PDA

View Full Version : Lumin D2

srt
November 7, 2017, 06:33 AM
Hello

Exciting news, is it wourt for uss whit D1 to trade upp ?

CPP
November 8, 2017, 09:49 AM
Hello

Exciting news, is it wourt for uss whit D1 to trade upp ?

I've been watching their Facebook page and never seen or heard of a new D2. You have a link ?

joeinid
November 8, 2017, 10:00 AM
If the D2 is the model without the ability to use an external power supply, I’d get a D1 while you can. The D1 is superb.

srt
November 8, 2017, 10:21 AM
lhttp://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-d2.html

Her is a link.

Joe, i agree, feel more comfortable whit the psu (sbooster) on outside.

Phil A
November 8, 2017, 10:50 AM
Unless there are things the D2 can do that the D1 can't, it may make the D1 retain a nice resale value. I have not heard the D1 (have a U1) and briefly considered selling my second system DAC (which I can probably sell for a little bit more than the D1 plus a power supply) and buying a D1 (more for the fact that I have a Windows based music server) but the amount of time I use the system is not that much and it sounds superb so I left it alone.

CPP
November 8, 2017, 11:06 AM
lhttp://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-d2.html

Her is a link.

Joe, i agree, feel more comfortable whit the psu (sbooster) on outside.

Well that's cool. I wonder how it will compare sound wise to my D1 with a external PSU.

Nuz1
November 10, 2017, 12:41 AM
Does anyone have insights as to whether this is the start of upgrades across the full line of Lumin products?

wklie
November 14, 2017, 04:46 AM
Lumin D2 uses an internal switching power supply that is better than the external power supply supplied with D1. Combined with improved digital circuitry and the proven analog design, the imaging and dynamics are improved. D2 also comes in black and silver versions.

For those users who are interesting in using an external LPS such as Sbooster, we have reserved a limited number of D1 units.

This website (in Chinese) shows more photos of D2:
http://www.avbuzz.com/audio-video/201711/lumin-d2/

randhat
November 14, 2017, 10:05 AM
This begs the question: Which sounds the best? A D1 with external power supply or D2 with new internal power supply?

joeinid
November 14, 2017, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for joining.

audio.bill
November 14, 2017, 12:15 PM
This begs the question: Which sounds the best? A D1 with external power supply or D2 with new internal power supply?
Peter would know best based on user feedback, but I'd expect it to depend upon the quality of the external supply.

AJR
November 14, 2017, 12:26 PM
Does anyone have insights as to whether this is the start of upgrades across the full line of Lumin products?

Great question. I will be buying a DAC and Streamer/Player in December or January and would love to know what Lumin’s upgrade plans are.

wklie
November 14, 2017, 01:24 PM

With D2 compared to the D1 with original power supply, D2 sounds better.

If you're asking for a comparison with the D1 with Sbooster, we won't be able to answer this question as we don't even have a Sbooster. Please consult your dealer.

kzhtoo
November 28, 2017, 04:56 PM
Great question. I will be buying a DAC and Streamer/Player in December or January and would love to know what Lumin’s upgrade plans are.

Same here. I like that D2 has internal power supply. But I'm mainly looking for a streamer/player and D2 DAC section maybe redundant for me. Wondering if Lumin has any plan for a D2 version of U1.

RDSChicago
November 30, 2017, 07:30 PM
I found the following in the public domain comparing the D1 and D2 in the event anyone is interested:

Differences we found on line for Lumin D2 and Lumin D1
- new generation CPU in D2, slightly faster processing speed
- D2 includes an internal 100/240 volt "switch mode" power supply in place of the D1 wall wart (Maybe from the Lumin M1 integrated amp/streamer)?
- The D1 allows for an optional Sbooster, external linear mode AC to DC power supply upgrade, the D2 cannot accept this option. D2 is AC powered.
- Logic and listening tests suggest better sound quality in D2, when compared to a D1, if and only if the D1 uses the included wall wart for it's power supply. However, the D1 with the external Sbooster Power Supply upgrade does sound significantly better because it is a linear mode toroidal AC to DC power supply. Many people have stated the D1 with the Sbooster upgrade, is very close in sound quality to the Lumin T1 which has a MSRP of $4000.
- It is well known that DC power is cleaner and quieter when compared to AC, especially if compared to a "switch mode" AC power supply as in the D2.
- Full size (D2) vs. mid-size/compact size (D1). Enlarged cabinet/board casing on D2.
- D2 supports DSD128 5.6MHz audio format and playback of all music file types (from the change in CPU).
- D1 supports DSD64 2.8MHz audio format and playback of all music file types
- Outputs and other connections on the rear panel are the same for the D1 and D2
- both Silver and Black color available in D2 to match consumer preference, D1 is shipped in a silver finish only
- IEC power cord socket used for the internal "switch mode" power supply found in the D2. Power cord included is for internal/external AC use only.
- The Lumin Application and streaming services support, are exactly the same for D1 and D2.
- D1 and D2 use the same DACs (Wolfson WM8741).
- MSRP D1 with wall wart: $2000, with Sbooster external linear mode toroidal power supply upgrade: $2375
- MSRP D2 with internal "100/240 switching mode" (consumer grade) AC power supply: $2300

wklie
December 1, 2017, 03:14 AM
- D2 includes an internal 100/240 volt "switch mode" power supply in place of the D1 wall wart (Maybe from the Lumin M1 integrated amp/streamer)?

