm sure), and I bet ten times more too (333 or so).
{All the titles above = Intense 25Hz bass and below, aggressive .1 LFE content, deep bass challenging, and below 50Hz in the surrounds.}

* Denotes my personal preferences.

Paul
August 11, 2013, 09:00 PM
Bob...You are the BEST ~!

NorthStar
August 11, 2013, 09:03 PM
It's not easy to define the very best of the best; but it is certainly not impossible.

* I used to measure (SPL meter) the loudest scenes (115-125dB), and some of them are in that list above;
but I don't do that anymore.
Now I can tell just by feeling in my guts which movie (Blu-ray) has the best and most awesome and most accurate (detailed and delineated) bass explosions of them all.

I would have to go through all my Blus (roughly 4,000) to make such a list of the very Best of the Best.
But for now that above list would do.
And in the future, if I'm up to it, I will return to this thread right here. ...And watch out! :)

NorthStar
August 11, 2013, 09:12 PM
Bob...You are the BEST ~!

Blu-ray movies are just one of my several domains. ...And I don't mind at all once in a while the odd great explosion. :)
I'm not anal though, absolutely not. ...It's just that the OP asked a question that I could justify answering. ;)

Sean
August 11, 2013, 09:15 PM
Opening action scene in Terminator Salvation. Love that napalm drop

Sean
August 11, 2013, 09:18 PM
Gunshots in Collateral are very very good.

NorthStar
August 11, 2013, 09:32 PM
* 'Fight Club' --- The mid-air plane collision.

Orbitron
August 11, 2013, 09:39 PM
Best explosion i've heard recently is in Skyfall. Won't give away the scene but it's early in the movie.

NorthStar
August 11, 2013, 09:49 PM
There is that guy that I know (from another site), and a bunch of members here know him too; and once he measured in his home theater room 142 dB! ...Peak SPL from a movie. ...I never asked him which one (movie) though.

And I know another guy, Gary (BassPig), who I'm sure several of you are familiar with, and him too is very bass scary in his own home stereo room!

But those peak levels are just that; peaks. ...Because if you would sustain them for more than say few minutes (like five mins constant), not only you would most likely blow few drivers and amps (if your system is not from the very ultra high "haut-de-gamme" category), but your ears as well, of course.

* I listen to music and movies at around 80 dB on average, with peaks hitting perhaps 95 dB or so.
That's for when I listen at HIGH volume! ...With movies I'll hit the odd peak of 100+ dB.

Usually, I'm between 70 and 75. ...Music wise.

NorthStar
August 11, 2013, 10:03 PM
Best explosion i've heard recently is in Skyfall. Won't give away the scene but it's early in the movie.

Well, you can tell us which explosion it is, no?

In 'Skyfall' my favorite explosion is the one of M16's headquarters (the full floor of that buiding), in the heart of London! :)
- She's talking (M16) to a British cop on the bridge, when suddenly, when least expected, your heart jumps out of your body, radically!

That's not the one you meant, right?

GaryProtein
August 11, 2013, 10:22 PM
Not all "explosions" but low intensity bass nonetheless.

* 'The Hurt Locker' --- Check the first explosion at the beginning.
* 'Daylight' ---Check the tunnel explosion.
* 'The Jackal' --- The high caliber gun (practice shooting).
* 'Golden Eye - 007' --- The train explosion. ...And the tank earlier.
* 'Blown Away' --- Few good explosions.
* 'The Sum of all Fears' --- Nuclear bomb.
* 'Clear and Present Danger' --- Rocket launchers; attack on the diplomatic convoy.
* 'Master and Commander - The Far Side of the World' --- The cannon shots.
* 'End of Days' --- Few good explosions.
* 'Battleship' --- Few good ones.
* 'Transformers - Trilogy' --- Should do it.

