PDA

View Full Version : Hi from So Cal!

Big Jim 007
August 9, 2013, 11:04 PM
I was referred by JohnFV who tells me that this place is ran by some good people! I am a Bottlehead of the 1st order as all of my gear has tubes except for my speakers.

My amp is an Audio Research VS-110, pre is a modified Bottlehead Foreplay and my source is a AH! Tjoeb CDP. My speakers are Magnepan' 2.5's and a pair of B&W ASW300 subs.

Maybe not the most expensive systems, but sure sounds great to my ears. Very revealing, coherent, excellent detail and an incredible soundstage! It literally makes the walks disappear into lifelike music.

I have been an Audiophile for about 40 years and plan on another 40!

Jim

p.s. is it always so slow and jittery typing on an iPhone?

Mike
August 9, 2013, 11:09 PM
Hi Jim - welcome! Try our free app. We have another app coming!

joeinid
August 9, 2013, 11:34 PM
Jim,

Welcome aboard and thanks for joining. Sounds like you have great taste in gear. Nothing to be ashamed of. Have fun.

Big Jim 007
August 9, 2013, 11:37 PM
Hi Joe, when am I going to lose my training wheels and be able to fill in my bio and add an avatar and signature to my profile?

It doesn't allow me to on the app or otherwise.

Thanks,

Jim

joeinid
August 9, 2013, 11:40 PM
Jim

After 10 posts it's all good. The software tries to weed out spammers. Thanks in advance. It will be over before you know it.

Big Jim 007
August 10, 2013, 12:09 AM
Thanks Joe, makes sense! Yes, I am happy with my current setup. Funny thing, I sold my Marantz Model 9 RI's recently and thought I was going backwards with the ARC VS110, anything but. The VS110 is a wonderful amp, the key was finding a set of NOS 1967 6N1P-EV's that were made for the Soyuz. They sound very much like a good 6922, whereas the 1991 6N1P-EV's I originally dropped in sounded a bit more like 6SN7's...both will get their playing time.

I recently put the Bottlehead Foreplay II in the main system and is much more transparent than the 1962 McIntosh MX-110 that it replaced....need to find a nice tube tuner now...

The Bottlehead is set up for 6FQ7's which are very spacious and very neutral.

The surprise is the AH! Tjoeb CDP that started as a Marantz 38 and then sent to the guys in The Netherlands for their magic. It sounds the best with a pair of early 60's Siemens pinched waist E288CC's. This deck is as about as analog sounding as I have heard.

The speakers are the real prize, a pair of Magnepan 2.5's that I restored a few years back. Truly an amazing speaker that I find to be as good as their current 3.7's, but a hint more laid back. The subs are a pair of B&W's that are very fast and musical even if only 8"ers. They go low enough for me and not at all flubby.

This may be the most enjoyable system I've owned at any price.

Heck, you got me yakking it up about my system...wait, this is an audio forum!!!

Jim

MrAcoustat
August 10, 2013, 12:18 AM
I was referred by JohnFV who tells me that this place is ran by some good people! I am a Bottlehead of the 1st order as all of my gear has tubes except for my speakers.

My amp is an Audio Research VS-110, pre is a modified Bottlehead Foreplay and my source is a AH! Tjoeb CDP. My speakers are Magnepan' 2.5's and a pair of B&W ASW300 subs.

Maybe not the most expensive systems, but sure sounds great to my ears. Very revealing, coherent, excellent detail and an incredible soundstage! It literally makes the walks disappear into lifelike music.

I have been an Audiophile for about 40 years and plan on another 40!

Jim

p.s. is it always so slow and jittery typing on an iPhone?

2841 To this great forum Big Jim 007

PS: A special welcome for a panel guy, there aren't to many of us here.

joeinid
August 10, 2013, 12:23 AM
Wow. Thank you for the history. I enjoy tubes very much but my knowledge is a little limited. I can't keep the tube history straight so I kind of pull back instead of diving in head first. My system is on too much for a steady diet of tubes so I try to make it special occasion listening. I appreciate your enthusiasm and hope to learn a lot from you. We have awesome members here and all have great perspectives on gear and music. I think we are fortunate to have enthusiastic members sharing their passion.

NorthStar
August 10, 2013, 12:56 AM
Hi Jim and welcome!

Big Jim 007
August 10, 2013, 01:00 AM
Yes, I still have the passion and love for audio and hope that I never lose it. Actually, it is I who hopes to learn more around here and hopefully share some insights that I have gained over the years.

Sure will be nice to be at a place where audio is the focus and civility exists!

Jim

sharkmouth
August 10, 2013, 02:51 AM
Hey Jim, we're big on being civil here, welcome to the water.

NorthStar
August 10, 2013, 03:03 AM
Yes, I still have the passion and love for audio and hope that I never lose it. Actually, it is I who hopes to learn more around here and hopefully share some insights that I have gained over the years.

Sure will be nice to be at a place where audio is the focus and civility exists!

Jim

It's quite easy actually Jim; we're all equal people, and we respect everyone. No matter if you like Heavy Metal or Classical Chamber music, no matter if you use a speaker or a lovely lady as your avatar, no matter if your hi-fi rig cost $5 millions USA or five thousands Euros.

There is no absolute in real life and even less in audio reproduction. The main goal is the aural pleasure from the music we love and that gently rocks our entire aura. ...Or rocks it heavy.
And having fun and smiling with a good sense of humor is a much better experience than being too serious, anal, stressed out, and hard on scientific equations and measurements.

Just normal, regular, meaningful, respectable, intelligent people; that's all. :)

sharkmouth
August 10, 2013, 03:25 AM
I hope you meant retentive Bob?

dlb2
August 10, 2013, 07:56 AM
Welcome Jim! :hi:

Ritmo
August 10, 2013, 08:01 AM
Welcome Jim!!! This is great place. People are very friendly, have fun and are always more than willing to help audio friends.

Mike

MDP
August 10, 2013, 08:26 AM
Jim, Welcome to AS !! We truly have a great group here,they are all very respectful of each other !!

Rtan
August 10, 2013, 08:59 AM
Welcome big Jim. Are you in Los Angeles?

Big Jim 007
August 10, 2013, 11:44 AM
2841 To this great forum Big Jim 007

PS: A special welcome for a panel guy, there aren't to many of us here.
Yes, and I don't understand why there isn't more of us who listen to room dividers!
Jim

joeinid
August 10, 2013, 11:46 AM
Yes, and I don't understand why there isn't more of us who listen to room dividers!
Jim

Ha!

It took me a while but I got it. :)

Big Jim 007
August 10, 2013, 11:48 AM
Hi Rtan: Sort of, in the West Hills area. Jim P.S. This forum must not be Window 8 compliant as I cannot format my posts.

joeinid
August 10, 2013, 11:51 AM
Hi Rtan: Sort of, in the West Hills area. Jim P.S. This forum must not be Window 8 compliant as I cannot format my posts.

I have problems at work with Windows 7 and Internet Explorer. If I use compatibility mode, it's a little better.

Toobs
August 10, 2013, 08:45 PM
:hi:Jim
Welcome to Audioshark:audiophile::audiophile:

Dawgneck
September 25, 2013, 10:10 PM
Hi, Jim.

I'm getting back into the mix after a three-year hiatus. Thought I was going to sell off my gear then all of a sudden I'm dipping into the piggy bank again....

I joined for the same reasons you did.

Later.

Dawgneck
September 25, 2013, 10:11 PM
Oh yeah, I'm in So Cal also.