The D2 internal power supply is different from the one inside the M1, because the latter needs a lot more power for the amplifier.

Note that we only have a few units of D1 remaining for purchase.

hkval
December 3, 2017, 10:19 AM
I have had the new D2 for a couple of weeks and really love it. I have XLR's running to my Pass XP-30 and the Power Cable is plugged into a PurePower 2000 which I would never want to be without.
This week I will be getting a BNC to RCA digital cable to plug into my K-01X and be able to see if that makes an even bigger improvement using Tidal through the Lumin. I will still have to play the MQA's through the XLR's but I am hoping the other CD quality will sound even better through the Esoteric. - ALL FUN
HK

Mike
December 3, 2017, 11:48 AM
I have had the new D2 for a couple of weeks and really love it. I have XLR's running to my Pass XP-30 and the Power Cable is plugged into a PurePower 2000 which I would never want to be without.
This week I will be getting a BNC to RCA digital cable to plug into my K-01X and be able to see if that makes an even bigger improvement using Tidal through the Lumin. I will still have to play the MQA's through the XLR's but I am hoping the other CD quality will sound even better through the Esoteric. - ALL FUN
HK

Congrats HK. It’s a terrific piece. Have you played any MQA files?

hkval
December 3, 2017, 12:15 PM
Congrats HK. It’s a terrific piece. Have you played any MQA files?

MQA is a step up in quality and I was surprised to see so much available. Lumin is easy to set up based on the fact that I could do it and it worked on the first attempt. It also looks great in the rack. There is a Masters' List and also the album is marked MQA with a symbol when you look a CD up by artist. Very nice setup

RDSChicago
December 3, 2017, 12:23 PM
Congrats on the D2. Still waiting for the comparison between D1 with Sbooster PS and D2.

wklie
December 3, 2017, 11:46 PM
This week I will be getting a BNC to RCA digital cable to plug into my K-01X and be able to see if that makes an even bigger improvement using Tidal through the Lumin. I will still have to play the MQA's through the XLR's

If you use the Lumin D2 digital output, you can set the MQA mode to Digital Output. This will do the MQA Core decoding (first unfold) to 88.2kHz or 96kHz to BNC-SPDIF. (Note that analog outputs will be muted when playing MQA this way.)

hkval
December 4, 2017, 08:36 AM
If you use the Lumin D2 digital output, you can set the MQA mode to Digital Output. This will do the MQA Core decoding (first unfold) to 88.2kHz or 96kHz to BNC-SPDIF. (Note that analog outputs will be muted when playing MQA this way.)

That is fantastic advice. I had no idea. My cable comes in this week so I am excited.
Thank You,
HK

wklie
January 22, 2018, 05:58 AM
Another Lumin D2 user posted his impressions over at Roon forum, comparing it with the DAC inside his integrated amplifier:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lumin-d2-could-it-be-a-perceivable-upgrade-in-sound-quality/36567/24?u=wklie

wklie
February 12, 2018, 01:16 PM
Someone in Hong Kong auditioned Lumin D2, CXN V2 and Oppo Sonica and bought D2:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fpost76.hk%2Fforum.php%3Fmod%3Dredi rect%26goto%3Dfindpost%26ptid%3D270252%26pid%3D420 6272%26fromuid%3D92769&edit-text=&act=url

aKnyght
February 28, 2018, 09:24 AM
the D2 is certainly an elegant, one-box solution for computer audio... has me very interested.

anyone have any thoughts on how it (or the D1 predecessor) sounds versus the ps audio DS junior and/or the auralic altair -- two other similar dac/streamers in the mix for me?

thanks!

Mike
February 28, 2018, 10:17 AM
the D2 is certainly an elegant, one-box solution for computer audio... has me very interested.

anyone have any thoughts on how it (or the D1 predecessor) sounds versus the ps audio DS junior and/or the auralic altair -- two other similar dac/streamers in the mix for me?

thanks!

The D2 is a nice step up from the D1. I sold one to HK, hopefully he will chime in with his thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wklie
March 4, 2018, 11:58 PM
Two users of Lumin D2 reported XLR output sounds better (which is expected because of Lumin true balanced design) - that is even true with one of them using an integrated amp that does not use a true balanced design, but internally converts balanced to single ended.

hkval
March 5, 2018, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=Mike;231610]The D2 is a nice step up from the D1. I sold one to HK, hopefully he will chime in with his thoughts.

