PDA

View Full Version : Unpacking the Shunyata Everest 8000

Mike
June 17, 2020, 05:38 PM
I have an Everest 8000 and Omega XC for home and one for the store.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200617/7f33acb38761596606a970cd61702618.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200617/7a0bdd05daf833b24f383c013c6db5d2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200617/f362f0c1b9298f1506b33b0c4d9fba60.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200617/1a46bc99799e7fadbae481ec5abc21fd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200617/886de99902e0c225c4e6ef047843db6a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200617/2414bb54dd6f112d16c2cf0482aeff98.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200617/5def5744182ea20e35ec608658ac184a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Puma Cat
June 17, 2020, 07:23 PM
I have an Everest 8000 and Omega XC for home and one for the store.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200617/7f33acb38761596606a970cd61702618.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200617/7a0bdd05daf833b24f383c013c6db5d2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200617/f362f0c1b9298f1506b33b0c4d9fba60.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200617/1a46bc99799e7fadbae481ec5abc21fd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200617/886de99902e0c225c4e6ef047843db6a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200617/2414bb54dd6f112d16c2cf0482aeff98.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200617/5def5744182ea20e35ec608658ac184a.jpg

Boy, are you in for a good time!...heheheh. ;)

Just don't place that bad boy directly on carpet. A nice maple or granite platform or an amp stand works a treat.

:D

Bar81
June 17, 2020, 08:01 PM
Just as pretty as the pictures. Super jealous. Enjoy!

BjornW
June 18, 2020, 03:38 AM
Slightly bigger than my Denali V2... :)
Looking forward hearing your initial impressions of the Everest vs Denali V2
//Björn

Edward
June 18, 2020, 06:49 AM
mike I like your crocs...

Mike
June 18, 2020, 07:57 AM
mike I like your crocs...

Ha! Those are my sons.

RLF
June 18, 2020, 10:39 PM
Mike. Your pictures look exactly what I got yesterday:

Everest + Omega XC which replaced my Denali 6000/v2 + Sigma v1 PC in my stereo system.

With only one day of use, these sound great already. Not sure how much better they will get with more burn-in?

I’ll be interested to hear your impressions as they break in.

Mike
June 18, 2020, 10:52 PM
Mike. Your pictures look exactly what I got yesterday:

Everest + Omega XC which replaced my Denali 6000/v2 + Sigma v1 PC in my stereo system.

With only one day of use, these sound great already. Not sure how much better they will get with more burn-in?

I’ll be interested to hear your impressions as they break in.

Congratulations! First impressions: incredible PRAT. I want to wait a week before doing more critical listening. That will be two weeks on the Omega XC too. But so far, AWESOME!

RLF
June 19, 2020, 09:59 PM
Congratulations! First impressions: incredible PRAT. I want to wait a week before doing more critical listening. That will be two weeks on the Omega XC too. But so far, AWESOME!

FWIW, Im running a fan though my Everest/Omega 24/7 when not playing music. What has impressed me so far over my Denali v2:+ Typhon QR + Sigma v1, is the dynamics and “perceived improved” timbre with the Everest + Omega XC with great recorded orchestral music.

Puma Cat
June 21, 2020, 02:02 PM
FWIW, Im running a fan though my Everest/Omega 24/7 when not playing music. What has impressed me so far over my Denali v2:+ Typhon QR + Sigma v1, is the dynamics and “perceived improved” timbre with the Everest + Omega XC with great recorded orchestral music.

Yup...good insights. One of things I find with the Everest is that I can hear the nuances of different instrumental timbres so clearly with Everest. For example, the differences between two different makes of pianos or violins. There is also this ability to hear the smalliest details and notes from individual instruments against the "background" of a full orchestra going hell bent for leather.

still-one
June 21, 2020, 02:04 PM

What do you have connected to the Everest. Just front end or amps too?

Puma Cat
June 21, 2020, 02:08 PM

I'm connecting my amp to mine, Jim. Love it. But, I use a tube amp.

If I had monos in a rack, I'd use the "pairs of isolated outlets" either Zone 1 or Zone 6, but most likely the outlets at Zone 6 since they are at the bottom of Everest.

Amps in particular really benefit from the QR/BB device in Everest (or Denali or Typhon QR).

Mike
June 21, 2020, 02:08 PM

MBL 6010D Pre
Aurender W20SE
Aurender ACS10
MBL N31 CD/DAC
Studer 810
Doshi Tape Pre V3
VAC Statement Phono
Turntable

I’m a believer in amps to the wall. I’ve heard all the blah blah blah, but for me, amps to the wall sounds more dynamic. The only amps are like into a conditioner are tube amps, especially tube amps. Plus, my amps take four power cables! They need ‘da juice!

still-one
June 21, 2020, 02:42 PM
MBL 6010D Pre
Aurender W20SE
Aurender ACS10
MBL N31 CD/DAC
Studer 810
Doshi Tape Pre V3
VAC Statement Phono
Turntable

I’m a believer in amps to the wall. I’ve heard all the blah blah blah, but for me, amps to the wall sounds more dynamic. The only amps are like into a conditioner are tube amps, especially tube amps. Plus, my amps take four power cables! They need ‘da juice!

I was guessing that your amps weren't plugged into the Everest based on Caelin's response to me #21 in the "Shunyata Research Announces Everest" thread. That is pretty impressive from your initial response of PRAT with just your front end connected. Looking for more comments.

CGabriel
June 21, 2020, 03:49 PM
I was guessing that your amps weren't plugged into the Everest based on Caelin's response to me #21 in the "Shunyata Research Announces Everest" thread. That is pretty impressive from your initial response of PRAT with just your front end connected. Looking for more comments.

whether to plug the amp(s) into the Everest has more to do with the number of power circuits that you have available.

if you only have one power circuit available for the audio system, plug them into the Everest. If you have two (or more) dedicated lines, then plug the Everest and source equipment into one line and use the other line for the amp(s).

if you use very high power amplifiers (above 200 watts per channel) you should install a second dedicated line for best performance. For these type amplifiers use an Alpha, Sigma or Omega NR power cord direct to the wall or with the Typhon QR.

BjornW
June 21, 2020, 03:54 PM
whether to plug the amp(s) into the Everest has more to do with the number of power circuits that you have available.

if you only have one power circuit available for the audio system, plug them into the Everest. If you have two (or more) dedicated lines, then plug the Everest and source equipment into one line and use the other line for the amp(s).

if you use very power amplifiers (above 200 watts per channel) you should install a second dedicated line for best performance. For these type amplifiers use an Alpha, Sigma or Omega NR power cord direct to the wall or with the Typhon QR.

Cailin, I am using a Devialet D250 Expert Pro connected to a Denali V2 using Sigma XC from the wall socket and Sigma NR V2 from the Denali to the amp - would I benfit from exchanging my Denali to a Everest in your opinion?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

CGabriel
June 21, 2020, 04:18 PM
The Everest can accept input from a power circuit rated for 30 amps of current so it is more than capable of handling all of you equipment, including amplifiers.

And to those with opinions based on other power conditioners - I would ask that you suspend judgement and try the Everest - even with your amplifiers. And don’t judge the Everest based upon your experience with anything other than a Sigma XC or Omega XC power cord.

Bar81
June 21, 2020, 04:21 PM
The Everest can accept input from a power circuit rated for 30 amps of current so it is more than capable of handling all of you equipment, including amplifiers.

And to those with have opinions based on other power conditioners - I would ask that you suspend judgement and try the Everest - even with your amplifiers. And don’t judge the Everest based upon your experience with anything other than a Sigma XC or Omega XC.

If you feel that strongly that any other PCs are "illegitimate" for lack of a better word with the Everest, why isn't a Sigma XC included with the Everest (with Omega XC as an upgrade option)?

u-sound
June 21, 2020, 04:28 PM
just wanted to ask what about an omega-everest bundle....

the other question: if we use the amp on the everest, should it be plugged into nr.1 / nr.6 or into the other zone?

CGabriel
June 21, 2020, 04:36 PM
just wanted to ask what about an omega-everest bundle....

the other question: if we use the amp on the everest, should it be plugged into nr.1 / nr.6 or into the other zone?

i plug amps into zone 6. Isolation between amps is less important than isolation between source equipment especially digital devices.

Puma Cat
June 21, 2020, 04:49 PM
If you feel that strongly that any other PCs are "illegitimate" for lack of a better word with the Everest, why isn't a Sigma XC included with the Everest (with Omega XC as an upgrade option)?

Probably because some (or perhaps many) folks already own a Sigma XC or Omega XC for their current PDs? ;)

Just a side note: a Sigma XC lets a Denali V2 function to its full potential, also. Highly recommended for Denali V2. 👍

CGabriel
June 21, 2020, 04:55 PM

The Everest represents our ultimate expression for a power conditioning component. If you want good enough, choose one of our lower level conditioners. If you want the best, you should match it with the cords that allow it to deliver its full potential.

Why not package it with a dedicated cord. Because our dealer base and customers would complain bitterly and then want to know what it would cost if we did a power delete option. Other reasons below.

1) The Everest was designed using the Sigma and Omega power cords. I don’t know of any power that can match their capability when used with the Everest.

2) Many people have prior versions of our power cords and will want to use them for monetary reasons. Of course they will work just fine but they will not experience the full potential of the Everest. Perhaps they can upgrade the cords at a later date.

3) Some people have other very expensive power cables that they may want to try or to use. I have no control over what they do. I can only make recommendations based upon what I know.

JMO and YMMV and all the qualifiers.

Bar81
June 21, 2020, 04:55 PM
Probably because some folks already own a Sigma XC or Omega XC for their current PDs...

Shunyata can't have it both ways - either (1) only Sigma XC/Omega XC work "properly" with the Everest - in which case one of those PCs should be included with Everest (and the Everest retail of $8k is very misleading) or (2) no power cable is included with Everest which means that a comparison using a power cable other than the Sigma XC/Omega XC is valid to evaluate the performance of the Everest.

Bar81
June 21, 2020, 05:03 PM
The Everest represents our ultimate expression for a power conditioning component. If you want good enough, choose one of our lower level conditioners. If you want the best, you should match it with the cords that allow it to deliver its full potential.

Why not package it with a dedicated cord. Because our dealer base and customers would complain bitterly and then want to know what it would cost if we did a power delete option. Other reasons below.

1) The Everest was designed using the Sigma and Omega power cords. I don’t know of any power that can match their capability when used with the Everest.

2) Many people have prior versions of our power cords and will want to use them for monetary reasons. Of course they will work just fine but they will not experience the full potential of the Everest. Perhaps they can upgrade the cords at a later date.

3) Some people have other very expensive power cables that they may want to try or to use. I have no control over what they do. I can only make recommendations based upon what I know.

JMO and YMMV and all the qualifiers.

Thanks. Where I was having an issue was with the comment that the Everest cannot be properly evaluated without a specific cable - that was a statement I've never seen from Shunyata before. It sounds like rather than that, what Shunyata is saying is that it recommends a particular cable with Everest that it feels provides the best performance - which is fine. However, not using that cable does not mean that a consumer's comments about Everest are not valid.

CGabriel
June 21, 2020, 05:04 PM
Sounds like you are trying to pick a fight?

They are just my opinions and suggestions. You can accept or reject them as you wish.

And I never used your quotation words, “illegitimate” or “properly”. So maybe you are reading something into my statements that aren’t there. If you reread what I said, I was quite precise in what I actually did say in spite of how you re-interpreted it.

Bar81
June 21, 2020, 05:12 PM
Sounds like you are trying to pick a fight?

They are just my opinions and suggestions. You can accept or reject them as you wish.

And I never used your quotation words, “illegitimate” or “properly”. So maybe you are reading something into my statements that aren’t there. If you reread what I said, I was quite precise in what I actually did say in spite of how you re-interpreted it.

Not at all. As you saw in my response, I was looking for clarity in respect of your earlier comment:

"And don’t judge the Everest based upon your experience with anything other than a Sigma XC or Omega XC power cord."

