PDA

View Full Version : Magico M3 Reviewed by TAS

Mike
March 6, 2018, 01:56 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180306/82fb0e0e89d50d53249783c60e41e89b.jpg

I sure love mine!

PeterA
March 6, 2018, 06:47 PM
I just heard these at a dealer. They are incredible. Ultra resolution delivered in a completely natural, non-fatiguing way. I was extremely impressed and it was a demo that I will not soon forget. I look forward to reading the review, but I'm glad I heard them before reading it.

KeithR
March 6, 2018, 10:07 PM
JV loves the M3? No way, I don’t believe you.

Tony007
March 7, 2018, 07:59 AM
M3's will take you straight to the "exit door" on the merry-go-round :D

PeterA
March 7, 2018, 08:51 AM
M3's will take you straight to the "exit door" on the merry-go-round :D

Shaken and stirred, but not dizzy, 007.

walesi
March 7, 2018, 02:23 PM
Budget speaker extravaganza indeed :D

Too bad we don't get the TAS here anymore on the newsstands.

still-one
March 13, 2018, 11:49 AM
Just read the glowing review in TAS. I have to agree that they are a fine speaker after hearing them in Mike's store. I could not fault anyone who would decide that they were the right speaker for them. Need to be paired with some nice SS amps.

Cincy2
March 19, 2018, 01:25 PM
Just read the glowing review in TAS. I have to agree that they are a fine speaker after hearing them in Mike's store. I could not fault anyone who would decide that they were the right speaker for them. Need to be paired with some nice SS amps.

I bought one of the first pairs Mike received. Haven't EVER regretted that decision. They are an amazing creation.

Cincy

PeterA
March 19, 2018, 03:21 PM
I just read the review too. I have heard them and am very impressed. It is a superb speaker. I wish Valin had talked a little bit about how they compare to the Q3 which is the speaker they replaced. No speaker is perfect, but Valin did not seem to find anything wrong with the M3. I spent more time comparing it to the M Pro and the M6, but it would have been a much more interesting read if he had talked about other speakers of similar size from Magico and perhaps some of the competition. I don't really see how the review helps someone in the market for this size speaker.

brodricj
March 20, 2018, 09:25 AM
My Q3 are out there for sale, as soon as they're sold I'm ordering M3.

M3 is a financial struggle for me, surplus stuff has to go first, and a diet of 2-minute noodles for the rest of my life!

From what I understand, M3 fit on the M6 MPOD tri-stand, and you can order them that way.

JimmyS
March 20, 2018, 06:20 PM
My Q3 are out there for sale, as soon as they're sold I'm ordering M3.

M3 is a financial struggle for me, surplus stuff has to go first, and a diet of 2-minute noodles for the rest of my life!

From what I understand, M3 fit on the M6 MPOD tri-stand, and you can order them that way.

Thinking about if I should stick with my S3's, move to Q3's, or just wait it out for the M3's. Heard them twice in a less than perfect room setup and they sounded very good, but need hear what they really can do. M3's sure would hit my "pizza & beer" budget hard.

the professor
March 20, 2018, 08:06 PM
My $.02

DON"T go from the S series to the Q series. Both have their good parts, some good some bad.

The M series has the best from both!

the professor
March 20, 2018, 08:07 PM
The new A series might be the way to go. But I have not heard them in person.

brodricj
March 21, 2018, 06:40 AM
I hardly think that anybody contemplating Q or M would end up with A.

Tony007
March 21, 2018, 07:17 AM

+1

brodricj
March 21, 2018, 11:00 AM
My $.02

DON"T go from the S series to the Q series. Both have their good parts, some good some bad.

I was happy with both S and Q. I'd heard neither before I bought them. And I also won't get to hear M before ordering.

AJR
March 21, 2018, 01:24 PM
+1

+2. Have heard some nonsense saying cannot judge the A3 until it has been heard. Um, it is clearly a step down from the S series. Let alone the Q and M series. As for value for money, that is a legitimate question.

Penthouse-D
March 21, 2018, 03:47 PM
I've had Q5's, S5's and S3's. I'd strongly suggest staying away from the Q series. Very difficult to drive properly. I think the S series are far more "musical". If you have the $$$ to spend,I'm sure the "M"' series will be wonderful...

PeterA
March 21, 2018, 04:56 PM
I've had Q5's, S5's and S3's. I'd strongly suggest staying away from the Q series. Very difficult to drive properly. I think the S series are far more "musical". If you have the $$$ to spend,I'm sure the "M"' series will be wonderful...

