PDA

View Full Version : AudioQuest Dragon Power Cord Review

Mike
March 29, 2019, 12:34 PM
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/audioquest-dragon-ac-power-cords/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Smith
March 29, 2019, 04:54 PM
I was afraid of this. Just as I was thinking of Hurricanes.

But is the Dragon twice as good?

Please say no... :panic:

Mike
March 29, 2019, 05:08 PM
I was afraid of this. Just as I was thinking of Hurricanes.

But is the Dragon twice as good?

Please say no... :panic:

Oh yes it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alpinist
March 29, 2019, 06:43 PM
I love my AudioQuest Hurricanes, value engineered. And they sound terrific. No desire to upgrade.

Ken

steinkrieg
March 31, 2019, 04:16 PM
Hurricanes are fantastic... I have several... Recently I upgraded to Dragons on my main system. The difference is substantial (expecially on my DAC). Are they worth it? I think many people could be happy to have hurricanes for life. Just don't do an A/B test with Dragons and you will be fine. If you are seeking every little bit you can get, then Dragons are essential. Dragons definitely added that extra sparkle for me.

Alectiong
April 27, 2021, 08:04 AM
Has anyone A/B the Dragon with Nordost Odin 2 powercords?

Rnrmf
April 27, 2021, 03:26 PM
Has anyone A/B the Dragon with Nordost Odin 2 powercords?

Maybe Jay did that on his YouTube channel last year? I have some recollection of watching a demo of a few power cables on his channel and those could be 2/3.

ozzy
April 29, 2021, 03:02 PM
I now own the Dragon HC power cord. It is attached to my Audioquest Niagara 7000. It is a very special power cord for this application.

First off it was designed by the same people and was probably voiced together as a combo unit.
And secondly, I have owned so many power cords and the Dragon is the very best on the power conditioner. Even against the Odin.

BTW, I had also owned a Hurricane HC that I hoped would allow me to avoid paying so much for the Dragon. The Hurricane was ok, but had a boomy mid bass and generally didn't impress me. I ended up selling it.

So, as you can tell I highly recommended the Dragon, especially if you use it with the Audioquest power conditioners.

ozzy

FRO
April 30, 2021, 12:11 AM
Welcome to the Audioquest Club!

ozzy
April 30, 2021, 01:39 PM
Wow, pretty impressive!
But where is the plug that goes from the wall to the Niagara?

ozzy

FRO
April 30, 2021, 02:02 PM
Not in the pic, but I'm also using a Dragon HC like you!
Thanks.

Audiophilehi
November 22, 2021, 11:54 AM
Has anyone compared the Dragon to the Shunyata Omega?

Mike
November 22, 2021, 11:58 AM
Has anyone compared the Dragon to the Shunyata Omega?

We have both here, so yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Audiophilehi
November 22, 2021, 12:05 PM
We have both here, so yes.

Such a tease Mike. :snicker:

So any comments on the differences and what you preferred?

Mike
November 22, 2021, 12:11 PM
Such a tease Mike. :snicker:

So any comments on the differences and what you preferred?

Very system dependent.

Audiophilehi
November 22, 2021, 12:19 PM
Very system dependent.

Thanks Mike....much appreciated.

Rnrmf
November 22, 2021, 12:46 PM
I've heard both in my systems but the Omega was an early version and I don't think Shunyata had differentiated the Omega into QR, QR-s, and XC at the time I demo'd it.
If you've heard Shunyata cables and describe the sound is very transparent through the midrange, the Omega takes that signature to even greater levels with additional refinement. I totally agree it's component and system dependent. I think one might perceive that they hear more detail and separation with the Shunyata Omega.
The AQ Dragon has a more full, rich, yet extended and refined sound. It's more to my liking on components and systems I've tried it vs Omega but both cables are very fine products.

Alpinist
November 22, 2021, 01:32 PM
The AQ Dragon has a more full, rich, yet extended and refined sound. It's more to my liking on components and systems I've tried it vs Omega but both cables are very fine products.