* 'Mercury Rising' --- Check the two trains when they cross each other.
* 'Saving Private Ryan' --- The first twenty-five minutes.
* 'The Haunting' --- Here and there. ...Late at night, in the dark, ...
* 'Top Gun' --- The opening with that jet plane taking off.
* 'Apollo 13' --- The take off.
* 'Terminator 2: Judgement Day' --- The apocalypse sequence (nightmare; flashback dream like sequence), and ...
* 'Jurassik Park' --- T-Rex.
* 'Titanic' --- The iceberg. ...The engine room.
* 'Flight of the Phoenix' --- Just before the plane crash, up in the storm.
* 'Cast Away' --- Plane crash.
* 'Contact' --- The pod (dimension travelling).
* 'Deep Impact' --- Meteor crash.
* 'Tron - Legacy' --- The music.
* 'The Rock' --- The music.
* 'The Peacemaker' --- Terrorist attack; the bomb.
* 'Riding Giants' --- The waves (surfing).
* 'Enemy of the State' --- The compound explosion.
* 'Jumanji' --- The stampede.
* 'Finding Nemo' --- Darla knocking on the aquarium.
* 'Last Man Standing' --- High gauge shotgun.
* 'Lost in Space' --- Spacecraft crashing. ...And more.
* 'Pulse' --- Entering the computer room.

=> These are only few titles real quick out of my head. I could probably have kept at it, and find some even better titles (much better I'm sure), and I bet ten times more too (333 or so).

* Denotes my personal preferences.

This is the MASTER LIST!

Orbitron
August 11, 2013, 11:14 PM
Well, you can tell us which explosion it is, no?

In 'Skyfall' my favorite explosion is the one of M16's headquarters (the full floor of that buiding), in the heart of London! :)
- She's talking (M16) to a British cop on the bridge, when suddenly, when least expected, your heart jumps out of your body, radically!

That's not the one you meant, right?

Yes, i played it again in my smaller bijou using a SVS cylindrical subwoofer. It sounded like the whole room exploded - a guest who knew the blast was coming and had seen the movie before - was STILL startled by the blast.

NorthStar
August 11, 2013, 11:19 PM
Thanks Gary but not really. ...Trust me, I can do much better than that. ...It's not a bad list, but I can add to it some other excellent titles with highly explosive blasts.

...With time, when another title would pop out of my head, and if I happen to stumble onto this thread.
- Just like I did with 'Fight Club' (mid-air plane collision). ...But without adding them to that list; just in a new post.
...To increase my post count? :D ...Ya right, ...just not my style, and not the style of anyone here.
Over there perhaps, with the Master of all Masters. ...You know which guy I'm talkin' 'bout. ;)
Nah I'm just kidding; he's not into that at all. ...More into membership's high number! ;):D ...And money? ...Oh ya, that too! :D ...Particularly money. ...The high 'fake' count simply helps at boosting his own personal bank account; at reaching his ultimate big pile of **** money.

NorthStar
August 11, 2013, 11:26 PM
Yes, i played it again in my smaller bijou using a SVS cylindrical subwoofer. It sounded like the whole room exploded - a guest who knew the blast was coming and had seen the movie before - was STILL startled by the blast.

So, it was the scene you were referring to ... Of course. :)

That's a great explosion! ...You got that one right sir. :cool:

So, 'Skyfall' it is, and big time too. ...One of the very best explosions out there, and very sudden too.
...Total unexpected surprise!

Orbitron
August 11, 2013, 11:32 PM
No list is complete without U-571, from the quiet scenes waiting for the depth charges to the detonations, a must own disc.

NorthStar
August 11, 2013, 11:58 PM
No list is complete without U-571, from the quiet scenes waiting for the depth charges to the detonations, a must own disc.

Jeez, how could I omitted the obvious! ...Good one my friend.
...And those bolts, exploding and deadly flying all around, from sheer pressure!

By the way, that list; all the titles in it contain intense 25Hz bass, are deep bass challenging, with agressive .1LFE, and have bass below 50Hz in the surround channels.

And in some titles like 'Skyfall' and 'The Hurt Locker' and 'Master and Commander - TFSOTW', on Blu-ray; that bass is truly penetrating. ...Meaning intelligently well recorded. ...Realistic!
...With subwoofer(s) of course. ...And full range speakers too.

* It's an interesting note to mention that with music; electronica (synthesizers), classical orchestral, organ, and some pop, rock, and heavy metal, new age too, motion picture soundtracks, test (bass) discs, can have some powerful bass as well.
But with movies, because of that .1LFE channel, the impact measures to another higher/more intense level, I think.
What do you think? ... (Some of my Telarc music CDs have content as low as 5Hz!}

Now, from which music medium? ...Analog LP, analog R2R tape, or digital CD/SACD, or digital hi-res music download?
That, is the question. :)

Last: Mono, Stereo or Multichannel? ...And discrete of course (surround).

NorthStar
August 12, 2013, 12:28 AM
Orbitron, you mentioned "my smaller bijou"; that's the name of your home theater right?
...And you are also a member at Blu-ray.com right?