That is a strong warning. Have you heard the Q1 or Q3? I have heard them both sound excellent in the right room and system. Speaker positioning is critical. I have also heard the Q5, and yes, it is a very tough load.

brodricj
March 21, 2018, 06:28 PM
That is a strong warning. Have you heard the Q1 or Q3? I have heard them both sound excellent in the right room and system. Speaker positioning is critical...

Actually, I think not that critical for Q3, certainly compared to ported speakers like Wilson, etc. I can be laying down on my 3-seater couch with one ear pointing towards the speakers and my head next to the wall and they still sound great. Electronics are important, and everything else. If you still get good sound in the way I often find myself listening tells me that speaker positioning is not all that critical. I also got good sound from S3 (which is what I upgraded from).

the professor
March 21, 2018, 07:16 PM
Probably not for many reasons.

But, in past experience with the product lines of Magico. Each new series of speakers seems to be more and more musical - from what I've read, the A series might surprise us. I'm keeping an open mind.

brodricj
March 21, 2018, 07:25 PM
The A is a big side-step from anything they've done in the past. Budget friendly. Sub-contracting out the cabinet manufacture. No colour or finish options. etc. But it is still a Magico, and they wouldn't do it unless it was a Magico. For all that means.

Mike
March 21, 2018, 07:38 PM
I think the A3 could upset the S1 mk2 Apple cart. I’m anxious to hear mine. Should have them SOON!!

So far, anything with “3” in it from Magico has been KILLER in the right sized room. Was listening to my S3 mk2’s today. Man, total disappearing act. Love them. M3’s are OMG good. I was listening to Anita Baker’s Rapture album and in total disbelief of what I was hearing with the accompanying MSB and Gryphon and MIT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJR
March 21, 2018, 08:32 PM
I forgot about the S1 mk2! That would be a great showdown.

brodricj
March 22, 2018, 09:09 AM
...So far, anything with “3” in it from Magico has been KILLER in the right sized room. Was listening to my S3 mk2’s today. Man, total disappearing act. Love them. M3’s are OMG good...

So I made the right choice then? When you are at Q3, do you go down to S3Mk2 or up to M3? I went for M3.

kzhtoo
March 22, 2018, 11:45 AM
I think the A3 could upset the S1 mk2 Apple cart. I’m anxious to hear mine. Should have them SOON!!

So far, anything with “3” in it from Magico has been KILLER in the right sized room. Was listening to my S3 mk2’s today. Man, total disappearing act. Love them. M3’s are OMG good. I was listening to Anita Baker’s Rapture album and in total disbelief of what I was hearing with the accompanying MSB and Gryphon and MIT.

Agree with Magico, Gryphon and MIT pairing. Even “lowly” S3 mk1, Diablo 300 and MIT Evo One pairing sounds superb.

Tony007
March 22, 2018, 12:00 PM
So I made the right choice then? When you are at Q3, do you go down to S3Mk2 or up to M3? I went for M3.

Congratulations on the upgrade!! :congrats:

PeterA
March 22, 2018, 01:09 PM
Congratulations on the upgrade!! :congrats:

How big an upgrade is it from Q3 to M3? Has anyone directly compared the two?

Tony007
March 22, 2018, 01:16 PM
How big an upgrade is it from Q3 to M3? Has anyone directly compared the two?

I will have the answer to that very question next week once my used M3's get delivered. :yahoo1:

AJR
March 22, 2018, 02:11 PM
I am almost as excited as you are. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts.

AJR
March 22, 2018, 02:11 PM
I am almost as excited as you are. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts.

AJR
March 22, 2018, 02:35 PM
Was listening to my S3 mk2’s today. Man, total disappearing act. Love them. M3’s are OMG good. I was listening to Anita Baker’s Rapture album and in total disbelief of what I was hearing with the accompanying MSB and Gryphon and MIT.

Had a couple of close friends join me tonight for a music jam session. They were blown away. And I finally appreciated the Rolling Stones. The Gryphon/Magico combo makes music come alive. The litmus test is do you end up listening for many hours more than what you intended. Thank you Mike.

JimmyS
March 22, 2018, 03:36 PM
I will have the answer to that very question next week once my used M3's get delivered. :yahoo1:

USED M3's? Wow, now that is a FIND :). I should be on the look out more closely I guess.

Tony007
March 22, 2018, 04:20 PM
USED M3's? Wow, now that is a FIND :). I should be on the look out more closely I guess.

