PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Shadowfax
July 25, 2013, 02:05 PM
What would you do?

I have gear from the early 90s as per my signature. A VAC Pre and a Counterpoint Hybrid amp. After having the Amp brought back to life when I got it, by RHB Sound Dezign, a mile from home and seeing all the awesome customizations and mods they do to tube gear I have considered some for myself.
My question would be, which unit would bring the best return? And, when is a re-cap needed?

Would I get a big kick if I just recapped the Pre or the Amp? Or both?

Or, would I be better off saving my money, selling these pcs and getting something completely different and new (newer)?

Has anyone had Mods done by Bob and his son at RHB? What do you think of their work and the sound? They have custom ciruitry that they add along with using pretty expensive V-Caps. Does one need to spend the cash on V-Caps or are there other lower cost brands that would give a nice performance increase. RHB also Mods the power supplies so again, I am unsure where to start if I went down this road.

I know this is hypothetical at this moment, but I have been mulling this over for a few years and not sure if I should just leave the gear alone or if it is wise to update some of it.

Thanks for any input.

Brian

Mike
July 25, 2013, 02:08 PM
I think it would all depend on your budget. I think audio gear has vastly improved since the 90's due to better design techniques, new parts, testing equipment, etc. That being said, I've heard some older VAC gear and loved it. Tough call. But as a notorious gear swapper - there is no doubt what I would do! :)

Shadowfax
July 25, 2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks Mike. I don't have the budget that many here are able to swing and in the near future I may be downsizing my house. My thoughts for that are to go for a nice tube integrated and killer stand mount speakers. But selling this older gear is not easy.

Mike
July 25, 2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks Mike. I don't have the budget that many here are able to swing and in the near future I may be downsizing my house. My thoughts for that are to go for a nice tube integrated and killer stand mount speakers. But selling this older gear is not easy.

It can be a bit of a challenge - but I've had good luck with older gear on Audiogon. I recently sold a Perreraux 1150B amp and SM2 preamp that I bought about in 1982. They went fast. Probably because the gold plated boards were worth more than the gear itself!

Petro85
July 25, 2013, 06:29 PM
im with mike!! buy new gear but used lol. new to you , if you buy it used you can sell it for the same, if you want to change or upgrade down the road, once my preamp needs work like that its time for a new one. you have a lot of gear in your sig, keep the pieces you really like, sell whats not absolutely necessary and buy a few new keepers . but thats just me.lol.