It’s hard to put into words the improvement in sound quality by adding the AQ Dragon Source Power Cables to my MSB Select DAC. The level of transparency, detail and nuance, naturalness and refinement are just stunning. I tried several other high end power cords and none of them came even close to the musicality I am currently experiencing.

Ken

nc42acc
November 22, 2021, 03:19 PM
So where is the sweet spot with Audioquest cabling? The break point where it is still affordable to the masses and sounds better than the equivalent priced competitor?

Rnrmf
November 22, 2021, 03:38 PM
So where is the sweet spot with Audioquest cabling? The break point where it is still affordable to the masses and sounds better than the equivalent priced competitor?

My personal opinion would be get Dragon power cables and anything Earth or above in signal cables that suit your listening taste (if you were leaning toward using Audioquest for both purposes). I've used Earth and WEL interconnects with Dragon power cables and both sound great with totally different sound signatures.

Though I haven't heard Firebird power cables, I have demo'd Hurricane on numerous occasions and it's not in the same ballpark as Dragon.

Mike
November 22, 2021, 05:28 PM

For AQ? Hurricane. Much better than Tornado, almost as good as FireBird and way behind Dragon. But Hurricane gives you the transparency that you get with Firebird and dragon. Dragon just gives you a lot more.

Alpinist
November 23, 2021, 01:02 AM
For AQ? Hurricane. Much better than Tornado, almost as good as FireBird and way behind Dragon. But Hurricane gives you the transparency that you get with Firebird and dragon. Dragon just gives you a lot more.

I use a combination Hurricane and Dragon power cords. For instance, the 10 foot run from the wall outlet to my Niagara 5000 power conditioner is Hurricane high current. But for critical runs like to my Select DAC, I use Dragon Source. I could have used my entire power cord budget on the 10 foot cord, if I had gone with a Dragon high current cord.

Ken

ozzy
March 14, 2022, 03:11 PM
I just bought another Dragon. This one is the Source, and it will go to my Lumin X1 from the Niagara 7000.

ozzy

dminches
March 14, 2022, 05:04 PM
I use a combination Hurricane and Dragon power cords. For instance, the 10 foot run from the wall outlet to my Niagara 5000 power conditioner is Hurricane high current. But for critical runs like to my Select DAC, I use Dragon Source. I could have used my entire power cord budget on the 10 foot cord, if I had gone with a Dragon high current cord.

Ken

Ken, which cords are you using with the Vandy amps? Did you go directly from the stock cords to these or was there something in between?

Alpinist
March 15, 2022, 10:45 PM
I’ve had numerous high-end power cords on the Vandersteen M7-HPA monoblocks including the AudioQuest Hurricane High Current. After exhaustive listening comparisons I determined the stock power cords provided by Vandersteen by far sounded the best. There was a naturalness and musicality to these power cords, which was not present with the other power cords. The Hurricane HC power cords sounded very analytical to my ears and really detracted from the musicality of the entire system. I feel this is due the input stage and first gain stage of the Vandersteen monoblocks being tube driven, which requires very careful power cord matching.

Mike Bovaird recommends some of the Shunyata power cords to his customers that he has sold tube amps due to their smoothness. I’ve not had the opportunity to try these Shunyata cords as I am very pleased with the musicality of the stock cords on the Vandy monoblocks. More expensive is not always better in my opinion. I go by what my ears tell me. But if I were to try high-end cords again on the Vandy monoblocks, I suppose I would try the Shunyata cords Mike recommends for tube amps.

Ken

BlueFox
March 16, 2022, 12:08 AM
I love my Shunyata power cords. Without a doubt, they are the best upgrade I have done to my gear. Granted, I am now using an older generation of their product, but at the time it was TOTL. Good clean power makes all gear work at its best. If it doesn’t sound good then the gear has a problem.

ozzy
March 17, 2022, 07:40 PM
I had the Shunyata Sigma V2 and another of their top cables, the name escapes me. I compared those and I remember all the other power cords that I have tried though all these years, and to this day, I honestly believe, the Dragons are the very best power cords I have ever tried.
If you try one you will want to own it, it is that good!