That statement on its face is consistent with my comments; I'm not sure why you're getting upset with me or claiming that I'm twisting your words.

u-sound
June 21, 2020, 05:41 PM
hey bar81, no need for overly sharp perspectives.
i think it is very very cool for us here to answer&question with a manufactor directly.

Bar81
June 21, 2020, 05:55 PM
The only reason I raised this is that I am evaluating an Everest shortly for purchase and I was caught off guard by that comment as I have no intention of evaluating the Everest (at least at this time) if I need to spend another $3,500+ on a PC as part of the evaluation. Once Caelin responded, I understood that the comment was not intended as written and I expected that that would be it until I was accused of being nasty which was not my intent (although it appears that I am too "direct" for some people's liking as Mike has similarly taken another of my comments to be nasty when it was not intended as such). To me, the value of having manufacturers on the forum is in large part their knowledge and singular expertise in respect of their products (which Caelin has demonstrated many times and which has helped me in purchasing many Shunyata products) - so when a manufacturer make a statement about their product, it carries a lot of weight with me and I want to make sure I understand it.

I'll show myself out now since it seems I'm no longer welcome.

u-sound
June 21, 2020, 06:11 PM
i think your explanation is very welcome and understandable. take my apologize as i understood your intention a little harsh as well. same things happens to everybody.
lets shake hands and move on.

CGabriel
June 21, 2020, 08:59 PM
Not at all. As you saw in my response, I was looking for clarity in respect of your earlier comment:

"And don’t judge the Everest based upon your experience with anything other than a Sigma XC or Omega XC power cord."

That statement on its face is consistent with my comments; I'm not sure why you're getting upset with me or claiming that I'm twisting your words.

No worries friend. We all can sometimes be misinterpreted with brief messages.

RLF
June 21, 2020, 11:48 PM
I’ve had my Everest + Omega XC since Wednesday which replaced my Denali 6000S v2 + Typhon QR + Sigma v1, and all that I can say is that I am a bit spellbound with the improvement even though the Denali is excellent. My monoblock amps remain on their own dedicated 20 AC lines plugged directly into the wall outlets with all my other gear plugged into the Everest on my other dedicated AC line.

As I have written before, I am planing on trying the Typhon with my Everest once the Sigma v2 umbilical arrives, but now that that I’ve heard the Everest + Omega as it breaks in, I’m wondering if it is even worth trying as the Everest + Omega is sooo sooo good; at least in my system. If by chance, the Typhon appears to enhance the Everest, then maybe an Omega umbilical might be more appropriate than the Sigma v2 umbilical although that will drive the price up even further??

Caelin, do you have any thoughts about using a Typhon QR in conjunction with the Everest?

RLF
June 21, 2020, 11:59 PM
I’ve had my Everest + Omega XC since Wednesday which replaced my Denali 6000S v2 + Typhon QR + Sigma v1, and all that I can say is that I am a bit spellbound with the improvement even though the Denali is excellent. My monoblock amps remain on their own dedicated 20 AC lines plugged directly into the wall outlets with all my other gear plugged into the Everest on my other dedicated AC line.

As I have written before, I am planing on trying my Typhon with my Everest once the Sigma v2 umbilical arrives, but now that that I’ve heard the Everest + Omega as it breaks in, I’m wondering if it is even worth trying as the Everest + Omega is sooo sooo good; at least in my system. If by chance, the Typhon appears to enhance the Everest, then maybe an Omega umbilical might be more appropriate than the Sigma v2 umbilical although that will drive the price up even further??

Caelin, although listening is the only way to know, do you have any thoughts about using a Typhon QR in conjunction with the Everest as the Typhon was specifically made for the now discontinued Triton?

CGabriel
June 22, 2020, 12:42 AM

As I have written before, I am planing on trying the Typhon with my Everest once the Sigma v2 umbilical arrives, but now that that I’ve heard the Everest + Omega as it breaks in, I’m wondering if it is even worth trying as the Everest + Omega is sooo sooo good; at least in my system. If by chance, the Typhon appears to enhance the Everest, then maybe an Omega umbilical might be more appropriate than the Sigma v2 umbilical although that will drive the price up even further??

Caelin, do you have any thoughts about using a Typhon QR in conjunction with the Everest?

Well, since you have it, it is worth trying. Since you have a separate dedicated line for the amps the Typhon QR would be best used with amps. You can plug it in parallel to the amps instead of in series.

Personally, I prefer the Everest a cappella. No seasonings.

Puma Cat
June 22, 2020, 12:46 AM
...but now that that I’ve heard the Everest + Omega as it breaks in, I’m wondering if it is even worth trying as the Everest + Omega is sooo sooo good; at least in my system.

I don't think it would be worth the hassle...IMHO, simpler is better. Kinda like the old Linn-Sondek mantra.

But I agree, that as good as Denali is...Everest is quite amazing.

UltraFast69
June 22, 2020, 12:11 PM
Well, since you have it, it is worth trying. Since you have a separate dedicated line for the amps the Typhon QR would be best used with amps. You can plug it in parallel to the amps instead of in series.

Never heard cappella described in this manner, like the use of the word

RLF
June 22, 2020, 12:38 PM

Caelin, Thank you for your reply and your thoughts. Yeah, after experiencing the Everest/Omega XC, I don’t think that I want to mess with something that sounds so good, although I guess that I don’t have anything to loose by trying my Typhon with it just for fun.

I would certainly go with your recommendation to try the Typhon with my amps, but since they are mono-blocks, I would need another Typhon for the second amp.

I do have a separate dedicated home theater room which has a Triton V3 powering the audio end in there. I don’t have any room in my rack for the Typhon, but I’m somehow going to try to stuff it behind the rack. If I can manage to find enough room behind the rack, that might be the best place for it.

RLF
June 22, 2020, 12:50 PM
I don't think it would be worth the hassle...IMHO, simpler is better. Kinda like the old Linn-Sondek mantra.

But I agree, that as good as Denali is...Everest is quite amazing.

Thanks for your input. That’s my thoughts too. To try the Typhon in my stereo, I would have to power everything down including my music server and then move power cords around in a “tight” spot behind my audio rack. The “KISS” (Keep It Simple Stupid) theory comes to mind here.:D

As to the Everest, Awesome comes to mind. Also finesse!

RLF
June 22, 2020, 01:05 PM
Since you have a separate dedicated line for the amps the Typhon QR would be best used with amps. You can plug it in parallel to the amps instead of in series.

Hi Caelin, one quick question: What do you mean by “plug it in parallel to the amps instead of series?” I only have one duplex for the my amps, so I don’t see how a single Denali would work in that application? Thanks.

BlueFox
June 22, 2020, 02:29 PM
Hi Caelin, one quick question: What do you mean by “plug it in parallel to the amps instead of series?” I only have one duplex for the my amps, so I don’t see how a single Denali would work in that application? Thanks.

I suspect he means plug the amp into one socket, and the Typhon into the other socket. If you have two amps plugged into one socket then you can't run the Typhon like that. The Denali and Typhon are two different pieces of gear.

CGabriel
June 22, 2020, 03:47 PM
Never heard cappella described in this manner, like the use of the word

without accompaniment

CGabriel
June 22, 2020, 03:52 PM

You would need a quad-plex outlet to do it.
or two TQRs, one for each amp and all the corresponding power cords required.
so this is an awesome setup but you have 2 large heavy chassis and multiple power cords that need to be exceptional.

Pretty much this is exactly why I created the Omega QR.
one cord to wall. Has a QR/BB in it and NR noise reduction.

RLF
June 22, 2020, 05:29 PM
You would need a quad-plex outlet to do it.
or two TQRs, one for each amp and all the corresponding power cords required.
so this is an awesome setup but you have 2 large heavy chassis and multiple power cords that need to be exceptional.

Pretty much this is exactly why I created the Omega QR.
one cord to wall. Has a QR/BB in it and NR noise reduction.

Indeed, the Omega QRs are on my short list to audition with my amps. Bet they would sound amazing with them, but I “gotta” save my lunch money first as these aren’t inexpensive.

CGabriel
June 22, 2020, 06:11 PM
Indeed, the Omega QRs are on my short list to audition with my amps. Bet they would sound amazing with them, but I “gotta” save my lunch money first as these aren’t inexpensive.

i hear you buddy. We all have to watch the budget. One big thing at a time. The Everest is the big leap in performance.

dbs1217
June 22, 2020, 11:34 PM
Hi Caelin-
Quick question for you. Sorry to deviate on the Everest thread. I just purchased a Denali v2 from Suncoast and some alpha NRv2 and sigma NRv2. I will be running a Sigma Analog between the wall and the Denali, and a Sigma NR v2 and 2x Alpha NRv2s from the Denali to my amp, pre, and DAC.

Moving forward, which would be a more beneficial use of funds? Selling the Sigma Analog and upgrading to the 20amp Sigma XC, or buying another Alpha NRv2 for one of my other components (dcs Rossini clock, external crossover, or CD transport all of which are currently using Transparent powerlink mm2 power cords).
Thanks in advance and congrats on the Everest 8000. It looks amazing.

Dave

kzhtoo
June 23, 2020, 12:20 AM
i hear you buddy. We all have to watch the budget. One big thing at a time. The Everest is the big leap in performance.

Only if mine gets shipped soon enough..[emoji6]

CGabriel
June 23, 2020, 12:28 AM
Hi Caelin-
Quick question for you. Sorry to deviate on the Everest thread. I just purchased a Denali v2 from Suncoast and some alpha NRv2 and sigma NRv2. I will be running a Sigma Analog between the wall and the Denali, and a Sigma NR v2 and 2x Alpha NRv2s from the Denali to my amp, pre, and DAC.

Moving forward, which would be a more beneficial use of funds? Selling the Sigma Analog and upgrading to the 20amp Sigma XC, or buying another Alpha NRv2 for one of my other components (dcs Rossini clock, external crossover, or CD transport all of which are currently using Transparent powerlink mm2 power cords).
Thanks in advance and congrats on the Everest 8000. It looks amazing.

Dave

upgrade the cable from the wall to the Denali

You have a nice dCS system. Your profile doesn’t mention what you are using for digital cables. Those are most likely the weakest link in your cabling system.

brodricj
June 23, 2020, 07:20 AM
...The Everest is the big leap in performance.

Would that finding be system dependent? Why I ask is, my system sounds no different with Denali v1 than without. Whether to upgrade to Denali v2 or Everest would be a leap of faith given Denali v1 didn't bring anything noticeable to the party.

CGabriel
June 23, 2020, 09:46 AM
Would that finding be system dependent? Why I ask is, my system sounds no different with Denali v1 than without. Whether to upgrade to Denali v2 or Everest would be a leap of faith given Denali v1 didn't bring anything noticeable to the party.

Compared to what?

I am going to assume that you are engaging in a bit of hyperbole when you say “no” difference. Every power distributor and power cord has a sound that is different. So there must be a reason you can’t hear differences. When people have said this in the past it usually is caused by one of the following.

1) Poor speaker setup and or no acoustic treatment. The poor acoustics obscure timing and imaging to such a degree that it is difficult to discern equipment changes. I have seen some of your posts about things you hear so I don’t know about this as a cause. Only you would know.

2) The person is not sensitive to power equipment changes. Some people are very good at hearing differences in frequency response as with speakers but are insensitive to noise or transient response. Power conditioners and power cords primarily affect uncorrelated noise and transient response.

3) A specific power component does not function in isolation to the other power components in the system. Each component affects the performance of the other components in the system even components that are in parallel to one another. You don’t mention what power cord you are using to feed the Denali. That is critical to the overall performance of the Denali. A power cord of insufficient gauge or one that has high levels of inductance will inhibit DTCD. This is like installing a highly restrictive intake on a high performance engine. It chokes the air supply of the engine and in the case of the Denali (entire system really) it chokes off instantaneous current.

4) The Denali has been placed on a carpet. Power conditioners sound dull and muffled when placed on a carpet. Put it on a proper shelf or if a tower version put a plank of granite, hard wood or amp stand below it.

RE: Denali v1 versus Denali v2
Yes differences in performance is quite large between the two generations.

