PDA

View Full Version : My visit with Mark (MDP) and Dave

Mike
July 3, 2013, 05:16 PM
I spent the last three days visiting with Mark (MDP) in Dallas and our friend David - whom Mark introduced to me. During the first day, I had a chance to listen to Mark's system - Classe CAM-600's, CP-800, Salon 2's, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic 1 and Lyra Kleos and a Linn Akurate DS. His room is untreated in the artificial sense, but he has wonderful natural treatments with heavy furniture, thick carpets, plants and more. His room has no acoustic issues. It works!

The CAM-600's are well broken in because he never turns them off! The rest of the gear is also well broken in.

The combination of gear creates a wonderful synergy which can be described in one word: "Live". The music is very involving, in the toe tapping sense. There is no fatigue whatsoever and the magical tweeter in the Salon 2 (the best tweeter I have ever heard), puts his digital system on par with his vinyl. Both are extremely enjoyable and not fatiguing at all. Mark has achieved a wonderful sound system that rivals some of the best at 10 times the price.

On Tuesday, we traveled about 2 hours to meet with David. David, as some of you may know, has ALS. He is truly an inspiration to us all. He is at peace with himself and continues to enjoy life the best he can - one day at a time. Listening to David talk about his experiences, certainly puts into perspective a bad day at work or a bad day at golf. Those things, just don't matter.

David is a brilliant Home Theater designer and is passionate about two channel. His speakers of choice are Sonus Faber Futuras. He has a myriad of other gear, including Revel, JBL, Classe, Shunyata, Tara Labs, Soulution, Bryston, Mark Levinson, Accuphase and more. David was Harman dealer of the year in 2011 - and he achieved this from a town of 100,000 people - proving that great service from a great guy are keys to success. He certainly doesn't sell....he lets people buy.

I want to thank David and especially thank Mark for being such a wonderful and gracious host. He has a lovely home and a music system that rivals some of the best I've ever heard - at any price.

joeinid
July 3, 2013, 05:27 PM
Great write up Mike. I wish I could have been there with you guys. I know you all had fun! Thanks for sharing.

NorthStar
July 3, 2013, 05:32 PM
It sounds like David is truly a very nice guy, down-to-earth, and with a very good solid life's philosophy. :cool:

He should be with people from the same 'entourage'; us, right here. :)
...We totally welcome people of his caliber with wide open arms.

cmalak
July 3, 2013, 05:33 PM
Mike/Mark...thanks for sharing and glad you all had a good time together.

HiFive
July 3, 2013, 05:43 PM
Mike and Mark.
Sound you had fun, and thanks for sharing.

jwhite613
July 3, 2013, 06:15 PM
Mike... Thanks for sharing your get together!!!

MDP
July 3, 2013, 07:07 PM
I spent the last three days visiting with Mark (MDP) in Dallas and our friend David - whom Mark introduced to me. During the first day, I had a chance to listen to Mark's system - Classe CAM-600's, CP-800, Salon 2's, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic 1 and Lyra Kleos and a Linn Akurate DS. His room is untreated in the artificial sense, but he has wonderful natural treatments with heavy furniture, thick carpets, plants and more. His room has no acoustic issues. It works!

The CAM-600's are well broken in because he never turns them off! The rest of the gear is also well broken in.

The combination of gear creates a wonderful synergy which can be described in one word: "Live". The music is very involving, in the toe tapping sense. There is no fatigue whatsoever and the magical tweeter in the Salon 2 (the best tweeter I have ever heard), puts his digital system on par with his vinyl. Both are extremely enjoyable and not fatiguing at all. Mark has achieved a wonderful sound system that rivals some of the best at 10 times the price.

On Tuesday, we traveled about 2 hours to meet with David. David, as some of you may know, has ALS. He is truly an inspiration to us all. He is at peace with himself and continues to enjoy life the best he can - one day at a time. Listening to David talk about his experiences, certainly puts into perspective a bad day at work or a bad day at golf. Those things, just don't matter.

David is a brilliant Home Theater designer and is passionate about two channel. His speakers of choice are Sonus Faber Futuras. He has a myriad of other gear, including Revel, JBL, Classe, Shunyata, Tara Labs, Soulution, Bryston, Mark Levinson, Accuphase and more. David was Harman dealer of the year in 2011 - and he achieved this from a town of 100,000 people - proving that great service from a great guy are keys to success. He certainly doesn't sell....he lets people buy.

I want to thank David and especially thank Mark for being such a wonderful and gracious host. He has a lovely home and a music system that rivals some of the best I've ever heard - at any price.

