PDA

View Full Version : Turntable isolation solutions

Bart001
October 22, 2019, 11:43 AM
I'm wondering whether my tt's performance might be improved by better isolation.

We have a Rega RP-8, and it sits atop a Naim rack (Naim Fraim). Despite having traditional wood floors, it seems rather immune to footfalls. I've not TRIED to make it skip, but also it never has.

We prefer not to use a wall shelf, although that COULD be up for discussion. All things being equal I'd prefer to keep it where it is on the top level of one of the 2 Fraim stacks; it's easy to reach, and we prefer the aesthetics of not having a wall shelf.

Would a Rega benefit from better isolation? Any recommendations on technologies/brands/etc?

And given the rest of our system, a tt upgrade could be in the future. Perhaps a Rega P10, or the Vertere DG-1 looks really interesting.

Puma Cat
October 22, 2019, 05:02 PM
The isolation on the Rega is really good, so I would not mess with any footers, decouplers, etc. underneath it. All Regas are extremely carefully engineered by Roy Gandy to function as a system; he's proven for over 40 years that he's better at this than most everyone else in the TT industry. My guidance here would be: if its not broken, don't fix it.

If you still want to do something, my recommendation for your consideration would be to place your Rega on a nice rock maple board and use either IsoAcousic Orea footers under that, or cord & rubber antivibration pads. You could buy a really nice maple board supplied with the cord & rubber antivibration pads from Butcher Block Acoustics for a very reasonable price.

Mechnutt
October 24, 2019, 07:25 PM
For isolation on the cheap, you can use Vibrapods or Sorbothane pucks. I use Sorbothane pucks under my Thorens TD-145 and they seem to work well for vibration.