I have both the Lumin and the PS Audio Junior. I have the Lumin cabled with XLR to the Pass XP 30 Preamp and also Digital Cable to the Esoteric K-01-X and it sounds great either way.
The PS Audio Junior, in my den system, was far superior to the DAC in my integrated McIntosh and each free upgrade has moved it to an even higher level.
The Junior is a substantial piece of equipment and the Lumin is adorable. Either choice is a good one.
HK

Dancool
March 15, 2018, 04:32 AM
Anyone experiencing this problem? After loading playlist on tidal When press play my lumin just keep skipping tracks and not able to play at all At the moment i can only get lumin to play with Spotify Any help will be much appreciated

joeinid
March 15, 2018, 08:16 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Mike
March 15, 2018, 08:21 AM
Dancool, welcome!

aKnyght
March 15, 2018, 08:44 AM
Anyone experiencing this problem? After loading playlist on tidal When press play my lumin just keep skipping tracks and not able to play at all At the moment i can only get lumin to play with Spotify Any help will be much appreciated

experienced this exact thing a few months ago. it turned out to be nothing related to hardware or any associated playback software... for some reason after an operating system update i was logged out of a streaming service. after logging back in all was good again... so, might give that a check for tidal at the place where you log-in -- lumin app, roon, etc.

wklie
March 15, 2018, 11:32 AM

Please logout your Tidal account from all devices (if any) that is not Lumin, and computer.

Then use Lumin app to logout from Tidal, then re-login.

Mr Peabody
March 15, 2018, 11:18 PM
What is the D2's sound character like? Does it come off fairly neutral or more warm or polite? I'd like to find a one box solution to get started with, is the D2 easy enough to set up and use?

If memory serves when I was comparing the D2 and Altair, the D2 doesn't stream wireless in the way the Altair does. If so, is there a work around like an extender and Ethernet attachment, I forget what it's called?

wklie
March 15, 2018, 11:45 PM
For sound character (warm) and ease of use I'll leave that to other users to comment on, or you may check out the various D1 reviews - there are D2 reviews but they are not in English.

For WiFi to Ethernet conversion, you may use a WiFi to Ethernet adapter, or known as wireless bridge. Some (not all) WiFi routers can be configured to operate in WiFi Client mode that performs a similar function (but with usually better hardware).

You need an iPad to use Lumin.

Stecko
March 17, 2018, 07:03 AM
Hi Guys

Anyone had chance compare d2 vs d1+sbooster or other power linear supply?
This should be very hot compare:)

Cheers

Stecko
March 18, 2018, 03:15 AM
Hi Guys

Anyone compared D1+ lps vs d2?
I'm very interested about results:)
Must be someone who did this:)

Cheers

joeinid
March 18, 2018, 05:33 AM
Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

wklie
March 18, 2018, 11:27 AM
What is the D2's sound character like? Does it come off fairly neutral or more warm or polite? I'd like to find a one box solution to get started with, is the D2 easy enough to set up and use?

While waiting for others to chime in, I google translated a D2 review from https://www.hifi.nl/artikel/26454/Review-Lumin-D2-stabiele-alleseter-met-uitstekende-klank.html , it says this:

The Lumin D2 also has a neutral sound with a very light touch of warmth. Dynamics and spaciousness are in good hands with the Lumin D2.

For the setup, the main thing is to get MinimServer running on a computer or NAS - with some NAS it can be installed without too much difficulty and is actually easier than what the lengthy description seems to imply, and set your music library path correctly:
http://minimserver.com/installing.html

With the iPad connected to the WiFi router of your network, the Lumin app should see the MinimServer and let you choose albums and add them to playlist.

Stecko
March 21, 2018, 01:46 PM
Hi Guys

Anyone compared D1+ lps vs d2?
I'm very interested about results:)
Must be someone who did this:)

CheersAnyone? :)
Can't believe nobody compare those two:)

Jack
March 21, 2018, 07:56 PM
I don't suspect anyone but a dealer would have made the comparison and I doubt they are going to say anything that isn't positive of either combo. If you own and are happy with the D1+Sbooster why would you have a reason to just spend the money to try the other option.

wklie
April 26, 2018, 10:48 PM
https://www.sbooster.com/MKII-sneak-peak/

Lumin cannot endorse any internal component change.

Any unit shipped back for repair must contain the original components with no hardware modification (including the drive in L1).

vortrex
May 12, 2018, 10:27 PM
I got a D2 the other day from Mike and I'm really impressed with everything from the packaging to the build quality to the ease of use to the sound. I didn't expect it to be this good. I figured it would primarily be a streamer with the DAC as an afterthought, not at all!

Projectman
July 10, 2018, 11:04 AM
I powered on my Lumin D2 this morning and there is only a Circle icon on the display. No other information and the Lumin app no longer sees the D2, but can see my U1. Anybody have a clue about how to regain access to the D2?

wklie
July 10, 2018, 12:19 PM
Please power down your Lumin units, iPad, and all network switches/AP. Power cycle the WiFi router, then the switches/AP. Wait for 5 minutes, then power up both Lumin and the iPad.

When there is no playlist, only a circle appears on the front panel.

