PDA

View Full Version : MSB Premier DAC Review

Mike
December 3, 2018, 09:05 PM
www.mondoaudio.it/img/uploaded/files/Msb/Premier%20DAC%20-%20088-089%20MSB%20AR403.pdf

Google translation of high lights:

MSB PREMIER DAC on report
The D / a MSB PREMIER DAC Converter, last project of the California house, is tested by Marco Benedetti for report of November.
Below some excerpts, at the bottom the link to the entire review:

"... defining extremely convincing the result in the listening room is an understatement.
It is one of those dangerous products to try, because there is a concrete risk of suffering excruciatingly when the time comes to send them back."

" the inside is a show, we are used to the architectural beauty of the interior of the DAC MSB, but every time it is a

"... we are at the peaks of digital reproduction, let's say that 10 years ago similar results were absolutely unthinkable."

" in conclusion, even this time msb hit me hard, with a product of huge charm, which besides playing bloody well is built like a ferrari."

"to listen absolutely, but only if you can afford it, otherwise better not know"

Whole Review (PDF):
www.mondoaudio.it/img/uploaded/files/Msb/Premier%20DAC%20-%20088-089%20MSB%20AR403.pdf

Dguitarnut
December 6, 2018, 08:58 PM
Ohhhh mama mia, mama mia......I want one!.....
Bouna sera

mintakax
December 10, 2018, 01:27 PM
I have been considering sending my Discrete is for the Premier upgrade and keep talking myself out of doing so. This post does not help :) !

KeithR
December 10, 2018, 02:41 PM
I had the pleasure of several hours with the Femto 93 clock card upgrade in the Premier dac over the weekend. This card actually gets you lower jitter than the stock clock in the Reference dac.

To me, the clock upgrade is a much larger improvement than moving from double power supplies to the PowerBase. Considerably more vibrant, dynamic but with even more analog feel and decay. It was a bigger effect than I anticipated. I was hesitant to purchase it upfront, but likely will be upgrading at some point in 2019. The beauty of MSB yet again.

AJR
December 11, 2018, 08:29 AM
Thanks for this Keith. A Femto 93 upgrade is definitely a 2019 project for me. Good to know it is a significant step up from the Premier clock.

Billt1
December 20, 2018, 01:18 PM
I had the pleasure of several hours with the Femto 93 clock card upgrade in the Premier dac over the weekend. This card actually gets you lower jitter than the stock clock in the Reference dac.

To me, the clock upgrade is a much larger improvement than moving from double power supplies to the PowerBase. Considerably more vibrant, dynamic but with even more analog feel and decay. It was a bigger effect than I anticipated. I was hesitant to purchase it upfront, but likely will be upgrading at some point in 2019. The beauty of MSB yet again.

Keith , based on your statement I just ordered the Femto 93 for my premier. I was hesitant as the price relative to the original cost of the DAC seems disproportionate but Vince (MSB) said not the case. Will arrive in a week and I will update

KeithR
December 20, 2018, 01:23 PM
Keith , based on your statement I just ordered the Femto 93 for my premier. I was hesitant as the price relative to the original cost of the DAC seems disproportionate but Vince (MSB) said not the case. Will arrive in a week and I will update

Thanks Bill, look forward to your comments. It was not a small upgrade.

rhmmmm
December 31, 2018, 12:13 PM
Any initial impressions on the stock vs Femto clock on the Premier, Bill?

Billt1
December 31, 2018, 12:24 PM
Any initial impressions on the stock vs Femto clock on the Premier, Bill?
I think I should start a new topic for that answer as this thread has run a gamut of topics