PDA

View Full Version : Doh! I didn't mean for that to happen...

Bobvin
July 22, 2013, 11:52 PM
OK folks, chime in with your biggest "oops" moment. Stereo related, or other. I thought I really messed up when I dropped an album a few months back and scratched the hell out of one side, but today I really f__k'ed up:

i'm upstairs finishing shaving and the wife calls from her office. Please send me that file I left on the home computer... so I walk away from the sink leaving the water running slow, forgetting to return until there is water running out the ceiling light in the living room. Shit, the upstairs carpet is soaked, leaking through the subfloor, dripping to the hardwoods downstairs.

We have a high deductible for home owners insurance, so this will probably kill my new power cable budget. Dammit all to hell, I can't believe I just did that.

Was able to get ServePro out quickly to set up the air movers / dryers. Hopefully damage will be minor.

Mike
July 23, 2013, 12:37 AM
Bob - that sucks. I've done stuff like that too....except I'm getting to old to remember!

highEndguy
July 23, 2013, 10:55 AM
Sorry to hear that Bob,
To any situation there is a Bright side, now you have an excuse to spend more in your system
Because your wife had some or part of the guilt.

:)

Bobvin
July 23, 2013, 02:19 PM
Sorry to hear that Bob,
To any situation there is a Bright side, now you have an excuse to spend more in your system
Because your wife had some or part of the guilt.

Oh man, if only it worked that way! For me the bright side is I didn't have my power amp sitting beneath the leaking ceiling. Hmm, brings to mind another of my little F-ups. I was biasing the tubes in my ARC Ref110 a couple years back and conveniently dropped one of the probes from my voltmeter onto the circuit board. Bzzzzzk -- shorted a trace, and had the pleasure of packing and shipping the amp off to ARC. The repair was cheap, and they upgraded some parts, but that fits the topic of the thread nicely.

(I'm gonna start to look like a real ham-fisted guy if I keep up the confessions. :snicker:)

highEndguy
July 23, 2013, 02:53 PM
If we open ourselves with confessions, this will be the best tread by far
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

highEndguy
July 23, 2013, 02:59 PM
Here it is one of mine :
Some time ago I had a situation in my audio room.
The sound was good but the soundstage disappeared suddenly.
Was like that for many weeks. One day a friend was looking the back of my amp
and He said to me : "Nelson, You have one speaker with the cables inverted... Dohhh"
Every two months I disconnect all my system and cleaned all the cables and parts.
Looks that by mistake the last time I did the cleaning I put the cables wrong.

Bobvin
July 25, 2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks Nelson, from the scant replies it seems we are the only ones willing to fess up!

I did find a new place (other than the wife) to place some blame for my water debacle... it turned out my company's online shopping cart was wounded for a couple days. In solving that problem I learned our hosting company had reconfigured a few things, and this is what kept the original file stuck in my wife's outbox. And why my attempts to forward the file also got stuck in the outbox. Had they not chosen this little un-announced reconfig, my wife would never have called 'cause the file would have been sent the first time. Ugh, sometimes the universe seems to conspire against me. Though thankfully not too often as I have a blessed life.

highEndguy
July 25, 2013, 11:10 AM
Bob,
At least you find somebody to blame...ahahaahahahaha