Not so much a find as they were purchased from a friend. :snicker:

kzhtoo
March 22, 2018, 04:51 PM
Had a couple of close friends join me tonight for a music jam session. They were blown away. And I finally appreciated the Rolling Stones. The Gryphon/Magico combo makes music come alive. The litmus test is do you end up listening for many hours more than what you intended. Thank you Mike.

MPODs? That’ll elevate the S3 mk2 by a notch or two.

PeterA
March 22, 2018, 05:36 PM
MPODs? That’ll elevate the S3 mk2 by a notch or two.

Or SPODs designed for the S series. I know the MPODs are effective having heard them on the MPro, but I have not heard the SPODs.

BlueFox
March 22, 2018, 06:29 PM
I have the SPODs on my S5 MKII. They 'tightened' up the bass a bit, but since my speakers are on my living room floor, and that is on a concrete slab, which sits on the ground, there isn't much vibration to eliminate. I bet if I had a basement, or crawlspace, under the floor there would have been a bigger effect.

brodricj
March 22, 2018, 07:11 PM

Used M3 are out there, I've seen 2 pairs in the past week. I was going to buy used, but they hold their value so well I decided to buy new (i.e. Nothing to be saved buying used, yet).

kzhtoo
March 22, 2018, 11:18 PM
Or SPODs designed for the S series. I know the MPODs are effective having heard them on the MPro, but I have not heard the SPODs.

Peter, sorry I meant SPODs. I was thinking SPODs but somehow I typed MPODs. I have a set of SPODs on my S3 mk1 and I wouldn’t have them any other way.

AJR
March 23, 2018, 12:49 AM
My floor is solid marble. Do you think SPODS could make a noticeable improvement? Just some bass tightening or could there be other sonic improvements?

VT Skier
March 23, 2018, 08:16 AM
Used M3 are out there, I've seen 2 pairs in the past week. I was going to buy used, but they hold their value so well I decided to buy new (i.e. Nothing to be saved buying used, yet).

Last ones I saw, with MPods, listed at $55, and went quickly.

Mike
March 23, 2018, 08:49 AM
I still have a pair of M Pro’s I’m selling for a client. $65k + ship mint condition.

ack
March 23, 2018, 10:26 AM
Read Valin's review last night - totally agree they need subs. I actually don't like the M3s so far, and at the core of it is the lack of low-end heft ... and Valin has a small room.

Tony007
March 23, 2018, 12:53 PM
I still have a pair of M Pro’s I’m selling for a client. $65k + ship mint condition.

That’s a really great price!

brodricj
March 23, 2018, 10:03 PM
Last ones I saw, with MPods, listed at $55, and went quickly.

There is a pair in <not saying publicly> for $46,800 USD on MPOD. It was the pair I was going to buy, but ordered new instead.

JimmyS
March 24, 2018, 08:30 AM
I wish I had a larger room to allow for them. Don’t think the wife would be too thrilled with moving to let me have bigger speakers ;).

Penthouse-D
March 24, 2018, 03:22 PM
I think you've made a fine choice. Enjoy...

Iansr
March 25, 2018, 12:10 PM
Is the new TAS review available online?

brodricj
March 25, 2018, 06:53 PM
You can read a copy of it on the absolutehiend website.

wgerman
March 28, 2018, 05:01 PM
http://absolutehiend.com/media/wysiwyg/pdf/TASM3.pdf

Iansr
March 28, 2018, 05:25 PM
Thanks both

smodtactical
June 23, 2019, 12:24 AM
Would the M3 work in my room of 12 x 16 x 8 ft or would it be too much ? Keeping in mind I love bass and have 2x 18 inch subs in my room :)

brodricj
June 23, 2019, 12:53 AM
If the subs don't get in the way, the M3 will fit.

Jack
June 23, 2019, 01:16 AM
So the point of this is to see how big of a speaker you can cram into a small room whether it is appropriate or not? Even though two dealers recommended against it.

BlueFox
June 23, 2019, 01:33 AM
I don’t see it like that. I thought of it as getting the best speaker for the room, although I would get rid of the subs.

Jack
June 23, 2019, 01:57 AM
Even though Mike and Mark Jones have both recommended something different for that room.

brodricj
June 23, 2019, 02:01 AM
Any of the 3's will fit in that size of the room. And I 2nd the opinion to get rid of the 18" subs if it makes for a better fit of a 3 size Magico speaker.