I hope this helps,

brodricj
June 23, 2020, 10:03 AM
No hyperbole. I try Sigma Clock-50, noticeable improvement over the Mexcel 7N-DA6100. I try Sigma AES-EBU, noticeable improvement over a Mogami digital. I try a Denali v1, I just don't hear it, better or worse. The Denali v1 is on a solid surface, connected to the wall with a PS Audio AC-10.

Rnrmf
June 23, 2020, 10:26 AM
No hyperbole. I try Sigma Clock-50, noticeable improvement over the Mexcel 7N-DA6100. I try Sigma AES-EBU, noticeable improvement over a Mogami digital. I try a Denali v1, I just don't hear it, better or worse. The Denali v1 is on a solid surface, connected to the wall with a PS Audio AC-10.

Just curious, if you remove the Denali v1, what do you plug the components into?

Having owned some of PS Audio AC-10 and AC-12, I suggest that cable is seriously restricting performance whatever you plug into it.

brodricj
June 23, 2020, 10:29 AM
A direct swap. PS Audio Dectet for a Denali v1.

Rnrmf
June 23, 2020, 10:49 AM
A direct swap. PS Audio Dectet for a Denali v1.

If I were trying to access the performance of the Denali and PS Audio, and knowing how the PS Audio AC-10 performs, I'd suggest a couple of things.

Remove the AC-10 from the equation - it's uneven with the way it presents frequencies. What it does to the sound is heavy handed and unmusical in my experience. It acts like a filter to me. Swap in another power cable to replace the AC-10 or...

Try to test by plugging in components direct to the wall versus the Denali or Dectet ... or if you aren't able to reach your outlets, get an unfiltered power strip to serve as control along with a basic, stock all copper 10 or 12 gauge power cable. Both those things are cheap on Amazon, here in the USA, or you could even get an industrial extension cord at home repair place like Home Depot.

Puma Cat
June 23, 2020, 01:18 PM

Just curious, what are the power cords you're using to power components connected to Denali?

brodricj
June 23, 2020, 02:55 PM
Mostly the older PS Audio xStream Prelude or AC-3 power cables.

Rnrmf
June 23, 2020, 04:09 PM
Mostly the older PS Audio xStream Prelude or AC-3 power cables.

Before I'd even consider dropping coin on the Everest or Denali V2, consider upgrading the PS Audio power cables on all or at least your core audio gear. You'll get a big upgrade in terms of accurate sound.
Sell the Denali and Dectet if you really don't need them elsewhere in your system, too.

Look at the latest Venom, Delta, Alpha, or Sigma or even last generation Sigma. I owned the last Sigma NR and it's a GREAT, balanced sounding cable - the best Shunyata cable I've heard. I'd recommend that all day long. Audition or add the Shunyata Everest or Denali V2 after that.

My criticism with the PS Audio power cables is that all those different size, shape, and material conductors probably act as a filter on the electricity and as crazy as it sounds to non-audiophiles, we hear that it changes the sound from our audio systems. You've probably looked at how different the Shunyata cables are constructed versus the PS Audio and there's a reason for that. You'll get a more balanced sound without major dips or peaks, with the Shunyata, in my experience.

Crion
June 23, 2020, 05:10 PM
XC version, alpha or sigma before even looking at the Everest. Climbing without the proper wall cable is futile and will not secure the summit, it’s really that simple.

brodricj
June 23, 2020, 07:30 PM
..Look at the latest Venom, Delta, Alpha, or Sigma or even last generation Sigma.... Audition or add the Shunyata Everest or Denali V2 after that.

I need to make a 3 inch radius 90 degree bend so that probably counts out Alpha/Sigma. Venom is also counted out due to length, they are only available in 1.5m, right? Auditions are not possible in my market, the local dealer does not stock any Shunyata products.

Puma Cat
June 23, 2020, 08:36 PM
I need to make a 3 inch radius 90 degree bend so that probably counts out Alpha/Sigma. Venom is also counted out due to length, they are only available in 1.5m, right? Auditions are not possible in my market, the local dealer does not stock any Shunyata products.

The new Alpha and Sigmas are super flexible, so that bend will not be a problem.

brodricj
June 23, 2020, 08:38 PM
How long is the barrel of the alpha/sigma? The barrel length needs to be included in that 3 inch bend. So if the barrel is 2 inches long I need to make a 1 inch radius 90 degree bend.

Rnrmf
June 23, 2020, 10:11 PM
How long is the barrel of the alpha/sigma? The barrel length needs to be included in that 3 inch bend. So if the barrel is 2 inches long I need to make a 1 inch radius 90 degree bend.

Unique problems.... Is the audio gear in a closet?
As I recall, the PS Audio barrel isn't small and the cord is stiff as hell. Shunyata is soooo much more flexible as Puma says. Actually one of the most flexible if not the most of what I've owned.

brodricj
June 23, 2020, 10:50 PM
Unique problems.... Is the audio gear in a closet?

3 inches is the clearance below a Halcro power amplifier. A PS Audio Prelude or AC-3 power cable has a short enough barrel and enough flex to make the bend. Any of the higher spec cables won't make the bend radius.

BlueFox
June 23, 2020, 11:08 PM
3 inches is the clearance below a Halcro power amplifier. A PS Audio Prelude or AC-3 power cable has a short enough barrel and enough flex to make the bend. Any of the higher spec cables won't make the bend radius.

Interesting. AC port on the bottom. I suspect an ordinary power cable works loose over time. My Shunyata cables should be able to meet that curve, and stay very snug. I suspect the new Shunyata cables are at least as flexible, if not more.

Rnrmf
June 23, 2020, 11:12 PM
That's interesting.

Looking at it, though, I think you might be able to use from Sigma NR v1 down the line. I think they might be in the same ballpark as the PS Audio but with more flexibility.
The barrels on Sigma V2 aka Reference and Omega could be a touch too big.

If memory serves me, I've read you write that no dealer near you has a Shunyata cable for you to investigate this but maybe somebody could take a pic of their IEC with the cable bent and a ruler for scale.

brodricj
June 23, 2020, 11:14 PM
No. Ordinary power cables won't work loose. The IEC inlet connector on that amp has a tight fit. Certainly any after-market power cables can't be removed unless the amp is tilted to remove its weight off the cable.

brodricj
June 23, 2020, 11:16 PM
...but maybe somebody could take a pic of their IEC with the cable bent and a ruler for scale.
Yes, if anyone could do that for me would be most helpful.

BlueFox
June 23, 2020, 11:24 PM
What is over the amp? If nothing then place it on a brick for a couple more inches of clearance.

brodricj
June 23, 2020, 11:31 PM
..If nothing then place it on a brick for a couple more inches of clearance.

That is not possible. If the amps were any higher they would infringe the line of sight of the projection screen.

BlueFox
June 23, 2020, 11:43 PM
Okay. You need two systems. One for music, and one for HT. :)

Seriously, my HT center channel sits a few inches above the bottom of the screen, and I never notice it.

brodricj
June 23, 2020, 11:52 PM
I do have two systems but they share the same main speakers/power amps. Switching between HT and music is via HT bypass.

BlueFox
June 24, 2020, 12:19 AM
Also, now that I think of it, if possible subs should be off to the side, not in front of the screen.

brodricj
June 24, 2020, 12:28 AM
A single sub below the center of the screen works fine in my room. 31 inches is the maximum height without infringing the sight line to the bottom of the projection area. I'm using a stock C19 power cable with my sub to the Denali V1. I wasn't contemplating using an after-market cable for that.

Four x Alpha v2 power cables = Everest. Hard to wrap my head around the equation...
option 1: use the same cables I presently have with Everest,
option 2: four new Alpha's with Denali v1.
Price is about the same for both.

Crion
June 24, 2020, 01:40 AM
Option 3: Sigma XC to wall (you need it for Everest anyway), Alpha v2 NR for preamp and a source. Ask Caelin about the 3 inch clearance amps and custom lengths.

The amp problem masks IMHO the most important problem which is the Denali to wall cable.

brodricj
June 24, 2020, 01:44 AM
Denali to wall cable is easy. Except it needs to be 3m long. Which fits into the expensive equation when you compare to the cost of Everest. We're now talking three power cables for the cost of Everest. Makes the Everest option appear great value.

BlueFox
June 24, 2020, 04:22 AM
A single sub below the center of the screen works fine in my room. 31 inches is the maximum height without infringing the sight line to the bottom of the projection area. I'm using a stock C19 power cable with my sub to the Denali V1. I wasn't contemplating using an after-market cable for that.

I thought we were talking about the Halcro power amp?

Crion
June 24, 2020, 04:34 AM
Denali to wall cable is easy. Except it needs to be 3m long. Which fits into the expensive equation when you compare to the cost of Everest. We're now talking three power cables for the cost of Everest. Makes the Everest option appear great value.

What makes you think that upgrading a Denali to Everest would offset a Sigma XC to wall?

brodricj
June 24, 2020, 06:47 AM
I thought we were talking about the Halcro power amp?

We were but somewhere we slightly drifted to subwoofers. It turns out my sub is the same height as the Halcro, 31 inches. I contemplated using an Audioquest right angle adapter which will get me another inch or 2 of bend radius under the Halcro.

Rnrmf
June 24, 2020, 10:29 AM

For my priorities, power cables make a more meaningful difference to the sound than power distributors/conditioners, which isn't saying the distributor/conditioner doesn't contribute benefits that enhance or refine the overall presentation to varying degrees from major to minor. My Triton V3 was ethereal and I miss it in my system. I can only imagine what the latest Shunyata distributors do.
But power cables, in my experience, directly impact the tone, focus, and depth of sound and create a foundation one can add a distributor/conditioner to afterward.

bernardl
June 24, 2020, 05:34 PM
The obvious conclusion is that you should replace your Halcro power amp by something else making it easier to indulge to power cable temptations... :-)

Cheers,
Bernard

brodricj
June 24, 2020, 07:44 PM
The obvious conclusion is that you should replace your Halcro power amp by something else...

Sure. The moment somebody builds a better power amp I will!

Bruce
June 24, 2020, 08:10 PM
The obvious conclusion is that you should replace your Halcro power amp by something else making it easier to indulge to power cable temptations... :-)

Cheers,
Bernard

Sorry, here I sorta agree with the Poster--If it was me I'd look at changing the Halcros--I've had friends with those Amps and they've lasted all of a couple of months
in their systems--with your excellent ancillary gear you can do much better--IMHO;)

I see you are in Australia--being local don't they have a "Cult" status there and fetch top resale?

Good luck,

Bruce

brodricj
June 24, 2020, 08:41 PM
Halcro offered me a very good changeover price on their new Eclipse mono power amplifier, which is in the same chassis as all those which came before it. Its pairing with the Magico M3 is an impressive combination, as it was with Magico Q3 and S3 which I also own, and Wilson speakers before that. I wouldn't say it ever had a cult status following in Australia. It was primarily pitched at the Asian markets, hence the model numbers for the whole series ending in an "8", and their top dog being "88". I've owned Halcro dm38, 78 and 88 and I've been happy with all of them. I've powered Halcro with a PS Audio P10, Denali v1, with different power cables, direct to the wall, I don't hear any difference. It seems to be completely agnostic as to how/where it gets its electricity from. And mine is a tremendously revealing system, which as I mentioned before, very easy to "hear" cables of various flavors elsewhere in the system. Which is why I have my doubts whether Alpha/Sigma/Everest or whatever would be any different. Unfortunately I can't demo anything Shunyata, the way it works is you order, pay for it, and it will arrive a few weeks later. No returns unless faulty, and as we know, Shunyata doesn't build anything faulty! (unlike another brand which I once owned).

Bruce
June 25, 2020, 12:10 AM
Halcro offered me a very good changeover price on their new Eclipse mono power amplifier, which is in the same chassis as all those which came before it. Its pairing with the Magico M3 is an impressive combination, as it was with Magico Q3 and S3 which I also own, and Wilson speakers before that. I wouldn't say it ever had a cult status following in Australia. It was primarily pitched at the Asian markets, hence the model numbers for the whole series ending in an "8", and their top dog being "88". I've owned Halcro dm38, 78 and 88 and I've been happy with all of them. I've powered Halcro with a PS Audio P10, Denali v1, with different power cables, direct to the wall, I don't hear any difference. It seems to be completely agnostic as to how/where it gets its electricity from. And mine is a tremendously revealing system, which as I mentioned before, very easy to "hear" cables of various flavors elsewhere in the system. Which is why I have my doubts whether Alpha/Sigma/Everest or whatever would be any different. Unfortunately I can't demo anything Shunyata, the way it works is you order, pay for it, and it will arrive a few weeks later. No returns unless faulty, and as we know, Shunyata doesn't build anything faulty! (unlike another brand which I once owned).