Orbitron
August 12, 2013, 12:53 AM
Orbitron, you mentioned "my smaller bijou"; that's the name of your home theater right?
...And you are also a member at Blu-ray.com right?
I browse it, will have to check if i signed up a while back.

As to the name, well, no. My smaller bijou is my bedroom, great sound for a really small room, all overhead speakers except the sub. My real deal home theater is the 11.5 x 25 den built by Aaron Hoffman, Kanso Audio Furniture. If you check the Audio Furniture section i just posted some photos in the thread: Kanso Audio's Room.

NorthStar
August 12, 2013, 01:09 AM
I browse it, will have to check if i signed up a while back.

As to the name, well, no. My smaller bijou is my bedroom, great sound for a really small room, all overhead speakers except the sub. My real deal home theater is the 11.5 x 25 den built by Aaron Hoffman, Kanso Audio Furniture. If you check the Audio Furniture section i just posted some photos in the thread: Kanso Audio's Room.

Thx a bunch, I'll have a look. :)

* Did I welcome you? ...I will.

socfan12
August 12, 2013, 10:53 PM

Yes, this and War of the Worlds w Tom Cruise also gets mentioned a lot for bad @ss bass.

NorthStar
August 12, 2013, 11:21 PM
Yes, this and War of the Worlds w Tom Cruise also gets mentioned a lot for bad @ss bass.

Very good one! ...The lightening strikes near the beginning, and later on the tripods, and the ferry capsizing.
...And also in the basement, when you hear the jet plane crashing! ...Explosions? ...Oh yeah, there are some of those too; the tanker truck falling from the bridge, the army vs the tripods on the hillside, the rocket launcher at the end. ...And all those 'zippers' from the pods. ...Disintegrating, radically, human bodies.

'War of the Worlds' is indeed very very good for jolts of 'Heavy Bass'! :cool:

Borderdog
August 19, 2013, 05:48 PM
I was watching "Skyfall" the other night.
When the train comes crashing through the hole in the tunnel....Holy Sheet!
My wife ran into the room wondering what the hell was going on.

I have 2 18" infinite baffle sub woofers (ceiling mounted), which are good down to about 8hz.
That scene, even though I didn't have it that loud, still shook the whole house. And my house is built like a bomb shelter.

A lot of low frequency energy in that scene!

Aaron

NorthStar
August 19, 2013, 09:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Ib5h2KGQU

Borderdog
August 19, 2013, 11:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Ib5h2KGQU

Yea Bob,

That's the scene. Didn't sound as impressive on my iMac...lol.

NorthStar
August 20, 2013, 12:39 AM
Well, iMac is not IMAX! :D

Orbitron
August 20, 2013, 10:11 PM
As a follow up to U-571 I would recommend Phantom - a sub movie with Ed Harris in charge of a nuclear Russian sub. Very good use of surrounds, an immersive ride.

LL21
August 25, 2013, 06:42 PM
Expendables both 1 and 2...the first one in particular comes to mind...the motorcycle pulling into the garage in the beginning...the first shotgun blast from Dolph Lundgren during the first big fight scene at nite on the ship. The airplane flown by Stallone and the gun being manned by Jason Streatham blowing up the pier...Also the remake of Tron has nice bass throughout.

NorthStar
August 25, 2013, 06:58 PM
Expendables both 1 and 2...the first one in particular comes to mind...the motorcycle pulling into the garage in the beginning...the first shotgun blast from Dolph Lundgren during the first big fight scene at nite on the ship. The airplane flown by Stallone and the gun being manned by Jason Streatham blowing up the pier...Also the remake of Tron has nice bass throughout.

I got both on Blu-rays (don't ask me why), and lots of subwoofer action indeed, but not as well defined as in some other better made flicks (with better audio soundtracks) if you know what I mean. ...Still though, good mention. :)

KingRT10
August 27, 2013, 11:45 AM
Tron needs to thank Daft Punk for letting it in the movie.
The music was really a driving force, glad it made the list.

LL21
August 30, 2013, 03:47 PM
Tron needs to thank Daft Punk for letting it in the movie.
The music was really a driving force, glad it made the list.

I have a 2-CD version of the Tron soundtrack by Daft Punk...way cool. The 2nd CD is not a 'waste' for marketing if you like the synthesizer & bass heavy themes of the movie...you just get another 40 min of it or so. Cool.