Projectman
July 10, 2018, 12:40 PM
Thanks Peter. It working again!

wklie
November 24, 2018, 03:41 AM
Roon forum member posted his impressions of Lumin D2 in https://community.roonlabs.com/t/dsd128-and-384khz-on-lumin-d2/52568/16?u=wklie

I genuinely cried during the first track I listened to…for me it really was that good at conveying the music. Vocals and instruments all seem to just sound more present, 3 dimensional and organic, drums and guitar in particular sound as I believe they should. The background against which they appear also seems somehow darker and more silent. The rest of my system, which lusts longingly for a future upgrade to Amphion speakers and a Hegel amp, has no business sounding this good. My headphones, connected via the balanced outputs to an Arcam rHead, also sound completely upgraded. I’ll make a decision over the weekend after some more hard-headed comparison but at this point I’d be very surprised if I don’t choose to keep it.

mark090852
November 24, 2018, 10:06 PM
I just received my Lumin D2 today. I know it must be "pilot error", but I have been unable to get it to play any tracks. I have a subscription to TIDAL and I can bring up all my music there, but when I click on the "play" button in the Lumin IPad app, nothing happens. Same thing for playing the music that showed up in the Lumin App when I first connected to the D2. I can see the music in the app, I can switch from one song to another on the app, but the play button is not functional. Also, if I airplay Tidal from my Ipad, it will not play. It shows it is connected to the Lumin, but no sound. In all cases, I see the song listed on the front window of the Lumin, and a circle, but it never shows it playing. It's got to be in my settings, but I cannot figure it out. My Lumin is connected directly to my McIntosh MA252 and to the my home network. Everything seems to work fine except the "play" button is non functioning. I would appreciate any help that could be provided.

Jack
November 24, 2018, 10:21 PM
Try turning the Lumin and the iPad completely off wait a couple of minutes then turn them back on Lumin first. If that doesn't work try logging out of Tidal and back in inside the Lumin app.

mark090852
November 25, 2018, 12:33 AM
Try turning the Lumin and the iPad completely off wait a couple of minutes then turn them back on Lumin first. If that doesn't work try logging out of Tidal and back in inside the Lumin app.
Thanks so much. That seemed to fix it!

Mordante
December 24, 2018, 05:24 PM
How would a D2 compare to my Auralic Aries LE with Sbooster and Schiit Gungnir multibit gen 5 usb?

Sometimes I think about reducing my dac + streamer for a all in one.

vortrex
December 24, 2018, 11:06 PM
How would a D2 compare to my Auralic Aries LE with Sbooster and Schiit Gungnir multibit gen 5 usb?

Sometimes I think about reducing my dac + streamer for a all in one.

I’ve had the Aries and Gungnir in a headphone system and now I have a D2. I easily prefer the D2.

Mordante
December 26, 2018, 08:55 AM
I’ve had the Aries and Gungnir in a headphone system and now I have a D2. I easily prefer the D2.

Did you have the multibit Gungnir?

vortrex
December 26, 2018, 10:34 AM
Did you have the multibit Gungnir?

Yes, it was the Multibit and the Airies model with the dual femto and factory power supply.

wklie
February 22, 2019, 03:55 AM
audiophilestyle.com member davehg posted his impressions of Lumin D2 + Roon compared to Sony HAP-Z1ES at https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/18516-sony-hap-z1es-has-arrived/?do=findComment&comment=931168

On Redbook, with every file, the Lumin/Roon combo produced a warmer and more nuanced richer sound, with better detail. The Sony had a more neutral slightly clinical sound. Both were very enjoyable, but my ears easily preferred the Lumin/Roon combo. More bounce, energy and groove.

greyscale
February 23, 2019, 01:12 PM
Have a Lumin D2 on order from Mike @ Suncoast . Does Lumin perform any "factory burn in"?. IF not, is there a suggested burn in time frame?.

Sean
February 23, 2019, 02:40 PM
My humble take is that you benefit greater from keeping the unit powered on all the time vs turning off/on for each listening session.

That said, though, I streamed music for a few days straight (with the pre/power amps off) to run everything in.

Enjoy your D2, it’s a neat little unit. I love mine.

Have a Lumin D2 on order from Mike @ Suncoast . Does Lumin perform any "factory burn in"?. IF not, is there a suggested burn in time frame?.

Mike
February 23, 2019, 03:04 PM
The D2 might be just the best digital value product on the market.

It does everything. Player, DAC, MQA, Roon, DSD, QoBuz, Tidal, etc.

It’s like the Swiss Army knife of digital for a super great price.

RDSChicago
February 23, 2019, 03:04 PM
Still loving my D1 with linear power supply. Trying out hi-res on Qobuz streaming and so far I’m very impressed.

wklie
February 23, 2019, 11:58 PM

Every unit is hardware tested by the factory for a period of time and then it is retested and inspected for a second time in our Hong Kong office before they are shipped. It would not be regarded as audio equipment burn-in. So users may burn it in 7x24 for two weeks in repeat mode with a playlist that includes different sample rates and PCM/DSD, with the power amp turned off if necessary.

CPP
February 24, 2019, 10:02 AM

Just leave it one and play it. I haven't turned mine off in 5 months, heck maybe even longer. In my opinion, its the best value in audio.

thingswelike
February 25, 2019, 04:18 AM
Deleted as it was a duplicate of wklie's post

grubble
February 28, 2019, 08:16 PM
I'm considering a D2 but wonder if anyone has compared it to an Exogal Comet, which I currently have. My consideration for going with a D2 at this point is to eliminate having two devices (microRendu + Comet DAC) and just having the all-in-one solution of the D2. Correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption here. I also like the presentation of the Comet itself but have read a number of reviews that the D2 is a bit more detailed and warmish sounding compared to the mostly neutral presentation of the Comet.

greyscale
March 12, 2019, 01:44 PM
Listening to a MQA album on Qobuz, I don't see any indication on the D2 front panel the a MQA file is playing. Is this normal?.

thingswelike
March 12, 2019, 01:53 PM
I don't think MQA is supported by Qobuz.