Ah Indeed fair enough great know the Brand works for you, and yes that's a top level setup you have--Good listening.

No Shunyata cables are excellent and superbly made as is all their products-

-if I was to quibble the only item I'd like improved is that SRZ20 adaptor which could do with a firmer fit in the IEC input--my two wobble and I have to tape them in

Just a nitpick tho:P!

Bruce

nonesup
June 25, 2020, 06:08 PM
if you only have one power circuit available for the audio system, plug them into the Everest. If you have two (or more) dedicated lines, then plug the Everest and source equipment into one line and use the other line for the amp(s). I did the test today, and I am sorry I disagree with you. I have two dedicated 20 Amp lines. and 230 volt. Denali is plugged into one and the other is free. If I remove my amp (200wat at 8Ohm / 400 Watt at 4 Ohm) from the Denali and plug it in on the other line, I get no improvement in dynamics yet I lose the magic that Denali gives.

Mike
June 25, 2020, 06:08 PM
If I had just stopped at the Denali 6000s/V2, I would consider the improvement to be significant. But the Everest 8000 takes the benefits achieved from the Denali 6000s/V2 to another level.

My Omega XC has been burning in for over 2 weeks now and the Everest 8000 has a solid week of 24/7 now.

Today I sat down for a first critical listen. I started with Joni Mitchell’s Lady of the Canyon (24/192). This is an album I use frequently to test. On some systems, the Hammond B3 on “Woodstock” and her voice can sound shrill, edgy. The Hammond can sound thin, but with the Everest/Omega XC leading the way, the Hammond has the right amount of “weight” and her voice is fully fleshed out and natural.

Next up, I moved to Drew Holcomb & The Neighbors playing the John Prime song, “Long Monday” on the album “Through The Night: Live In The Studio”. Separating the vocals of Drew and his wife Ellie is no easy task for a system. Often, her sweet voice can get lost in the mix or entirely drowned out by Drew. With the Everest 8000/Omega XC combo in the system, I could clearly distinguish between husband and wife with much greater separation and clarity.

I moved on to a similar album, entitled Forest Floor by Ocie Elliott, another fabulous duo from Victoria, B.C. Canada consisting of Jon Middleton and Sierra Lundy. Once again the Everest 8000 with the Omega XC provided wonderfully black backgrounds which allowed Sierra’s sweet soft voice to shine through.

I continued with Led Zeppelin, Coda, “Hey Hey What Can I Do” (High Res, 2012 Remaster). Although the digital versions, regardless of remaster or not cannot touch the Classic Records versions, which were the last time the tapes were touched, I still greatly enjoyed what the Everest/Omega XC combo brought to the table, filling out the soundstage and taking additional digital edge off things, while providing a wonderful bass foundation. Symbols were also more realistic sounding and less “splashy”.

There is little surprise that the Shunyata Everest 8000 and Omega XC combo has taken my entire system up a notch...or two. If you stop at the Denali 6000S/v2 you will be one happy camper, I know I was. If you step up to the Everest 8000 and either a Sigma XC or Omega XC there will be no looking back.

CGabriel
June 25, 2020, 06:22 PM
I did the test today, and I am sorry I disagree with you. I have two dedicated 20 Amp lines. and 230 volt. Denali is plugged into one and the other is free. If I remove my amp (200wat at 8Ohm / 400 Watt at 4 Ohm) from the Denali and plug it in on the other line, I get no improvement in dynamics yet I lose the magic that Denali gives.

Good for you for doing your own test. And good that you “know” that it sounds best through the Denali.

kennyb123
June 26, 2020, 01:39 AM
I did the test today, and I am sorry I disagree with you. I have two dedicated 20 Amp lines. and 230 volt. Denali is plugged into one and the other is free. If I remove my amp (200wat at 8Ohm / 400 Watt at 4 Ohm) from the Denali and plug it in on the other line, I get no improvement in dynamics yet I lose the magic that Denali gives.

I have a Denali v1 and have done this test several times. Each time the result is the same: Spectral amp prefers having a dedicated circuit to itself. The better my system gets the more obvious that the amp doesn’t sound as good plugged into the Denali. So many variables though - you did the right thing to let your ears decide.

BlueFox
June 26, 2020, 01:47 AM
Both of my amps have their own dedicated 20 amp circuit. Using a Shunyata power cord plugged into a Shunyata power socket, they sounded great. Later I added a Denali 2000 to each amp, and I was amazed at the sonic improvement. No contest, with the Denali they are unbelievably good.

kennyb123
June 26, 2020, 02:02 AM
Both of my amps have their own dedicated 20 amp circuit. Using a Shunyata power cord plugged into a Shunyata power socket, they sounded great. Later I added a Denali 2000 to each amp, and I was amazed at the sonic improvement. No contest, with the Denali they are unbelievably good.

Good to know.

It was Grant at Shunyata who first suggested I plug my amp into the wall per what Caelin said above. He said something like “amps do two things - they draw current from the circuit and then they dump noise back into the circuit”. Having that noise dumped onto its own circuit keeps that noise out of everything else. It could very well be that my amp was dumping too much noise into my Denali v1 - and that it would still prefer being plugged into its own Denali or something equivalent.

Crion
June 26, 2020, 04:20 AM
I run my active front speakers x3 with 5 medium amps inside every speaker on their own Tv3 on their own circuit.

If I could not have them on their own Sigma XC/Tv3 I would pull them straight to wall on their own circuit.

3x Omega QR to wall would probably be a sweet but somewhat costly upgrade or perhaps an Everest is financially more sound but the Sigma XC upgrades was really substantial in my setup.

Puma Cat
June 26, 2020, 11:51 PM
My view is that its likely over-simplistic to be able to generalize that one approach is intrinsically superior to another, as there are too many possibilities for functional interactions to be able to generalize.

My experience with my specific system is that my tube amp sounds considerably better when connected to a QR/BB device than not (i.e., the wall receptacle). Actually, now that I think about it, it's not even close. The QR/BB device and also the C-mode filter in Everest really brings a lot to presentation that I had not experienced previously.

Be that as it may, one should conduct their own empirical tests and listening evaluations, and providing the appropriate settling time between different configurations, go with what sounds best.

kzhtoo
June 26, 2020, 11:53 PM
My unit arrived today. Any estimation time on break-in duration?

Puma Cat
June 27, 2020, 12:03 AM
My unit arrived today. Any estimation time on break-in duration?

Give it a week to fully settle in.

But please post your initial impressions, though, if you're open to it.

Congrats!

BlueFox
June 27, 2020, 12:08 AM
Yes. Let us know what you think. It can only get better over time.

brodricj
June 27, 2020, 12:28 AM
...It can only get better over time.
I thought KPIP obviated the betterance over time theory?

Puma Cat
June 27, 2020, 01:11 AM
I thought KPIP obviated the betterance over time theory?

It reduces burn-in time, but cables and PDs still need time to settle once installed.

kzhtoo
June 27, 2020, 01:44 AM
Give it a week to fully settle in.

But please post your initial impressions, though, if you're open to it.

Congrats!

First impression is significantly more details, rich and flesh out sound. It’s different than, say amp, preamp or DAC change. It retains the same tone, musicality, but take it to the next level. Can’t wait until after it settles in. Didn’t get to listen a lot today. Will burn-in overnight and listen more tomorrow.

Puma Cat
June 27, 2020, 02:09 AM
First impression is significantly more details, rich and flesh out sound. It’s different than, say amp, preamp or DAC change. It retains the same tone, musicality, but take it to the next level. Can’t wait until after it settles in. Didn’t get to listen a lot today. Will burn-in overnight and listen more tomorrow.

Yup, that sounds like some of its attributes, for sure. One of the most notable things I find about it is the ability to hear deeply into a recording, even of a low dynamic range instrument, e.g. a classical guitar, playing against the background, power, and volume of a full symphony orchestra and still hear the sublest of details of that specific instrument.

Also, its ability to scale from soft to loud is off the charts.

still-one
July 8, 2020, 04:01 PM
As I posted here in another thread I just inserted a Everest in my set-up to demo for a bit. I was definitely not expecting much of a improvement over the Denali with basically just my front end going thru it. With absolutely no break-in on the unit the initial sound seemed much more expansive and weighty. So far impressive.

Ritmo
July 8, 2020, 05:27 PM
Well, I’m starting to get very curious. Mike has been forbidden to bring anymore gear to my home this summer but this new Shunyata Everest is starting to get my attention.

I have the Triton 3, so the question, would Everest be that significant of an improvement?

And, of course, the newly announced Omega Ethernet is also of interest.

Puma Cat
July 8, 2020, 05:30 PM
Well, I’m starting to get very curious. Mike has been forbidden to bring anymore gear to my home this summer but this new Shunyata Everest is starting to get my attention.

I have the Triton 3, so the question, would Everest be that significant of an improvement?

Yes.

the professor
July 9, 2020, 11:32 AM
In one word -- Yup

And, of course, the newly announced Omega Ethernet is also of interest.

u-sound
July 10, 2020, 06:03 PM
lovely to follow all these arrivals and the consistent happy comments.

bernardl
July 14, 2020, 08:41 AM
Everest and Omega XC arrived on Monday. So far so good! :-)

Cheers,
Bernard

brodricj
July 15, 2020, 03:33 AM
Everest and Omega XC arrived on Monday. So far so good! :-)

Without photos, didn't happen!

bernardl
July 15, 2020, 04:11 AM
Without photos, didn't happen!

OK, it didn't happen then. ;)

I don't see value in displaying the messy cable nest behind my hifi piece of furniture. Contrary to many here, the game for me is to hide my system since I use it in our family living room. The only thing visible are the speakers and the 2 Devialet units, but even them are half hidden.

Cheers,
Bernard

bernardl
July 16, 2020, 06:44 PM
Things are starting to sound pretty good here!

It’s only been 10~15 hours but I am pretty sure it’s overall already better than my PS Audio P10 that has been in use for many years.

No doubt it will continue to improve.

Cheers,
Bernard

Puma Cat
July 16, 2020, 10:07 PM
Things are starting to sound pretty good here!

It’s only been 10~15 hours but I am pretty sure it’s overall already better than my PS Audio P10 that has been in use for many years.

No doubt it will continue to improve.

Cheers,
Bernard

Cool...it will get better every day for the next 7-10 days or so.

If you went back to the P10 after Everest as has fully settled, you probably notice quite a difference as the brain "standardizes to the new level/presentation as "normal" pretty quickly. This is because the perception of "music" is not "phenomenon of physics", but rather the result of a sophisticated brain activity, requiring processing in the right temporal gyrus, caudate nucleus and cingulate gyrus, to name a few.

u-sound
July 16, 2020, 10:14 PM
so does that mean things get better in any case just because the brain adapted it?

Puma Cat
July 16, 2020, 11:33 PM
so does that mean things get better in any case just because the brain adapted it?

No, what it means is that your brain adapts pretty quickly adapt to what "normal" is, especially with improvements that make the presentation more natural, accurate, and "right". This is why it's often very instructive, after making an upgrade to a superior-sounding component, to go back to the previous component and listen again; you'll hear its shortcomings pretty easily.

bernardl
July 17, 2020, 02:38 AM
Yes it does make sense indeed.

I did perform some other minor changes also which involve connecting non essential devices to a Venom PS-8, connecting with grounding cables my amps and source LPS to the grounding posts of the Everest,...

Cheers,
Bernard

BjornW
July 24, 2020, 08:10 AM
Hello everyone,
Today I have a Denali V2 connected to the wall outlet with a Sigma XC. I am now considering to upgrade the Denali V2 to a Everest OR keeping the Denali V2 and buy a Omega XC to replace the Sigma XC. I have already tried the Omega XC with a positive outcome but I have no possibility to audition the Everest.
So what would your recommendation be -Everest or Omega XC?