Thanks Michael, I had a wonderful time !! Thanks for the nice complements , I appreciate the nice words about my system, It means a lot because of what a great system you have. I was a little nervous about you listening to my setup after what you listen to everyday !!

Petro85
July 3, 2013, 07:25 PM
Cool!! Glad you guys had fun.

socfan12
July 3, 2013, 07:30 PM
Sounds like a great time! Good friends, good gear, and good music! Life doesn't get any better than that!:coolyeah:

dlb2
July 3, 2013, 07:44 PM
Sounds like a great time! Good friends, good gear, and good music! Life doesn't get any better than that!

A big +1 right there! You made good use of your jellybeans guys!

highEndguy
July 3, 2013, 08:32 PM
Next trip
To my country, Dominican Republic
:)

Mike
July 3, 2013, 09:25 PM
Next trip

Again? :)

highEndguy
July 3, 2013, 09:37 PM
I can't get never enough from your SUPER SMILE

Mike
July 3, 2013, 09:40 PM
I can't get never enough from your SUPER SMILE

This one?

joeinid
July 3, 2013, 10:00 PM
What a great photo.

Paul
July 3, 2013, 11:26 PM
[QUOTE=highEndguy;20406]I can't get never enough from your SUPER SMILE

Who's that in that picture ? Mike and Mark ? Or Mark and Mike ?

NorthStar
July 3, 2013, 11:31 PM
I wanna know too. :)

* Lesse: Mark is supposed to be a hippie; I ain't seeing no hippie here! :D

- Just a wild guess (but I could be also completely wrong); Mark on the left and Mike on the right (slightly behind).

Paul
July 3, 2013, 11:42 PM
I wanna know too. :)

* Lesse: Mark is supposed to be a hippie; I ain't seeing no hippie here! :D

- Just a wild guess (but I could be also completely wrong); Mark on the left and Mike on the right (slightly behind).

My guess is Mike on the left and Mark on the right. Well whoever is on the left looks so familiar. Hmmmm...

Mike
July 3, 2013, 11:45 PM
Nelson and me. Nelson is the taller guy.

Paul
July 3, 2013, 11:48 PM
Nelson and me. Nelson is the taller guy.

Thanks Mike :) You look very different than I thought.....in a good way :)

NorthStar
July 4, 2013, 12:14 AM
Nelson (left) and me (right).

That's funny Mike; I was just going to say that!

sharkmouth
July 4, 2013, 03:46 AM
Thanks Michael, I had a wonderful time !! Thanks for the nice complements , I appreciate the nice words about my system, It means a lot because of what a great system you have. I was a little nervous about you listening to my setup after what you listen to everyday !!

mark, don't sweat it, Mike's got tin ears!! :fingers: :D :D

f1 fan
July 4, 2013, 07:49 AM
I like get together's like this, sounds like you guys had fun.

Dave

MDP
July 4, 2013, 09:39 AM
Next trip

Sounds good to me ,Nelson !! If I come to the DR, I'm bringing my golf clubs with me :exciting:

highEndguy
July 4, 2013, 09:53 AM
Sounds good to me ,Nelson !! If I come to the DR, I'm bringing my golf clubs with me :exciting:

You have a deal !!!!
Our Golf courses are in the top world list

Nelson

MDP
July 4, 2013, 10:18 AM
You have a deal !!!!

Nelson

Trust me, I know !! "Teeth of The Dog" !!

MDP
July 4, 2013, 10:24 AM
I wanted to say something else about how good it is to have get togethers with other audiophiles. When Mike was here he asked if he could play around with my speaker positions, I told him "have at it". When he left to go back to Florida, I sat down and listened to my system and I was amazed at how much better the sound was !! I thought I had them setup pretty damn good, I was wrong. My system sounds the best it's ever sounded.

Thanks,my brother !!!!

highEndguy
July 4, 2013, 10:24 AM
:coolyeah:
:cool::cool:

f1 fan
July 4, 2013, 10:35 AM
Awesome, that's what friends are for.

Dave

Mike
July 4, 2013, 10:41 AM
I wanted to say something else about how good it is to have get togethers with other audiophiles. When Mike was here he asked if he could play around with my speaker positions, I told him "have at it". When he left to go back to Florida, I sat down and listened to my system and I was amazed at how much better the sound was !! I thought I had them setup pretty damn good, I was wrong. My system sounds the best it's ever sounded.

Thanks,my brother !!!!