In the App can you see the small MQA logo next to the track, or a Hi-Res one?

If you're on TIDAL, then an MQA logo would be visible and it would also say MQA on the front panel. If you can't see that, then go to App>Settings>LUMIN Options>MQA Mode and check that it's on Analogue Output.

CPP
March 12, 2019, 01:54 PM
Listening to a MQA album on Qobuz, I don't see any indication on the D2 front panel the a MQA file is playing. Is this normal?.

Qobuz is not supporting MQA but there are a few albums that have passed their view. This one popped up for me this morning on my Lumin.

IMG_0611.JPG (https://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=25159&d=1552401759)

wklie
March 12, 2019, 09:17 PM

Please make sure Lumin MQA setting is set to Analog. There are often multiple formats/versions of the same album on both Tidal and Qobuz. Please make sure you try all versions (with Roon some are hidden and need to be chosen manually). With Qobuz, albums can get downgraded due to subscription type and region. Certain MQA albums only have a few tracks in MQA, not the whole album.

MQA on Qobuz requires a bit explanation. Qobuz does not support MQA as a business direction, but if the labels (e.g. 2L) supply Qobuz only with MQA albums (https://community.roonlabs.com/t/qobuz-subscriptions-questions/58691/15?u=wklie), Qobuz has no choice but to stream it (https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55491-qobuz-streaming-mqa-cds/?do=findComment&comment=925069). This is causing a controversy at audiophilestyle.com .

grubble
March 21, 2019, 09:52 PM
I'm considering a D2 but wonder if anyone has compared it to an Exogal Comet, which I currently have.

Just wanted to provide a response to my own question, in case anyone in the future is looking for feedback around the comparison between the D2 and the Comet.

The Comet errs on the neutral and dry side of things. The D2 digs a little deeper into the music and presents a bit more detail on music. In playing Vijay Iyer’s “Mutations” album on Quboz, the upsampling on the D2 presents a lot more information than I have heard it via the microRendu + Comet combo. There’s a lot of information on the strings tracks that has a lot of spatial cues, subtle but quite effective at painting the palette of the stage for the listener. The Comet gets this almost right but causes a bit of overlap and smearing of instruments into each other. The D2 almost gets it right with placing them in distinct positions with a bit of spatiality and separateness to them.

On Gogo Penguin’s brilliant “A Humdrum Star”, there’s a drive to the second track “Raven” that has a pace and rhythm in the drums which doesn’t sound slow but leads the piano accompanying. On the Comet, the drums recede into the background and doesn’t have the urgency on that drive with this track. A different presentation.

I’ve got around 40 hours on the D2 whereas the Comet has been with me for a couple of years now. Definitely appreciate the convenience of one unit to do streaming and DAC duties but didn’t expect the DAC to be quite outstanding. This isn’t a laid back sounding unit at all, which I thought surprising. Employing Wolfson DAC chips, a previous DAC I heard with these were quite warm sounding and laid back. The D2 has some of the warmth but is actually quite neutral overall in its presentation. The implementation has a lot to do with this so the folks at Lumin know how to squeeze the detail out of this DAC chipset.

Quite impressed overall in my system. Connected via balanced outs to a Luxman L-550AX driving Merlin TSM-MxE speakers.

-dave

wklie
March 21, 2019, 10:28 PM
In playing Vijay Iyer’s “Mutations” album on Quboz, the upsampling on the D2 presents a lot more information than I have heard it via the microRendu + Comet combo.

Thanks for comparison.

What upsampling setting do you use with the D2?

grubble
March 21, 2019, 10:37 PM
Peter, here are the settings. Haven’t played around too much on settings yet.

Andik777
March 21, 2019, 10:39 PM
Just leave it one and play it. I haven't turned mine off in 5 months, heck maybe even longer. In my opinion, its the best value in audio.

Totally agree. For me the Lumin D2 for price / quality is unbeatable. My Lumin D2 after 300-350 hours started to sound a lot better.

greyscale
April 4, 2019, 02:34 PM
Have had my D2 on 24-7 since I received it from Mike in Feb. Love the sound, except, at times when playing a Qobuz album selection. Occasionally at the start of a track, I get WHITE NOISE. Not sure of the reason. I get the WN with A+ from Qobuz. Will see If this is from Qobuz or a internet problem. Will also run some files from my local (NAS) to see If the problem persists.

wklie
April 4, 2019, 09:33 PM
I get the WN with A+ from Qobuz. Will see If this is from Qobuz or a internet problem.

Based on the user reports, the white noise only happens with using Audirvana+ to play to a Lumin. If you use Lumin app or Linn Kazoo app or Roon you will not experience white noise.

still-one
April 6, 2019, 09:53 PM
I am considering replacing the endpoint that feeds my whole house set-up. The SQ is important but not critical since all of the speakers are in-wall units. What is important is that the unit is a plug and play Roon all in one end point. I just want to be able to plug the device into my network, have Roon see then configure the unit.

