PDA

View Full Version : Does ARC Ref 6 match Spectral DMA-360 or DMA-400

MM622
March 28, 2018, 05:59 AM
I'm using Ref 6 with a pair of Electrocompaniet AW-180 mono-block amp, since my amp is already 5 to 6 years old, I'm planning to get a new amp to replace it. Someone said ARC Ref 6 sounds great to work with Spectral DMA-360 and DMA-400? Does anybody have experience listen to a Ref 6/ 5 with Spectral DMA amp? thx

mdp632
March 28, 2018, 06:38 AM
I'm using Ref 6 with a pair of Electrocompaniet AW-180 mono-block amp, since my amp is already 5 to 6 years old, I'm planning to get a new amp to replace it. Someone said ARC Ref 6 sounds great to work with Spectral DMA-360 and DMA-400? Does anybody have experience listen to a Ref 6/ 5 with Spectral DMA amp? thx

You can use a Spectral pre amp with your amp of choice but, NOT a Spectral amp with another manufacturers pre amp. Well, technically it might work but , the sound won't be good and you'll void the warranty if any.They are also expensive to repair out of warranty. The factory will know if you used an non Spectral pre amp and non MIT cables. The electronics will oscillate, overheat and eventually fail. IMHO if you like the Spectral sound but, don't want to use their pre amp.

Try the German brand Audionet. They are another Ultra linear , fast, wide bandwidth design. Very Neutral. They don't have the pre amp/MIT requirement that Spectral has.

Or buy yourself a Spectral pre amp first and use the AW-180s with it. Then down the road if you like; get the matching amp.