Mike
July 24, 2020, 09:13 AM
Hello everyone,
Today I have a Denali V2 connected to the wall outlet with a Sigma XC. I am now considering to upgrade the Denali V2 to a Everest OR keeping the Denali V2 and buy a Omega XC to replace the Sigma XC. I have already tried the Omega XC with a positive outcome but I have no possibility to audition the Everest.

Both make an impact, but for me, Everest did all the things my Denali 6000s/v2 did, and so much more. More layering. More harmonic richness. Less noise.

BjornW
July 24, 2020, 09:36 AM
Mike: thank you for your reply! As I previously wrote, I have no chans to audition the Everest before ordering one, so your comments are important to me.
//Björn

Mike
July 24, 2020, 10:07 AM
Mike: thank you for your reply! As I previously wrote, I have no chans to audition the Everest before ordering one, so your comments are important to me.
//Björn

You’re welcome. You won’t be disappointed.

still-one
July 24, 2020, 10:21 AM
You’re welcome. You won’t be disappointed.

+1

Puma Cat
July 24, 2020, 01:32 PM
Hello everyone,

Everest.

As good as the Omega XC is, it doesn't have very large QR/BB or CMode devices. Those devices do a LOT for the impact Everest has on the presentation.

BjornW
July 24, 2020, 01:39 PM
Thank you ”Puma Cat” for your reply!

It seem that Everest is the way to go according to the comments I have received so far...[emoji2]
//Björn

CKKeung1
August 3, 2020, 05:33 AM
If two big monoblocks such as Gryphon Mephisto Mono are plugged into one Everest, so we need another Everest for the preamp & frontends?
Thanks!

brodricj
August 3, 2020, 07:58 AM
If two big monoblocks such as Gryphon Mephisto Mono are plugged into one Everest, so we need another Everest for the preamp & frontends?
Thanks!

Is the one Everest close enough to all components that need to be powered for all the power cables to reach?

CGabriel
August 3, 2020, 10:34 AM
If two big monoblocks such as Gryphon Mephisto Mono are plugged into one Everest, so we need another Everest for the preamp & frontends?Thanks!If your AC power mains circuit can handle it, so can the Everest. It can accept a 30A rated power circuit. If you have monster amplifiers that require a dedicated 20 or 30 amp circuit you should consider the Omega QR for each amplifier. As an alternative, we have a new, 2-outlet product coming soon.

Crion
August 3, 2020, 03:35 PM
South Base camp in Nepal is 5364 metres, think I lost the train of thought there for product name. ;)

Omega XC + Everest + 2x Sigma NR V2
vs
2x Omega QR

Not having heard the Omega QR but this is what I would have considered if starting from scratch with 2 large mono amps.

The keep it simple paradigm and all that plus you get those nice cable feet with the omegas QR’s ;-)

Gondo101
August 4, 2020, 11:07 AM
Deleted - sorry, not sure why double posts

Gondo101
August 4, 2020, 11:07 AM
If your AC power mains circuit can handle it, so can the Everest. It can accept a 30A rated power circuit. If you have monster amplifiers that require a dedicated 20 or 30 amp circuit you should consider the Omega QR for each amplifier. As an alternative, we have a new, 2-outlet product coming soon.

Caelin,
can you elaborate more on the new 2-outlet product you mentioned above? Will it be bigger version of D2000T or more like Typhon QR with 2 outlet? or is it the “companion” for Denali 6000 that you mentioned in the past?

thanks

CGabriel
August 4, 2020, 12:33 PM
Caelin,can you elaborate more on the new 2-outlet product you mentioned above? Will it be bigger version of D2000T or more like Typhon QR with 2 outlet? or is it the “companion” for Denali 6000 that you mentioned in the past?thanksNo. Not at this time.

Puma Cat
August 4, 2020, 01:36 PM
Deleted - sorry, not sure why double posts

Its a web site bug...

BjornW
August 5, 2020, 04:30 AM
Just ordered a Everest - can’t wait to hear what it will bring to my system[emoji2]

bernardl
August 13, 2020, 07:27 PM
After one month with the Omega and Everest, together with several other system tweaks (Gik room conditioning, an uptone LPS to power the Melco S100, a Sonore OpticalModule for ethernet insulation, Townshend rack vibration insulation,...), things are starting to sound pretty amazing here.

When I thought it couldn’t get any better... well it is.

An amazing presence, total lack of noise and totally black background. A seemless continuum from the deepest and super controlled bass to crystalline highs that don’t hurt the ear yet are of incredible clarity. The Everest is indeec remarkable.

Luck in components selection has played a big part... but this system is getting very very special. I realize how incredibly good the Wilson Benesch and Devialet are when fed by best in class power.

I can only wonder what the planned addition of a Cybershaft OP21A-D to clock thé EtheRegen will do... just waiting for the Sigma clock cables and Omega ethernet cables to ship.

Cheers,
Bernard

still-one
August 13, 2020, 11:33 PM
I’m waiting for the backlog of Sigma XC orders to be filled (maybe it is all Shunyata cables as they appear to be pretty popular at this moment. Hope the wait isn’t too much longer.

MusicLover
August 22, 2020, 04:26 AM
Hi Caelin,

i got a question regarding the proper support surface for the Everest (before doing the upgrade for the Denali v2): Was planing to buy some slate plate (because it looks rather nice with charcoal grey vs silver contrast) and place the Everest on top.

=> Are the feet the Everest comes with enough isolation from vibrations of speakers / subwoofer so that the insides do not take any long-term damage?

... I ask because I still feel some vibration in the Denali (placed in my Finite Elemente Rack). My idea was to buy some Isoacoustics Orea components feet for the Everest since they totally dampen any vibrations that might come from the floor into the component.

I know that there are different sonic schools of thought behind coupling and decoupling, but my main priority was to not do any harm to the Everest‘s internals from bass vibrations from the floor.

Kind regards and thanks a lot in advance!!

BjornW
September 2, 2020, 11:43 AM
Today the Everest finally arrived - already after less than an hour it started to show what the Everest is all about - timbre, details, dynamics and a huge but precise soundstage. Already this good and improving during the next two weeks or so - where will it end?!?[emoji2]

Puma Cat
September 2, 2020, 12:51 PM
Today the Everest finally arrived - already after less than an hour it started to show what the Everest is all about - timbre, details, dynamics and a huge but precise soundstage. Already this good and improving during the next two weeks or so - where will it end?!?[emoji2]

Its going to end in a very good place. You'll likely note consistent improvements in Everest as it settles over the next 7-10 days.

Also, don't forget about using the GP-NR system that comes with Everest; it can bring a notable improvement as well.

BjornW
September 2, 2020, 02:53 PM
For some reason my post was reposted[emoji848]

BjornW
September 2, 2020, 03:06 PM
Its going to end in a very good place. You'll likely note consistent improvements in Everest as it settles over the next 7-10 days.

Also, don't forget about using the GP-NR system that comes with Everest; it can bring a notable improvement as well.

I have the feeling it will[emoji1]
I am using the Grounding cables already today with my Denali V2 - and the improvement are impressive when connected. What was interesting were the difference in sound between the different grounding cables. After auditioning the whole line of models, it was unavoidable to end up with the Sigma GN cable...[emoji57]
This is my fourth power conditioner from Shunyata. Previously I have used the Cyclops V2, the Denali V1, and until today the Denali V2 - non of them have let me down so far - And I don’t think the Everest will either![emoji6]

brodricj
September 2, 2020, 04:53 PM
What is connected to the grounding cables that you feel can't be connected to the Denali?

BjornW
September 3, 2020, 09:31 AM
What is connected to the grounding cables that you feel can't be connected to the Denali?

I am Sorry if I was unclear - all models could be physically connected to the Denali without any problem - but after listening to the Sigma GN and the sound improvement it brought, it was, for me, an easy decision to buy the Sigma GN - it was not a matter of units that did not benefit from being connected to the ground of the Denali.

brodricj
September 3, 2020, 07:22 PM
My understanding from what Caelin has previously said is that the benefit of the grounding system happens when you plug the component into the Denali with the power cord. If you can't plug the component into the Denali and it has a grounding point you ground it to the Denali's grounding system. There is no additional benefit in using the grounding system with components that are powered by the Denali. Which is why your observation seems odd if you're hearing improvements in grounding components already connected because that seems to be contrary to what Caelin said. Unless I'm mistaken.

stevebythebay
September 3, 2020, 08:19 PM
It would seem, from Bjorn's comments, that despite having a device/power supply properly grounded to the Denali/Everest that adding a grounding cable, especially a top-notch one like the Sigma, makes things better somehow. And from what I understand, each device/manufacturer has their own method of grounding the elements of their devices. So, it seems it becomes a matter of experimentation...

GSOphile
September 3, 2020, 08:55 PM
I am Sorry if I was unclear - all models could be physically connected to the Denali without any problem - but after listening to the Sigma GN and the sound improvement it brought, it was, for me, an easy decision to buy the Sigma GN - it was not a matter of units that did not benefit from being connected to the ground of the Denali.

I've seen several users say that there's a significant benefit even though this application is not what Shunyata designed the ground terminal for. Is this benefit real? I don't know. Just sayin'.

Puma Cat
September 3, 2020, 09:05 PM
It would seem, from Bjorn's comments, that despite having a device/power supply properly grounded to the Denali/Everest that adding a grounding cable, especially a top-notch one like the Sigma, makes things better somehow. And from what I understand, each device/manufacturer has their own method of grounding the elements of their devices. So, it seems it becomes a matter of experimentation...

Its very much a matter of experimentation that is required. If my understanding is correct, if a component has a PC with a ground pin and is plugged into a Denali V2 or Everest, adding another, e.g. a CGS cable to provide chassis grounding, theoretically provides no advantage. However: grounding and ground loops can be complex, even for professional EE's, and the grounding for all components is by no means uniform or systematic. The guidance I've seen from Shunyata is to try it and see if you can hear a benefit, or not. If you hear a benefit, you can consider getting one of the Shunyata CGS/SGS ground cables and...they do sound better as you move up the line. My understanding is that the GP-NR system in Denali and Everest PDs is to provide chassis grounding for components that may be powered from a wall receptacle, but would benefit from the Shunyata GP-NR system. Also, this system is for chassis grounding, not signal grounding (they are completely different things altogether. See? I said it could be complex).

Puma Cat
September 3, 2020, 09:14 PM
I've seen several users say that there's a significant benefit even though this application is not what Shunyata designed the ground terminal for. Is this benefit real? I don't know. Just sayin'.

The answer is...it depends. How's that for definitive? ;)

CGabriel
September 3, 2020, 10:21 PM
I recommend saving the image to your desktop which makes it easier to read.

https://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28154&d=1591221289

CGabriel
September 3, 2020, 10:22 PM
https://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28155&d=1591221304

CGabriel
https://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28156&d=1591221321

CGabriel
https://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=28157&d=1591221336

CGabriel
September 3, 2020, 10:36 PM
The ground terminals on the back of our power conditioners are primarily designed so that you can connect multiple power conditioners to each other. This provides a common ground which reduces the possibility of ground loops between different AC line sources. They also allow you to connect the chassis ground of the amplifier(s) which are usually on a separate AC line to the power conditioner ground. This provides a "common ground" for all components in the system that may not necessarily be powered from the power conditioner.

The GP-NR does that and more. It actually reduces noise on the ground plane internally within the Everest. And the four ground terminals on the back of the unit allow you to connect your audio component chassis' grounds to this ground noise reduction system.

Even though it is true that the power cord provides a ground connection to each component through the power conditioner, external and separate ground cables connected to the Everest GP-NR system can improve performance. This has several reasons. First the separate ground wires are not in close proximity to the HOT and NEUTRAL wire within the power cable. The ground in the power cable is subject to inductive and capacitive coupling of noise. And a secondary ground provides an individual ground wire reducing the total impedance to earth for each component. This can also help reduce small amounts of hum and residual noise.