You're very welcome. Next time I'll bring my speaker setup CD's and get them dialed in that last 1%. I will say, those speakers are a delight to work with.

dlb2
July 4, 2013, 10:48 AM
Mike, I see that your "planned" Family Room system is what Mark is running at his place. Are you guys swapping gear? :)

MDP
July 4, 2013, 11:04 AM
Mike, I see that your "planned" Family Room system is what Mark is running at his place. Are you guys swapping gear? :)

I wish !! I'll take that crappy gear of his in trade, only because we're friends :snicker:

Mike
July 4, 2013, 11:32 AM

Mark's system is a recipe for amazing sound, that won't break the bank. Speed, dynamics, the best midrange-tweeter integration you could imagine and real sweet sounding. It's very involving. Toe tapping.

There is one downside to it - it sound so clean with no fatigue that you end up listening at much higher volumes!

dlb2
July 4, 2013, 11:36 AM
I wish !! I'll take that crappy gear of his in trade, only because we're friends :snicker:

:D

Hey Mark how's the Kleos sounding?

MDP
July 4, 2013, 01:59 PM
:D

Hey Mark how's the Kleos sounding?

Doug, it's just amazing !! I'm going to keep it for a long,long time :woot:

NorthStar
July 4, 2013, 02:55 PM
You have a deal !!!!

Nelson

Ya, they all say that! ...Australia, Africa, Augusta, Canada, Japan, Dubai, etc. :)

MDP
July 4, 2013, 02:58 PM
Ya, they all say that! ...Australia, Africa, Canada, Japan, Dubai, etc. :)

How about BC , Bob ? I was thinking about a golf trip up there !!

NorthStar
July 4, 2013, 03:00 PM
Some nice golf courses everywhere in the world, BC included.

It's the same with women .... :)

highEndguy
July 4, 2013, 04:32 PM
Some nice golf courses everywhere in the world, BC included.

It's the same with women .... :)

Bob,
You crack me up , :)
Dominican Republic have the best of everything !!!!
hahahahahaha
Public Tourist promotion....
Love you man

MDP
July 4, 2013, 04:36 PM
Bob,
You crack me up , :)
Dominican Republic have the best of everything !!!!
hahahahahaha
Public Tourist promotion....
Love you man

How about the women, Nelson ??

:P

highEndguy
July 4, 2013, 04:40 PM
How about the women, Nelson ??

:P

The best !!!!
Hahahahaha

MDP
July 4, 2013, 04:43 PM
The best !!!!
Hahahahaha

This post is worthless without pictures !!!!

Mike
July 4, 2013, 04:54 PM

NorthStar
July 4, 2013, 05:05 PM
Funny how beautiful women and golf courses are part of audiophiles' visits! ;) :D

MDP
July 4, 2013, 05:11 PM
Funny how beautiful women and golf courses are part of audiophiles' visits! ;) :D

Bob, those two things are what floats my boat !!

NorthStar
July 4, 2013, 05:15 PM
That makes at least two of us, normal people.

highEndguy
July 4, 2013, 07:52 PM
Thank you Mike

highEndguy
July 4, 2013, 07:53 PM
I wanted to upload a picture of my wife but she is pregnant
Hahaha

joeinid
July 4, 2013, 09:20 PM
I wanted to upload a picture of my wife but she is pregnant
Hahaha

I am sure she is beautiful. Pregnant women have a glow about them.

NorthStar
July 4, 2013, 10:05 PM
Babies love music too! :) ...A boy, a girl, Nelson?

iamhifi
July 4, 2013, 10:07 PM
Mike,
Sounds like you all had a great time; you all bring a smile to my face, which is what I love about this forum. Nelson you my friend are always smiling, now I know that Mike does to.
Angel

highEndguy
July 4, 2013, 11:51 PM
Babies love music too! :) ...A boy, a girl, Nelson?

Baby Girl,
Vera Lucia Gomez

Mike
July 5, 2013, 12:00 AM
Baby Girl,
Vera Lucia Gomez

Beautiful!

NorthStar
July 5, 2013, 12:52 AM
Lovely name indeed, and if she looks only half her Dad, she'll be gorgeous too.

* Best of luck to you three Nelson! :)

highEndguy
July 5, 2013, 06:39 AM
Lovely name indeed, and if she looks only half her Dad, she'll be gorgeous too.

* Best of luck to you three Nelson! :)

Thank you , Bob

MDP
July 5, 2013, 07:48 AM
Baby Girl,
Vera Lucia Gomez

Beautiful name,Nelson !!

highEndguy
July 5, 2013, 08:17 AM
Thank You Mark & Mike.