ozzy

Mike
March 17, 2022, 08:08 PM
The Dragons are excellent. In my own system, I tried all Dragons and it wasn’t good. The Sigma V2’s were perfect.

ozzy
March 18, 2022, 12:51 PM
I think part of my pleasure with the Dragons stem from the fact that I also use the Niagara 7000. There is a synergy so to speak.
So different equipment reacts differently?

ozzy

Alpinist
March 18, 2022, 05:45 PM
I think part of my pleasure with the Dragons stem from the fact that I also use the Niagara 7000. There is a synergy so to speak.
So different equipment reacts differently?

ozzy

I agree it’s best to use AudioQuest power cords with the AudioQuest Niagara power conditioners. The Dragon Source power cords on my Select II DAC plugged into my Niagara 5000 are simply stunning. While the Hurricane HC power cords weren’t a good match on my hybrid tube/SS Vandersteen monoblocks that doesn’t mean I don’t like the Hurricane power cords. On the contrary, a Hurricane HC power cord resides between my wall outlet and Niagara 5000, and Hurricane Source power cords are used on my MSB UMT-V Signature Transport. All these Hurricane power cords sound terrific.

Ken

ozzy
March 18, 2022, 06:56 PM
Thanks. Well now I have the benefit of having the Niagara 7000 plugged into the wall with a Dragon High current and a Dragon source from the Niagara 7000 for my Lumin X1.

ozzy

kzhtoo
March 18, 2022, 10:51 PM
Interesting. My Everest with AQ Hurricane PC loom sound pretty good to me. But I have never tried a Niagara in my system.

Alpinist
March 19, 2022, 01:30 AM
Thanks. Well now I have the benefit of having the Niagara 7000 plugged into the wall with a Dragon High current and a Dragon source from the Niagara 7000 for my Lumin X1.

ozzy

I would love to have the AudioQuest Dragon HC power cord between the wall outlet and my Niagara 5000 but the 3.0 meter long power cord would be super expensive. I’ll stick with the Hurricane HC for the foreseeable future.

Ken

ozzy
March 19, 2022, 12:30 PM
Alpinist,
For sure a 3 meter would be $$$. I only needed a 1 meter each.

ozzy

ozzy
March 19, 2022, 12:34 PM
kzhtoo,
I have never tried an Everest. Probably sticking with the same cable from the same brand at least from the wall to the conditioner would be a good thing since they were probably made to work together.

ozzy

ozzy
March 23, 2022, 06:42 PM
Here is what I posted on Audiogon,

I installed a new AudioQuest Dragon Source power cord from my Lumin X1 to my Niagara 7000. The power cord from the wall to the Niagara 7000 is also a Dragon but the High Current version. I bought that cord used.

So, when I first started using the new power cord everything sounded great. However, after a couple of days I started hearing a strident sound. Especially in the upper mid/ treble region. The bass was also constricted. I started blaming the sound change on another piece of equipment that was installed concurrently.

Now, I was under the impression that the Dragon power cord with its DBS system required no break in. But I did inquire about it to AudioQuest who responded that it would still need about 150 hours to break in. It's been close to that now and sure enough yesterday I started hearing the glorious sound that I heard from day one with the power cord only perhaps better.

I must say the difference during break in and now is quite remarkable, I don't remember any other power cord going through this amount of dramatic change.

ozzy

ozzy
April 5, 2022, 07:56 PM
So, I just ordered another Source Dragon, that now will make 3 of them. At least this time I will know what to expect in break in.

ozzy

TommyC
April 6, 2022, 12:49 AM
Does Source or HC sound better on digital sources? The HC has bigger gauge wire.

Alpinist
April 6, 2022, 01:01 AM
Does Source or HC sound better on digital sources? The HC has bigger gauge wire.

Go with Dragon Source power cords on digital sources. They are specifically designed for digital sources. The improvement in sound quality they provided on my Select II DAC over other high-end power cords was stunning.

Ken

ozzy
April 6, 2022, 12:16 PM
Yes, I have a Dragon HC to my Niagara 7000 power conditioner. From that conditioner I am using the Source Dragons.

ozzy