It looks like the D2 should fit the bill. Has anyone had a issue when connecting the D2's via ethernet cable connected to a wireless device/switch?

Jack
April 6, 2019, 10:00 PM
Jim

I ran the D1 that way for over a year with no problem and the D2 shouldn't be any different. Still doing it with both the Teac Reference and the Bridge II.

still-one
April 6, 2019, 10:34 PM
Jim

I ran the D1 that way for over a year with no problem and the D2 shouldn't be any different. Still doing it with both the Teac Reference and the Bridge II.

Jack, thanks. That is the way I am running my endpoint for Sooloos which is currently feeding the whole house set-up. Looking for a better Roon solution.

Jack
April 6, 2019, 10:50 PM
The D2 should certainly fill the bill. I sold my D1 and bought the Teac just to try something different in terms of the DAC chipset but it also runs on the Lumin software like the Esoteric streamers so I didn't have to change or lose anything.

grubble
April 8, 2019, 02:58 PM
Has anyone had a issue when connecting the D2's via ethernet cable connected to a wireless device/switch?

I am running it this way currently. Have a UniFi AC PRO AP (Access Point) connecting wirelessly in mesh mode. Then use the extra Ethernet port on the AP to connect my D2. There was a bit of configuration of the AP initially to get it to be part of the mesh network. It operates exclusively for the purpose of providing the D2 connectivity to my network, not for allowing other WiFi devices to attach to the AP.

-dave

wklie
April 9, 2019, 04:21 AM
Have a UniFi AC PRO AP (Access Point) connecting wirelessly in mesh mode.

We need to replace our dying WiFi access point in our office. We may consider this brand too.

still-one
April 9, 2019, 02:23 PM
I am running it this way currently. Have a UniFi AC PRO AP (Access Point) connecting wirelessly in mesh mode. Then use the extra Ethernet port on the AP to connect my D2. There was a bit of configuration of the AP initially to get it to be part of the mesh network. It operates exclusively for the purpose of providing the D2 connectivity to my network, not for allowing other WiFi devices to attach to the AP.

-dave

I have been using a Orbi mesh network since last summer. I have posted elsewhere what poor support Netgear provides for these units. I was unable to connect any of my audio related devices directly to the ports on the main Orbi router or either of the satellites without inserting a TrensNet switch at each point. If I decided to go with the D2 that is how it would also be connected.

WillinBangkok
April 24, 2019, 05:34 AM
Can I use the D2 as a pre amp(I see it has digital volume control function)?
ie I have a class d power amp and want to keep things v simple.

Perfect Sense
April 24, 2019, 05:38 AM
Yes you can 😊👍🏼🎵

Projectman
April 24, 2019, 07:25 AM
My Orbi router and Orbi satellite have worked flawlessly. The Orbis are directly connected to a Sonos amp, Lumin U1, Direcstream DAC, and Direcstream Memory Player. Never have had an issue and no switch needed.

wklie
May 26, 2019, 11:28 PM
Lumin D2 review by Fidelity Magazine (google translate):
https://www.fidelity-magazin.de/2019/05/22/lumin-d2-streamingplayer-im-test/ (https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fidelity-magazin.de%2F2019%2F05%2F22%2Flumin-d2-streamingplayer-im-test%2F)

greyscale
May 27, 2019, 02:17 PM
Would like to connect a Lumin D2 to a Marantz SR8012 using coax. Would a BNC male to RCA female adaptor (gold) work?. Already have the D2 running using balanced outs to my preamp. THX.

Jack
May 27, 2019, 02:45 PM
Shouldn't be a problem just turn the digital output off when you're not using it.

Tubes
May 27, 2019, 08:21 PM
Can a German speaking member please translate this graph from the link that Peter provided in post #84?

https://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=25700&stc=1

wklie
May 27, 2019, 09:30 PM
Would like to connect a Lumin D2 to a Marantz SR8012 using coax. Would a BNC male to RCA female adaptor (gold) work?. Already have the D2 running using balanced outs to my preamp. THX.

Adapter should work, or a BNC-to-RCA digital coax cable.

If you have previously disabled the digital output, you'll need to enable it to use the BNC output.

When using digital output you'll need to change MQA mode to Digital Output and DSD mode to PCM. When switching back to analog output you'll need to change MQA mode back to Analog Output and DSD mode back to Bitstream.

tubegem
May 28, 2019, 05:47 PM
The adapter works on my D1, so you should’n have any issues.

FDPDK
May 29, 2019, 04:11 PM
Can a German speaking member please translate this graph from the link that Peter provided in post #84?

https://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=25700&stc=1
Steve if no Germans get back to this i will try my best interpretation of it.

Tubes
May 29, 2019, 04:19 PM
Steve if no Germans get back to this i will try my best interpretation of it.
Thanks Flemming, I really appreciate your offer. :congrats:

FDPDK
May 29, 2019, 04:21 PM
Euphonish = something that sounds in tune
Lebendig = lively / alive
Analytisch = Analytical
Sonor = Not too sure about this one but i would say something along density
If any Germans are around on this one please correct me if i am wrong on any of this terms.