In some cases, the effect is minor but in others it can be quite dramatic. And as the OP about GP-NR noted that the sound quality can be improved.

My best advice — if you have an Everest — try using the GP-NR and listen to the result. Then, experiment with better quality ground cables. This should be fun, not so serious. Let's have fun with it.

Crion
September 4, 2020, 02:05 AM
I've used CGS10 cables since Triton V2 and they've made a positive impact ever since. I have 2 Sigma CGC's coming soon hopefully. I thought the Sigma V2 CGC was getting the TAP device but it seems it was scrapped?

Mike
November 13, 2020, 12:34 AM
https://www.monoandstereo.com/2020/11/shunyata-research-everest.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

brodricj
November 13, 2020, 12:55 AM
Nice. I'd like one of those.

Puma Cat
November 13, 2020, 01:53 PM
https://www.monoandstereo.com/2020/11/shunyata-research-everest.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Nice. I wondered what my Everest looked like inside. My guess is the cylinder at bottom is for, or part, of the proprietary CGS grounding system.

Puma Cat
November 13, 2020, 01:57 PM
I've used CGS10 cables since Triton V2 and they've made a positive impact ever since. I have 2 Sigma CGC's coming soon hopefully. I thought the Sigma V2 CGC was getting the TAP device but it seems it was scrapped?

I may be wrong, and Caelin should jump in here, but I'm not sure a TAP device would be necessary or provide any function for a grounding cable because it does not carry signal, as an interconnect does.

Crion
November 15, 2020, 03:19 PM
The previous CGC generation had a TAP on the Sigma CGC according to spec if I read correctly. Hopefully an Ohm.. version will manifest with everything we need. :)

Meanwhile the Sigma CGC is truly awesome. I put it on my Etherregen GND terminal into a Denali 6000/T. The whole sound scaled and grew more powerful. Then came the Alpha V2 clock 75 to my OCXO and you can sift through the recording venues air vibrations with your hand now. :D

Puma Cat
November 15, 2020, 04:02 PM
Hmmm....I'll have to pick up a Shunyata CGC to connect to my EtherREGEN, then. Thanks for the tip...

BjornW
November 15, 2020, 04:27 PM
Sounds like a good idea, yes. I am using one Sigma grounding cable for my Devialet D250 with great result - would be fantastic if a second cable bring a similar benefit.

Crion
November 16, 2020, 05:32 AM
A note about the current CGC cables, I think only the Sigma contains the V2 Cu/Ag configuration.

thyname
December 6, 2020, 04:48 PM
Can someone chime in on the small LED lights in the bottom front of the Everest? There are two, the one on top is lit blue(ish), there is no light at the bottom one. Normal?

Puma Cat
December 6, 2020, 06:04 PM
Can someone chime in on the small LED lights in the bottom front of the Everest? There are two, the one on top is lit blue(ish), there is no light at the bottom one. Normal?

Yes, this is normal.

CGabriel
December 6, 2020, 10:14 PM
The second light is a fault light.
It should not be lit under normal conditions.

Puma Cat
December 7, 2020, 12:13 AM
One of the things I like about the LED on Everest is that it is just bright enough to know the device is on, but it is not obtrusive in any way. I wish I could say that for the blue LEDs on my other devices. The EAR 324 and First Sound preamp LEDs are brighter but not egregious; the LED on Keces P3 linear power supply is, I would estimate, ~20X brighter than the LED on Everest.

This is one of things I really like about Shunyata's products; they think things fully through, down to the smallest details; for example, the vibration damping that is also built into Everest and the V2 series of power cords.

bernardl
December 9, 2020, 05:50 AM
Hmmm....I'll have to pick up a Shunyata CGC to connect to my EtherREGEN, then. Thanks for the tip...

I have also deployed some between my 2 Devialet and other key components to the Everest. I think it makes a difference. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

thyname
December 9, 2020, 07:49 AM
I have also deployed some between my 2 Devialet and other key components to the Everest. I think it makes a difference. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

If those components are plugged into the Everest, and they have proper ground pins, why do you have to “ground” them to the Everest via that grounding cable?

brodricj
December 9, 2020, 10:05 AM
T
Meanwhile the Sigma CGC is truly awesome. I put it on my Etherregen GND terminal into a Denali 6000/T.
Is the EtherREGEN powered by the Denali?

thyname
December 11, 2020, 08:12 PM
Being too lazy to replicate here, I am just copying what I wrote my friend on the Everest I bought a week ago:

_———-

Godamit!! Every day I come back from work, I am stunned with how good my shit sounds. I cannot believe how much something as simple as a power distributor brings to the table. It’s like getting a new component.

Here are a few things that are clearly audible to me:

1) The timbre is much better. I thought I already were at a very good point, but this brings it to another level. So natural, so realistic. It’s like I am seating in front of an orchestra. That kind of feeling when you hear someone playing a piano or drum, or a guitar next door. That real

2) Dynamics improvement. Everything has a more pronounced impact. Say when the drum hits, you hear and FEEL it hit.

3) Silent passages are dead silent. Like nothing. Zip

4) Even soundstage is improved. Not so much hight or width, but definitely more depth. This is important for me, because of my room, which suffers from lack of soundstage. Everything extra I can get, it helps.

————

See my signature for the rest of my stuff

Puma Cat
December 11, 2020, 09:36 PM
Being too lazy to replicate here, I am just copying what I wrote my friend on the Everest I bought a week ago:

Godamit!! Every day I come back from work, I am stunned with how good my shit sounds. I cannot believe how much something as simple as a power distributor brings to the table. It’s like getting a new component.

Here are a few things that are clearly audible to me:

1) The timbre is much better. I thought I already were at a very good point, but this brings it to another level. So natural, so realistic. It’s like I am seating in front of an orchestra. That kind of feeling when you hear someone playing a piano or drum, or a guitar next door. That real

2) Dynamics improvement. Everything has a more pronounced impact. Say when the drum hits, you hear and FEEL it hit.

This is due, to large degree, to the massive QR/BB device in Everest; 3X larger than Denali V2 (which in turn has a much larger QR/BB device than Denali V1).

3) Silent passages are dead silent. Like nothing. Zip

The very large CMode filter in Everest plays a big role, here, too.

Crion
December 15, 2020, 07:34 AM
Is the EtherREGEN powered by the Denali?

Yes, along with OCXO clock from a HDPLEX 300W PSU.

brodricj
December 15, 2020, 07:50 AM
I'm surprised at your report of the benefit of the CGS given the EtherREGEN was powered from the Denali. I thought the CGS becomes redundant when devices are directly connected to it, but others have also reported the same. With my Denali V1 I don't hear any difference, absolutely nothing at all. It's as if it's not there. I would like to try an Everest but I know that is impossible in this market.

Crion
December 15, 2020, 08:39 AM
brodricj: I'm talking specifically about running a Sigma CGC V2 from the EtherRegen GND post to the Denali 6000T CGS post.

What you have to consider is that from your ground pin in your powercable you enter a PSU of some sort. From that PSU a small(?) DC cable ventures forth into the Etherregen. Now if you are adding and attaching an 8ga Sigma CGC V2 directly to the EtherRegen GND post you are in a different league of conductor size, going straight to the Denali/Everest CGS post. A parallell GND highway with a silver core just opened up.

brodricj
December 15, 2020, 08:41 AM
brodricj: I'm talking specifically about running a Sigma CGC V2 from the EtherRegen GND post to the Denali 6000T CGS post..
I know. Which is why I asked if it was powered from the Denali as well.

kevinfor2021
January 27, 2021, 07:28 AM
I would like to try an Everest but I know that is impossible in this market.

if you would like to Demo the Everest in your home they are "in stock" today at Music Direct (MD)- you buy it (pay in full) don't like it return within 60 days for a refund (minus shipping costs to you and you pay return shipping) other vendors like The Cable company have a "lending library" I think they run some type of verification on you & you pay 10% down (non-refundable but applies to any future purchase) many people talk about Suncoast Audio being awesome, my only concern is the website says "no returns or refunds" that seems unreasonable as you have no idea what something will sound like in your home... my local Audiophile dealer has a "7 day refunds...30 day exchange policy" which I think is reasonable.. MD has an excessive return exclusion if you are just "buying & returning" everything... common sense applies.. is it OK if i return $10k of Delta cables to spend more on Sigma etc.. shouldn't be a problem

brodricj
January 27, 2021, 07:41 AM
if you would like to Demo the Everest in your home they are "in stock" today at Music Direct (MD)..
I have already tried MD. I placed my order online and the following day they cancelled it. MD said Shunyata would not let them sell me any of its products.

ack
February 2, 2021, 07:11 PM
I have already tried MD. I placed my order online and the following day they cancelled it. MD said Shunyata would not let them sell me any of its products.

What? Why? What about consumer protection laws

Mike
February 2, 2021, 07:47 PM
if you would like to Demo the Everest in your home they are "in stock" today at Music Direct (MD)- you buy it (pay in full) don't like it return within 60 days for a refund (minus shipping costs to you and you pay return shipping) other vendors like The Cable company have a "lending library" I think they run some type of verification on you & you pay 10% down (non-refundable but applies to any future purchase) many people talk about Suncoast Audio being awesome, my only concern is the website says "no returns or refunds" that seems unreasonable as you have no idea what something will sound like in your home... my local Audiophile dealer has a "7 day refunds...30 day exchange policy" which I think is reasonable.. MD has an excessive return exclusion if you are just "buying & returning" everything... common sense applies.. is it OK if i return $10k of Delta cables to spend more on Sigma etc.. shouldn't be a problem

And do you know why? Time wasters. Tire kickers. Damaged product. We used to do it and had too many people abuse it. The box would come back beat to hell, a giant scratch on it and now it’s an open box unit that nobody wants. The last item we did was a premier DAC for a Doctor in Tallahassee. The Premier came back with gouges on the top as he dragged the spikes from the PSU across the top of it getting it out of his rack. It had to go back to MSB for a whole new chassis and a new box which looked like a dogs breakfast. Before that, a VAC amp. Before that, a Pass X350.8. Before that, a Luxman c900u. I could go on and on. That’s why.

If we know the customer and we have a good relationship with them, we will happily loan out anything and always do. But to folks we don’t know? We’ve stopped doing that after the MSB Premier incident. We are much more like your local dealer for local customers. I hope you support your local dealer. Seems like he has a reasonable policy.

Mike
February 2, 2021, 07:49 PM

He lives in Australia. I think that’s why.

kevinfor2021
February 2, 2021, 07:56 PM

i Just discovered he lives in Australia.. you can't expect a USA Reseller like MD to ship overseas with a "60 day return policy" dealing with shipping & insurance Worldwide tracking "door to door" or trying to get U.S. Customs (or Australia)to waive any Taxes, VAT on both original ship & return etc is a nightmare - Shunyata has an Authorized Australia distributor on their website.. The problem here is Price... for example an Omega Ethernet from an Auzzie reseller MSRP Runs $4500 AZD (or $3425 USA) but the same cable retails for $2500 USA (or $3284 AZD) $1216 savings (not including shipping VAT taxes or duties etc..)

Shunyata never said you are banned from buying our product.. you need to buy it from a distributor/reseller in the country you live in.

brodricj
February 2, 2021, 09:13 PM

There is supposed to be a free trade agreement between the US and Australia. Doesn't stop Shunyata from insisting US dealers not ship to International customers. I can't even have them ship to a US address.

brodricj
February 2, 2021, 09:16 PM
...Shunyata has an Authorized Australia distributor on their website.. The problem here is Price....

No. The problem is the Australian distributor will not sell the Shunyata products I want to buy. There is no way around that, they just won't do it.

To be clear I buy my Shunyata interconnect cables locally, except when they jack up the price by double after I place my order and then I cancel and have to wait 3 months to get a refund of my deposit. What I can't buy are the power cables and power distributors I want. The distributor just won't import them. Period.

ack
February 2, 2021, 11:28 PM
i Just discovered he lives in Australia.. you can't expect a USA Reseller like MD to ship overseas with a "60 day return policy" dealing with shipping & insurance Worldwide tracking "door to door" or trying to get U.S. Customs (or Australia)to waive any Taxes, VAT on both original ship & return etc is a nightmare - Shunyata has an Authorized Australia distributor on their website.. The problem here is Price... for example an Omega Ethernet from an Auzzie reseller MSRP Runs $4500 AZD (or $3425 USA) but the same cable retails for $2500 USA (or $3284 AZD) $1216 savings (not including shipping VAT taxes or duties etc..)

