PDA

View Full Version : Here's a cool article my dealer sent me

johnthomas
August 2, 2013, 09:02 AM
The Audiophile Next Door Shows Off His Suburban Playground of Sound (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/07/wired-life-audiophile/)

Mike
August 2, 2013, 09:08 AM
Rockports.....hmmm....thanks for sharing.

johnthomas
August 2, 2013, 10:13 AM
Rockports.....hmmm....thanks for sharing.

I wasn't thinking speakers in the article. More that our equipment is like a fine wine with different levels of taste. :)

dlb2
August 2, 2013, 10:43 AM
The best part about the article was reading Fremer's comments at the bottom! :P

dlb2
August 2, 2013, 11:36 AM
I got a kick out of this statement too,

"If you want to be a player in today’s hi-fi scene, Grellman says that $100,000 will put you in low-end territory."

:facepalm:

I guess I'm living in the audio ghetto. :S

MDP
August 2, 2013, 12:13 PM

"If you want to be a player in today’s hi-fi scene, Grellman says that $100,000 will put you in low-end territory."

Me too !!

joeinid
August 2, 2013, 12:17 PM
At least the curtains are really nice. :)

Me too !!

sleepysurf
August 2, 2013, 02:28 PM
Michael Fremer really does perpetuate the "audiophile stereotype"! Not being a very good ambassador for Stereophile!

Petro85
August 2, 2013, 07:19 PM

Lmao!!!

iamhifi
August 2, 2013, 10:31 PM
I don't even want to add

iamhifi
August 2, 2013, 11:19 PM
Oh man the comments at the bottom, Michael Fremer was in a world of ignorant

asindc
August 3, 2013, 08:17 AM
The best part about the article was reading Fremer's comments at the bottom! :P

You beat me to it. Fremer was rude, but spot on. I always make the analogy with other hobbies to put it in perspective. Rarely does someone at least not get the point, if not entirely agree with it. It is somewhat baffling that no one thinks its strange for someone to pay close to 10K for a banged-up Harley and then put 10-15K into restoring it, but balks at the notion of spending 5K on a turntable.

Jeffkad
August 3, 2013, 10:26 AM
Man, so many ridiculous aspects to this article and the underlying comments from Fremer, etc. I don't want to be a "player", I want a good sounding system that makes me feel like the performers are in the room with me. It's pretty obnoxious to suggest 100k is the floor for a good system. More disgusting is Fremers incredibly insulting comments against other posters. I was cringing reading his stupid outbursts. He acts like a child. I mean really, how long has he been at this game to not know that there are always people with immovably opposite opinions, and yes, maybe even ignorant ones. Why not just take the high road instead of rolling immediately into the gutter and insulting everyone who isn't an audiophile and who doesn't share his beliefs. Not a very good ambassador for the audiophile community.

cmalak
August 3, 2013, 11:02 AM
Man, so many ridiculous aspects to this article and the underlying comments from Fremer, etc. I don't want to be a "player", I want a good sounding system that makes me feel like the performers are in the room with me. It's pretty obnoxious to suggest 100k is the floor for a good system. More disgusting is Fremers incredibly insulting comments against other posters. I was cringing reading his stupid outbursts. He acts like a child. I mean really, how long has he been at this game to not know that there are always people with immovably opposite opinions, and yes, maybe even ignorant ones. Why not just take the high road instead of rolling immediately into the gutter and insulting everyone who isn't an audiophile and who doesn't share his beliefs. Not a very good ambassador for the audiophile community.

I could not agree with you more.

iamhifi
August 3, 2013, 01:03 PM
I think that Michael Fremer was referring that in today value of money and inflation the lower end is 100K for an high end system, and at the bottom comments he was annoy at the ignorance, and yes there is a difference between 20K and 100K to 200K, can you be happy with a 2K system of course, but if you are in his shoes and heard so many TT, amps, speakers etc. he knows that higher end gear sounds better but let the ignorance of others get to him.

dlb2
August 3, 2013, 03:19 PM
You beat me to it. Fremer was rude, but spot on. I always make the analogy with other hobbies to put it in perspective. Rarely does someone at least not get the point, if not entirely agree with it. It is somewhat baffling that no one thinks its strange for someone to pay close to 10K for a banged-up Harley and then put 10-15K into restoring it, but balks at the notion of spending 5K on a turntable.

I hear you there. All my neighbors have the toys: Boats, campers, snowmobiles, ATV's, motorcycles, six cars for two people, etc... And I'm the crazy one because I have a, to them, crazy expensive stereo system. Go figure...