Tubes
May 29, 2019, 04:24 PM
Euphonish = something that sounds in tune
Lebendig = lively / alive
Analytisch = Analytical
Sonor = Not too sure about this one but i would say something along density
If any Germans are around on this one please correct me if i am wrong on any of this terms.
Thank you again Flemming, that's more than I knew about it this morning!

FDPDK
May 29, 2019, 04:32 PM
Your welcome Steve , i am glad i can help.

Dancool
June 5, 2019, 07:29 AM
Anybody can help? Having trouble with my d2. My d2 will only play the first song on my loader play list After the first song ended it will take a while to move to next song on the list but will not play Just skipping from song to song and not playing To listen to the list of songs in the playlist now I will have to tap on the song every time one song end in order for it to play the next song. If I don’t tap it will just skip from song to song but not playing And when using Spotify connect I am having problem connecting my lumin on the Spotify devices list Either I can find my lumin on the list but couldn’t connect or at times my lumin don’t even appear on the list. The skip in and not playing problem I use to encounter in the past And most time I just have to disable tidal and re login in and the problem will be gone But this time this don’t work anymore
Have been using my d2 for about a year Great product hope to get it solved soon

wklie
June 5, 2019, 11:44 AM
Please power off Lumin using the rear power switch and iPad. Power cycle the Wi-Fi router and all network switches. Wait for 5 minutes then power everything up.

Dancool
June 5, 2019, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the quick response It’s ok now Happy times
谢谢

Audio4me
September 28, 2019, 11:22 PM
I have an older I pad mini. What is the oldest version of IOS that will work with the Lumin app?

Can anyone give a comparison of the Auralic Altair to the Lumin D2?

Audio4me
September 28, 2019, 11:29 PM
Does the Lumin app support Amazon hires? If not, what is the projected date? Does Lumin support Quobuz?

Audio4me
September 28, 2019, 11:31 PM
Does the Lumin app have an equalizer built in like the Auralic Lightning app?

joeinid
September 30, 2019, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Mike
September 30, 2019, 01:06 PM
Lumin app does not have EQ, but it has a plethora of upsampling options and with a Lumin, you can also use Roon which does have EQ options. Lumin has QoBuz and Tidal.

wklie
September 30, 2019, 01:16 PM
I have an older I pad mini. What is the oldest version of IOS that will work with the Lumin app?

iOS 8.

klipschman70
October 2, 2019, 07:45 PM
Hi Peter

Few days ago I saw a notice for new firmware (vers. 11.6) for my D2. After the update my Lumin always stops playing music after several songs then continues the song again after few minutes. This has never happened before with the older firmware. Could you see the possibility if the new firmware somehow create this issue. Btw, there is no change to the network where Lumin is connected to. Appreciate your suggestion.

thanks

Harry

Audio4me
October 3, 2019, 12:39 PM
In a pretty high end system what sound quality difference would I hear going from a Bluesound Node2 to the Lumin D2?

wklie
October 3, 2019, 12:42 PM
Few days ago I saw a notice for new firmware (vers. 11.6) for my D2. After the update my Lumin always stops playing music after several songs then continues the song again after few minutes. This has never happened before with the older firmware. Could you see the possibility if the new firmware somehow create this issue. Btw, there is no change to the network where Lumin is connected to.

Please power cycle the D2. Save your current playlist, clear the current playlist, then add a few albums from MinimServer and try playing them again.

I'll also test it in my setup at work. However, it's been almost 2 weeks since the release of the firmware, and we have not received any other firmware 11.6 issue report.

Andik777
October 3, 2019, 12:53 PM
In a pretty high end system what sound quality difference would I hear going from a Bluesound Node2 to the Lumin D2?

Hello Audio4me, I heard the Blusound 2i (from my son-in-law) and I had the Lumin D2, for my ears there is a lot of difference between these 2 streamers. Lumin D2 is a wonderful team, it has a very natural and great sound, the musicality of Lumin D2 is exceptional. If you can give yourself the pleasure to buy the D2 do not hesitate. Regards.

klipschman70
October 3, 2019, 08:57 PM
Please power cycle the D2. Save your current playlist, clear the current playlist, then add a few albums from MinimServer and try playing them again.

I'll also test it in my setup at work. However, it's been almost 2 weeks since the release of the firmware, and we have not received any other firmware 11.6 issue report.

Hi Peter

Thanks for your quick response. I did cycle the power to my Lumin and it still stops playing music after few songs and then continues playing again. Next I will try to clear current playlist.

Harry

Jack
October 3, 2019, 09:32 PM
Peter

I had it happen also multiple times using the NT-505 with the Lumin app. Switched to the HR Streamer app and the problem went away. Seems to have started after the IOS 13.1.1 bug fix earlier in the week. Just noticed there is now another bug fix 13.1.2 so no telling what it will do.

wklie
October 3, 2019, 09:42 PM
I did cycle the power to my Lumin and it still stops playing music after few songs and then continues playing again. Next I will try to clear current playlist.

When it "stops playing", is the track completely played or is it in the middle?

When it "continues playing again", does it repeat the last played track, from the point where it stopped (if wasn't completely played), or does it play from the next track in the playlist?

