PDA

View Full Version : B&W 800d3 with either Luxman or Gryphon amplification

Davros
December 3, 2019, 10:26 AM
Hi All

Wondering what would be the better match for a pair of 800d3, Luxman 900u or Gryphon Antileon/Diablo 300?

I have no ability to listen to either combination so hoped I could get some feedback from Mike and others on what you think is the best option.

Mainly listen to rock and pop music.

Cheers

Mike
December 3, 2019, 12:12 PM
Both are excellent choices because both amps are bipolar output circuits and steady down to 1ohm. The Luxman is sweet, clean, great separation and musical. The Gryphon is slightly warmer, wicked bass, also very musical and with class A, so more 3D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davros
December 4, 2019, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the reply Mike.

So would you say the Gryphon is less fatiguing on the B&W’s as I find they can sound a bit forward with the wrong amplification?

I do like a very dynamic sound but prefer a mid hall type sound that has good depth to the presentation. Unfortunately a lot of the 80’s music I like is compressed and needs partnering equipment that is a bit forgiving but don’t want to lose too much micro details.

Mike
December 4, 2019, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the reply Mike.

So would you say the Gryphon is less fatiguing on the B&W’s as I find they can sound a bit forward with the wrong amplification?

I do like a very dynamic sound but prefer a mid hall type sound that has good depth to the presentation. Unfortunately a lot of the 80’s music I like is compressed and needs partnering equipment that is a bit forgiving but don’t want to lose too much micro details.

Are you located in the U.S.?

Remember the B&W Diamond tweeter is a wide dispersion tweeter. Do not aim them at your ears. Aim them at just outside our shoulders or just on the edge of your shoulders. Incorrect setup is usually the cause of the concern you mentioned.

The darker nature of the Gryphon, and typical class A operation in general, helps to mitigate things. We are using multiple NAIM setups with great success on the B&W’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk