PDA

View Full Version : Magico M2 Review

GSOphile
January 6, 2020, 04:46 PM
The February issue of Stereophile contains a very positive review of the M2 by John Atkinson.

dznutz
January 6, 2020, 10:07 PM
Of course its positive

Mike
January 6, 2020, 10:43 PM
Of course its positive

Because it’s a great speaker! Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LVB
January 6, 2020, 11:19 PM
Of course its positive

I did not see the review yet (where is it?), but are you saying JA reviews are always positive?

BlueFox
January 7, 2020, 12:18 AM
I did not see the review yet (where is it?), but are you saying JA reviews are always positive?

As the first post says, the February issue of Stereophile. I am waiting for my issue to arrive.

brodricj
January 7, 2020, 10:24 AM
Well, that was a teaser. I'll just go back to doing what I was doing.

Gene
January 7, 2020, 01:14 PM
Arrived in the post today. JA is very positive for some very good reasons. He's not exactly waxing poetic in his writing (as usual) but you'll get the point.

Ritmo
January 7, 2020, 01:23 PM
Arrived in the post today. JA is very positive for some very good reasons. He's not exactly waxing poetic in his writing (as usual) but you'll get the point.

Received the digital version today as well. In addition to the M2, the issue has other great gear: ARC Ref 160S, Pass Int 25, DAG Momentum HD Pre, Vivid Kaya 4s, Schiit Integrated, Tech Das AF1.

Calvin
January 7, 2020, 07:16 PM
Fantastic. Glad to hear the review was good as it is one of my upgrade considerations. I’ll have to read this in a few weeks.

Mike
January 12, 2020, 06:45 AM
https://absolutehiend.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf/MagicoM2Stereophile.pdf

Calvin
January 12, 2020, 08:01 AM
What a great read. Impressive.

kzhtoo
January 12, 2020, 02:02 PM
Very nice review! Especially the part Alon talks about sealed design is very educational.

PeterA
January 13, 2020, 09:22 AM
Does anyone know the size of JA's room and whether it is live or a bit damped? I'm also curious about how the speakers were set up in the room. Lots of toe-in or more straight ahead?

Mike, do you ever demonstrate your Magico speakers with no toe-in? If not why not? I have recently toed-out my Q3s so they aim straight ahead and prefer the sound this way. I think Magico basically recommends aiming the tweeter at the listener's shoulders. Just curious. Thanks.

Mike
January 13, 2020, 09:58 AM
Does anyone know the size of JA's room and whether it is live or a bit damped? I'm also curious about how the speakers were set up in the room. Lots of toe-in or more straight ahead?

Mike, do you ever demonstrate your Magico speakers with no toe-in? If not why not? I have recently toed-out my Q3s so they aim straight ahead and prefer the sound this way. I think Magico basically recommends aiming the tweeter at the listener's shoulders. Just curious. Thanks.

Always with toe in aimed at the listeners shoulders. We learned this at Magico dealer training, among many other things.

No idea about JA’s room.

PeterA
January 13, 2020, 10:01 AM
Always with toe in aimed at the listeners shoulders. We learned this at Magico dealer training, among many other things.

No idea about JA’s room.

Thanks Mike. I was curious because JA discusses the wider dispersion performance of the M2 tweeter in his review. Perhaps straight ahead causes too many reflections for their current models.

Mike
January 13, 2020, 10:24 AM
Thanks Mike. I was curious because JA discusses the wider dispersion performance of the M2 tweeter in his review. Perhaps straight ahead causes too many reflections for their current models.

Unlikely. It’s all personal preference.

PeterA
January 13, 2020, 03:36 PM
Unlikely. It’s all personal preference.

Yes, I agree Mike. Have you tried it to hear the difference, or do you just set up the Magicos as per Magico preference?

Mike
January 13, 2020, 03:40 PM
Yes, I agree Mike. Have you tried it to hear the difference, or do you just set up the Magicos as per Magico preference?

I have tried. I think if I was listening to classical, I would prefer more straight on, creating a wider Soundfield. But I rarely listen to classical.

TechnicalPie
January 17, 2020, 12:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GNoJV8KAtM

TechnicalPie
January 17, 2020, 12:31 PM
https://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27141&stc=1 https://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27142&stc=1 https://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27143&stc=1

Mike
January 26, 2020, 10:27 AM
https://www.stereophile.com/content/magico-m2-loudspeaker

soastrup
April 10, 2020, 06:32 AM
The M2 was reviewed in the latest issue of HIFICritic and ended up with an Audio Excellence rating. The rating was earned only after the reviewer placed a calibrated piece of carpet under the Mpods to achieve a good speaker to floor integration…...

BlueFox
April 10, 2020, 07:33 AM
The M2 was reviewed in the latest issue of HIFICritic and ended up with an Audio Excellence rating. The rating was earned only after the reviewer placed a calibrated piece of carpet under the Mpods to achieve a good speaker to floor integration…...

There is always something new. What is a “calibrated piece of carpet”?

Ritmo
April 10, 2020, 07:44 AM

:congrats:

soastrup
April 10, 2020, 08:30 AM
Apparently adding a piece of "short pile, heavy duty, office grade wool carpet (woven hessian backing)" made all the difference. Go figure.

Calvin
April 10, 2020, 08:45 AM
Calibrated Carpet :roflmao: Watch out putting the word "calibrated" in front of "carpet" it will cost someone an extra $25 per square foot in the Audiophile world. And don't get me started about Calibrated Capacitor Carpeting for your amps.

Bart001
April 10, 2020, 11:47 AM

I sense an opportunity....just price it high enough and it'll sell.