PDA

View Full Version : Audio Research SP-11

MikeCh
April 10, 2018, 02:08 PM
I've gone full circle over a three year period and am now listening with a new-to-me, circa 1985-ish, cosmetically NM, recently factory serviced SP-11 once again. I am smitten.

Three years ago I had an SP-11 that I sold before purchasing an Aesthetix Calypso Signature. The Calypso is a very fine linestage preamplifier in its own right and is ultra flexible having both balanced and SE inputs and outputs. The SP-11 in my opinion equals the Calypso's sound quality AND affords the user perhaps the most flexible gain control in a preamp that's ever been designed. Offering an infinitely adjustable gain level to feed a power amp or pair of mono amps is a hard thing to live without once you've had a chance to use it. The result of having a variable gain like the SP-11 equates to a preamp that can match and drive most any amplifier.

Paired with both my ARC D-130 amp and/or a pair of Nord One UP mono's (the Nord's are balanced input only so I'm using RCA > XLR cables), the sound is sublime. I've only used the Nord's balanced (with the Calypso) until now, and understand their SE performance should be less than ideal. However, with the variable gain that the SP-11 affords, it drives the pair of Nord's without problem and the Nord's sound every bit as good as when being driven balanced IMO.

Sorry for the low quality phone pictures, but they are all I have at the moment.

http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22398&stc=1
w/ ARC D-130

http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22399&stc=1
w/Nord One UP mono's

Jozua
April 10, 2018, 05:01 PM
I love it when "old" equipment brings huge amount of joy- it is a magical experience when it happens.

Mikado463
April 10, 2018, 05:05 PM
Classic ARC, I love it !! :congrats:

it amazes me sometimes when folks think the 'latest and greatest' is the 'best', oh , how not so true !!

Mike
April 10, 2018, 05:15 PM
Congrats Mike! Looks sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeinid
April 10, 2018, 05:48 PM
Awesome Mike! So happy for you. When something works, and works this well, it's smart to stick with it. Seems like a great anchor for your system.

MikeCh
April 10, 2018, 09:15 PM
Guys, thanks for the kind words. Really enjoying the preamp again this time around!

Randy Myers
April 12, 2018, 12:47 AM
Gratz... really like ARC pre-amps!

Kuoppis
April 12, 2018, 05:06 PM
Great to see a nice match.

If something is really good, simple existence of newer contenders for the same job does not decrease its performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikeCh
April 13, 2018, 10:46 AM
Great to see a nice match.

If something is really good, simple existence of newer contenders for the same job does not decrease its performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Kuoppis,

Thanks for the kind words. What you've described as, "If something is really good, simple existence of newer contenders for the same job does not decrease its performance" I would also describe as "great value".

Owning and using a piece of kit like the SP-11 of this age and that performs at this level is quite eye (ear) opening. The fact that ARC is willing and able to work on and supply parts for equipment that is 30+ years old is a bonus and simply adds even more value to the gear IMO.