Al M.
June 23, 2019, 05:44 AM
So the point of this is to see how big of a speaker you can cram into a small room whether it is appropriate or not? Even though two dealers recommended against it.

Good point. Many audiophiles want the biggest speaker they think they can get away with, even though this may not be optimal.

But it depends on what you want. If you don't care about imaging, a speaker too big for the room may be fine. Personally, I cannot stand when a speaker does not disappear from the soundstage, and you clearly hear the sound being partially glued to the left and right speaker. I have a room 24 x 12 x 8.5 ft, and I have a monitor / subwoofer system (which works fantastically and creates a rather large soundstage). I am afraid that, because of the limited room width, a larger speaker will not completely disappear from the soundstage in my room.

Of course, everyone will say, "my speakers disappear". But have you ever heard what this really can mean, and how great it is when it happens? I bet many haven't. Or perhaps if they did, they don't care.

Another thing to consider is coherence. With a larger speaker you often have to sit further away for the drivers to completely blend. In my room a larger speaker would be no problem in that sense, because I could sit further away without compromising soundstage depth (my speaker drivers are 7 feet from the front wall) or having to sit close to the back wall which may bring its own problems, especially with bass. And next to avoiding coherence issues, sitting further away may also be necessary with a larger speaker for achieving the act of "disappearing" from the soundstage. Yet having to sit further away in a less long room may give problems (less flexibility with creating soundstage depth, bass issues from having to sit closer to the back wall).

Yet even though I can, I don't want to sit further away than I do (distance tweeter to ear is 8.7 ft) because I would miss intimacy on small scale chamber music, for example, an intimacy I don't want to live without. With those monitors, I even could sit considerably closer than I do.

I am not saying everyone should buy monitors (even though many might be surprised what a great monitor/sub system can do). Yet restraint with the size of a multi-way floor stander, depending on room size, may be a good thing.

GSOphile
June 23, 2019, 07:35 AM
Good point. Many audiophiles want the biggest speaker they think they can get away with, even though this may not be optimal.

But it depends on what you want. If you don't care about imaging, a speaker too big for the room may be fine. Personally, I cannot stand when a speaker does not disappear from the soundstage, and you clearly hear the sound being partially glued to the left and right speaker. I have a room 24 x 12 x 8.5 ft, and I have a monitor / subwoofer system (which works fantastically and creates a rather large soundstage). I am afraid that, because of the limited room width, a larger speaker will not completely disappear from the soundstage in my room.

Of course, everyone will say, "my speakers disappear". But have you ever heard what this really can mean, and how great it is when it happens? I bet many haven't. Or perhaps if they did, they don't care.

Another thing to consider is coherence. With a larger speaker you often have to sit further away for the drivers to completely blend. In my room a larger speaker would be no problem in that sense, because I could sit further away without compromising soundstage depth (my speaker drivers are 7 feet from the front wall) or having to sit close to the back wall which may bring its own problems, especially with bass. And next to avoiding coherence issues, sitting further away may also be necessary with a larger speaker for achieving the act of "disappearing" from the soundstage. Yet having to sit further away in a less long room may give problems (less flexibility with creating soundstage depth, bass issues from having to sit closer to the back wall).

Yet even though I can, I don't want to sit further away than I do (distance tweeter to ear is 8.7 ft) because I would miss intimacy on small scale chamber music, for example, an intimacy I don't want to live without. With those monitors, I even could sit considerably closer than I do.

I am not saying everyone should buy monitors (even though many might be surprised what a great monitor/sub system can do). Yet restraint with the size of a multi-way floor stander, depending on room size, may be a good thing.

+1

smodtactical
June 23, 2019, 08:55 AM
Even though Mike and Mark Jones have both recommended something different for that room.

Also a lot of reason my other dealer was against the M3 was also just because of how frustrating it is to install and deal with a 300+ lb speaker. The M3 is not a super massive speaker so I feel it can work especially considering I may have a bigger future basement listening room and the added bass energy would be welcome. Trying to make sure I have something that can scale.

brodricj
June 23, 2019, 08:59 AM
...a lot of reason my other dealer was against the M3 was also just because of how frustrating it is to install and deal with a 300+ lb speaker..

Two reasonably agile males required. That's all. No frustration at all, unless you have stairs to negotiate.

smodtactical
June 28, 2019, 10:05 AM
Two reasonably agile males required. That's all. No frustration at all, unless you have stairs to negotiate.

Ya I do