From the Lumin to your network switch/router, is it all wired without going through any WiFi conversion?

Is your iOS device running iOS 13.x?

Due to what Jack said, could you try: start playback in repeat mode, then power down your iOS device. See if the Lumin still stops playback unexpectedly.

wklie
October 3, 2019, 09:44 PM
I had it happen also multiple times using the NT-505 with the Lumin app. Switched to the HR Streamer app and the problem went away. Seems to have started after the IOS 13.1.1 bug fix earlier in the week.

Both Lumin and NT-505 (current firmware: Dec 2018), because of OpenHome standard, are supposed to keep playing the playlist even if the iPad is powered down. While we are taking care of cosmetic issues in Lumin app bring by iOS 13, music playback problem is currently unexpected at this point.

Jack
October 3, 2019, 09:53 PM
Peter

When the music stops the timer and the circle keep moving. Sometimes it will come back in the same song and sometimes at the start of the next one.

klipschman70
October 4, 2019, 06:07 AM
When it "stops playing", is the track completely played or is it in the middle?

When it "continues playing again", does it repeat the last played track, from the point where it stopped (if wasn't completely played), or does it play from the next track in the playlist?

From the Lumin to your network switch/router, is it all wired without going through any WiFi conversion?

Is your iOS device running iOS 13.x?

Due to what Jack said, could you try: start playback in repeat mode, then power down your iOS device. See if the Lumin still stops playback unexpectedly.

Peter

My Lumin stops playing in the middle of the song (incomplete) then after a while it continues playing from where it stops. Exactly the same effect if you would press pause button.

There is no wifi conversion between my Lumin to router and NAS. And I use android device not iOS.

Harry

wklie
October 4, 2019, 06:23 AM
I tested Firmware 11.6 with iOS 13.1.2 and did not experience this issue.

Harry,

Please power down the Lumin, Android device and NAS. Power cycle the wifi router and all network switches. Wait for 5 minutes then power them up.

Then use Lumin app to factory reset the D2, in settings, options under D2, About.

If it still has problem please try playing an album from usb drive plugged into D2 instead of NAS, and use a different network cable connected to a different network port.

klipschman70
October 4, 2019, 05:51 PM
I tested Firmware 11.6 with iOS 13.1.2 and did not experience this issue.

Harry,

Please power down the Lumin, Android device and NAS. Power cycle the wifi router and all network switches. Wait for 5 minutes then power them up.

Then use Lumin app to factory reset the D2, in settings, options under D2, About.

If it still has problem please try playing an album from usb drive plugged into D2 instead of NAS, and use a different network cable connected to a different network port.

Peter

Ok, I will cycle power etc, once i get a chance, but I wonder why. It has been fine for a year until the last update. And I use wireworld cat8 cable between my Lumin and router. Is there any possibility for you to test with Android device instead of iOS?

Thanks again

Harry

wklie
October 5, 2019, 12:10 AM
Yes, I can test that next week after our holiday. By design the control point cannot cause the player to stop playback though. You can shutdown your Android device and the Lumin D2 will still play.

klipschman70
October 5, 2019, 08:14 AM
Yes, I can test that next week after our holiday. By design the control point cannot cause the player to stop playback though. You can shutdown your Android device and the Lumin D2 will still play.

Thanks for your continuous support Peter.

Harry

Audio4me
October 6, 2019, 06:57 PM
Peter, what do you think sounds better, the T1 or the D2? Primarily for streaming Tidal and Qubuz.

Audio4me
October 6, 2019, 09:13 PM
Does D2 streaming of Tidal and Quobuz sound better than a cd?

Mike
October 6, 2019, 09:32 PM
Does D2 streaming of Tidal and Quobuz sound better than a cd?

No

wklie
October 8, 2019, 02:42 AM
Is there any possibility for you to test with Android device instead of iOS?

Done and have not experienced the problem you described.

klipschman70
October 8, 2019, 06:06 AM
Done and have not experienced the problem you described.

Hi Peter

I finally managed to cycle power to all my network devices as you recommended (router, switch, NAS and even my android device). After booting up, my Lumin plays music without stopping any longer! Thanks for your help!

Audio4me
October 8, 2019, 09:18 AM
Can anybody comment on the sound quality of the D2 compared to the Bluesound Node2?

Andik777
October 8, 2019, 09:38 AM
Can anybody comment on the sound quality of the D2 compared to the Bluesound Node2?

Look at message #107, if you have more questions I am at your disposal

PhilMarlowe
September 30, 2021, 03:55 AM
Hello, I’ve currently been using the D2 the past couple years plugged into my mc5200 integrated amps balanced xlr inputs with great results.

I’m curious if I can have the D2 xlr balanced outs plugged into the McIntosh, and also use the unbalanced rca outputs on the Lumin to a separate headphone amp?

Not playing at the same time, but plugged in at the same time so I can switch back and forth between my Regular McIntosh living room set up, or when I want to listen to headphones through a separate amp without having to unplug cables every time?

wklie
September 30, 2021, 06:55 AM
Yes, as long as it does not cause a ground loop.

PhilMarlowe
September 30, 2021, 02:33 PM
Excellent! Thank you.