PDA

View Full Version : A Moving Coil phono stage or a more expensive high output cartridge ?

Joseph R.
April 2, 2018, 11:47 PM
I would like to draw on other’s experience. There is a MM phono stage built into my Quicksilver full function preamp. I have been very happy with it for many years.

Seems I’ve come to a crossroads where the high output carts I have been buying lately have not been doing it for me (in the $600 to $700 range). I simply cannot get my TT close to the quality of my digital. I am not looking to surpass my digital, but would like to get my analog close enough to satisfy.

I would like my next cartridge purchase to be my last. So my question is: Should I spend $1,500 (about double of my recent purchases) on a superior high output phono cartridge, or should a spend $1,000 on a low output cart and possibly another $1,000 on a MC phono stage ?

At this time I am not looking to spend $5,000 or more on a new TT. My record collection is comprised mostly of old ‘70’s vinyl. Just looking to get my Denon DP-755 DD table and SME M2-9R to perform at their optimum.

Jack
April 3, 2018, 01:02 AM
Joe

Based on the rave reviews from reviewers and owners I would look into the Gold Note PH-10 phono stage and from personal experience the Denon DL-301 Mk II cartridge. The Gold Note is available from multiple dealers in the US and the Denon, which is no longer imported into the US, is still available on Ebay from a couple of dealers in New England. I have run the Denon on both the DP-62L and currently on my JVC. Both with the the Electronically controlled tonearms.

Joseph R.
April 3, 2018, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the recommendation Jack, but The Gold Note PH-10 by itself blows my budget. It’s many upgrades are also of concern. If I am not mistaken the Denon is a fairly inexpensive cartridge. At least it is at the lowest end as far as MC carts go. My concern is that I will be looking to upgrade sooner than later. In any case the combination is price-ier than my whole TT rig. I find it hard to believe that a $1,500 high output cart could not compete with the Denon, or at least come very close to the Gold Note + Denon combo. But I must admit, I am not talking from experience. Auditioning carts is an expensive undertaking. And I have no low output MC carts in my arsenal.

Mike
April 3, 2018, 09:47 AM
I would like to draw on other’s experience. There is a MM phono stage built into my Quicksilver full function preamp. I have been very happy with it for many years.

Seems I’ve come to a crossroads where the high output carts I have been buying lately have not been doing it for me (in the $600 to $700 range). I simply cannot get my TT close to the quality of my digital. I am not looking to surpass my digital, but would like to get my analog close enough to satisfy.

I would like my next cartridge purchase to be my last. So my question is: Should I spend $1,500 (about double of my recent purchases) on a superior high output phono cartridge, or should a spend $1,000 on a low output cart and possibly another $1,000 on a MC phono stage ?

At this time I am not looking to spend $5,000 or more on a new TT. My record collection is comprised mostly of old ‘70’s vinyl. Just looking to get my Denon DP-755 DD table and SME M2-9R to perform at their optimum.

Check out the iFi Phono 2, it’s really good and cheap.

slowgeezr
April 3, 2018, 08:48 PM
Joseph, you could try a step up transformer for use with your current phono pre section. K&K audio makes some very nice units for not a lot of money.

fjn04
April 4, 2018, 06:36 PM
I would speak with Bob from Bob's Devices about a Charisma 103 cartridge, and the version of SUT he suggests pairing with it. I just can't speak for the 103's compatibility with your tonearm. I give this advice for a couple of reasons. 1) I own the Charisma 103, and I think it's a very good cartridge. 2) Someone who I trust carries the standard 103, along with some other very well recognized HO, and MM carts. He said he would take a standard 103 with a good SUT over all of them. Quicksilver makes nice gear, and this way you could still listen through it's phono section.

Joseph R.
April 6, 2018, 10:42 PM
Thanks Mike, Steve and fjn04. I appreciate your input and help. Not much of an ifi guy. This is from experience, as I bought an ifi dac and would have been better off throwing $500 in the garbage pail. Went on Bob’s devices website today. The cheapest SUT I saw was $1,200. The Quicksilver transformer is $695.00. It also is hardwired with an IC. The K&K stuff is a possibility. Must digest this move as it seems my expectations for carts is higher than I am willing to spend. I guess I was hoping that someone would have a magic bullet with some high output cartridge. But concensus is pointing otherwise. Thanks again.

Petro85
April 8, 2018, 10:19 PM
Check out the iFi Phono 2, it’s really good and cheap.
100% great recommendation. i borrowed an ifi iphono 1 and it has the a mod in it supposedly the same as iphono2 has in it. and i am blown away by it. i sold my allnic 1201 and bought this. i use a mm cart and have borrowed some zyx mc for a few days and it is great on both settings. i have not messed with the settings on the bottom as the guy who put the mod in this said not to. i highly recommend it and the review i read that said this had high priced phono manufacturers running for cover is totally spot on.

wisnon
January 14, 2019, 09:30 AM
I agree Petros, I use mine with a Hynes external 15v Linear Power supply, not the stock iPower SMPS.

Try1256
January 14, 2019, 01:06 PM
Hey Joe. I know we have had the conversation about your experience with Soundsmith but I would encourage you to revisit the possibility. Music Direct has the Aida on sale now for about $1200. It is the outgoing body style. High output so you could use your existing phono stage. You are welcome to come by and give a listen to mine if you would like. It is mounted on an SME arm.
Tim