Shunyata never said you are banned from buying our product.. you need to buy it from a distributor/reseller in the country you live in.

Yes, that makes sense, thanks. I am sure MD's territory is just the US

Jack
February 2, 2021, 11:46 PM
Nor do they even carry power products that will work in Australia. The only Shunyata power conditioners he could even attempt to order wouldn't work anyway.

BlueFox
February 3, 2021, 01:02 AM
I suspect there is more to this than what we are reading here. If Shunyata won’t sell, or let anyone ship, to Australia then there must be a reason.

Jack
February 3, 2021, 01:11 AM
There is an Australian distributor and has been and he has to order through them for new products. He has been told that multiple times but he wants to bypass that process. Australia is not in MD's territory and they only sell products that will work with the US voltage.

brodricj
February 3, 2021, 08:35 AM
You've totally missed the point. I can't buy what I want locally because the local distributor won't import it. The only way around that is to find another distributor somewhere else and buy it from them. MD have the power cables I want. The local distributor does not. Neither will sell to me.

Mike
February 18, 2021, 04:48 PM

And do you know why? Time wasters. Tire kickers. Damaged product. We used to do it and had too many people abuse it. The box would come back beat to hell, a giant scratch on it and now it’s an open box unit that nobody wants. The last item we did was a premier DAC for a Doctor in Tallahassee. The Premier came back with gouges on the top as he dragged the spikes from the PSU across the top of it getting it out of his rack. It had to go back to MSB for a whole new chassis and a new box which looked like a dogs breakfast. Before that, a VAC amp. Before that, a Pass X350.8. Before that, a Luxman c900u. I could go on and on. That’s why.

If we know the customer and we have a good relationship with them, we will happily loan out anything and always do. But to folks we don’t know? We’ve stopped doing that after the MSB Premier incident. We are much more like your local dealer for local customers. I hope you support your local dealer. Seems like he has a reasonable policy.

Reason #979:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210218/2c963b80ac5e39854065bf38562df97d.jpg

rhyno
March 7, 2021, 05:40 PM
refresh of this thread:
i had previously been using a hodgepodge of AC tweaks (PS Audio PS10 + 2 HF MC1 Pro Magnets + Add-Power Wizard + Akiko Corelli, the latter being the best of the lot).

bought an everest, then demo'd the following cords feeding it:
SR Sigma NR (terrible match, too dark and rolled)
Sigma XC (far better, but still rolled and not detailed enough)
AQ Dragon (great dynamics and resolution, but was trying too hard on resolution - sounded like silver cabling, and generated fatigue)
Omega XC (the keeper)

i'm not big on spending $ and i generally find reviews hyperbolic. but the everest + omega (which is *required* to get the proper effects IMHO) is a truly fabulous AC solution. relative to my prior setup, its considerably more dynamic, extended and with far far better resolution without sounding forced or exaggerated (and resolution always being a function of the noise floor, which is nonexistent with this solution). tone is properly balanced from end to end, and PRAT is ideal (which i could not say with the sigma, or any transformer-based AC conditioner i ever tried). and i'd be remiss if i didn't point out the sturdy build quality of the everest, which cannot be said for competing conditioners at $10k+ (which might be housed in flimsy chassis, or employ questionable computer logic--and computers never fail do they?); the everest is plug and forget, and clearly built to last, per the lifetime warranty.

the thing about introducing new components is that the enthusiasm over the change has to be tempered against long term listenability, as not every change is a long-term solution.

the everest+ omega XC is just that.
wholeheartedly recommended, and my only quibble is the considerable price to entry.

thyname
March 7, 2021, 08:11 PM
My experience is completely different. Although this may not mean anything, this is just my experience.

One thing we all agree, Everest is a game changer. Simple.

In terms of the power cords on Everest: I initially and temporarily, got the Sigma EF, as this is only what the dealer had in stock when I got the Everest. Ordered the Sigma XC and waited until it arrived. Then I got the itch, and I got the Omega XC. So I tried three power cords on my Everest, the Sigma EF, the Sigma XC, and Omega XC.

Bottom line is the Omega XC is the best match on Everest hands down. No question. That is only if money grows on trees. But in the real world, I believe the Sigma XC is the more realistic match for the price, value for the money.

If I were to quantify, on a scale of 1 to 10 from EF to Omega XC: the Sigma XC gets you up to 7. Then the Omega to 10.

Again, my ears, my subjective impression, in my system (see signature).

rhyno
March 7, 2021, 08:32 PM
also worth noting:

as i think caelin noted elsewhere, i found that the everest did not play well with any other tweaks. none. in every instance they compromised the everest's capabilities.

JimmyS
March 8, 2021, 08:45 AM
I’m a fan of Shunyata and my system is powered by their products. But an $8k power conditioner that needs a $7k power cord to function well, makes me question if the Everest is really my next step forward from my 6000T.

still-one
March 8, 2021, 09:48 AM
I’m a fan of Shunyata and my system is powered by their products. But an $8k power conditioner that needs a $7k power cord to function well, makes me question if the Everest is really my next step forward from my 6000T.

The Sigma XC at about half the cost of the Omega works very well with the Everest. Also when I owned a 6000T it benefited from Shunyata's better PC's too.

kennyb123
March 8, 2021, 06:46 PM

It’s more about leaving money on the table. Also, it’s true for every conditioner that its performance depends on the power cord feeding it from the wall. I see it more as a good/better/best with the Omega XC being “best”, Sigma XC being “better” and maybe Alpha XC as “good”.

Dizzie
March 8, 2021, 08:50 PM
This discussion is very frustrating for me. I am building two semi-final systems. I would like an Everest for one of them but can't handle the size and shape. Its just to huge. I don't have room next to my double-width stand. And one of the slots is dedicated for a power conditioner. That is where an Everest would go if it was a traditional shape. A 6-outlet of the same quality would be even better for price. Fitting into that shelf space would also preclude the need for longer power cords necessitated by going farther off-center with a conditioner. The style and size of the Everest leaves me scratching my head.

But alas, If I can't fit an Everest I will keep the non-Shunyata power conditioner I already have and be saved from buying a bunch of Shunyata PCs to pair with an Everest. I should probably stop reading this thread.:S

brodricj
March 8, 2021, 08:53 PM
This discussion is very frustrating for me...

Hang in there. Shunyata put out a teaser a few months ago to expect a new product soon. From what I understand it is the traditional form factor, but a level down in performance to Everest with fewer outlets. Nothing officially announced yet, but it has to be sooner than later now.

Dizzie
March 8, 2021, 09:02 PM
Hang in there. Shunyata put out a teaser a few months ago to expect a new product soon. From what I understand it is the traditional form factor, but a level down in performance to Everest with fewer outlets. Nothing officially announced yet, but it has to be sooner than later now.

Thank you for that information. It is encouraging. It just makes good business sense. Selling a power conditioner opens up potential sales of other Shunyata power cords, interconnects and speaker cable. At the very least, a matching power cord for the conditioner. I hope we get news soon.

Dizzie
May 27, 2021, 03:45 PM

Any update? Where did you see the teaser?

mdp632
May 27, 2021, 05:06 PM

I wonder if the delays have anything to do with the current climate (Supply chain)

That said, the upcoming product was supposed to be a Typhon QR and Denali 2000T Replacement.

A two outlet box for high end Monoblock amps with massive QRBB plus more tech from the Everest.

Your source components would plug into the Everest and high end amps into this device.

I don't think a smaller Everest is in the cards.

Aka a 6 or 4 outlet version.

They have the Denali 6000V2 to fill that void.

Puma Cat
May 27, 2021, 05:42 PM
I wonder if the delays have anything to do with the current climate (Supply chain)

That said, the upcoming product was supposed to be a Typhon QR and Denali 2000T Replacement.

A two outlet box for high end Monoblock amps with massive QRBB plus more tech from the Everest.

Your source components would plug into the Everest and high end amps into this device.

A good summary, Mdp.

I think the reason that Everest is the size and form factor it is, is because it has a QR/BB device that is 3X the size of that in Denali 6000/S V2, AND a Cmode (common mode) filter (that is not in Denali) that would prevent it fitting into a horizontal chassis that would fit in a standard (usually 17" wide) audio rack shelf.

Dizzie
May 28, 2021, 12:33 PM

mdp632,

Thank you for the clarification on products under development disappointing as the news is to me. But in the glass-half-full category it does save me a lot of money and save me the hassle of selling what I have now. I can cross a Shunyata power conditioner and two power cords off of my wish list.

Dizzie
May 28, 2021, 12:37 PM
A good summary, Mdp.

I think the reason that Everest is the size and form factor it is, is because it has a QR/BB device that is 3X the size of that in Denali 6000/S V2, AND a Cmode (common mode) filter (that is not in Denali) that would prevent it fitting into a horizontal chassis that would fit in a standard (usually 17" wide) audio rack shelf.

Puma Cat,

Thank you for the useful information. Would those components fit into a 17"-18" wide chassis that was taller and only had 6 duplex outlets? Many racks would accommodate a taller unit but in a conventional shape. Easy fit in my rack.

Puma Cat
May 28, 2021, 01:22 PM
Puma Cat,

Thank you for the useful information. Would those components fit into a 17"-18" wide chassis that was taller and only had 6 duplex outlets? Many racks would accommodate a taller unit but in a conventional shape. Easy fit in my rack.

I don't know. My recommendation would be to ask the nice folks at Shunyata Research.

Puma Cat
May 28, 2021, 01:24 PM
mdp632,

Thank you for the clarification on products under development disappointing as the news is to me. But in the glass-half-full category it does save me a lot of money and save me the hassle of selling what I have now. I can cross a Shunyata power conditioner and two power cords off of my wish list.

I wouldn't cross a Shunyata PD (power distributor) off your list; rather why not stand pat for the time being and see what comes down the road? Like the old proverb: "Good things come to those who wait."

Dizzie
May 28, 2021, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't cross a Shunyata PD (power distributor) off your list; rather why not stand pat for the time being and see what comes down the road? Like the old proverb: "Good things come to those who wait."

Doing nothing = standing pat. :popcorn:

There is no other power distributor on my wish list so there will not be a change for now. My experience with Shunyata a decade or more ago was frustrating. As soon as I bought one of their products they came out with a revision that was allegedly much better. Witness the current v2 labels etc. and evolution of Hydra into multiple versions. I suspect that trend will continue so I see no need to jump in now.

kennyb123
May 28, 2021, 02:38 PM

Caelin referred to it as a “companion” device for the 6000/S. I tried advanced search to find the posts but couldn’t figure out how to have it only return posts and not threads.

kennyb123
May 28, 2021, 02:45 PM
Doing nothing = standing pat. :popcorn:

There is no other power distributor on my wish list so there will not be a change for now. My experience with Shunyata a decade or more ago was frustrating. As soon as I bought one of their products they came out with a revision that was allegedly much better. Witness the current v2 labels etc. and evolution of Hydra into multiple versions. I suspect that trend will continue so I see no need to jump in now.

My original Denali is as good as it was when I purchased it. The Denali v2 didn’t diminish it one bit. I’m glad I hopped onboard with a company that continues to innovate - especially when that innovation brings a bigger bang for the buck.

I have to admit though feeling some disappointment when I leaned that my Denali v1 wasn’t upgradable to v2. But apparently not much of any f the parts were carried over to the v2. It was pretty much a brand new offering. But at the end of the day, I’m still just as happy with my Denali v1 as I was they day it arrived.

Puma Cat
May 28, 2021, 03:10 PM
My original Denali is as good as it was when I purchased it. The Denali v2 didn’t diminish it one bit. I’m glad I hopped onboard with a company that continues to innovate - especially when that innovation brings a bigger bang for the buck.

