January 10, 2020, 04:33 PM
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/magico-m6/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calvin
January 10, 2020, 04:40 PM
Saw this earlier. It's a great read.

Matias
January 10, 2020, 04:41 PM
The same tweeter, different sound because of diffraction is very interesting.

Calvin
January 10, 2020, 07:38 PM
This paragraph is what grabbed me. Talking about high-tech:

Looking next at the drivers, the three 10.5" woofers and single 6" midrange driver are updated versions of the graphene-infused Nano-Tech driver technology that debuted in the Q7. The motor is the same, but the cone benefits from a second-generation implementation of graphene, a wonder material that is extraordinarily strong but adds virtually no weight to the cone. According to Wikipedia, graphene is “a two-dimensional, atomic-scale hexagonal lattice in which one atom forms each vertex.” That is, this form of carbon isn’t a fiber or a nanotube, but a lattice structure just one atom thick. Graphene is 200 times stronger than steel by weight. To quote from my review of the Q7, which saw the debut of graphene in loudspeaker cones: “The combination of lightness and stiffness is the Holy Grail of driver design; the lightness allows the diaphragm to start and stop quickly by virtue of its low mass, and the stiffness prevents the diaphragm from flexing (and thus introducing distortion) under the stress of being driven by a voice coil attached near the diaphragm’s center. A light diaphragm can also provide superior low-level resolution; music’s very fine details are not obscured by the diaphragm’s inertia. Think about the very low-level components of an audio signal—the most delicate musical details of timbre, microdynamics, and ambience—applied to two drivers, one of them with a high-mass diaphragm and a stiff surround material, and the second with a featherweight cone and very compliant surround. It’s easy to visualize how, with the high-mass cone, music’s very fine structure would fall below the driver’s ability to move in response to the signal. The driver’s mechanical structures set a threshold below which no information can be resolved. But the lighter the diaphragm, the more powerful and sophisticated the motor structure, and the more carefully designed the surround material and shape, the lower that threshold becomes. The result is an increase in low-level detail. Moreover, lighter diaphragms more faithfully reproduce the leading-edge attack of transient signals, which translates to a greater sense of realism and better conveys microdynamic expression.”

XV-1
January 10, 2020, 10:37 PM
Reading that review makes then M6 almost seem coloured in the way it produces music - quite different to how Magico started making speakers.

Mike
January 10, 2020, 10:50 PM
Reading that review makes then M6 almost seem coloured in the way it produces music - quite different to how Magico started making speakers.

Musically and engineering wise, they have evolved dramatically.

BlueFox
January 10, 2020, 10:56 PM
I wonder how much better the M6 is than the M3 since it costs $100K more. I was at Magico a while ago and compared the S5 Mk II to the S7. While the S7 was a bit better, it didn’t strike me as $25K more than the S5 better.

Elberoth
January 11, 2020, 12:13 PM
IMO the S7 is basicly the S5 mk 2 for bigger rooms.

Mike
January 11, 2020, 12:15 PM
IMO the S7 is basicly the S5 mk 2 for bigger rooms.

The S7 seems to be the forgotten child. I have to say, to me, it completely disappears and is more complete than the S5 mk2. If you can handle it’s size, it’s wonderful. Give it lots of power and stand back!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200111/22206f71c1d4542f393225041afb7454.jpg

Mike
January 11, 2020, 12:19 PM
I wonder how much better the M6 is than the M3 since it costs $100K more. I was at Magico a while ago and compared the S5 Mk II to the S7. While the S7 was a bit better, it didn’t strike me as $25K more than the S5 better.

Good question. All comes down to room size and budget. Once you get to S7 then you have to decide against M2/M3 which would not be easy to do! M3 remains my favorite for the $$ and my rooms. It filled our 20 x 25 like nobody’s business. The M2 is more happy in the 17 x 25. We don’t have a room big enough to test the limits of the S7! They can fill any room!

TechnicalPie
January 20, 2020, 07:48 AM
https://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27174&stc=1

sb6
May 31, 2020, 06:39 PM
A while back I heard the S5 at our local dealer and it was the first Magico that I really liked. Some months later I heard the M3 at the same dealer and it's quite a bit better than the S IMO. It might (and likely is) better than the Vivid G2 S2 but tough to say due to room and system setup differences.

brodricj
June 1, 2020, 07:50 AM
Mentioned in the review, shipping M6 without pins in the Mpods. Can't be good.

Mike
June 1, 2020, 07:54 AM
Mentioned in the review, shipping M6 without pins in the Mpods. Can't be good.

They ship on wheels, locked down inside the crate. The wheels are removed and MPODS are then installed later once the speakers are in position. As for the pins in the mpods, that’s right. The mpods fit into a small hole inside a metal case for shipping. The pins are inserted prior to installing the mpods.

brodricj
June 1, 2020, 07:57 AM
Yeah, my point was, the review said they were shipped without pins...

"Unfortunately, the review samples had made the rounds of audio shows and weren’t shipped with pins, so I was unable to hear this comparison."

Mike
June 1, 2020, 08:03 AM
Yeah, my point was, the review said they were shipped without pins...

"Unfortunately, the review samples had made the rounds of audio shows and weren’t shipped with pins, so I was unable to hear this comparison."

The reviewer should have reached out to the factory and a set could have be sent.

And isn’t he in California?

Anyway, he still tried them.

brodricj
June 1, 2020, 08:11 AM
I'm paranoid about the pins. I'm not game to move my speakers a millimeter without the pins out of fear of doing damage to the internals of the pods. Which makes me wonder, am I being over cautious?

Kingsrule
June 1, 2020, 09:54 AM
They ship on wheels, locked down inside the crate. The wheels are removed and MPODS are then installed later once the speakers are in position. As for the pins in the mpods, that’s right. The mpods fit into a small hole inside a metal case for shipping. The pins are inserted prior to installing the mpods.

To be clear, the pins are in place when the MPods are shipped from Magico

Kingsrule
June 1, 2020, 09:59 AM

Never heard any other Magicos other than the MProjects, which I owned and the M6's, which I own.

As a point of reference, the M6 is a far superior speaker. It makes the MProject sound just like it's name, a project.......

Mike
June 1, 2020, 10:09 AM
To be clear, the pins are in place when the MPods are shipped from Magico

You’re right. Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro