PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably Price AVR

RDSChicago
November 30, 2020, 12:40 PM
In one room, I have an old Pioneer plasma TV with a Pioneer Elite AVR. Wanted to upgrade to a 4k TV, probably a C class LG. So now thinking about also buying an AVR to optimize video and sound options. My only source will be an Apple TV 4K as I recently cut the cable cord and am using YouTube TV. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Mikado463
November 30, 2020, 01:40 PM
Define your budget , $$ and go with current offerings from Denon, Marantz or Yamaha

Mr Peabody
November 30, 2020, 07:28 PM
I like Marantz, good sound (considering what it is), reliable and easy set up menu. I am still using a old 8003 processor that may be one of their original efforts in the processor category and I am using one of their receivers in a small set up for our living room.

CPP
December 6, 2020, 09:30 AM
I've got a older Denon 4311CI (2010) that's still going strong, knocking on wood here, NO issues what so ever. But its getting old in the teeth when paired with my Sony OLED TV.

RDSChicago
December 6, 2020, 09:59 AM
I have a Pioneer Elite AVR with matching Pioneer Elite plasma. Both around 14 years old. They both work perfectly. My wife tells me the 4K Sony A9 OLED in another room renders clearer picture of the faces on the British Baking Show. Maybe a bit better IMO. I think the picture on the plasma is excellent. I’m now thinking to wait until the plasma TV dies before getting new. What’s the hurry, right?

Mike Lavigne
December 6, 2020, 10:23 AM
before you jump into an AVR consider where you want to go. are you wanting to get into Dolby Atmos and 'object based' immersive soundtracks and music? how many speakers? ceiling speakers? how big is the room? subwoofers? how many? are you wanting to use the room optimization software some AVR's come with?

before you assume these things are not important, understand that Netflix and all the streaming services are demanding from any content providers that all the bells and whistles for soundtrack immersive sound are in the new content. so the content you consume will have the information to make your experience richer and more enjoyable, but you have to jump in to the fire to hear it.

once you answer those questions, then consider that right now many are moving from one level of AVR to another level of AVR as the tech offers more involved options, so there are many very spendy choices that are being offered for relative cheap prices. so for something reasonable you can get something high level......that might still be fully current spec.

i'm currently moving from a very good AV Processor (a processor is an AVR without built in amps), the Anthem AV60, which does 7.1.4 (7 surround speakers, one subwoofer, and 4 ceiling speakers) and has room optimization software, to another better processor which does 9.1.6. so i will be selling my AV60. i'm not trying to sell you anything, just pointing out what is going on that you can take advantage of.

get educated and then get a good deal on someone's (barely used but nice) cast off.

good luck.

RDSChicago
December 6, 2020, 10:37 AM
Great advice, Mike. My home theater in the basement has all of the latest, greatest preprocessors and separate power amps. The room I’m talking about is a medium sized family room off the kitchen with rear surrounds built into the ceilings when re renovated 15 years ago. It was a cool renovation, as we were asked by HGTV to have our kitchen and family room renovation be aired on a show called Designers Challenge. It’s a 5.1 setup with a fabricated wall unit which was built for what today is a very small 50 inch TV. I love the room and don’t want to change the speakers or wall unit. So if I went for 4K OLED I’d only be doing so for the better picture of the display. The receiver works great and I don’t have the desire to move up to the latest greatest sound codecs. I’d still use the same speakers. I was told the issue is that with a 4K TV, I wouldn’t be able to optimize 4K with the older Elite receiver. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Mike Lavigne
December 6, 2020, 10:48 AM
Great advice, Mike. My home theater in the basement has all of the latest, greatest preprocessors and separate power amps. The room I’m talking about is a medium sized family room off the kitchen with rear surrounds built into the ceilings when re renovated 15 years ago. It was a cool renovation, as we were asked by HGTV to have our kitchen and family room renovation be aired on a show called Designers Challenge. It’s a 5.1 setup with a fabricated wall unit which was built for what today is a very small 50 inch TV. I love the room and don’t want to change the speakers or wall unit. So if I went for 4K OLED I’d only be doing so for the better picture of the display. The receiver works great and I don’t have the desire to move up to the latest greatest sound codecs. I’d still use the same speakers. I was told the issue is that with a 4K TV, I wouldn’t be able to optimize 4K with the older Elite receiver. Any thoughts or recommendations?

here are a few i would consider that will handle 4k.......

Anthem MRX1120 For Sale - US Audio Mart (https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649671596-anthem-mrx1120/)

that's a receiver version of my AV60. high quality and great sounding.

NEW IN UNOPENED BOX Denon AVR-X5200W 4K Ultra HD 9.2 Channel Network For Sale - US Audio Mart (https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649680080-new-in-unopened-box-denon-avr-x5200w-4k-ultra-hd-92-channel-network/)

you are not likely to find any modestly priced used AVR's without immersive codecs that also handle 4k properly. and even these 2 i'm not sure do the full HDR 4k stuff. in my HT i have a Lumagen Pro video processor that takes the video straight from my sources. so i have not paid close attention to the 4k limitations of processors. it's a moving target. you might consider not using the receiver for video switching. that does make whole family use more challenging.

RDSChicago
December 6, 2020, 11:32 AM
. you might consider not using the receiver for video switching. that does make whole family use more challenging.
Mike, I’m not technical. Are you saying just use optical audio out from the TV into the receiver?

Mike Lavigne
December 6, 2020, 12:14 PM
Mike, I’m not technical. Are you saying just use optical audio out from the TV into the receiver?

these days since most 4K TV's are 'smart' and lots of content is on line, just use the TV itself as the video source (plugged into your network......just plug it in, turn it on, and follow the prompts) and output the sound to your current AVR. even your cable box can be input to the TV directly and then to your AVR separately for sound......or the whole signal to the TV and the sound routed to the AVR; so your AVR can be easily bypassed for any 4K video.

my solution for my TV watching areas separate from my Home Theater is just to use the TV speakers; for my Sony 4K 65" OLED upstairs in my barn where i watch football.....the screen is the speakers. i recently retired a 12 year old Rotel Receiver which had been doing the sound for my 12 year old 50" Fujitsu plasma monitor. the Samsug 50" 4K that replaced it has it's own speakers; it's not as good sounding......but it's my family room and for casual watching and so the trade-off for ease of use was worth it.

that Rotel had a great amplifier; i may re-task it to do a few of the new channels in my expanded HT speaker count.