I agree. Continued innovation and product development is the name of the name for any good, R&D-based, high-end audio company. This isn't unique to Shunyata. All good high-end audio companies work this way. Conrad-Johnson released a better-performing preamp, the GAT, that superceded and surpassed the performance of my CT-5. But it doesn't mean that my CT-5 was any less a great product and a great-sounding preamp. I lived with it and enjoyed it for over a decade. I sold it to someone who is now also enjoying it.

Shunyata has been on a mission to bring their innovative and proprietary technologies into their products at lower price points, to be accessible to a wider segment of customers. For example, the Venom NR series of power cords released in 2019 brought their power cord noise reduction technology down to their entry-level line level of power cords that was previously unavailable, at a price approximately 1/2 that of the higher-spec Delta NR v1 series of PCs. Same for their interconnects. You can now buy the Alpha V2 interconnect with the proprietary TAP device in an interconnect that sounds better than the original Sigma v1 ICs, and...at half the price.

Most high-end companies cascade their proprietary and cutting-edge tech upwards, reserved only for their highest level, top-price tier of products.

Shunyata takes their innovative and proprietary technologies and cascades them downwards, to make them more available to a broader range of customers at lower price tiers. Who else does that? The only other companies I can think of are Lampizator and Rega. What's not to like? ;)

u-sound
May 28, 2021, 03:47 PM
would like to confirm the downwards success.....recently i purchased a couple of delta2 nr powercords and find them not only excellent value but also no clear benefit to go any higher, apart for the PD, pre and dac.

Puma Cat
May 28, 2021, 04:02 PM
Yeah, the Delta NR v2 PC is a great power cord. And an excellent value. It's better than the the original Alpha NR v1 PC, at half the cost.

u-sound
May 28, 2021, 04:04 PM
This discussion is very frustrating for me. I am building two semi-final systems. I would like an Everest for one of them but can't handle the size and shape. Its just to huge. I don't have room next to my double-width stand. And one of the slots is dedicated for a power conditioner. That is where an Everest would go if it was a traditional shape. A 6-outlet of the same quality would be even better for price. Fitting into that shelf space would also preclude the need for longer power cords necessitated by going farther off-center with a conditioner. The style and size of the Everest leaves me scratching my head.

i am scatching my head about how is it possible to not have place for an everest?
it is not supposed to squeeze it into a rack...just place it somewhere on the floor alone. next or behind whatever.

would a 6 outlet version of the same quality be cheaper?
first, to offer multiple versions make things more expansive. more hassle, smaller quantity per unit. a 6 outlet version would make the 8 outlet version more expansive to a little degree.
then, if you look inside the everest you will see that the cost comes from all the boxes inside.
you would need all the same for the 6 outlet version. the 2 extra outlets cost marginal as well as the little bit more of aluminium for the higher hight.
that said, i did wish a smaller version when i bought the everesrt. by now, i wish it had 10 or more outlets.

u-sound
May 28, 2021, 04:14 PM
Yeah, the Delta NR v2 PC is a great power cord. And an excellent value. It's better than the the original Alpha NR v1 PC, at half the cost.

and, at half the size!!!:)
in the shop they had a full loom shunyata system with all them black thick tubes.
monstercool, but not my cup of tea in the living room. too frithening for my daughter i was thinking.

mdp632
June 6, 2021, 11:25 AM
A question to Puma or other Everest owners who might know...

Are all 8 outlets on the Everest connected to the QR/BB modules?

If I recall correctly, on my Denali 6000T only 2 of 6 of the outlets are connected to QR/BB.

Mike
June 6, 2021, 11:40 AM
A question to Puma or other Everest owners who might know...

Are all 8 outlets on the Everest connected to the QR/BB modules?

If I recall correctly, on my Denali 6000T only 2 of 6 of the outlets are connected to QR/BB.

Yes, all 8.

rrwmd
September 5, 2021, 02:03 PM
I wish Shunyata would make a four outlet version of the Everest. (And a black option too.)

Dizzie
September 5, 2021, 02:17 PM
I wish Shunyata would make a four outlet version of the Everest. (And a black option too.)

Wanted: 6-outlet and shaped to fit on a shelf.

mdp632
September 5, 2021, 04:20 PM

Same. Don’t so much care about the color choices.

I think the US market Denali 6000T was in Black only and Everest 8000 is silver only.

Probably has to do with the cost in producing the tower form factor re: keeping cost down offering one color choice.

Regardless of color , I’m a fan of the tower form factor and would love to see to see a “Junior” tower with 4 outlets but, Everest tech.

For those with smaller systems but, want the performance and tower form factor over the Denali V2.

mdp632
September 5, 2021, 04:24 PM
Wanted: 6-outlet and shaped to fit on a shelf.

Having owned a Denali 6000T and looking forward to an Everest (Tower)

Having owned a Triton V1 in the past (Shelf)

I’d never go back to a shelf model but, do appreciate that everyone has their own preference.

That said, I hope they do offer an Everest 4000/6000 T in the future.

For those of use with no more shelf space or expensive racks that we can’t expand.

A tower model fits the bill quite nicely.

Puma Cat
September 6, 2021, 02:03 PM
Just a note for the gang's consideration regarding a smaller form-factor Everest.

From my understanding, this isn't possible because the some of most key components and subsystems in Everest simply won't fit in a smaller form factor. Two of the reasons that Everest outperforms, say, a Denali V2, is 1) the QR/BB module is 3X the size of the module in Denali 6000/S V2 2) Everest has a very large internal CMode filter that Denali does not have, either. So, if you want all the performance of Everest, quite simply, it needs to be in a power distributor that is the size of Everest. My hypothesis is that a fewer number of power outlets would not circumvent the size, or more, accurately, internal volume requirements of just those two key subsystems. The internal ground-plane noise reduction system (again, which you should not overlook) may also take up some more space as it has 4X the no. of ground posts, but I'm not sure if that would be a internal volume dimensional factor, or not.

Just a final note: having visited the Shunyata factory in June, and having observed the care and meticulousness with they approach design, development, and manufacturing, I can speak first-hand to the fact that every single part, conductor, component, wire, nut, bolt, fastener, damping material, and very likely other factors I'm not aware of, is evaluated by Shunyata in detail for function, performance, and impact on audio quality. For example, even "little things", e.g. the internal fasteners, e.g, a screw, or spade lug connector, are evaluated for their impact on sound quality. A tiny little resistor inside the AC plug of a power cord, whose only purpose is a safety function to prevent a possible static charge from occurring when unplugging the power cord from a receptacle, is listened to thoroughly for it's impact on sound quality. Folks may not know that all Shunyata power distributors are lined with a proprietary damping material that is carefully developed and tested to mitigate the impact of vibration on audio quality. The trick here to use just the right amount: too little doesn't provide enough damping, and too much can over-damp the power distributor and "deaden" the sound. So, finding just the right amount is key. Even the footers have undergone significant design and development, with many different designs and materials tried and tested, until they arrived at the SSF-38 and SSF-50 footer design.

The key takeaway was really clear: Caelin and Shunyata think through, design, and test, test, test virtually everything with respect to their product design, and...in meticulous detail. I'm tellin' ya, if you have not visited them to see how rigorously and thoroughly they do this, you're not going to fully understand. The examples I've provided are just fraction of the scope and depth of their design and development work.

The bottom line is their products are designed the way they are because that's the currently very best possible way they know to design and manufacture it.

mdp632
September 6, 2021, 04:08 PM
Thanks for sharing.

No doubt in mind Shunyata has been on a roll the past 18 months or so with their new products.

I’m looking forward to the much rumored Signal grounding product. If anyone can get it right it is Caelin and team.

Perhaps, the QR/BB tech can be applied to an Omega line of speaker cables and interconnects too.

That said, I’ve owned the Venom PS8, Triton V1 , Denali 6000T and coming soon the Everest.

However, I do wish they offered another tower model outside of the flagship Everest.

I’d think it would be fairly popular. Perhaps the Denali V3 will be offered again in a tower model.

I would think that their dealers would be asking for a more “accessible “ tower model outside of the Flagship.

Price aside, the shelf models take up a shelf and don’t look clean if you have to install them on the floor.

Even the new Venom models it seems (From the website ) that they have gone to the shelf models rather the power strip version of the PS8.

That of which at least you could place a PS8 behind your equipment rack again freely up a shelf on your rack.

Puma Cat
September 6, 2021, 04:48 PM
Thanks for sharing.

No doubt in mind Shunyata has been on a roll the past 18 months or so with their new products.

I’m looking forward to the much rumored Signal grounding product. If anyone can get it right it is Caelin and team.

Perhaps, the QR/BB tech can be applied to an Omega line of speaker cables and interconnects too.

That said, I’ve owned the Venom PS8, Triton V1 , Denali 6000T and coming soon the Everest.

However, I do wish they offered another tower model outside of the flagship Everest.

I’d think it would be fairly popular. Perhaps the Denali V3 will be offered again in a tower model.

I would think that their dealers would be asking for a more “accessible “ tower model outside of the Flagship.

Price aside, the shelf models take up a shelf and don’t look clean if you have to install them on the floor.

Even the new Venom models it seems (From the website ) that they have gone to the shelf models rather the power strip version of the PS8.

That of which at least you could place a PS8 behind your equipment rack again freely up a shelf on your rack.

Yeah, I can't speak to what is in development with respect to the the product portfolio. The pandemic, though, has really, really put a major hurt on manufacturing sectors. The price of steel is up over 220%, and the price of highly pure metal refining, casting and drawing is way, up, too, as well as the costs for ICs, chips, logistics, supply chain, etc., etc. For a product manufacturer, you want to have a portfolio of products that provide maximal VALUE, where VALUE=QUALITY/PRICE. The key with respect to effective product portfolio management is to have clearly differentiated product lines that provide maximal value within their respective product "lanes", so to speak, but do not compete with each other. So, for an audio manufacturer, an effective approach might be GOOD/BETTER/BEST and SOTA. You don't want to have too many product lines because too many choices is confusing for customers, and managing all the raw materials, manufacturing, QC, QA (not the same thing as QC), distribution/retail for a lot of product lines is costly and high-effort (where EFFORT = TIME+STEPS from a LEAN perspective). Also, something folks never think about is the cost of the packing materials for a given product. Many products need custom EPS foam inserts, bags, manuals, product manuals or product sheets (that have to be offset printed, yet another cost), boxes, etc. These packing materials alone can add a notable cost to the BOM. I think I remember a comment by Danny Richie of GR-Reseach that for consumer-market speaker manufacturers, for example, that the packing materials alone can consume 25-30% of the cost of the BOM for a pair of speakers.

Puma Cat
September 6, 2021, 05:12 PM

You can just orient the new V16 on it's front panel if you want to use it like a "power strip" behind your rack. Cut a piece of beeswax cloth the size of the panel, lay it on the panel and rest it face down on a strip of maple or particle board; the beeswax cloth will provide mechanical grounding and constrained layer damping. Job done! If memory serves, Robert Harley used his Triton V3's resting face down on their front panels.

a.wayne
September 6, 2021, 06:19 PM
Inflation running around 20% , so the next price increase will reflect ...!

Puma Cat
September 6, 2021, 06:50 PM
Inflation running around 20% , so the next price increase will reflect ...!

The COVID pandemic has had a major impact on both raw materials as well as manufactured goods. From everything from COGS (cost of goods & services) to supply chain and logistics. The cost of steel is up over 220%, for example. A friend told me the other day that the price of a sheet of plywood has increased something like 500%. All this translates to higher prices.

Mikado463
September 6, 2021, 08:30 PM
Stephen, while I haven't looked since last week before Ida, lumber prices (generally) have fallen way back. No where near the percentage increase you speak of in my area. Regardless, COVID along with many other factors have created a true 'money grab' !

Puma Cat
September 6, 2021, 10:52 PM
Thanks, Dave.

SCAudiophile
August 11, 2023, 03:52 PM
So as to not duplicate an entire post, please see this link for mention and week #1 impressions of an upgrade to Everest 8000

https://www.audioshark.org/audioshark-members-systems-101/built-love-music-13148-post-362646.html

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk